What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When will wee see a WR have a 2000 yard season? (1 Viewer)

gonzobill5

Footballguy
With the upward trend in passing numbers, you would think this is the next milestone to fall. Here are some facts I found interesting while I was flipping through some stats.

In 1995, Rice set the single season yardage record with 1848, which still stands today. He caught 122 balls that season, a personal record for him. However, his 15.1 YPR that season was not unusual as he bested that mark in 8 other seasons.

In 1961, Charlie Hennigan had 1746 in 14 games. That works out to 1999 and some change per 16 game schedule. Can't we round him up?

Charlie Hennigan and Jimmy Smith are the only receivers in the top ten that didn't play in a dome.

In 1995, Herman Moore had 123 catches and 1686 yards. Like many other, his ypr was right at his career average and about 2.5 ypr lower than the year prior.

In 2002, Marvin Harrison had 1722 yards on 143 catches. Sounds great, but his ypr (12.0) was the third worst of his career. If he was at 14.0 with the same number of catches, he would have eclipsed 2000.

Last year there were three WRs with top 25 all time receiving yardage totals...Johnson, Welker, and Cruz. Seems shocking to have some many at once, but in 1995 there were four in the top 10. Rice, Bruce, Moore, and Irvin (who now has been bumped to #12).

Now let's take a closer look at the three who came close last year...

Victor Cruz put up 1536 in what essentially was 14 starts, which prorates to nearly 1750. Also, he only received 132 targets, compared to Nicks with 161. If you swap their targets and keep their catch %, that would have given Cruz an additional 18 catches, which at 19 ypr would add another 340ish yards to his total bringing him to 2090. I know that is some goofy math, but it stands to show how truly special his season was last year. With Manningham out, and Nicks banged up, could Cruz do the unthinkable in 2012?

To me, Welker putting up 1569 yards is nearly as surprising as what Cruz did. Coming off of 2010 with a ypr in the single digits, Welker caught 122 balls at a 13 ypr clip. The volume approach is consistent with most players in the top ten - Hennigan and Calvin are the only two that didn't top 100 catches.

If someone is going to break the record, the smart money is on Calvin. Last year, Calvin Johnson had 1681 yards or about 105 per game. He would need to increase his yards per game by 20 to get to 2,000. When you think of it like that, it seems unlikely. However, 20 ypg is approximately 1 extra catch per game - from that angle it seems very doable considering he "only" caught 6 passes per game last year.

I didn't look into how many catches/targets the second best receiver on these teams had, but that would be interesting to see.

So who's it going to be? We need someone who plays in a dome and doesn't need an elite ypr but makes up for it with a ton of passes. Jimmy Graham anyone???

And finish up with a bit of trivia...

Easy: Name the three players that currently rank in the top twenty all time for two different seasons

Medium: Name the two cardinals in the top twenty

Hard: Name the other two receivers (not including Rice, Bruce, Moore and Irvin) that had a top 25 finish in 1995. Note: they have since been bumped out

Sorry for any typos/mistakes/bad grammar it is now past my bedtime.

Victor Cruz put up 1536 in what essentially was 14 starts, which prorates to nearly 1750. Also, he only received 132 targets, compared to Nicks with 161. If you swap their targets and keep their catch %, that would have given Cruz an additional 18 catches, which at 19 ypr would add another 340ish yards to his total bringing him to 2090. I know that is some goofy math, but it stands to show how truly special his season was last year. With Manningham out, and Nicks banged up, could Cruz do the unthinkable in 2012?
Nicks and Cruz had essentially the same number of targets - Cruz with 132 and Nicks with 131.Giants targets.

And finish up with a bit of trivia...Easy: Name the three players that currently rank in the top twenty all time for two different seasonsMedium: Name the two cardinals in the top twenty Hard: Name the other two receivers (not including Rice, Bruce, Moore and Irvin) that had a top 25 finish in 1995. Note: they have since been bumped out
Without looking it up:Easy: Rice, Moss, Bruce?Medium: Roy Green, Fitz?Hard: Pickens, Martin?

Easy: Name the three players that currently rank in the top twenty all time for two different seasons

Hard: Name the other two receivers (not including Rice, Bruce, Moore and Irvin) that had a top 25 finish in 1995. Note: they have since been bumped out
Without looking it up:Easy: Rice, Moss, Bruce?

Medium: Roy Green, Fitz?

Hard: Pickens, Martin?
Wow, only 2 of 7 right... :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
From the title I was thinking - not possible. From reading the post I'm thinking - its going to happen. Still a very tough challenge and a lot of things are going to have click right, but if we get a guy who manages to have at least two and preferably three monster games (north of 225 yards) in the same season he'll be well on his way. Actually, I guess Calvin did close to that last year. Top 10 receiving days in 2011:

+---------+---------+------+| FName | LName | ReYd |+---------+---------+------+| Calvin | Johnson | 244 || Wes | Welker | 217 || Calvin | Johnson | 214 || Steve | Smith | 181 || Steve | Smith | 178 || Victor | Cruz | 178 || Vincent | Jackson | 172 || Jeremy | Maclin | 171 || DeSean | Jackson | 171 || Jared | Cook | 169 |+---------+---------+------+Top 10 receiving days since 2006, including playoffs:

+---------+---------+------+| FName | LName | ReYd |+---------+---------+------+| Lee | Evans | 265 || Chad | Johnson | 260 || Miles | Austin | 250 || Calvin | Johnson | 244 || Kenny | Britt | 225 || Terrell | Owens | 222 || Kevin | Curtis | 221 || Wes | Welker | 217 || Calvin | Johnson | 214 || Terrell | Owens | 213 |+---------+---------+------+NFL trivia is not my bag, but is David Boston or Rob Moore the second half of the answer to the Cardinal question?

It wont happen IMO. 2000 yards in 16 games is pretty damn hard. There's just so many ways a defense can neutralize a single WR if it really wants to. Eventually a WR will have a slow receiving day pretty much killing any chance at 2000.

Calvin Johnson. When the Lions draft another #1 WR opposite him to draw coverage.

With only 16 games, I can't see it happening even on the most high octane of offences. With 18 games, maybe, but then it would have to be the perfect storm on a weekly basis.

Any receiver who gets hot enough to get those kind of yards will be neutralized down the road, killing any chance of hitting the 2k mark.

While passing records are falling, that is largely driven by the increase in three- and four-wide receiver sets and the emergence of receiving tight ends. WR1s on teams are actually seeing their share of the pie go down -- http://www.footballperspective.com/examining-passing-distribution-in-the-nfl-since-1970/ -- with 2011 being the low point in over 2 decades.

The pie is getting bigger, but I don't think a WR is likely to hit 2K anytime soon.
Agreed. Many of the high-powered offenses (GB, NE, NO, etc.) spread it around too much for any one WR to average 125 receiving yards a game over a 16-game season. A freak like Megatron could conceivably do it, but it would take the perfect storm for him to even come close.

And finish up with a bit of trivia...Easy: Name the three players that currently rank in the top twenty all time for two different seasonsMedium: Name the two cardinals in the top twenty Hard: Name the other two receivers (not including Rice, Bruce, Moore and Irvin) that had a top 25 finish in 1995. Note: they have since been bumped out
Easy: Rice, Harrison, Holt Medium: Fitz, D BostonHard: Robert Brooks, ?????

T.O,Holt, Rice D. Boston, R. Green

T.Brown, A. Reed

With help from above answers

T.Brown, A. Reed

R.Green is wrong he played for STL

Gonna be Calvin. Short of putting two quality linebackers at the line to jam him and Lebron James and Revis behind those two, he can't be covered.

This will eventually happen in football. That much I'm sure of. It's only a matter of when IMO. It's really going to take an aligning of the stars type season for whoever does it but I certainly think it will happen at some point.

Calvin is a good guess. He plays in a dome, has a dominante QB, has all the physical tools to pull it off and plays in a division where he Det should have to score points for the next couple years at least.

While it's more likely for a guy playing in a dome, I don't think that is a must. Look at the season Moss put up in NE a few years ago. On top of that Brady and Rogers have been steadily putting up mind blowing numbers in the harsh outdoors elements of NE and GB for the past several seasons.

This will eventually happen in football. That much I'm sure of. It's only a matter of when IMO. It's really going to take an aligning of the stars type season for whoever does it but I certainly think it will happen at some point.

Calvin is a good guess. He plays in a dome, has a dominante QB, has all the physical tools to pull it off and plays in a division where he Det should have to score points for the next couple years at least.

While it's more likely for a guy playing in a dome, I don't think that is a must. Look at the season Moss put up in NE a few years ago. On top of that Brady and Rogers have been steadily putting up mind blowing numbers in the harsh outdoors elements of NE and GB for the past several seasons.
Despite his record-setting touchdowns, Moss only put up 1,4923 yards, which didn't even lead the league. That shows you how hard it will be to get to 2,000 yards, when a guy has a season as great as Moss did and didn't even get 3/4 of the way to 2,000 yards.

Despite his record-setting touchdowns, Moss only put up 1,4923 yards, which didn't even lead the league. That shows you how hard it will be to get to 2,000 yards, when a guy has a season as great as Moss did and didn't even get 3/4 of the way to 2,000 yards.
The point wasn't that Moss approached the 2,000 yd mark. It was that gaudy stats can, have and will be put up in the outdoors. While Moss only produced 1,500 yds that season NE also supported another WR with 112 receptions and 1,175 yds. Their 3rd WR produced 700 yds as well. If the distribution of targets is skewed more towards Moss, or insert your future player who has the "stars align", then you can see how the potential is there for that magical 2,000 yd season.Again, the point was only to show that it could happen outside of a dome.

For the trivia, here are the correct answers that have been given. Still one name on each question left to guess since I missed Harrison on the easy question. :wall:

Easy: Rice, Harrison, Holt, _________?

Medium: David Boston ,__________?

Hard: Robert Brooks, ________?

T.Brown, A. Reed

R.Green is wrong he played for STL Yeah the St Louis Cardinals.

While passing records are falling, that is largely driven by the increase in three- and four-wide receiver sets and the emergence of receiving tight ends. WR1s on teams are actually seeing their share of the pie go down -- http://www.footballperspective.com/examining-passing-distribution-in-the-nfl-since-1970/ -- with 2011 being the low point in over 2 decades.

The pie is getting bigger, but I don't think a WR is likely to hit 2K anytime soon.
I was hoping you'd chime in. Any idea if there is a negative correlation between (for instance) receptions over 90 and ypr? I found it odd that most players in the top 10 all time fell short in part because their ypr was mediocre (for them) in that particular year.

T.Brown, A. Reed

Nice guess, but Green stands at 22 all time.

It won't happen unless they extend the season or change rules to make passing even more overpowered.

T.Brown, A. Reed

Not a guess. Was just pointing out he was a Cardinal.

It will happen. I think they'll have to play on a team where they are far and away the best option. They'll draw more coverage but also more targets. They just have to have to targets. The other part of the equation is playing on a team with a horrrible pass defense that just can't stop anybody. So they'll be behind a lot and the other defense will be playing soft and letting them toss it around. Add playing in a division with great offenses and poor defenses. Put the Panthers and Saints with the Lions and Packers and a wr could really go crazy.

Calvin obiously has a shot. He has the qb, nobody else is really a very good player at this point and the lions secondary looks pretty awful. I don't think their defense is quite bad enough though.

Don't think it'll happen. It should be much easier for a RB to hit that 2000 yards from scrimmage than a receiver to hit the 2000 yards mark, even if his name is Calvin, right? Looking at the last 10 years of top 10 finishes in total yards from scrimmage, this is no common feat. To say a receiver can do it from receiving yards only would be very difficult.

2002 top 10 yards from scrimmage, RB's over 2000 yards and receivers included in the top 10:

1. Priest Holmes*+ · KAN 2287

2. Ricky Williams*+ · MIA 2216

3. LaDainian Tomlinson* · SDG 2172

10. Marvin Harrison*+ · IND 1732

2003 (total yards from scrimmage)

1. LaDainian Tomlinson · SDG 2370

2. Jamal Lewis*+ · BAL 2271

3. Ahman Green* · GNB 2250

4. Deuce McAllister* · NOR 2157

5. Priest Holmes*+ · KAN 2110

10. Torry Holt*+ · STL 1701

1. Tiki Barber* · NYG 2096

2. Edgerrin James* · IND 2031

top receiver under 1538 yards, not in top 10

1. Tiki Barber*+ · NYG 2390

2. Larry Johnson* · KAN 2093

9. Steve Smith*+ · CAR 1588 (tied with Lamont Jordan)

1. Steven Jackson* · STL 2334

2. LaDainian Tomlinson*+ · SDG 2323

3. Larry Johnson*+ · KAN 2199

4. Frank Gore* · SFO 2180

5. Tiki Barber* · NYG 2127

top receiver under 1433 yards, not in top 10

1. Brian Westbrook*+ · PHI 2104

7. Reggie Wayne* · IND 1514

8. Randy Moss*+ · NWE 1493

9. Chad Ochocinco* · CIN 1487

no RB over 1885 yards (APeterson) and Andre Johnson only receiver in top 10 with 1575 yards

1. Chris Johnson*+ · TEN 2509

2. Ray Rice* · BAL 2041

6. Andre Johnson*+ · HOU 1579

1. Arian Foster*+ · HOU 2220

1. Ray Rice* · BAL 2068

4. Calvin Johnson*+ · DET 1692

6. Wes Welker*+ · NWE 1599

8. Victor Cruz · NYG 1539

The trend is going in the right direction for a receiver to maybe get close, but 2000 yards seems like a ridiculously high number to me for a receiver. Top 10 all time for receivers:

1. Jerry Rice+ (33) 1,848 1995 SFO

2. Isaac Bruce (23) 1,781 1995 STL

3. Charley Hennigan (26) 1,746 1961 HOU

4. Marvin Harrison (30) 1,722 2002 IND

5. Torry Holt (27) 1,696 2003 STL

6. Herman Moore (26) 1,686 1995 DET

7. Calvin Johnson (26) 1,681 2011 DET

8. Marvin Harrison (27) 1,663 1999 IND

9. Jimmy Smith (30) 1,636 1999 JAX

10. Torry Holt (24) 1,635 2000 STL
If Jerry couldn't do it...

(edited post to hide the top 10 all time list, didnt read the trivia part in the OP until just now...)

Now I really need the :bag: Green's season is #22, so he wasn't right either. The only one I got was the easiest one, Rice on the easy question.

'gonzobill5 said:
'identikit said:

T.Brown, A. Reed

Rob Moore

'gonzobill5 said:
'identikit said:

T.Brown, A. Reed

Rob Moore
My mistake i read it as Ari WRs.Was Moore and Boston both catching balls from Plummer?

Let me just say these are all long shots, I see it happening but not more than once, and only in the next 4 or 5 years. The league goes in phases and right now it is a passing league, who knows what it will be in 5 or 6 years. I think Calvin Johnson has the perfect chance to do it and even then I only give him about a 5 percent to 10 percent chance to do it. Everything will have to go right, all the balls he gets 2 finger tips on will have to stick to his hand or be tipped perfectly to him. He will need a few of those Victor Cruz plays from last year where he catches it short breaks a tackle or two and goes 77 yards or 99 yards.

It will take a team with a bad defense, a bad running game, a good quarterback and the team will have to have 2 other solid but not dominate options in the passing game, with one of them being a tight end to help keep safeties honest. All this points to the Detroit Lions and Calvin Johnson in the present. In the near future you could see a few more teams that have a receiver with a chance: Atlanta in 3 years or so when White really slows down, the Bengals with A.J. Green if Dalton and Gresham continue to improve. Some really really long shots could be Blackmon in Jacksonville if they find a quarterback and MJD is long gone, Wright if him and Locker mesh well and Cook becomes the tight end we think, or if the Colts get a top wide receiver and Luck is everything we think.

'gonzobill5 said:
'identikit said:

T.Brown, A. Reed

Rob Moore
My mistake i read it as Ari WRs.Was Moore and Boston both catching balls from Plummer?
I think so but the first thing that made me think Moore (is it right?) was a game where Esiason threw for like 600 yards or something and Moore, IIRC, had a bunch of them.ETA: Esiason threw for 522 yards, but Moore only caught 3 for 91. Moore had 1584 yards that season though. That's pretty high. Maybe top 20?

Yes, Moore is correct. I think I would have figured David Boston, but I was shocked to see Moore's name next to his.

Here is another fun fact:

If Julio Jones were to keep his ypr and catch percentage, but swap targets with Roddy White, he would have had 2035 yards last year.

This, in my opinion, illustrates the major limiting factor - it is seemingly impossible to maintain a high ypr as your receptions go beyond 6 per game.

Might happen but I see a team having 2 guys at 1500 before. More passing yds now but alot of that is going to wr 2,3 and te not the wr1

Call me crazy but I think if GB ships a WR or TWO Randall Cobb has that Wes Welker/Percy Harvin like upside, but imo is going to be better in the open field. (Unless you already feel he's a gem, like I do)

I suppose I ignored the possibility that a team would drop back to throw 775 times in a season. Jesus.

I suppose I ignored the possibility that a team would drop back to throw 775 times in a season. Jesus.
More specifically, you missed the amount of targets a WR could possibly get if he were to approach this milestone. Calvin has 190 targets this. ONE HUNDRED NINTY! The next guy in Det has 96, Petigrew. The next WR in Det only has 56, Young who hasn't played in weeks. This really is the stars aligning-type season. Elite talent at WR, elite talent at WR, team that needs to chuck it on a regular basis because of poor D, no viable options in the passing game other than him and doom.

At this point I think Det will force feed Calvin just to get him 2,000 next week and the mark is all but gone.

More specifically, you issued the amount of targets a SR could possibly get if he were to approach this milestone. Calvin has 190 targets this. ONE HUNDRED NINTY! The next guy in Det has 96, Petigrew. The next WR in Det only has 56, Young who hasn't played in weeks. This really is the stars aligning-type season. Elite talent at WR, elite talent at WR, team that needs to chuck it on a regular basis because of poor D, no viable options in the passing game other than him and doom.

At this point I think Det will force feed Calvin just to get him 2,000 next week and the mark is all but gone.
Gotta admit I was wrong as well, but man. Some of the games he's had have been ridiculous. Can't believe D coordinators haven't gone all out in trying to take him out of games (or maybe they have but have failed miserably repeatedly.) Is 190 targets in a season a record? That number just really jumps out when you look at his stats. I hope he does it, he genuinely seems like a good dude.

Users who are viewing this thread