What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Zuerlein (1 Viewer)

Shawn

Footballguy
I have been hearing this guys name get dropped, as well as buzz about him possibly kicking a 70 yarder this season. In teams which give 4pts for 40yds 5 for 50 6(or more) for 60+ is this guy worth a look? I grabbed sea bass in the draft and now there are 12 kickers gone and i need a sleeper (LOL) at kicker untill he is back to it. I have not seen him play much but keep hearing good things about him. Just wondering if anyone else has caught some of the positive buzz surrounding this guy, on a team who will likely be attempting a lot of field goals for lack of playmakers on offense.

*edited spelling errors

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely on my radar. He kicked a 53 and a 55-yarder with ease last night. The Rams offense is nothing to write home about, but a dome kicker with that kind of leg certainly has my full attention.

Definitely on my radar. He kicked a 53 and a 55-yarder with ease last night. The Rams offense is nothing to write home about, but a dome kicker with that kind of leg certainly has my full attention.
Not sure I'd worry about the offense. They should stall out for plenty of field goal attempts. He's been drilling 60+ yarders in camp as well.

Not sure I'd worry about the offense. They should stall out for plenty of field goal attempts. He's been drilling 60+ yarders in camp as well.
the bad offense just makes his stock that much better when he can boot it in from halfway across the field.

the bad offense just makes his stock that much better when he can boot it in from halfway across the field.
Janikowski has the strongest leg in NFL history. He should be kicking one 60-yarder a game, no?

Janikowski has the strongest leg in NFL history. He should be kicking one 60-yarder a game, no?
sure but he can't do anything when he is injured

An under-the-radar option if you want to play it a little more safe is Phil Dawson in Cleveland. He's got a big leg (not gigantic, but plenty of leg from mid-50's), and terrific accuracy, proven year-in, year-out.

The offense doesn't need to be good. Just a little better. And I think with TRich, Weeden, and Gordon now on board, plus a year more experience for Little, this ought to be a team that stalls around the opponent's 30 more often than their own 40 for a change.

I think Dawson is a fairly safe bet to be in the discussion right alongside the Bironas, Bryant, etc. tier. If indeed there are any tiers.

I'm talking about the past. Be realistic. If Zuerlein gets one 60+ yarder this year, that's a lot. You have to remember, most coaches are hesitant to even attempt a FG in that range because you give the opponent the ball at the 50 if you miss. End-of-half and end-of-game situations are a different story though.

I'm talking about the past. Be realistic. If Zuerlein gets one 60+ yarder this year, that's a lot. You have to remember, most coaches are hesitant to even attempt a FG in that range because you give the opponent the ball at the 50 if you miss. End-of-half and end-of-game situations are a different story though.
I totally agree with you, I was being half sarcastic, as i thought you were as well! lol

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I lost track of how many times I screamed at the TV because the Raiders chose to punt into the end zone rather than let SeaBass try a long bomb. He's got the most amazing leg strength I've ever seen.

I have been and always will be a Janikowski fan (even though my favorite team is Seattle) The guy is just a beast. Hopefully his injury is only minor But for his price tag Lecheler needs to be used too right? :)

A Rams kicker is hardly FF gold.

Haven't seen anything from the team thus far to believe it will be any different than last year when their kicker was 31st in FF scoring.

I think Zuerlein is a great target for leagues that give extra points for distance.

The Rams offense (and team) had an inordinately and historically high number of injuries, completely derailing their offense. The year before, with a rookie QB and multiple WR injuries, they attempted 39 FGs. I would rate this as their floor. I think their overall offensive talent is better than 2010, though still no better than average... but last year was a catastrophe unlikely to happen this year.

Another potentially good target is the Tampa Bay kicker, Connor Barth. He has a great leg and is on an offense that will be better than last year as well.

'identikit said:
A Rams kicker is hardly FF gold.

Haven't seen anything from the team thus far to believe it will be any different than last year when their kicker was 31st in FF scoring.
Not that I think he's gold, but a couple of major differences are:Different head coach: Fisher has shown that he will trust a kicker to go for long FGs

Different kicker: That one is kinda obvious... ;)

Long leg, indoor kicker... Was my last player,, and only PK on my roster.. Salary cap, contract, keeper league, minimum $$ long term

Can't wait to draft this guy I never heard of five seconds ago.
he aced 55 and 52 last night, and that's not his longestmy only concern is if st louis can get to their opponents' 35, but I think their defense will be much better this year.if you look at akers last year, he got fat off a team with a fairly crap offense that just had to settle for a ton of fg.why can't the rams just kick from 50+ every possession?

Justin Tucker, K, Ravens... BAL has been in the Top 10 in K scoring 3 out of 4 years, 4th last year. (Mike Herman)

I was shocked at first to see them invest such a high draft pick on him. I then read a little more and was pleased at the gamble. Things are looking even better now.

I was shocked at first to see them invest such a high draft pick on him. I then read a little more and was pleased at the gamble. Things are looking even better now.
Kickers are kickers, but theres plenty more upside with kickers that are on teams that can actually get into field goal range. NOTHING this preseason suggests the Rams will be able to do that consistantly. Id rather roll the dice on someone else personally

i drafted him 2nd to the last round as my 2nd kicker. was debating on blair walsh as well but loved Zuerlins length :unsure:

I watched this kid since he starte dcollege ball at UN-Omaha. Might have one of the strongest and most accurate legs I have ever seen - happy he wound up witht he Rams as basically he was being scouted by the Cowboys since his freshman year of college. Would not be shocked AT ALL to see him set a distance record. He is stronger than Janikowski.

Kickers are kickers, but theres plenty more upside with kickers that are on teams that can actually get into field goal range. NOTHING this preseason suggests the Rams will be able to do that consistantly. Id rather roll the dice on someone else personally
I don't agree. The first team O looked ordinary in the first game, but Bradford was 7 of 9. The second week Bradford looked very good against KC with 2 TDs and 100+ yards in one quarter, and Steven Jackson looked beastly with 7-49. Zuerlein had a 52 yard FG in the 2nd quarter. Last week they looked sucky without Jackson against a good D... and Zuerlein had TWO 50+ yard FGs.People look at last year's stats too much when evaluating this year's production. As I said earlier, the Rams had a historically high number of players injured; not just for a game or two, but put on IR. Literally half of the players they had to start out of necessity are with not on the roster or are relegated to special teams. Then they acquired Cortland Finnegan, Kendall Langford, Steve Smith, and C Scott Wells in free agency. And they get back Rodger Saffold at T and Amendola at WR (not flashy, but he doesn't drop passes, a MAJOR problem last year). Added Brockers at DT and Jenkins at CB, both have looked good. Robert Quinn has been terrorizing QBs this preseason.

The #1 problem with the Rams last year was injuries. The #2 problem, lack of depth, was only a big problem because of #1. I think they still need more depth, but injuries cannot be predicted. ANY team with as many injuries as the Rams last year will be worse, and usually significantly worse.

The bottom line is that last year was a lost year for the Rams and really has very little bearing when projecting this year's Rams. Use the 2010 Rams as a loose baseline and adjust from there.

I'm not saying the Rams are going to be awesome, but kicker is a funny position to fill for fantasy. Last year David Akers was by far the #1 fantasy kicker. Was San Fran a top 5 offense? Top 10? No, San Fran was the #26 offense. Janikowski was #2 on the #9 offense (#9 is middlish of the pack, almost the same as #13 - about 2% better). #5 kicker came from the #11 O, #7 K came from the #22 O... kicker trends are goofy. The Giants had the #8 offense, but the #30 kicker. Pittsburg had the #12 O and the #24 K. Philly had the #4 offense but only the #19 kicker.

The Rams are not going to score a ton of TDs... and that is very good for the kicker. The Rams D is not going to be elite, but they will be improved... keeping them in the game longer... making it so that FGs are relevant longer... and they have a kicker that can kick from outside of 50 yards accurately and with ease.

And this now marks the most I have ever written about kickers, probably in the last 10 years combined. And I am sure it is the most I will ever write again, probably in the next 10 years combined. :lol: :nerd:

A Rams kicker is hardly FF gold.Haven't seen anything from the team thus far to believe it will be any different than last year when their kicker was 31st in FF scoring.
I realize we're discussing a kicker, and I can't believe I'm getting this in depth. But the Rams O is at least healthier than last year. That's all I can say about that. (I was being somewhat sarcastic with my "They should stall out plenty" comment. Just taking a dig at the Rams)Just looking at the offense is ignoring other aspects. Like Josh Brown and his terrible FG percentage of 75%. Or his lack of 50+ yard attempts - 0/2, and probably didn't get at least a couple more because he just couldn't make them. From what I recall watching Rams games last year they punted quite a bit when it seemed like they were close enough for a long FG.So far Fisher hasn't even bothered kicking FGs when the offense is in 35 and lower range. He has, however, gotten three attempts from 50+ and is perfect.

'Lott said:
I don't agree. The first team O looked ordinary in the first game, but Bradford was 7 of 9. The second week Bradford looked very good against KC with 2 TDs and 100+ yards in one quarter, and Steven Jackson looked beastly with 7-49. Zuerlein had a 52 yard FG in the 2nd quarter. Last week they looked sucky without Jackson against a good D... and Zuerlein had TWO 50+ yard FGs. also accuracy is important which he has because some leagues subtract points for missed fgs which can make you lose pretty fast if you have Josh Brown on a bad day you might even get negative kicker points...People look at last year's stats too much when evaluating this year's production. As I said earlier, the Rams had a historically high number of players injured; not just for a game or two, but put on IR. Literally half of the players they had to start out of necessity are with not on the roster or are relegated to special teams. Then they acquired Cortland Finnegan, Kendall Langford, Steve Smith, and C Scott Wells in free agency. And they get back Rodger Saffold at T and Amendola at WR (not flashy, but he doesn't drop passes, a MAJOR problem last year). Added Brockers at DT and Jenkins at CB, both have looked good. Robert Quinn has been terrorizing QBs this preseason.

The #1 problem with the Rams last year was injuries. The #2 problem, lack of depth, was only a big problem because of #1. I think they still need more depth, but injuries cannot be predicted. ANY team with as many injuries as the Rams last year will be worse, and usually significantly worse.

The bottom line is that last year was a lost year for the Rams and really has very little bearing when projecting this year's Rams. Use the 2010 Rams as a loose baseline and adjust from there.

I'm not saying the Rams are going to be awesome, but kicker is a funny position to fill for fantasy. Last year David Akers was by far the #1 fantasy kicker. Was San Fran a top 5 offense? Top 10? No, San Fran was the #26 offense. Janikowski was #2 on the #9 offense (#9 is middlish of the pack, almost the same as #13 - about 2% better). #5 kicker came from the #11 O, #7 K came from the #22 O... kicker trends are goofy. The Giants had the #8 offense, but the #30 kicker. Pittsburg had the #12 O and the #24 K. Philly had the #4 offense but only the #19 kicker.

The Rams are not going to score a ton of TDs... and that is very good for the kicker. The Rams D is not going to be elite, but they will be improved... keeping them in the game longer... making it so that FGs are relevant longer... and they have a kicker that can kick from outside of 50 yards accurately and with ease.

And this now marks the most I have ever written about kickers, probably in the last 10 years combined. And I am sure it is the most I will ever write again, probably in the next 10 years combined. :lol: :nerd:
hahaha I appreciate the long thought out post on a position that many dont seem to care about. When kickers start getting bonus points for long field goals in your leagues you just may want to research them a bit more lol! in the game where he got 2 fg in the half of 50+yds that would be 10 points right there. Also in some leagues kickers lose points for missed FGs andf this guy is money!

sweet! this guy is still a decent guy to roster in my opinion after researching him, IF you get bonus for long FG because lets face it the rams dont go to the redzone often

I like the consistent length Zuerlein is putting up. Agree he's worth a flier, but would rather invest in someone like Shayne Graham, who wins the job by default with Bullock on IR, and benefiting from an offense that will put him in range a lot.

I like the consistent length Zuerlein is putting up. Agree he's worth a flier, but would rather invest in someone like Shayne Graham, who wins the job by default with Bullock on IR, and benefiting from an offense that will put him in range a lot.
What is Shayne Graham's range because Zuerlein has a Janikowski-esque range lol Im talking purely in a league where points are added for lengthy field goals and subtracted for misses his college stats make him look promising, all those consecutive fgs including long 58 yarders

And a 59 yarder tonight. Big leg.Missed a 62 yarder, though.
The only question is whether Fisher will let him attempt FGs of that length in the real games. BIG downside to missing those, unless it's the end of either half. I scooped him up at my draft tonight. Last round. Everyone in the room heard a HAWK screech. :thumbup:

This kid is starting to look like money in a bonus league for 50yd FG's.
I am probably acting like a liquored-up kicker lover, but I'm dropping Gostkowski for this guy. (Side note - Gostkowski costs twice as much, I think he will have less consistency on # of attempts than usual bc ofensive line problems this year, and our league gives big bonus points for 50 yarders and minimizes the penalty for long misses.)I feel stupid, but I figure at worst case I grab another kicker for nothing later; best case I've saved some waiver-wire cash and upgraded the position. Folks have won games on long field goals in our league.

Oh, and it's a kicker.

Just picked him up in a league where ill be starting him over Janikowski this weekend. I need an edge against the second best team in the league.

Also went up against Packers D this week and they put up 30 points so I may be looking for an edge there too. I have Matt Bryant. Should I make the switch?

This guy seems like the real deal here.

Greg "The Leg"?

Just picked him up in a league where ill be starting him over Janikowski this weekend. I need an edge against the second best team in the league. Also went up against Packers D this week and they put up 30 points so I may be looking for an edge there too. I have Matt Bryant. Should I make the switch?This guy seems like the real deal here. Greg "The Leg"?
Did you just turn this into a WKDIS thread? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread