What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (3 Viewers)

The Gordon case remains tricky as his failed test took place before new league year, which is when grandfathering in new rules would begin
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/510145906659061760

Again, the language in the agreement is key- WIll the new marijuana policy be applied to all players suspended in 2014 (league year), or will it only apply to players who tested positive during the current year? If it's the former, then Gordon will be reinstated immediately. If it's the latter, then we might be screwed.

You don't have to be arrested in order to have done something illegal. He tested positive for marijuana, which is relevant evidence of possession. Federal law prohibits possession.
no prosecutor anywhere would try for a possession charge based on the test results here.
That doesn't mean he didn't break the law. And it sure as #### doesn't mean "its not breaking any federal laws if you use it in a state where its legal." which is what I was responding to when I posted the law.
You can't prove possession on the amounts in his test - honestly it leans the other way - not enough in the system to ever have been enough for possession.
That's not how evidence works.

No updates from Mortenson or anybody else today?
Since there is a game scheduled...any talks or votes or updates are essentially tabled until tomorrow
I don't believe "talks" are tabled, simply the ability to vote is tabled as all 32 reps aren't readily available today due to a game. 30 are. We should still hear something today regarding the possibility of a vote tomorrow.
Essentially there will no announcement one way or the other until tomorrow.
You very well may be right, but I haven't read anything that says the NFLPA and NFL have "stopped talking today" for ANY reason (because there is a game). That's not what is being reported. All that is known is they won't vote today due to availability of ALL 32 player reps.. I expect news of some kind today regarding progress or lack thereof of the talks.
Actually, let me clarify.... All we know is that "odds are" 2 of the reps wont be able to vote today. Nothing has been tabled today.
They wont put it to a vote until are reps are available. So tomorrow is the earliest they will vote.

The Gordon case remains tricky as his failed test took place before new league year, which is when grandfathering in new rules would begin

Again, the language in the agreement is key- WIll the new marijuana policy be applied to all players suspended in 2014 (league year), or will it only apply to players who tested positive during the current year? If it's the former, then Gordon will be reinstated immediately. If it's the latter, then we might be screwed.
lol. Gordon will be included in the group of players eligible for reinstatement.

From La Canfora

The source said that the issue of reinstatement for players with certain failed drug tests since the start of the league year (March 11) remains "on the table" -- that would not include Josh Gordon, who tested positive prior to the league year, though it is not out of the realm of possibility he gets grandfathered in as well. That remains to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to be arrested in order to have done something illegal. He tested positive for marijuana, which is relevant evidence of possession. Federal law prohibits possession.
no prosecutor anywhere would try for a possession charge based on the test results here.
That doesn't mean he didn't break the law. And it sure as #### doesn't mean "its not breaking any federal laws if you use it in a state where its legal." which is what I was responding to when I posted the law.
You can't prove possession on the amounts in his test - honestly it leans the other way - not enough in the system to ever have been enough for possession.
I don't think Roger Goodell knows how evidence works actually, and he has a raft of in-house and outside counsel. If this guy was a judge he would be removed from the bench.

I don't know...why go through all the negotiations and back-and-forth only to have this still be an issue? It just seems arbitrary.

@MatthewBerryTMR: .@AdamSchefter on NFL Insiders just said if NFL-NFLPA agreement is approved, Josh Gordon would still be suspended for some games, maybe 6-10

lol. Gordon will be included in the group of players eligible for reinstatement.
wow, you sure make a lot of predictions here....... stick to the facts. (not saying your prediction is wrong, but you are already 0-1 implying that talks were tabled TODAY because there was a game).

I don't think Roger Goodell knows how evidence works actually, and he has a raft of in-house and outside counsel. If this guy was a judge he would be removed from the bench.
That's a whole other discussion.

That's a whole other discussion.
Ha, didn't want to discuss it, I just wanted to say it.

@MatthewBerryTMR: .@AdamSchefter on NFL Insiders just said if NFL-NFLPA agreement is approved, Josh Gordon would still be suspended for some games, maybe 6-10
They are just pulling those numbers out of their asses.

According to the Shark Pool reporters it MUST be all or nothing.

That michael saffini guy on twitter posted that gordon has told people he is playing sunday. On phone so cant copy paste atm

I don't know...why go through all the negotiations and back-and-forth only to have this still be an issue? It just seems arbitrary.
I agree that the time of positive test is a morally arbitrary factor and hence it's not fair that Gordon remains suspended while, say, Welker is immediately reinstated. However, amnestying players who failed tests in 2013 might open up a can of worms that the NFL doesn't want to deal with, e.g., some players have already served their suspensions in full and might want compensation, etc.

Vote for overhaul of the policy could come early next week according to recent reports. If Gordon is reinstated & then hit for the drunk driving & is allowed to play even 8 games after the DUI shakes out.... his value will go through the roof and that will be the time to trade him. I own him in practically ever dynasty/keeper league I'm in. I will either trade him at that point or hold him. If he never plays again I can live with that vs. trading him very low. I would kick myself if I moved him now & he comes back & plays this year.
Not doubting you, but can you share a link for those reports?We went from MNF saying a vote would be held Tuesday, to maybe Wednesday, to maybe today, to early next week. This tells me a couple of things:

1-there isn't any rush to get this done

2-they aren't as close as reports led us to believe they were

If this drags on much longer, I could see it being put on hold until after the season. There's already an issue with what to do with players suspended this year under the old policy, if a new policy is voted on, because there is not hard "start date" for the policy. Putting it off until the off-season addresses that issue. The longer it drags into this season, the easier it becomes to put it off.

ETA- saw the " maybe they hope to have a vote.". Not holding my breath, bit crossing my fingers.

"The source said that the issue of reinstatement for players with certain failed drug tests since the start of the league year (March 11) remains "on the table" -- that would NOT include Josh Gordon, who tested positive prior to the league year, though it is not out of the realm of possibility he gets grandfathered in as well. That remains to be seen."

Matthew Berry@MatthewBerryTMR 3m
.@AdamSchefter on NFL Insiders just said if NFL-NFLPA agreement is approved, Josh Gordon would still be suspended for some games, maybe 6-10
I feel like this is worst case at this point, and possibly the most likely.
You might not think it is probable, but clearly the worst case is he remains suspended for the whole year
The betting public thinks that's about a 25% probability, so they do agree with you.

Michael Salfino also says Schefter's 6-10 weeks makes no sense. Says the NFLPA has the power. If someone could copy paste his tweets from the last 15 mins that would b great

"The source said that the issue of reinstatement for players with certain failed drug tests since the start of the league year (March 11) remains "on the table" -- that would NOT include Josh Gordon, who tested positive prior to the league year, though it is not out of the realm of possibility he gets grandfathered in as well. That remains to be seen."

Matthew Berry@MatthewBerryTMR 3m
.@AdamSchefter on NFL Insiders just said if NFL-NFLPA agreement is approved, Josh Gordon would still be suspended for some games, maybe 6-10
I feel like this is worst case at this point, and possibly the most likely.
He is selling cars right now. Its going to take him a few weeks to get into elite Football Shape. If someone him owns him, they will be fine with him coming back somewhere between week 5 and 7. Although there is a real good shot he is simply reinstated immediately. I will be shocked if his suspension is 10+ games when the agreement is finalized.

Cleveland will burn.

Stealing another quote from Twitter:

I don't believe anything anyone says on Josh Gordon until it is official.

Looks like Will Caroll was on point last night...

@injuryexpert: Don't rush to pick up Josh Gordon his drug test took place in league year 2013. The new league year seems to be cutoff in talks.

Michael Salfino also says Schefter's 6-10 weeks makes no sense. Says the NFLPA has the power. If someone could copy paste his tweets from the last 15 mins that would b great
He failed with a 16 when the threshold was 15. The threshold is going to 50. Do you want to stand in front of a microphone and defend a 10 game suspension for the next ten weeks. No chance that its 10 plus if they start reinstating players.

What's interesting though is that with a finite time duration of the suspension that would end during the 2014 season...this could open up the litigation door WIDE open for Gordon to go after the NFL.

He failed with a 16 when the threshold was 15. The threshold is going to 50. Do you want to stand in front of a microphone and defend a 10 game suspension for the next ten weeks. No chance that its 10 plus if they start reinstating players.
But if the new policy doesn't apply to Gordon's case, then his lawyers (or NFLPA) are going to have to negotiate a carve-out. Hence the reduced suspension instead of immediate reinstatement.

But if the new policy doesn't apply to Gordon's case, then his lawyers or NFLPA are going to have to negotiate a carve-out. Hence the reduced suspension instead of immediate reinstatement..
Yes, this is a pretty simple concept that many don't want to acknowledge.

But if the new policy doesn't apply to Gordon's case, then his lawyers or NFLPA are going to have to negotiate a carve-out. Hence the reduced suspension instead of immediate reinstatement..
the point is the NFL wants this in the rear view mirror. They are going to get the HGH testing which is a huge win. Then they want this to stop being a media topic. Best way to accomplish that is put players back on the field. If Gordon is suspended it will be for a short time. And there is good chance he will be available immediately.

10 games? What's the freakin' point of playing 6 games?
1. 6 games played would give Gordon credit for the league year, meaning down the line, he'd hit free agency on schedule, rather than having to wait an additional year due to the suspension.

2. If the Browns are still in the hunt, having him for the stretch run would be a huge plus for them.

10 games? What's the freakin' point of playing 6 games?
1. 6 games played would give Gordon credit for the league year, meaning down the line, he'd hit free agency on schedule, rather than having to wait an additional year due to the suspension.

2. If the Browns are still in the hunt, having him for the stretch run would be a huge plus for them.
Not to mention the little fact that the guy would probably rather receive %38 percent of his salary compared to zero.

Let's not be greedy from a FF perspective. If you have Gordon and get him in your lineup at all this year, has to be considered a big win considering where we were just a week ago.

Of course I picked him up at almost no cost. Don't think I would have had the stones to spend the FAAB budget that many here did.

Users who are viewing this thread