What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brock Osweiler (1 Viewer)

Well, he is guaranteed to have made 37m by the end of next season. And unless there is some sort of epiphany that'll pretty much be it (a back up contract or two maybe)

Not too bad for a 4th round pick. I hope he has good financial advice and is able to live like when he was a 4th round pick again, because then he is set for life

Well, he is guaranteed to have made 37m by the end of next season. And unless there is some sort of epiphany that'll pretty much be it (a back up contract or two maybe)

Not too bad for a 4th round pick. I hope he has good financial advice and is able to live like when he was a 4th round pick again, because then he is set for life
2nd round pick 

He is not good, but I think O'Brien is a fraud and is living on an undeserved reputation this point. 
He's made the playoffs the past two years with QB's that make Ryan Fitzpatrick look like Peyton Manning. He made Penn State look acceptable with 1/3rd of his scholarships stripped away, made Matt McGloin into an acceptable NFL backup and got Hackenberg to play well enough under him his freshman year he was drafted in the 2nd round even though he's complete trash. I don't think he's the next Belichick by he's a pretty decent coach.

He's made the playoffs the past two years with QB's that make Ryan Fitzpatrick look like Peyton Manning. He made Penn State look acceptable with 1/3rd of his scholarships stripped away, made Matt McGloin into an acceptable NFL backup and got Hackenberg to play well enough under him his freshman year he was drafted in the 2nd round even though he's complete trash. I don't think he's the next Belichick by he's a pretty decent coach.
His OC definitely blows. Lamar Miller 20 fewer targets for a guy that was catching more passes every year since he came into the league. They have no idea what a screen pass is and while osWILDer is horrible, the fact that they threw to Miller less, and Miller is a close target, tells me the guy is a moron. Even when Miller would go out for a pass and was wide open, osWILDer was too busy locked onto the primary and throwing into tight coverage.

Both OsWILDer and the OC blow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
His OC definitely blows. Lamar Miller 20 fewer targets for a guy that was catching more passes every year since he came into the league. They have no idea what a screen pass is and while osWILDer is horrible, the fact that they threw to Miller less, and Miller is a close target, tells me the guy is a moron. Even when Miller would go out for a pass and was wide open, osWILDer was too busy locked onto the primary and throwing into tight coverage.

Both OsWILDer and the OC blow. 

Good news for you: Texans just fired said blowing OC.

Texans fire offensive coordinator G. Godsey

Texans fired OC George Godsey.

It was officially announced as a "mutual parting of ways." Godsey spent the last two seasons as Houston's offensive coordinator, but Bill O'Brien retook playcalling duties in late September. Whether Godsey was a problem or not, the Texans felt the need to "part ways" with someone for their impotent offense, and it certainly wasn't going to be the guy (GM Rick Smith) who signed Brock Osweiler. The Texans are back to the drawing board at quarterback for 2017.

Jan 16 - 5:03 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/353575/texans-fire-offensive-coordinator-g-godsey?ls=roto:FA:topheadlines

Incredible trade for the Browns.  Have the cap room to absorb his salary and upgraded a pick to a 2nd rounder.  Have we ever seen a trade like this before where a team gets a player and a better pick?

He's like the Charlie Weis of quarterbacks: teams pay him more to go away than to stick around and do more damage.

Not so sure I'd call it incredible. Just another name on the endless list of turd QBs, a bad contract and a sinkhole of an asset. 
They didn't do it for Osweiler. The Browns weren't going to spend 100 million of cap space they had so why not eat his salary for 1 year (no guaranteed money for Brook after 2017 season) and gain a 2nd rounder.  This was a great team for both teams.

Amazing nobody was fired before this move was made. It will be interesting to watch us follow up that terrible signing with another terrible move.... the quarterback search throughout the history of this franchise has been less than inspiring. Does anyone have any faith the Texans can actually figure this out?

Amazing nobody was fired before this move was made. It will be interesting to watch us follow up that terrible signing with another terrible move.... the quarterback search throughout the history of this franchise has been less than inspiring. Does anyone have any faith the Texans can actually figure this out?
Matt Schaub was OK and I still think that Ryan Mallett is better than his detractors indicate, but yeah, based on their track record it is hard to optimistic that they will eventually get it right after so many misfires.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7450/brock-osweiler

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, the Texans decided to move on from Brock Osweiler following a halftime altercation with coach Bill O'Brien in Week 17.

Osweiler's tiff with O'Brien had been mentioned in passing, but apparently it was the deciding factor in Houston's decision to find a new quarterback. Tom Savage started against the Titans in Week 17 but was ruled out in the second quarter after suffering a concussion. Osweiler lashed out at O'Brien after he was told that he'd be finishing the game, ripping O'Brien for using him only because he had to. As the conflict escalated, Osweiler accused O'Brien of holding him hostage after O'Brien blocked him from walking away. Eventually the two had to be separated. It's common for stories to leak out like this after a messy divorce, but clearly Osweiler was never right for Houston. Mar 12 - 12:53 PM

Source: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

I dunno he's getting $17M and can now go negotiate a contract.
If his contract contained offset language, then any 2017 salary from the new contract would just replace an equal amount from the $16m the Browns have to pay him. He wouldn't be able to double dip. I haven't seen anything definitive on if it does contain offset or not. But given the player-friendly size of the guaranteed money if I had to bet I'd probably bet the team got it in there.

So if so, the only real benefit he'd likely have is getting to pick where to go be a backup.

If his contract contained offset language, then any 2017 salary from the new contract would just replace an equal amount from the $16m the Browns have to pay him. He wouldn't be able to double dip. I haven't seen anything definitive on if it does contain offset or not. But given the player-friendly size of the guaranteed money if I had to bet I'd probably bet the team got it in there.

So if so, the only real benefit he'd likely have is getting to pick where to go be a backup.
Yeah I was a little surprised, but did find out after I posted that he does indeed have offset - I didn't expect that on that kind of contract.  So the poor guy is just gonna have to settle for the $16M total.

ESPN's Rich Cimini called Brock Osweiler a "name I'd watch" in the Jets' quarterback search.
The Browns are holding out hope they can trade Osweiler, but that's not going to happen. When Osweiler is inevitably released, the Jets could theoretically sign him for the $775,000 minimum with Cleveland covering the rest of his $16 million salary. New York's quarterback alternatives include Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, Matt McGloin and potentially Trevor Siemian should the Broncos make him available. Cincinnati's A.J. McCarron has also been linked to the Jets.

Related: Jets

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 12 - 8:51 AM

You know, Brock was bad last year.

But I bet he has more of a chance of still turning into at least a moderate NFL QB than the majority would give him credit for. Not that I'd bet he will... he has accuracy issues that I'm not sure he'll be able to solve. Just the league is very quick to give up on people. And I'm not sure last year was the best environment for him. It wouldn't floor me if he could still salvage an Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick type career.

You know, Brock was bad last year.

But I bet he has more of a chance of still turning into at least a moderate NFL QB than the majority would give him credit for. Not that I'd bet he will... he has accuracy issues that I'm not sure he'll be able to solve. Just the league is very quick to give up on people. And I'm not sure last year was the best environment for him. It wouldn't floor me if he could still salvage an Alex Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick type career.
It wasn't that long ago everybody wanted to write off Michael Crabtree. If you would have told people he was going to be more productive than Amari Cooper over the past two seasons most people would have laughed at you two years ago. It could never happen because Crabtree just can't get separation, or so all the "experts" said. I often wonder if some of the same folks that consider Osweiler done were the same ones that considered Crabtree done. 

This rotoworld spin that CLE just HAD TO cut Osweiler always seemed stupid to me.

He really can't be a backup QB in CLE? Really? Here is a list of their last 27 STARTING quarterbacks and Osweiler isn't good enough to even be a backup? Idiotic.

2016Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3) / Cody Kessler (8)

2015Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)

2014Brian Hoyer (13) / Johnny Manziel (2) / Connor Shaw (1)

2013Jason Campbell (8) / Brandon Weeden (5) / Brian Hoyer (3)

2012Brandon Weeden (15) / Thad Lewis (1)

2011Colt McCoy (13) / Seneca Wallace (3)

2010Colt McCoy (8) / Jake Delhomme (4) / Seneca Wallace (4)

2009Brady Quinn (9) / Derek Anderson (7)

2008Derek Anderson (9) / Brady Quinn (3) / Ken Dorsey (3) / Bruce Gradkowski (1)

2007Derek Anderson (15) / Charlie Frye (1)

2006Charlie Frye (13) / Derek Anderson (3)

2005Trent Dilfer (11) / Charlie Frye (5)

2004Jeff Garcia (10) / Kelly Holcomb (2) / Luke McCown (4)

2003Kelly Holcomb (8) / Tim Couch (8)

2002Tim Couch (14) / Kelly Holcomb (2)

2001Tim Couch (16)

2000Doug Pederson (8) / Tim Couch (7) / Spergon Wynn (1)

1999Tim Couch (14) / Ty Detmer (2)

Time to stash Brock:

DEN - Could QB Manning Exit Early?

Summary: Peyton Manning will start today. The league will stop the game after he gets his passing record. He is dealing with a couple of injuries though. It's pure speculation but ESPN's Chris Mortensen referenced Manning's injuries this morning and said, "If he struggles, don’t be surprised if Brock Osweiler starts warming up." This would be especially true if Denver gets out to an early lead.

Dynasty owners are salivating today.

Sometimes we need to hold ourselves accountable. What an embarrassment. Fantasy football is a humbling experience. 

stuckinthemuck said:
Sometimes we need to hold ourselves accountable. What an embarrassment. Fantasy football is a humbling experience. 
Sometimes there is no way to know until we know. Good organization, years of experience serving backup, an all time great to learn from.....wth could have gone wrong!?

stuckinthemuck said:
So somebody failed in predicting the future. Maybe holding ourselves accountable is not the right term. more like, let's realize that the odds of predicting the future are not that great to begin with. 

I agree, why not keep him for a year and kick the tires. Maybe he can turn it around with a different scheme, different coaching.

Now if the Browns do end up drafting a QB with one of their 2 firsts, I could see how having him on the roster might be a detriment, although I could see sticking Brock out there to take the pounding while you get your new rookie QB some seasoning.

Brock Osweiler says he expects to be the Browns' starter.

"My expectation is always to start," Osweiler said. "But once again that's not my decision. I want to play and I want to help this team win, but I know there's a lot of work that needs to go into that." Osweiler has been working with the second-team offense at OTAs, but rotated in with the starters. The Browns quarterback competition should carry deep into training camp.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal 
May 24 - 6:11 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Brock Osweiler has "impressed" at Browns OTAs.

One player told Schefter that he "wouldn't be surprised if Brock is QB1 heading into camp in July." Cody Kessler opened OTAs as the starter, but Osweiler, by all accounts, has been the most impressive quarterback in Browns practices. Some of the local media isn't buying into the hype, however, as ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi believes rookie DeShone Kizer is "gaining on" Osweiler and Kessler. This competition will carry over into preseason action.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread