Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
togo

Jimmy Graham?

Have any NFL players come back from this and been roughly the same? I cant think of any.

Jene was going through the list on Twitter earlier of players who have had same injury. It's not a pretty list.

Pours a 40 out for Jimmy.

Thanks for all you did Jimmy. You have me quite a few banners over the years.

:cry:

What are dynasty owners doing? What would you take for him now? I'm hoping I can move him on his name value (what's left of it, thanks Seattle) this offseason to someone who just sees "knee injury."

What are dynasty owners doing? What would you take for him now? I'm hoping I can move him on his name value (what's left of it, thanks Seattle) this offseason to someone who just sees "knee injury."

A 2nd rounder is about the most i think you could expect.

• Like 1

A 2nd rounder is about the most i think you could expect.

Probably true. I think he's a hold. Yeah, its a devastating injury.. but its Jimmy. I'd prefer 70% of him on a more lucrative offense to tell the truth.

Rotoworld:

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Jimmy Graham (knee) should be recovered in time for the 2016 season.

As we learned with Victor Cruz, a torn patellar tendon is among the worst injuries an athlete can suffer. Graham is facing a tough recovery process that should last well into training camp. Even if he gets back in time for Week 1, Graham is unlikely to be as effective coming off the devastating injury. Graham is facing an uphill climb to be a productive player in 2016.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Nov 30 - 1:03 PM

Brutal. Players do not come back from this. Victor Cruz is the poster boy for this injury. I will be trading him come the off season... and be happy with whatever I get.

I always think of Ryan Williams myself.

It wasn't too long ago that an ACL tear was the death of guys.

Who known when the medical world produces some new innovative treatment for this.

I wouldnt sell Graham for peanuts.

I also wouldnt give up more than peanuts to get him

Who known when the medical world produces some new innovative treatment for this.

Guys have been coming back from ACL's for a long time, though. It's just that recently it's become even more of a sure thing and the recovery time has shrunk. When someone comes back from this it will basically be the first time.

Guys have been coming back from ACL's for a long time, though. It's just that recently it's become even more of a sure thing and the recovery time has shrunk. When someone comes back from this it will basically be the first time.

That's incorrect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21813442

CONCLUSION:

Patellar tendon ruptures can occur in otherwise healthy professional football players without antecedent symptoms or predisposing factors. The most common mechanism of injury is eccentric overload. Close attention should be paid to stability examination of the knee given the not uncommon occurrence of concomitant ACL injury. Although this is usually a season-ending injury when it occurs in isolation, acute surgical repair generally produces good functional results and allows for return to play the following season. Players chosen earlier in the draft are more likely to return to play.

That's incorrect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21813442

CONCLUSION:

Patellar tendon ruptures can occur in otherwise healthy professional football players without antecedent symptoms or predisposing factors. The most common mechanism of injury is eccentric overload. Close attention should be paid to stability examination of the knee given the not uncommon occurrence of concomitant ACL injury. Although this is usually a season-ending injury when it occurs in isolation, acute surgical repair generally produces good functional results and allows for return to play the following season. Players chosen earlier in the draft are more likely to return to play.

Give us some names.

I'd buy low on this guy if he's available. Looked like the Seahawks were starting to figure out how to use him with almost 8 targets a game over his last 6 games.

Start of the season is only 9 months post injury, that would be pretty optimistic.

Probably on the PUP list, then returns to the field mid-season.

I would be surprised if he puts up any significant numbers .

I tore my patellar tendon a year ago. Even though it's healed, it will never feel the same again.

Granted, I am not an elite athlete, and I didn't have the medical and rehab attention that Graham is getting.

But, I'm not trying to play in the NFL either. Returning to normal life was difficult enough.

Compared to the stuff we heard early on from Victor Cruz, Ryan Williams or Morris Clairbone, the early noise on Graham is significantly more positive. Impossible to say with certainty if there is indeed substance behind it, but it definitely makes me more optimistic about the guy's chances of being productive again compared to the average torn patellar case

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll says the "hope remains" that Jimmy Graham (patellar tendon) is ready for Week 1.

Speaking Thursday, Russell Wilson said Graham is "healing really fast," and will be "back sooner than people think." Wilson's quotes are per ESPN's Sheil Kapadia. The Seahawks have maintained a sense of vagueness with Graham's timeline all offseason, but there seems to be some genuine optimism he avoids the reserve/PUP list. Nevertheless, Graham should be considered a late-round injury question mark for fantasy purposes until further notice.

Really down on him. Getting up in age, didn't look like they were using him 'right' in Seattle and coming off a major injury. I am sure plenty of people will draft him higher than they ought to based on his name. For me- no interest because I doubt he will still be there when I would even begin thinking of taking him.

If you have him, I would seek to trade him away and hope someone falls in love with the name to give you more than he is worth.

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/06/02/seattle-seahawks-jimmy-grahams-career-jeopardy/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Seattle Seahawks: Jimmy Graham’s Career in Jeopardy

Seattle Seahawks tight end Jimmy Graham‘s career is in serious question after suffering a torn patellar tendon in Week 12 of the 2015 season.

...  Graham would have been better off tearing his ACL. He would have been better off tearing his MCL. He would have been better off tearing both his ACL and MCL. Plenty of players over the last few seasons have come back from those injuries.

... Some of the players have come back and played in the NFL after a torn patellar tendon (Buckhalter, Williams) but were never the same player before the injury.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll "absolutely" expects Jimmy Graham (patellar tendon) to be ready for Week 1.

Crazily, Carroll said Graham is ahead of Thomas Rawls. Graham was hurt before Rawls, and at least at the time, suffered what was believed to be a far more serious injury. Graham will be babied through camp, undoubtedly sitting out the preseason, but could perhaps end up a discounted TE1 because of the severely diminished expectations.

Jun 16 - 5:20 PM

On 5/26/2016 at 5:49 PM, Chadstroma said:

Really down on him. Getting up in age, didn't look like they were using him 'right' in Seattle and coming off a major injury. I am sure plenty of people will draft him higher than they ought to based on his name. For me- no interest because I doubt he will still be there when I would even begin thinking of taking him.

If you have him, I would seek to trade him away and hope someone falls in love with the name to give you more than he is worth.

His adp is 128 on one site. 10.6 on another. On each he is the 12th TE or last starting TE in a 12 team league.

When I read this I thought you meant that he'd be going high in drafts as in previous years. Is that the case? Does round 10 make him hmmmm for you?

1 hour ago, Bri said:

His adp is 128 on one site. 10.6 on another. On each he is the 12th TE or last starting TE in a 12 team league.

When I read this I thought you meant that he'd be going high in drafts as in previous years. Is that the case? Does round 10 make him hmmmm for you?

I am surprised to see that ADP.  I really thought it would be higher, which I suppose it could get ther once camps open and if we start hearing he is "on course" to be ready for  Week 1.  Once drafting starts in earnest, I think it would go up in that scenario.  I would pass on him, also, for my input on it.

Jimmy Graham says he's dropped 15 pounds since last season and is down to 260.

Graham also said the rehab process he underwent following last year's ruptured patellar tendon "is twice as hard as practices." Graham's Combine weigh-in was 6-foot-6, 260, so he's back at his playing weight coming out of college. While it's certainly good news that Graham was removed from the active/PUP list on Wednesday, we remain skeptical of his fantasy impact this year.

Aug 10 - 8:04 PM

My take on this year is I'm not going to touch him at all for FF.  I think with the breakout of Baldwin, emergence of Rawls, return of Paul Richardson, and re-signing of Kearse the team just doesn't need to focus on getting the ball to Graham in year one of his recovery.  

Now, in dynasty, I'm going to sit and wait for his price to drop over the course of the year and then buy when low.  Maybe I'll regret that later, but I've always liked the talent and I think the Seahawks are going to not-so-slowly move to a high passing offense. That's good enough for me to gamble a bit and be a buyer.

My take on this year is I'm not going to touch him at all for FF. 

me too unless he falls so very far that its a WR6/7 pick, or take a chance on Jimmy ...... an ACL is one thing, the patella tendon is quite another

5 hours ago, biju said:

My take on this year is I'm not going to touch him at all for FF.  I think with the breakout of Baldwin, emergence of Rawls, return of Paul Richardson, and re-signing of Kearse the team just doesn't need to focus on getting the ball to Graham in year one of his recovery.  

Agree with this, especially because you didn't even mention this year's breakout player, Lockett.

Coach Pete Carroll said Jimmy Graham's (knee) Week 1 status will be determined late next week.

"Jimmy has been practicing full-go," Carroll said. "We’ll just keep taking it day-to-day." This conflicts with an earlier report that Graham has been limited to individual drills in practice. Graham is going to miss the entire preseason, but he's starting to trend in the right direction. He remains questionable for Week 1.

Source: seahawks.com

On 12/6/2015 at 11:44 AM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Give us some names.

We did this sometime earlier in this thread or another.

Sean Spence is one I recall

Took him in the 10th round of an FPC draft. I think at this point where he has dropped he is value. Locally a lot of good things are being said about his recovery.

1 hour ago, ImTheScientist said:

Took him in the 10th round of an FPC draft. I think at this point where he has dropped he is value. Locally a lot of good things are being said about his recovery.

team KDR22 in the #3 spot today? I liked your draft. 

7 hours ago, TwinTurbo said:

team KDR22 in the #3 spot today? I liked your draft. 

Wasn't me....this was last week. 

10 hours ago, ImTheScientist said:

Tell me more please. This thread is too doctor-y

Went back and looked at this guys stats from a few years ago. Wow. As it is now, until he proves it, he's not really more than depth. 

Edited by thehornet

2 hours ago, Bri said:

Tell me more please. This thread is too doctor-y

Pete has been talking more positive than normal about him and I listen to local radio every day all day. They broadcast from practice and the opinion is he looks great. Lost 15 points to put less pressure on the knee and be faster. My suspicion and (others in the media) is the hawks have given up using him as an in-line TE (like they were last year) and will use him more out wide like the saints did. He sucks at blocking and they saw that last year. Some in the media feel he will be back week 3 or 4 while others are saying week 1. Pete himself said yesterday next week will determine if he plays. Apparently before the last preseason game in warmups (against air) he was moving great. One local radio/former QB Brock Huard was gushing about how he looked. While Brock is a bit of a homer he normally doesn't go that far out of his way to talk like that. 

To be honest at the start of the preseason I was very skeptical. I had one early draft and avoided him (my don't draft list) but after hearing all the reviews on how he looks I believe. I also feel like the hawks are looking to pass a bit more than they did last year. Russ has really looked on point and the coaching staff feels Russ has now mastered reading defenses and knowing what they want to do to him. He is really doing well at calls on the line and putting them in the right play. 

I have him as the 3rd TE on one of my FPC teams. He should be going ahead of Tyler Eifert but isn't. While I dont expect him to come out the gate killing it I can see him really picking up steam after he has one or two games under his belt. 

ETA: Rawls should be drafted earlier than he has been and Cmike is getting more hype than he should be getting.

Edited by ImTheScientist
  • Like 2

The Seattle Times' Bob Condotta said "it’s still uncertain" if Jimmy Graham (knee) will play Week 1.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported over the weekend Graham was "no sure thing" to play Week 1 despite coach Pete Carroll saying he has been a "full-go" in practice. Even if Graham does play, he will likely play limited snaps in his first game action since tearing his patellar tendon last November. He is not worth using even if he is active.

Source: Seattle Times 

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said the team is "going one day at a time" with Jimmy Graham (knee).

"I have no expectations that he’s going to play this week," Carroll continued. "I’m just counting on him coming out and having a really good day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and then we’ll see what happens from there." ESPN's Sheil Kapadia believes Luke Willson will get the start this week, indicating Graham will either sit out or play a limited role. Even if he suits up, Graham is not going to see enough targets to be a usable fantasy player.

Source: Seattle Times 
Sep 6 - 8:39 AM