What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (4 Viewers)

Huge win for Whisky. 

Im sure the committee still keeps them at a 1 seed  :lmao:
It was ugly, but an important win for the young guys. There hasn't been many positive moments this year. Unless the crazy FBI investigation takes down every school but Wisconsin in the next few weeks (doubtful they are pristine) it looks like the 19 year NCAA tourney streak is coming to an end. They should be able to build on this one to try to finish the season on a positive note.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it only took the biggest comeback in B1G history, but what a second half and win by the Spartans today.

GOGREEN
MSU played great in the 2nd half, but NW looked like they forgot how to play. I'm a MD fan, so I know all about gacking up big leads, but I don't know that I've ever seen a team fall completely apart like the Wildcats did today. It's like the entire team got the yips at the same time. They couldn't even dribble the damned ball.

MSU played great in the 2nd half, but NW looked like they forgot how to play. I'm a MD fan, so I know all about gacking up big leads, but I don't know that I've ever seen a team fall completely apart like the Wildcats did today. It's like the entire team got the yips at the same time. They couldn't even dribble the damned ball.
Their own fair share of losses up to that point; a bit of imposter syndrome syncs in.  If the wall starts to crack, structural integrity comes undone pretty quickly.

ok, google is my friend.

The 2018 Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Tournament (branded as the 2018 Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Tournament presented by SoFi for sponsorship reasons) will be the postseason men's basketball tournament for the Big Ten Conference held from February 28 through March 4, 2018 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.[1] The winner will receive the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Due to the Big East's use of that venue for their conference tournament, the Big Ten Tournament will take place one week earlier than usual, ending the week before Selection Sunday.[2] This could result in teams having nearly two weeks off before the NCAA Tournament.[2] As a result, the conference season began on December 1, 2017 and will conclude on February 25.[3]

I definitely think the new schedule is a mini blessing to the teams that are featured in the B1G Championship Game.  Not so sure how I'd feel if I was a NCAA tourney team that gets ousted early in the B1G tourney.  That could be a long layoff.  

A nice road win for Michigan last night.  Was only able to watch highlights, but seems like they went really small with Livers and Matthews hardly playing.  Good to see Robinson find his shot again.  Beilein always seems to have his teams playing well come tournament time.

A nice road win for Michigan last night.  Was only able to watch highlights, but seems like they went really small with Livers and Matthews hardly playing.  Good to see Robinson find his shot again.  Beilein always seems to have his teams playing well come tournament time.
The starters were really flat other than Wagner.  Luckily Poole and Robinson gave the team a spark so Beilein rode those hot hands last night.

Saw this in an article - it stinks.

Three of the Spartans’ single-play opponents in the conference are, perhaps, the three best teams in the conference not named Michigan State — Purdue, Minnesota and Michigan. The three have a combined record of 39-8. The rest of the league (not including MSU) is a combined 102-54. Michigan State will face each only once. (The only other team to avoid a home-and-home with all four top teams is Penn State. Poor Maryland, meanwhile, gets MSU, U-M and Purdue all twice apiece.)

Of those three high-profile single-play games against Purdue, Minnesota and Michigan, only one is on the road. The Spartans will play at Minnesota, but host both top-contender Purdue and rival Michigan. (Michigan State is 158-31 in Big Ten games at Breslin Center under Izzo.)

--

That stinks. Not because I think MSU would lose those games, but just because the best games in the BIG this year could be MSU at Purdue or MSU at M. Those would be really fun games. 

I suspect MSU will drop a game somewhere on an off night, but I'd be really surprised if they lost ... lets say more than 2.
Nice work @whoknew. 

Tournament time. Obviously MSU is the favorite but I wouldn't be totally shocked if any of the top 3 or Michigan won the tournament. 

--

Other good questions - will either NE or PSU get in to the NCAAs? NE is a lot closer and it'd be really surprising if a 13-5 BIG team missed the tournament. But most things I've read have them on the bubble.

I reckon PSU needs to go on a bit of a run to make it.

--

Other issues only relevant to M fans - Most projections have M as a 6 seed in the tournament. I'd really like to stay there (or move up, obviously). Would prefer to avoid a 1/2 seed opening weekend. Not sure if they need to beat NE to keep the 6 seed or not. 

Feels like a bad spot for the Wolverines here....warmup game followed by Nebraska who should be approaching the tourney as do-or-die... and if they win they get Sparty

I'd like to recognize 2017/18 Maryland Men's Basketball and its 19 wins as the emptiest 19 wins in NCAA history. I may be wrong, but I think the only team they beat all season that will make the NCAAs is Butler. Maryland lost two starters for the season early on (whether Bender should have ever been a starter is another post), but they are an empty team with an empty resume.

I know @Rich Conway has ridden Coach Turgeon as an idiot for a while now, but I held back for a while. I'm on Team Conway now. Maryland lost EVERY meaningful game they played outside of Butler. 

I don't feel like looking this up, but I doubt Maryland won a single game they weren't favored in.

Didn't even bother to record the game yesterday.  I'll still be excited and hopeful when next year rolls around, but I don't think this team will ever be what it should be while Turgeon is the coach.  His offense is unimaginative.  His teams have the same glaring flaws year after year (turnovers, defensive rebounding).  His teams tend to get worse throughout the year, rather than better.  Very few players make significant progress over the course of their careers at Maryland.  His teams don't win meaningful games.  When was the last time the Terps won a game in which they were underdogs?

Sure, there are supposed to be good recruits coming in next year, but we hear that every year.  There are rumors that both Justin Jackson and Bruno Fernando are gone to the NBA/Europe.  If that happens, I'm not sure next year will be an improvement over this year.

Corey Sanders was ridiculous last night. Took me a while but finally figured out who his dunking style reminds me of, speaking of Maryland...Steve Francis.

I'll be at MSG for the night session. 

Jeezus Wisconsin has to be the dirtiest team in the league. 

Happ has his camper parked in the 3 second zone. ####### ridiculous 

Davison literally dribbles the ball back in bounds with 2 feet out of bounds and no call.

:lmao:

Davison literally dribbles the ball back in bounds with 2 feet out of bounds and no call.

This is "dirty"?  Its not like they're poking kids in the eyes, just some lucky breaks.

Anyway, that was a painful end to a terrible season.  20 year run of making the tournament comes to an end.  There were some injury issues and everyone knew it would be a down year, but this was much worse than expected imo.  Gard will be back for sure, but the honeymoon is over for him.

Are you joking?  Michigan State is the king of the forearm to the back.  Congrats on the victory but struggling 2x against a bad WI team isn't the recipe for NCAA tournament success.  MSU needs to play a lot better in the next couple of weeks.

Are you joking?  Michigan State is the king of the forearm to the back.  Congrats on the victory but struggling 2x against a bad WI team isn't the recipe for NCAA tournament success.  MSU needs to play a lot better in the next couple of weeks.
Survive and Advance

That game was horribly officiated on both ends of the floor.

No doubt they will be much better against Nebraska/umaa 

Survive and Advance

That game was horribly officiated on both ends of the floor.

No doubt they will be much better against Nebraska/umaa 
I hope you're right.  This team should be blowing the Wisconsons out of the gym, yet they can't put anyone away.  I'm concerned.

I hope you're right.  This team should be blowing the Wisconsons out of the gym, yet they can't put anyone away.  I'm concerned.
In-conference rivalry games aren't the best judge of how a team will do against teams from other conferences.

Maryland had a stretch back in their ACC days when they were really good and Clemson was not, yet Clemson gave them fits (& knocked them out of the ACCT in DC after years of Gary Williams #####ing about the tourney being dominated by NC locations) - first game of the first real day of play.

MSU is really, really good and a legit contender to win the national championship. Don't get too swayed by what happens in the conference tournament.

In-conference rivalry games aren't the best judge of how a team will do against teams from other conferences.

Maryland had a stretch back in their ACC days when they were really good and Clemson was not, yet Clemson gave them fits (& knocked them out of the ACCT in DC after years of Gary Williams #####ing about the tourney being dominated by NC locations) - first game of the first real day of play.

MSU is really, really good and a legit contender to win the national championship. Don't get too swayed by what happens in the conference tournament.
I agree to some extent but it's not just the tournament but the last month or it seems with a minor exception or two they play to the level of their competition.  This is a talented team no doubt and Izzo is NCAA proven but they need to step up and start throttling teams they are clearly better than.

I agree to some extent but it's not just the tournament but the last month or it seems with a minor exception or two they play to the level of their competition.  This is a talented team no doubt and Izzo is NCAA proven but they need to step up and start throttling teams they are clearly better than.
Like most fans, you're micro-thinking. Widen your view nationally. Every fan base has people saying the same things you are, but almost all of them have more legit reasons than you do to be saying them.

They are 29-3 and #2 in the nation, playing in a major conference. They've won 13 in a row. Name other teams with that resume.

They can be beat, for sure, and very well might leave the NCAAT earlier than their seed. But that stuff happens every single year. 

But this is Wisconsin, it's like going into Czechoslovakia.  The record is somewhat deceiving.  They had a tough non conference schedule, they lost 2 potential playmaking guards to injury, they have 2 high caliber players in Davison and Happ, they are just now learning to play Wisconsin basketball.  They play good team defense and take care of the ball.  Not many teams play that way.

White guy Dakich (OSU)

”That’s why he’s going to be a great coach someday!”

”Great effort!”

”He’s leaving it all out there.”

#thisis2018

Like most fans, you're micro-thinking. Widen your view nationally. Every fan base has people saying the same things you are, but almost all of them have more legit reasons than you do to be saying them.

They are 29-3 and #2 in the nation, playing in a major conference. They've won 13 in a row. Name other teams with that resume.

They can be beat, for sure, and very well might leave the NCAAT earlier than their seed. But that stuff happens every single year. 
You might be right but the Big 10 is down this year.  MSU is good no doubt but I think they are slightly overrated.  I don’t think they are the 2nd best team right now.  Top 10 probably based on talent but I don’t think they are a top 5 team the way they are playing now.

But this is Wisconsin, it's like going into Czechoslovakia.  The record is somewhat deceiving.  They had a tough non conference schedule, they lost 2 potential playmaking guards to injury, they have 2 high caliber players in Davison and Happ, they are just now learning to play Wisconsin basketball.  They play good team defense and take care of the ball.  Not many teams play that way.
There's some truth to this. It was a rebuilding year so it was going to be below typical Bucky standards. Perhaps not this bad but I digress. Bo almost never played freshmen (guys like Dekker notwithstanding) because they made mistakes. It takes time to buy into the system yet Davison, Reuvers, King and Ford (RS) all saw significant if not starting minutes. Pritzl, Van Vliet and Trice are all Sophomores. They've lost a ton of talent the past 2 years and had an awful 2014-15 class. Iverson is the only one making any strides, and even those are limited to a few nice dunks. Thomas and Illikanen are virtual liabilities. This was a major learning year for them and the last 3 or so weeks showed some of the potential once they got out of their own heads and just played.

Don't get me wrong, losing out on Hauser and Herro hurt but the latter was never coming to Wisky if Kentucky was in play. They'll need to keep improving on the recruiting side.

That said, with King and Trice likely getting medical RS, Davison with 2 functional arms and UWGB transfer G Trevor Anderson coming next year there's some optimism for the future. Though they'll need another 5 after Happ leaves. He'll test the NBA this year but I think he comes back. If they can land Jalen Johnson in 2020, look out.

If Rutgers shoots 59% in the second half, like the first.....well congrats. 

Purdue not matching their intensity.    

Users who are viewing this thread