What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (8 Viewers)

While we're here, can I get a list of professions where a person should be cut a break from endangering the public because the job is so important/cool? I mean, we don't hear about how a DUI will ruin the life of a TIG welder or a telemarketer, but we are seeing a lot of hand-wringing over how it may ruin the life of a football player.
A DUI is not going to ruin the life of a welder or telemarketer....
Then Gordon still has career options in case the NFL doesn't think he's worth the PR risk anymore.

First-you said you have had several relatives deal with DUI's. They don't "go away" in less than a month. So, even if they "go away," Goodell will have made his decision on the appeal prior to that.

Second-Please try to read carefully. Goodell's decision isn't based on whether Gordon gets convicted of this DUI or not. Gordon is appealing, essentially asking for a reduced "sentence," if you will. In order to get some leniency, Goodell will likely want to believe that this issue won't come up again. Getting stopped with weed in his car, then arrested for DUI, then bailed out by a felon who is a suspected drug dealer are not things that will give Goodell confidence that this won't continue to be an issue. Therefore, they won't lead Goodell to be lenient.

You said you're dealing with facts, then deal with all the facts, not just the one(s) that support your (wrong) viewpoint.
Burden of proof is on the league. Goodell can't suspend him for acts he was not found guilty of.
Um, Ben Roethlisberger was not found guilty or even charged with any criminal acts, but he was still suspended by Goodell.
Under the previous policy, my friend.

The magic of this latest episode is that he was bailed out....by a DRUG DEALER.

"Thomas, 39, has four aliases, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety. Thomas also has an extensive criminal background, with arrests in Wake, Durham, Orange, Alamance, and Guilford counties, according to public records. Many of his charges are drug and gun related. He has never served time in jail or prison, according to the Department of Public Safety."

"Thomas was most recently arrested in December and charged with three felonies: possession and intent to sell a controlled substance (12 grams of marijuana), maintaining a dwelling used for keeping or selling a controlled substance, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. A trial date has not yet been set."http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/05/3012727/felon-who-rented-car-in-hairston.html#storylink=cpy

I mean...seriously...is Josh Gordon trolling?
Looking at that link I don't think it says Gordon was bailed out by this guy, any confirmation elsewhere? Not doubting it, just curious, would like more info, etc.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/05/josh-gordon-keeps-some-interesting-company-on-the-road/
Thanks. I guess this is the actual source.

Does Gordon have any connection to North Carolina or Charlotte? What was he even doing there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see this being curtains on the career of Gordon. Nor do I see it being a huge insurmountable issue. He's making some mistakes living the life that many of us wish we'd had at that age. He could get suspended this season, and next season, and still come back. He'd be the age Demaryus Thomas is right now.

Now I think he needs to wake the hell up, but I don't see anything to indicate that he's this addict along the lines of Doc Ellis or Leonard Little. He's not even Justin Blackmon. I don't know that there's any indication that Gordon is an alcoholic or a drug addict. He's in the program. But I don't know, for some reason his outlook to me isn't nearly as bleak as Blackmon's.

But he's got a ton of talent. A ton. Ray Lewis and Brandon Marshall type talent.

I'd buy if you can get him cheap.
is there a case of a guy being suspended for a year who's come back to play at a high level?i don't recall one.
Ricky Williams like comeback is the best you can hope for now
that's a good one too. i came up with Vick, but that was different because he was locked up away from any trouble.
I've already posted twice that I feel he's toast, but the best example I can give is Josh Gordon. He already sat out a year and then the browns drafted him. He was clearly a great player. I'm not counting on him missing another year of football and bouncing back to form again.

Has anybody mentioned that Soulfly hasn't been online because he is currently online as Brewtown
Josh Gordon is done for 2014 minimum...I am not Soulfly...

I just don't think/like the BAC limit to be at .08

I also don't agree with stomping on a guy when he is going through an obvious tough period with issues.

I don't need to watch football played by the best people - I want the best players on the field...

It would have been a shame not to see LT play in the 80s

While we're here, can I get a list of professions where a person should be cut a break from endangering the public because the job is so important/cool? I mean, we don't hear about how a DUI will ruin the life of a TIG welder or a telemarketer, but we are seeing a lot of hand-wringing over how it may ruin the life of a football player.
The main difference is that when a TIG welder or telemarketer get a DUI it's not national news, it's not on nfl network, not on the espn ticker, etc. So for the most part, no one knows about it and it doesn't reflect poorly on the company as a whole.

Has anybody mentioned that Soulfly hasn't been online because he is currently online as Brewtown

I also don't agree with stomping on a guy when he is going through an obvious tough period with issues.

I don't need to watch football played by the best people - I want the best players on the field...

lol

Yes I said Gordon is not a murderer and the vitriol directed towards him was out of proportion toward his social transgressions of smoking marijuana and driving while intoxicated. He obviously has a lot of things to work out, including legal troubles now, but the rhetoric painting him as the paragon of bad behavior/choices is way over the top.
Couldnt' disagree more. I think that the vitriol is a bit excessive because there are people here who are acting like drunk driving is no biggie, but I think that he has a fairly solid track record of bad decisions. The fact that a multi-million dollar career hangs in the balance just goes to highlight how poor his judgment is. If some guy risks losing his car, that's bad. But if he risks losing millions of dollars and relegates himself to a life of selling insurance or some other non-glamorous job, then it just makes the consequences of those choices that much starker in contrast. His choices are no worse than the high school dropout who does the same thing, but the judgment is worse because he has more to lose.

I agree. It should be lower.

The main difference is that when a TIG welder or telemarketer get a DUI it's not national news, it's not on nfl network, not on the espn ticker, etc. So for the most part, no one knows about it and it doesn't reflect poorly on the company as a whole.
I've still seen people lose their jobs over a DUI. Yeah, sure, they could go to another company or get a different line of work and hope to mask that detail. But when a person lives paycheck to paycheck, that's a pretty devastating chain of events for them. To me, it seems like lamenting the consequences for someone who has physical talents he uses for our entertainment is pretty selfish on the part of anyone who does that.

I never once celebrated a Leonard Little sack. Not after he got away with enough DUIs to go on the road and kill someone.

I've still seen people lose their jobs over a DUI. Yeah, sure, they could go to another company or get a different line of work and hope to mask that detail. But when a person lives paycheck to paycheck, that's a pretty devastating chain of events for them. To me, it seems like lamenting the consequences for someone who has physical talents he uses for our entertainment is pretty selfish on the part of anyone who does that.

I never once celebrated a Leonard Little sack. Not after he got away with enough DUIs to go on the road and kill someone.
Just kind of echoing what Bronco said above but the Little situation was one of the major reasons for the the social behavior policy. This particular crime the NFL is likely to take very seriously.

I agree. It should be lower.
For someone who doesn't drink much, .08 is unsafe to drive at. For Gordon it's like his first cup of coffee in the morning.

I've still seen people lose their jobs over a DUI. Yeah, sure, they could go to another company or get a different line of work and hope to mask that detail. But when a person lives paycheck to paycheck, that's a pretty devastating chain of events for them. To me, it seems like lamenting the consequences for someone who has physical talents he uses for our entertainment is pretty selfish on the part of anyone who does that.I never once celebrated a Leonard Little sack. Not after he got away with enough DUIs to go on the road and kill someone.
People shouldn't have to mask that detail. Big deal - people make mistakes.

Leonard Little is a different story entirely...

He blew a .09...

I think there is a good chance this gets thrown out (unless there is more we don't know).

The closer that you are to the limit the better your chances of getting it thrown out. He is so close to the limit...

There are different degrees of DUI, and I think the NFL realizes this. For all we know Gordon may have somewhat done the right thing and said "No, I don't want another - I've got to drive home".
It's pathetic to read all of these excuses. The guy is in deep **** and his reaction to that is to go out and throw back enough alcohol to put him over the legal limit, then drive home. In his situation, anyone with a shred of common sense wouldn't be within 50 feet of anything but water. But instead, this guy broke the law (AGAIN) and now his dynasty owners are scrambling to make excuses for him. Absolutely pathetic.
Some are excusing, some are holding judgement until more is known (like myself).

Either way that's funny coming from a guy with that miserable human being Ultimate Warrior as his avi!

I've still seen people lose their jobs over a DUI. Yeah, sure, they could go to another company or get a different line of work and hope to mask that detail. But when a person lives paycheck to paycheck, that's a pretty devastating chain of events for them. To me, it seems like lamenting the consequences for someone who has physical talents he uses for our entertainment is pretty selfish on the part of anyone who does that.I never once celebrated a Leonard Little sack. Not after he got away with enough DUIs to go on the road and kill someone.
People shouldn't have to mask that detail. Big deal - people make mistakes.

Leonard Little is a different story entirely...
If by "entirely" you mean "two steps further down the road than Little," then yeah. Entirely.

And people make mistakes that prevent other people from making mistakes ever again. No biggie.

wait, what?

wait, what?
What he's saying is that him and his friends are too cheap for a cab and the law is really crimping their style.

Just curious about this - so it's not even the BAC level, it would be even if harder drugs were associated, right? Taylor did crack and maybe who knows what narcotics, and he was wrecked as a man even while he was entertaining us. Let's just say if we could do so that short of a Little situation where we know someone would actually be hurt, besides the player himself, could you see any limit being crossed as a reason to keep a player off the field?

This kid has no intention of changing his behavior and never did. Might not play another NFL game in his life.
Someone earlier mentioned Ricky Williams. Williams was suspended one year in April 2006 and wasn't reinstated for 18 months.

Since Williams never had a DUI, alcohol didn't become part of his testing like will happen to Gordon.

"Thomas, 39, has four aliases, according to the North Carolina Department of Public Safety. Thomas also has an extensive criminal background, with arrests in Wake, Durham, Orange, Alamance, and Guilford counties, according to public records. Many of his charges are drug and gun related. He has never served time in jail or prison, according to the Department of Public Safety."

"Thomas was most recently arrested in December and charged with three felonies: possession and intent to sell a controlled substance (12 grams of marijuana), maintaining a dwelling used for keeping or selling a controlled substance, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. A trial date has not yet been set."http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/05/3012727/felon-who-rented-car-in-hairston.html#storylink=cpy

Looking at that link I don't think it says Gordon was bailed out by this guy, any confirmation elsewhere? Not doubting it, just curious, would like more info, etc.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/05/josh-gordon-keeps-some-interesting-company-on-the-road/

Does Gordon have any connection to North Carolina or Charlotte? What was he even doing there?
Apparently he was drinking and driving

I really don't see this being curtains on the career of Gordon. Nor do I see it being a huge insurmountable issue. He's making some mistakes living the life that many of us wish we'd had at that age. He could get suspended this season, and next season, and still come back. He'd be the age Demaryus Thomas is right now.

Now I think he needs to wake the hell up, but I don't see anything to indicate that he's this addict along the lines of Doc Ellis or Leonard Little. He's not even Justin Blackmon. I don't know that there's any indication that Gordon is an alcoholic or a drug addict. He's in the program. But I don't know, for some reason his outlook to me isn't nearly as bleak as Blackmon's.

But he's got a ton of talent. A ton. Ray Lewis and Brandon Marshall type talent.

I'd buy if you can get him cheap.
is there a case of a guy being suspended for a year who's come back to play at a high level?i don't recall one.
Ricky Williams like comeback is the best you can hope for now
that's a good one too. i came up with Vick, but that was different because he was locked up away from any trouble.
I've already posted twice that I feel he's toast, but the best example I can give is Josh Gordon. He already sat out a year and then the browns drafted him. He was clearly a great player. I'm not counting on him missing another year of football and bouncing back to form again.
i agree. sold him and Blackmon recently. just trying to see if there were some examples that would support the view that Gordon is a dynasty buy.

just because i don't agree, doesn't mean that there may not be some validity to it.

The attitude of certain Americans to drink driving is shocking to me.
You can't compare American cities where you need to drive to get anywhere to Europe where you can walk down to your local pub. Not making excuses, but that's the reality.
Taxi down?

Even if this was in the sticks, then all the more reason for Gordon to stick to soda when out and about

He blew a .09...

I think there is a good chance this gets thrown out (unless there is more we don't know).

The closer that you are to the limit the better your chances of getting it thrown out. He is so close to the limit...

There are different degrees of DUI, and I think the NFL realizes this. For all we know Gordon may have somewhat done the right thing and said "No, I don't want another - I've got to drive home".
boy ....you`re really stuck on this .09 thing huh? This isnt a posted speed limit where the cop lets a few miles over go....its the limit the law sees fit as legally too drunk to drive...get over it
I will not get over it. I'm dealing with facts.He blew a .09.

He did not - fall asleep at the wheel.

Roll his car over.

Fact is that when you are close to the limit people get off all the time. It's not as cut and dry as the law states or as you are thinking.
Well, here's another fact that you need to deal with: Goodell doesn't need to see Gordon to get off or get convicted to factor this arrest into his appeal decison.You want to keep harping that it was "only" a .09, fine. But you also need to accept this fact: this arrest isn't good for his appeal.
If the arrest goes away it is a non issue.He blew a .09 and it may go away... If the charges go away then Goodell is going to take them into consideration??

If they go away - they go away...
First-you said you have had several relatives deal with DUI's. They don't "go away" in less than a month. So, even if they "go away," Goodell will have made his decision on the appeal prior to that.Second-Please try to read carefully. Goodell's decision isn't based on whether Gordon gets convicted of this DUI or not. Gordon is appealing, essentially asking for a reduced "sentence," if you will. In order to get some leniency, Goodell will likely want to believe that this issue won't come up again. Getting stopped with weed in his car, then arrested for DUI, then bailed out by a felon who is a suspected drug dealer are not things that will give Goodell confidence that this won't continue to be an issue. Therefore, they won't lead Goodell to be lenient.

You said you're dealing with facts, then deal with all the facts, not just the one(s) that support your (wrong) viewpoint.
Burden of proof is on the league. Goodell can't suspend him for acts he was not found guilty of.
You might want to ask Ben Roethlusberger about that.ETA - oops. Looks like I finished in 3rd place on that one.

Apparently he was drinking and driving
Ha yeah there's that. - But why did he go down there in the first place? Seems a little out of his way. And he just had Fats Thomas' number handy?

You can't compare American cities where you need to drive to get anywhere to Europe where you can walk down to your local pub. Not making excuses, but that's the reality.
Taxi down?

Even if this was in the sticks, then all the more reason for Gordon to stick to soda when out and about
Millions of people have a drink or two after work and are fine driving. A 200 lb. man would need to drink 5 beers in an hour to reach .08. If you have 2 beers in an hour you are not going to be unsafe to drive.

He blew a .09...

boy ....you`re really stuck on this .09 thing huh? This isnt a posted speed limit where the cop lets a few miles over go....its the limit the law sees fit as legally too drunk to drive...get over it
I will not get over it. I'm dealing with facts.He blew a .09.

He did not - fall asleep at the wheel.

Roll his car over.

Fact is that when you are close to the limit people get off all the time. It's not as cut and dry as the law states or as you are thinking.
Well, here's another fact that you need to deal with: Goodell doesn't need to see Gordon to get off or get convicted to factor this arrest into his appeal decison.You want to keep harping that it was "only" a .09, fine. But you also need to accept this fact: this arrest isn't good for his appeal.
If the arrest goes away it is a non issue.He blew a .09 and it may go away... If the charges go away then Goodell is going to take them into consideration??

If they go away - they go away...
First-you said you have had several relatives deal with DUI's. They don't "go away" in less than a month. So, even if they "go away," Goodell will have made his decision on the appeal prior to that.Second-Please try to read carefully. Goodell's decision isn't based on whether Gordon gets convicted of this DUI or not. Gordon is appealing, essentially asking for a reduced "sentence," if you will. In order to get some leniency, Goodell will likely want to believe that this issue won't come up again. Getting stopped with weed in his car, then arrested for DUI, then bailed out by a felon who is a suspected drug dealer are not things that will give Goodell confidence that this won't continue to be an issue. Therefore, they won't lead Goodell to be lenient.

You might want to ask Ben Roethlusberger about that.ETA - oops. Looks like I finished in 3rd place on that one.
You guys using Ben as an example need to slow your roll. New CBA since then. Goodell still has the power, but it has been significantly curtailed--including appeals and such.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/storystoryId=6832575&src=desktop

Given that a NFL owners and Roger Goodell are rewarded handsomely by the sales of alcoholic beverages, I wonder if Josh Gordon can use the "I learned it from you" defense.

Taxi down?

Millions of people have a drink or two after work and are fine driving. A 200 lb. man would need to drink 5 beers in an hour to reach .08. If you have 2 beers in an hour you are not going to be unsafe to drive.
Gordon said he had 3 vodkas, doesn't mean that's all he really had.

Given that a NFL owners and Roger Goodell are rewarded handsomely by the sales of alcoholic beverages, I wonder if Josh Gordon can use the "I learned it from you" defense.
Yeah, I'm sure that would work. Good thinking. NFL clubs making profits from alcohol sales caused Gordon to drink, drive, and speed. Thanks, Clarence Darrow.

Where I live the limit is 0.2. It's real simple; if you're driving you don't touch alcohol. So yeah I'm also shocked by how common it seems to be drinking and driving in the US, and the relaxed attitude that people seem to have to it. Over here it's just not something that people do at all really. But we also have much harsher penalties if you get caught.

Let's talk about "Tier-based" legal issues the same way we talk about tier-based drafting. In inverse order of significance:

Tier 1 - What you do on your own time

• This tier would include things like Justin Blackmon drinking alcohol, Josh Gordon smoking weed, Lawrence Taylor smoking crack, etc. So long as it does not involve driving, weapons, the drug trade, mexican cartels, or the related, I honestly don't care what the players do on their own time. Someone's drug of choice may be different than yours, but we almost all have one (alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, pron, what have you). If there's harm associated with the drug, that's the players problem, not the league's. Category: Libertarian.
  • No suspension necessary.
Tier 1(a) - PEDs

• Closely related to the above except that it hurts/could hurt the competitive balance of the game, and the image of the league. Players include: Stedman Bailey, Brian Cushing, the MLB. Grey areas include - Ray Lewis and his deer urine golden showers. Just the other day the story came out about A-Rod (baseball) being granted permission to take T due to his "low T." Grey areas here aren't going to away as medical science continues to progress. At some point we are going to have to get comfortable with distinguishing between legal PEDs and illegal ones. Category: Roid Rage.
  • Suspension: 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, full season.
Tier 2 - MADD

• Anything involved in tier 1 plus driving = significantly worse offense. The league has no business suspending Blackmon or Gordon for drinking or smoking while walking, but drinking or smoking while driving triggers a 100 point multiplier. It changes the issue from a Libertarian one to Social one and elevates the offense from 'do what you want on your own time' to something akin to "attempted, unintentional negligent homicide." Category: Attempted Manslaughter (there is no such thing - you can't attempt something unintentional - but that's what drinking and driving is every single time).
  • Suspension: half season first time, full season second time. Applies to players as well as owners. All game checks or revenue earned during this time is donated to a taxi fund.
Tier 3 - Violence against women

• A tier reserved for the lowest of the low, populated by the likes of Ray Rice and James Hardy. This is precisely the image the league wants to avoid:
Holder, 24, accused the 6-foot-4, 290-pound Hardy of throwing her to the floor and into a bathtub, strangling her, slamming her into a futon that was covered with guns, and threatening to shoot her if she told anyone about the fight
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/24/5000653/attorney-carolina-panthers-defensive.html#.U6mcrxawgxd#storylink=cpy
  • Knocking your girlfriend/fiance/wife unconscious is something you should go to jail for, not just miss 2-4 games. There is no number of Tier 1 offenses that can equal a tier 3 offense (3 joints does not equal an uppercut); the offense is orders of magnitude greater.
  • Fighting bros in bars because they disrespected your crew bumps this down to a Tier 2 offense.
  • Category: Jailtime.
  • Suspension - first offense, one season. Second offense, lifetime ban.
For a good read on the history (since 2007) of the NFL's issues with drunk driving: http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/9/5/history-of-nfl-sdrunkdrivingissueslingersasseasonbegins.html

No Soulfly yet?
Part of me has thought that if this went the way people thought, and Gordon went down, for a year, we might never see Soulfly3 again.
My guess is he got a 3 day vaca for being less than excellent. Couldn't if come at a worse time, he's probably beside himself trying to defend Gordon to all us haters right now, but his exile won't let him.
How many guys are just checking this thread to see if Soulfly re-emerges and what spin he gives this turn of events?
I admit it...I am :lol: :coffee:
I'm having a drinking game of whenever Brewtown supports .09. Then I'm going to go for a ride and see what happens.

Where I live the limit is 0.2. It's real simple; if you're driving you don't touch alcohol. So yeah I'm also shocked by how common it seems to be drinking and driving in the US, and the relaxed attitude that people seem to have to it. Over here it's just not something that people do at all really. But we also have much harsher penalties if you get caught.
How many bars, pubs, cafes or restaurants within walking distance from you?

Me too, it is not likely this was the 1st time Gordon has ever driven under the influence of alcohol and for people to take his side over this, acting like it is no biggie, is a little surprising. If you are 100% sure you are under the limit, then drive if you have to, but for any reason, you think you are close to the limit, call a cab, walk, do whatever you have to do to get home, but don't drive.

"An average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before first arrest. (Centers for Disease Control. “Vital Signs: Alcohol-Impaired Driving Among Adults-United States, 2010.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. October 4, 2011.)"

I like to go out and have a few beers and/or a glass or two of wine and not have to worry about getting harassed by police about it. .08 is too low in my opinion...

I'm also not a fan of Michael Sam.

I make fun of the Amish (no iphone-really?? - no microwave??)...

I have a strong opinion and I really don't care too much about what other "righteous fighters" try and force upon me.

.08 is too low! But at least MADD and the "righteous fighters" are happy...

I like to go out and have a few beers and/or a glass or two of wine and not have to worry about getting harassed by police about it. .08 is too low in my opinion...

I have a strong opinion and I really don't care too much about what other "righteous fighters" try and force upon me.

This seems incongruent with the rest of your beliefs.

it's not about football for this young man anymore, it doesn't matter if he never plays another down, what does matter is that he gets help, gets his life in order before it's to late. Football should be an after though for Gordon, getting his life back should be priority one. I wish him well on his quest.

it was only a matter of time before this thread derailed into a discussion on the merits of drunk driving laws and how amish people should adjust to current technology.

it was only a matter of time before this thread derailed into a discussion on the merits of drunk driving laws and how amish people should adjust to current technology.
Well look at it this way - the NFL will rule some time around or before the end of July... and then it will be a long, long time before anything else happens.

If you look at chart 6.1 on page 15 of this study you'll see that the relative risk of driving with a BAC lower than .02 (2 beers in 75 minutes) is only 8% higher than someone (over 21) who didn't drink at all. Risks nearly triple over .02 though.

Again, don't drink and drive but also don't beat yourself up for driving after 2 beers at Fridays.

.09 DUI is CRAP!

I could land a space shuttle and perform major surgery at .09
Awesome dude. Point is its the law. I agree with you but also understand that if I have a couple at the bar and drive, I am LEGALLY flirting with trouble. So the guys is too dumb to realize the life he could have versus the life one more tiny beer might cost him. How you or anyone else operates at 0.08 is irrelevant.
I say having one more beer should not have an impact on the type of life that you should be able to have/live when the limit is .08.

If the limit is .08 - then we all need to understand what we are dealing with. A different world when it comes to drunk driving....

Drunk driving will be more like a speeding ticket in this environment....
If my mother blew a .08, she would be wasted. Some people have a low tolerance for alcohol, and that includes some men.

You know, you could drink the couple of beers, and have some food with it, wait a couple of hours and not have to worry about it. I guess that is too difficult to some people.

Why does everyone immediately go to "you're trying to change my opinion!"? Honestly, I don't care if you think the limit is too low, dislike gay people, or disrespect different cultures. We live in a society based upon following a set of rules our elected officials have put into place. If you are disregarding those you shouldn't be shocked if other people who follow them don't like you for it. Or at least, don't try to change their opinion on it, just as you have requested for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread