What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Case Against Global-Warming Skepticism (3 Viewers)

No no, there couldn't possibly be any consequences from massive clear cutting removing land based carbon sinks combined with emitting millions of years of sequestered CO2 into the atmosphere in the span of about 100 years.
It's all part of the natural order of things. The climate has been changing for billions of years, don't you know.
There is nothing mutual exclusive about the environment changing naturally and man causing an impact to environment. They both are happening and only the nut case global warmers attempt to claim that they are not.
Link to anyone ever saying that there are no natural influences on the environment?
It was the whole reason the global warmers created the whole hockey stick illusion. And is also the logic behind the idiotic argument made numerous times on this thread that it is somehow amazing that temperatures have been above the average temperature for the 1900's for hundreds of consecutive months. And to a lesser degree, the IPCC
:lmao:

Don't worry folks, Congress is all over this

H.R. 1422, which passed 229-191, would shake up the EPA’s Scientific Advisory Board, placing restrictions on those pesky scientists and creating room for experts with overt financial ties to the industries affected by EPA regulations.

The bill is being framed as a play for transparency: Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas, argued that the board’s current structure is problematic because it “excludes industry experts, but not officials for environmental advocacy groups.” The inclusion of industry experts, he said, would right this injustice.

But the White House, which threatened to veto the bill, said it would “negatively affect the appointment of experts and would weaken the scientific independence and integrity of the SAB.”

In what might be the most ridiculous aspect of the whole thing, the bill forbids scientific experts from participating in “advisory activities” that either directly or indirectly involve their own work. In case that wasn’t clear: experts would be forbidden from sharing their expertise in their own research — the bizarre assumption, apparently, being that having conducted peer-reviewed studies on a topic would constitute a conflict of interest. “In other words,” wrote Union of Concerned Scientists director Andrew A. Rosenberg in an editorial for RollCall, “academic scientists who know the most about a subject can’t weigh in, but experts paid by corporations who want to block regulations can.
Wonder which oil company wrote that bill

What they don’t agree on is by how much. This issue is called ‘climate sensitivity’, the amount the temperatures will increase if CO2 is doubled from pre-industrial levels.

Climate models have predicted the least temperature rise would be on average 1.65°C (2.97°F) , but upper estimates vary a lot, averaging 5.2°C (9.36°F). Current best estimates are for a rise of around 3°C (5.4°F), with a likely maximum of 4.5°C (8.1°F).

So far, the average global temperature has gone up by about 0.8 degrees C (1.4°F):

"According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS)…the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8°Celsius (1.4°Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade."
Let's assume that warming continues at the current rate for the next 50 years - that's 1° C (3° F).

You guys don't think we will be using non-carbon based fuel by then?

http://crx.sagepub.com/content/39/6/701

1. 1American University, Washington, DC, USA
  2. 2The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, USA
  1. P. Sol Hart, School of Communication, American University, 4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20016, USA Email: hart@american.edu
AbstractThe deficit-model of science communication assumes increased communication about science issues will move public opinion toward the scientific consensus. However, in the case of climate change, public polarization about the issue has increased in recent years, not diminished. In this study, we draw from theories of motivated reasoning, social identity, and persuasion to examine how science-based messages may increase public polarization on controversial science issues such as climate change. Exposing 240 adults to simulated news stories about possible climate change health impacts on different groups, we found the influence of identification with potential victims was contingent on participants’ political partisanship. This partisanship increased the degree of political polarization on support for climate mitigation policies and resulted in a boomerang effect among Republican participants. Implications for understanding the role of motivated reasoning within the context of science communication are discussed
and

http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/i-dont-want-to-be-right

excerpt

In those scenarios, attempts at correction can indeed be tricky. In a study from 2013, Kelly Garrett and Brian Weeks looked to see if political misinformation—specifically, details about who is and is not allowed to access your electronic health records—that was corrected immediately would be any less resilient than information that was allowed to go uncontested for a while. At first, it appeared as though the correction did cause some people to change their false beliefs. But, when the researchers took a closer look, they found that the only people who had changed their views were those who were ideologically predisposed to disbelieve the fact in question. If someone held a contrary attitude, the correction not only didn’t work—it made the subject more distrustful of the source. A climate-change study from 2012 found a similar effect. Strong partisanship affected how a story about climate change was processed, even if the story was apolitical in nature, such as an article about possible health ramifications from a disease like the West Nile Virus, a potential side effect of change. If information doesn’t square with someone’s prior beliefs, he discards the beliefs if they’re weak and discards the information if the beliefs are strong.
tl;dr

Facts that contradict your beliefs is discarded by ardent believers

Thoughts on the logarithmic effect of CO2?

Here’s why it’s possible that doubling CO2 won’t make much difference.

The carbon that’s already up in the atmosphere absorbs most of the light it can. CO2 only “soaks up” its favorite wavelengths of light, and it’s close to saturation point. It manages to grab a bit more light from wavelengths that are close to its favorite bands, but it can’t do much more, because there are not many left-over photons at the right wavelengths.

Haven't we already used up a large percentage of the Earth's easily accessible fossil fuel reserves?

It seems to me that price of fossil fuels will only go up due to supply/demand while technology will increase the efficiency of renewable energy and bring the price down.

Haven't we already used up a large percentage of the Earth's easily accessible fossil fuel reserves?

It seems to me that price of fossil fuels will only go up due to supply/demand while technology will increase the efficiency of renewable energy and bring the price down.
This is inevitably correct. But the transition could take 30-40 years (less if we're lucky) and there may be a lot of suffering in between.

This is inevitably correct. But the transition could take 30-40 years (less if we're lucky) and there may be a lot of suffering in between.
In 40 years? What suffering in 40 years?

Not in 40 years. The suffering will take place over the next few decades as we attempt to transition from fossil fuels to renewable fuels. Maybe.

Not in 40 years. The suffering will take place over the next few decades as we attempt to transition from fossil fuels to renewable fuels. Maybe.
Maybe not.

So not 40 years, but the next few decades? And by few, are you saying about 4 decades?

So not 40 years, but the next few decades? And by few, are you saying about 4 decades?
You asked "in" 40 years. He's saying "over the span of" 40 years.

My bad. So 80 years. We all think there could be a lot of suffering in 80 years?

My bad. So 80 years. We all think there could be a lot of suffering in 80 years?
Intentionally obtuse or just not getting it?

I just think it's ridiculous that we can put an amount of time (40 years) on something that has no actual time frame. When will we run low on fossil fuels? No one knows for sure. But we know that it will take 30 to 40 years from when we do until we can come up with something new?

I just think it's ridiculous that we can put an amount of time (40 years) on something that has no actual time frame. When will we run low on fossil fuels? No one knows for sure. But we know that it will take 30 to 40 years from when we do until we can come up with something new?
Don't ask me, I was just answering your first stupid question. Not gonna bother with this one. :shrug:

Don't ask me, I was just answering your first stupid question. Not gonna bother with this one. :shrug:
OK

See what I posted about the logarithmic effect of CO2.

Even a pro-global warming site says this about it:

It is true, that for each doubling of CO2 concentration, temperature increases by a constant value.
Our current CO2 levels are around 400ppm, so that would need to increase to 800ppm.

Yet this is what they say:

Hence, we can expect a 3°C average temperature increase when the carbon dioxide concentration changes from the pre-industrial level of 280 ppm to 560 ppm.
If we've already gone from 280 ppm to 400 ppm and experienced a temperature increase of 0.85 C from 1880 to 2012 then how can going from 400 ppm to 560 ppm increase another 2.15 C?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are saying there is a chance!!!!
Jon_mx quoting "Dumb and Dumber"! #SigMaterial
My farts ooze more intelligence than anything you have ever contributed to this forum.
I beg to differ
I thought this was going to be a link to jon declaring that "Wind is a finite resource."
One day you might actually understand what infinite means. Until then, stay stupid my friend :lol:

The warmest year EVER!!!!!

And by ever, I mean the past 120 some years.
And by 0.01 degrees +/-0.02 degrees! The models say we are suppose to be warming by about 0.04 degrees EVERY year, so we are more than 70 times behind the sceduled the model predict since 1998. Blind monkey's throwing darts would be more accurate.

The warmest year EVER!!!!!

And by ever, I mean the past 120 some years.
And by 0.01 degrees +/-0.02 degrees! The models say we are suppose to be warming by about 0.04 degrees EVERY year, so we are more than 70 times behind the sceduled the model predict since 1998. Blind monkey's throwing darts would be more accurate.
Yet both are still more accurate than those who deny global warning. Imagine that.

IMO ocean acidification due to CO2 is a much larger problem than global warming:

Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the pH of surface ocean waters has fallen by 0.1 pH units. Since the pH scale, like the Richter scale, is logarithmic, this change represents approximately a 30 percent increase in acidity. Future predictions indicate that the oceans will continue to absorb carbon dioxide and become even more acidic. Estimates of future carbon dioxide levels, based on business as usual emission scenarios, indicate that by the end of this century the surface waters of the ocean could be nearly 150 percent more acidic, resulting in a pH that the oceans haven’t experienced for more than 20 million years.
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/co2/story/What+is+Ocean+Acidification%3F

So, yes, we do need to limit our CO2 production but not for the main reason the IPCC is claiming (GW).

So you disagree with my point, so to disprove it you post a link which confirms exactly what I said.
It was a little confusing...I'm in agreement with you in general and was saying that CO2 increase was not even exponential, but instead has shown mostly straight line growth.

No. Seriously. Who thought climate change was a hoax? the climate is always changing. I don't think you'll find anyone that disagrees with that.
:lol: Ok.
No, seriously. Who thinks climate change ISN'T happening? Because that is what the vote was. The climate has ALWAYS been changing.

I think you need to look a little closer at what they ACTUALLY voted on and what you THINK they voted.

No. Seriously. Who thought climate change was a hoax? the climate is always changing. I don't think you'll find anyone that disagrees with that.
:lol: Ok.
No, seriously. Who thinks climate change ISN'T happening? Because that is what the vote was. The climate has ALWAYS been changing.

I think you need to look a little closer at what they ACTUALLY voted on and what you THINK they voted.
Yup. Thought it was funny. I honestly only skimmed the article initially and see now that they are being clever.

One guy voted against it, guess he's the only true denier who won't depend on very specific wording to let us know where he stands. Expect more from these guys. 2016 is going to be good on this topic watching that group trip all over themselves on this.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/scientists-confirm-amassing-co2-heats-earth’s-surface

For the first time, scientists have witnessed a direct connection between rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide and an increase in the amount of thermal radiation striking Earth’s surface. The work affirms a cornerstone of the theory that humans have contributed to worldwide warming in recent decades, the researchers report online February 25 in Nature.

Carbon dioxide, like other greenhouse gases, can absorb and reradiate infrared light back down to Earth. This process traps thermal energy around the planet that would otherwise escape into space. To uncover how large an effect recent CO2 increases have had on Earth’s energy balance, climate scientist Daniel Feldman of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California and colleagues monitored the amount of thermal radiation hitting two sites in Alaska and Oklahoma on cloudless days. Because CO2 emits light within a signature range of wavelengths, the researchers could differentiate between energy balance changes caused by CO2 and those caused by other factors, such as water vapor.

Over 10 years of near-daily observations, the team found that a rise in CO2 concentrations of 22 parts per million boosted the amount of incoming thermal radiation from CO2 by 0.2 watts per square meter, an increase of about 10 percent. The researchers say their results agree with the theoretical predictions of CO2-driven warming used in simulations of future climate.

[SIZE=18.5pt]The Clown of Climate Change is Gone[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Christopher Booker writeshttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...uri-the-clown-of-climate-change-has-gone.html at the Telegraph:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The only sad thing about the resignation of Dr Rajendra Pachauri as chairman of the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is that it was brought about by allegations of sexual harassment by a young female employee of his Delhi research body, The Energy and Resources Institute (Teri), from which he has also now stepped down.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Laughably described as “the world’s leading climate scientist”, this absurd figure, with his PhD in the economics of railway engineering from an obscure US university, should never have been given the job in the first place. As a vegetarian, he jetted round the world exhorting everyone else to save the planet by giving up air travel and meat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks to the prestige of his position, his institute was showered with millions of dollars by international institutions, from global banks to Yale University (not to mention £10 million from British taxpayers).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]But above all, Pachauri, with the looks of a pantomime villain, should have resigned when, in 2010, the super-scary IPCC report over which he presided in 2007 was shown – not least by this column and by the assiduous researchers of my co‑author, Richard North – to have been full of wildly unscientific errors emanating from green activists.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]When we traced its claim that the Himalayan glaciers would have all but melted by 2035 to an obscure Indian scientist quoted by WWF (a claim so mad that even the IPCC had to withdraw it), we were even more amazed to find that Pachauri had hired the man responsible to be Teri’s chief glacier expert.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]He may now finally have gone, But the damage he did to the IPCC’s credibility as a serious scientific body is irreparable. What a pity the politicians of the West, led by President Obama and our own here in Britain, still don’t seem to have noticed.[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread