Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Matt Waldman

Josh Gordon Everything Thread

6 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

Had everyone conned with the it's just weed story.  

Not everyone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Not everyone.

I mean... he peed and took tests. So... The tests wouldve shown it. The league wouldve known it.

I read today that Aldon Smith filed his reinstatement papers back in November, and still no action from Goddell.

And apparently some dude named Daryl Washington spent three seasons out of the league before Goddell reinstated him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davearm said:

I read today that Aldon Smith filed his reinstatement papers back in November, and still no action from Goddell.

And apparently  some dude named Daryl Washington spent three seasons out of the league before Goddell reinstated him.

Had forgotten about him, but that dude was a pretty good LB.

1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

Pretty sure the Commish has a time limit to make a decision... 30-45days or something.

What in his long history makes you believe Goodell will follow any rules at all?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Pretty sure the Commish has a time limit to make a decision... 30-45days or something.

I have spelled this out 6-8 times in this thread. There is a provision on the books that the commish has 60 days to make a determination once an application is filed and the league has all the information it need to complete the file and review it. They have never adhered to the 60 day "rule," and the subsequent action for non-compliance is for the NFLPA to file a formal complaint . . . which would go to the commish, who has even more time then to hear and rule on the complaint. So in reality, filing a complaint would likely EXTEND the process, not move it along. Sure, I suppose a player could threaten legal action to have a decision conferred, but I would guess that wouldn't help his cause.

What people frequently forget is that the PLAYER is the one that has to comply with a lot of things . . . it's not like the league is the one that has to jump though hoops. A simple out for the commish is to say he wanted to see a longer record of sobriety and adherence to the player's treatment plan, Stage 3 of the drug policy, and a general state of contrition. Given Gordon's track record, I would suggest Goodell would be LESS lenient than other players that may be first time suspended players. Again, the league has shown no desire to expedite a player's reinstatement from suspension. Not sure why that would suddenly change for Gordon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Not sure why that would suddenly change for Gordon.

There is definitely a reason Gordon spilled all those beans today. About his past. About college supporting his addictions. Coming clean, publicly. 90 day rehab.

• Like 1

After watching that video, just rooting for him as a human being at this point. An NFL return would be gravy.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

There is definitely a reason Gordon spilled all those beans today. About his past. About college supporting his addictions. Coming clean, publicly. 90 day rehab.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, and I'm pulling for him, but right now this is a human interest story only. Football-wise I'd like to see the Browns trade his rights anywhere. The guy needs a change of scenery, though maybe he has support in Cleveland at this point.

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this, and I'm pulling for him, but right now this is a human interest story only. Football-wise I'd like to see the Browns trade his rights anywhere. The guy needs a change of scenery, though maybe he has support in Cleveland at this point.

It's a chilling video.

You start thinking he's going to blame everyone but himself... And he just blows that out the window.

4 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

He's never seen his daughter?

What a dirtbag

I'd have to know the mother before I make that determination. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The guy needs a change of scenery, though maybe he has support in Cleveland at this point.

Why? It isn't like Clev screwed him over. Quite the opposite. They gave him multiple chances. If anything, he owes them. He hasn't earned a change.

It would be great if he cleaned himself up, played 7 good years and retired. Nice story if it happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

I mean... he peed and took tests. So... The tests wouldve shown it. The league wouldve known it.

They wouldn’t have been able to disclose if they did, as that would be considered a HIPPA violation.  They can say “he failed a test” as “cause” for action. 

That said, he didn’t take his test, remember? That was why he was suspended indefinitely - slipped the test. 

Maybe the 1st test was just booze & weed. Maybe it revealed more but camp Gordon played it off as booze & weed. :shrug:

1 hour ago, Slider said:

It would be great if he cleaned himself up, played 7 good years and retired. Nice story if it happens.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

Why? It isn't like Clev screwed him over. Quite the opposite. They gave him multiple chances. If anything, he owes them. He hasn't earned a change.

the change is for him ...not the browns...sometimes you just have to go somewhere else...not saying thats the answer but we KNOW he hasnt been able to get it right in cleveland ...he`s pretty much burned that bridge anyways

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

I realize that & like I said maybe he has a support structure he needs in CLE. I'm just saying sometimes a clean slate is best.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

I warned you all. 

You literally can't be this stupid. It's literally impossible. You see those quotes about how he's been lying to the world for the last 3 years? Yeah, you're the idiot who bought those lies. Don't be stupid enough to think we don't remember that. Even if he ends up turning this around (and I hope he does), you habe have still been dead wromg all these years. Accpet that. Move on with your life. The rest of us have. Even Josh Gordon. 

Did he never leave rehab except that one day when he was in Cleveland? I thought he left on the 21st. I read somewhere on Twitter that he wanted to complete rehab after 110 days and then reapply. If this is true, and he never left rehab, it would make sense especially with the video coming out. If September 21 marked 90 days, we are approaching 110 days. I also read that he would be suspended for the four games after being reinstated. At this point he's probably not worth rostering, however it's hard to not root for him (after seeing the video especially) and stash him for the hell of it. 

Lebron and Maverick Carter are backing up Gordon which I'm sure the NFL likes. I think I would err on the side of Gordon getting reinstated. I'm not sure if he will be able to help our teams with all factors considered. However, it will be nice to see him get another shot. 

• Like 1

It's also cool how he and another Josh (Hamilton) have similar stories. Hopefully Gordon ends up dominating like Hamilton did in baseball.

I’m rooting for Josh Gordon. I hope 2018 comes and he’s a 6-7th round pick, flashing crazy skills in the preseason after showing he could stay clean & sober all offseason & through camp. 

I hope he has 8-9 good years in the NFL, and stays sober throughout. 

The chances of that are not awesome based on historic precedent of addicts falling off the wagon, but there’s a chance. 

Good overview of addiction - and this doesnt cover coke or Xanax. 

The dirty little secret about addictions is that relapsing is the rule, not the exception. Up to 80 percent of alcoholics treated for a drinking problem will hit the bottle again at least once. Between 60 and 90 percent of smokers light up within a year of stopping, and more than 90 percent of the gamblers who quit on their own will eventually place another bet. Even minor bad habits are hard to brea

6 hours ago, Sebowski said:

You literally can't be this stupid. It's literally impossible. You see those quotes about how he's been lying to the world for the last 3 years? Yeah, you're the idiot who bought those lies. Don't be stupid enough to think we don't remember that. Even if he ends up turning this around (and I hope he does), you habe have still been dead wromg all these years. Accpet that. Move on with your life. The rest of us have. Even Josh Gordon. 

I thought you guys would forget.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mrfrood said:

It's also cool how he and another Josh (Hamilton) have similar stories. Hopefully Gordon ends up dominating like Hamilton did in baseball.

I thought the same thing when I saw the video.  

1 hour ago, Statorama said:

Has anyone checked in on Justin Blackmon lately?

I’m more interested in a Maurice Clarett update myself. When last we checked in on the young running back, things weren’t going so well...

:unsure:

August 2006 arrest

In the early morning hours of August 9, 2006, Clarett was arrested in Columbus after he made an illegal U-turn and led the police on a chase in a sports utility vehicle reportedly belonging to his uncle. After Clarett drove over a police spike strip, the chase ended in a nearby restaurant parking lot.

Police said they were forced to secure a cloth around Clarett's mouth after he allegedly spit at the officers and called them "n***ers" during the arrest. According to Columbus Police Sgt. Mike Woods, the officers discovered a katana, a zanbatō, a loaded AK-47 variant and two other loaded handguns in his vehicle along with an open bottle of Grey Goose vodka. The police requested that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives perform a trace on the firearms to determine if Clarett violated Federal gun laws.

The officers used mace to subdue Clarett after attempts to subdue him with a Taser proved ineffective because he was wearing Kevlarbody armor.

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

20 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’m more interested in a Maurice Clarett update myself. When last we checked in on the young running back, things weren’t going so well...

Looks like he made it. :thumbup:http://www.mauriceclarettonline.com/speaking-1#speaking-2

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707340-maurice-clarett-from-football-to-prison-to-justice-reform-advocate

Back on topic, hope Gordon makes it, too. And hope Baylor takes more heat.

Edited by Mystery Achiever
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Holy crap!!!

im genuinely impressed. Because if you read what i quoted above, holy #### that’s some crazy ####. 

Josh Gordon in NYC........Who else is in NYC? Hmmmmmm

Go ahead, make fun of me, but I just picked his ### up. If no word over next 48 hours.....drop him before Sunday.

• Like 2

My two bits for what they are worth: 5 times bitten, 10 times shy.

Call me risk averse but I’ll believe anything about Gordon only when I’ve seen him actually playing. And doing well. It’s been years since he’s been an actual factor on the gridiron.

If this guy really wanted to play, he’d have gotten his act straight a while ago. Not wasting any more thought on him.

Edited by Stompin' Tom Connors
Is it me or has the new iOS 11 update made autocorrecting so much worse? I mean, my fingers can’t be that fat, can they?

5 hours ago, thehoch said:

Josh Gordon in NYC........Who else is in NYC? Hmmmmmm

About 10,000 dealers?

• Like 2

Josh Gordon is the Phoenix that never rose from the ashes.  

At this point, you just hope he's not in debt and addicted to substances for life. He's talking about opiates and cocaine. That's more serious than we were led to believe about puffing, passing, and drinking. 

I know they all tend to go hand-in-hand, but that's a whole different level. Does he talk about freebasing at all? 

8 minutes ago, xrayveggin said:

Any evidence he's in NYC?

Could be meeting with Goodell at NFL headquarters.

Wow, that is some stinky bait.  

Gordon should be allowed to play in NFL or another league. He's what the XFL was made for. He's freakish, he's that good.  

Drugs should be legal and over the counter at pharmacies like they were at the turn of the century. 

The drug war has taken untold lives, caused untold harm. Gordon is simply a by-product of it.  

I don't have any sympathy for Gordon, but we've all been denied watching his talents by a draft system that rewards the worst and punishes the best -- and his own demons within our current legal system of coerced collective bargaining and anti-trust and labor law.  

Natural rights should free the draft, free Maurice Clarett, free every 18 year-old who wants to play, and should free those who want to play inebriated if they can do so. 

Gordon's problem? He's too good for mere mortals. 

I might add him just out of spite. What's a slot receiver to me?  

Added. Maybe he'll cost me another championship. I'm not cutting him. I play in a league full of us that are political, that love freedom. Gordon should be on the field.  

12 hours ago, Statorama said:

Has anyone checked in on Justin Blackmon lately?

Blackmon doesn't want to play, apparently. That's fair all around. 

Gordon does. 

Free Gordon.  

Edited by rockaction

It's really kind of sad to imagine where this guy will be in 10 years, when the NFL opportunity is long gone.

10 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Holy crap!!!

im genuinely impressed. Because if you read what i quoted above, holy #### that’s some crazy ####. 

Agree. I did the search because I was't even sure Clarett was still alive. Has to be one of the more dramatic turnaround from police chases to posing with Warren Buffett. Drug addiction (which I don't remember being his issue, but not positive)  adds another whole level of challenge to recovery, but hopefully Gordon can do it. Was interesting to hear how much credit he gives to Goodell as a mentor. (I choose to believe he is not saying that stuff to flatter the guy in charge of his future.)

So Chicago has a satellite office. Supposedly he's been in Chicago. We are approaching the stretch run till his reinstatement???

18 hours ago, davearm said:

It's really kind of sad to imagine where this guy will be in 10 years, when the NFL opportunity is long gone.

Life is not all about the mighty dollar. The kid appears intelligent, creative, and athletically gifted. If he controls his addiction I have confidence he will find some purpose to be successful in some way, shape, or form.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mrfrood said:

So Chicago has a satellite office. Supposedly he's been in Chicago. We are approaching the stretch run till his reinstatement???

Yes... stretch run of training camp 2018. Team to be determined.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Otis said:

Big news imminent. Stay tuned....

Is this based on some credible source, or just pure speculation to keep us all in suspense?

1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

Is this based on some credible source, or just pure speculation to keep us all in suspense?

Reminds me of an old joke,how do you keep an idiot in suspense?

• Like 3