What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jimmy Graham, CHI (1 Viewer)

"The values are computed based on the general principles outlined in this article. They can be interpreted as trade values and they correspond to auction values in a $200 cap league with a minimum bid of $1."

"The values are computed based on the general principles outlined in this article. They can be interpreted as trade values and they correspond to auction values in a $200 cap league with a minimum bid of $1."
They have to be wrong. How can the project Graham to provide A LOT more VBD, but be worth less.How can they project Vernon Davis to score positive VBD, Peirre Thomas negative VBD, but rank Thomas higher.There is no logic behind their TE rankings, other than the formula is wrong somewhere. I sure hope someone didn't trade away a TE, based on the top 250.

JameyEisenberg Jamey EisenbergNo practice Wednesday for Jimmy Graham (ankle), but he apparently looked good running around. Stay tuned.
He'll play. Calm down. If he doesn't he'll play the next week. Nothing about this sounds serious outside of a rumor posted on a message board.
You are ever the optimist. I don't see how anyone can forecast a return date until he's practicing fully. Pure wishful thinking and clinging to rabbits feet. When he's back even as a limited participant in practice, let's talk.
He was. Running on the sidelines is limited practice.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Saints are "uncertain" whether Jimmy Graham (ankle) will be active for Week 7.

It's beginning to sound like Graham suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 5. Graham played through the injury against the Chargers, but the fact he missed today's practice coming off New Orleans' bye week would seem to rule out a garden-variety sprain. The New Orleans Times-Picayune considers Graham "very questionable" for Week 7. We'll know more on Thursday, but owners need to have a contingency plan ready.

Not to turn this into an AC, I just got an offer of Gronk and Decker for my Graham and Doug Martin. Really thinking about taking it.

He wasn't running, and according to his coach, "Looking good" on a high ankle sprain less than 2 weeks after the injury. Anyone who has had a high ankle sprain can tell you that. If it was a high ankle sprain, he'd be in the training room knee deep in a garbage can full of ice and water. Is it sprained? Yeah, probably. But it is not a multi-week missing injury. Use a little logic evaluating this guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orleans could be without All-Pro TE Jimmy Graham when they play at Tampa Bay on Sunday.

Even after a week off for the Saints' bye, Graham did not practice Wednesday, still bothered by a sprained ankle he sustained against San Diego on Oct. 7.

Interim coach Aaron Kromer refused to specify whether it was low or high ankle sprain.

“Whatever it is, he was able to run around a little bit today,” Kromer said. “He just didn't practice. He looks good. We'll work him into the week. Any time you have an ankle, you want to slowly work your way back until game day. We know what he can do on the field.”

Graham led the Saints with 99 catches for 1,310 yards and 11 touchdowns last year, his second in the NFL. He had 24 catches through four games this season before getting hurt on a 4-yard reception early against San Diego. Although he returned in the second half, he was used only as a decoy as New Orleans rallied to win 31-24 for it first victory.

“Any time you're down a playmaker, just like last week with (wide receiver) Lance (Moore), we adjust and we manage,” quarterback Drew Brees said. “It just gives an opportunity to other guys.”

The options at tight end are limited. David Thomas, the Saints' top backup, has two catches for 11 yards. Daniel Graham, the No. 3 guy, has not caught a pass.

The news was not all bad for the Saints. Kromer said Moore, who sat out the San Diego game with a hamstring problem, practiced fully on Wednesday. Moore has 19 receptions for 287 yards and two touchdowns.

Follow Saints reporter Guerry Smith on twitter @CBSSaints.

At least Graham owners should still have their backup TE from his bye-week still on their roster.

I dont think the Saints can really afford to play on the safe side with him. They need to start winning games if the are gonna salvage this season. The spread is only 2 i believe so this might be a close one. Was thinking maybe they can open up a nice lead then pull him but doubt that happens.

“Whatever it is, he was able to run around a little bit today,” Kromer said. “He just didn't practice. He looks good. We'll work him into the week. Any time you have an ankle, you want to slowly work your way back until game day. We know what he can do on the field.

IOW he doesn't need practice so we're taking it easy on him following an injury.

“Whatever it is, he was able to run around a little bit today,” Kromer said. “He just didn't practice. He looks good. We'll work him into the week. Any time you have an ankle, you want to slowly work your way back until game day. We know what he can do on the field.

IOW he doesn't need practice so we're taking it easy on him following an injury.
Or IOW it's coachspeak for: "we are going to list him as questionable and a GTD" only to force Tampa to be gameplan for him and then announce him as a late Sunday Morning scratch. I'm saying this only as a hypothetical since we are allowed to run with those here.

Did this for Aaron Hernandez and I'll do it for Jimmy Graham.

Link to my tweet including a screencap showing Graham's injury.

I'd never argue that you can be 100% certain about an injury diagnosis sitting in front of a screen and without an exam or imaging study to help/confirm the suspicion. But the first thing we ask injured players is, "How did the injury happen?" even if we saw the mechanism ourselves. Injuries follow the laws of physics. There are classic mechanisms for nearly every injury. Some happen too quickly to know the mechanism for certain, some mechanisms are associated with more than one type of injury.

The screencap in my link is very strong evidence of a high ankle sprain vs a classic low ankle sprain.

As I posted yesterday, that doesn't necessarily mean that Graham is out for six weeks. And players with a high pain tolerance can sometimes play through low grade high ankle sprains -- on the day of the injury with some adrenaline and taping before the swelling and inflammation become significant and later with the help of good treatment, taping and anti-inflammatories.

The usual range is somewhere between two and six weeks. There are outliers on both sides, most notably Andre Johnson in 2010 who was back on the field one week after a HAS in Week 2. He struggled his way to a decent day in Week 3 -- coming off the field often after tweaking the injury -- then missed Week 4, before pretty much getting back to normal in Week 5 and beyond.

Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5842/jimmy-graham

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, there's "not a lot of optimism" about Jimmy Graham's (ankle) Week 7 status.

The sprain Graham sustained in Week 5 is more severe than the Saints have let on. It could be a high-ankle sprain. Remember that Aaron Hernandez needed three full weeks off to recover from his high-ankle sprain before returning for limited snaps last week. Graham's injury didn't appear to be quite that serious, but owners should be securing other Week 7 options immediately. Oct 18 - 9:35 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/244846/report-not-a-lot-of-optimism-on-jimmy-graham

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, there's "not a lot of optimism" about Jimmy Graham's (ankle) Week 7 status.

The sprain Graham sustained in Week 5 is more severe than the Saints have let on. It could be a high-ankle sprain. Remember that Aaron Hernandez needed three full weeks off to recover from his high-ankle sprain before returning for limited snaps last week. Graham's injury didn't appear to be quite that serious, but owners should be securing other Week 7 options immediately.
So, where does this slot Thomas if Graham sits?

I really doubt he suffered a high ankle sprain. If he did, he would not have been able to continue playing vs SD. Granted, It may be a bad sprain.

I think they are using this as a smokescreen. I think he plays on Sunday and does quite well. If he is active, I am starting him on my team. Learned my lesson when I benched Hernandez last week.

I really doubt he suffered a high ankle sprain. If he did, he would not have been able to continue playing vs SD. Granted, It may be a bad sprain.
Tough for me to believe he has a high ankle sprain as well given the fact he did run on it yesterday. I have no idea what to think at this point but if he plays Sunday he starts for me. He's too good and as we saw with Hernandez last week all it takes is a short TD catch to end up with a productive day at the very least. I know they used Graham as a decoy in the last game but I can't believe they'd trot him out that way for an entire game this week. Why even run the risk of re-aggravating the injury if you know going in he's not going to be part of the game plan. I get the impact his presence has on a defense and all that but to me there's nothing more important than his health for the rest of the season. If he's not healthy enough to play, sit him. If you're going to activate him, use him.

I really doubt he suffered a high ankle sprain. If he did, he would not have been able to continue playing vs SD. Granted, It may be a bad sprain. I think they are using this as a smokescreen. I think he plays on Sunday and does quite well. If he is active, I am starting him on my team. Learned my lesson when I benched Hernandez last week.
smokescreen? the guy was in a boot last week. you don't hold guys out of practice as a smokescreen.

Tough for me to believe he has a high ankle sprain as well given the fact he did run on it yesterday. I have no idea what to think at this point but if he plays Sunday he starts for me. He's too good and as we saw with Hernandez last week all it takes is a short TD catch to end up with a productive day at the very least. I know they used Graham as a decoy in the last game but I can't believe they'd trot him out that way for an entire game this week. Why even run the risk of re-aggravating the injury if you know going in he's not going to be part of the game plan. I get the impact his presence has on a defense and all that but to me there's nothing more important than his health for the rest of the season. If he's not healthy enough to play, sit him. If you're going to activate him, use him.
He may have tried to run on it and then realized he isn't ready to return. The coach saying "he looked good" smells like BS.

He may have tried to run on it and then realized he isn't ready to return. The coach saying "he looked good" smells like BS.
Could be. Like I said, I'm not sure what to believe at this point other than I don't think he has a high ankle sprain.

Lot of wishful thinking in this thread.

Regardless if this is a high ankle sprain or not, the data is piling up against Graham being 100% this week.

KY

Lot of wishful thinking in this thread.
He's a stud who I will not be able to effectively replace if he sits. Damn straight I'm all about wishful thinking right now. And praying and anything else I can do to ensure he's in the lineup and his usual self on Sunday.

There's a chat right now on nola.com with beat writer Jeff Duncan, who just posted this a few minutes ago in answer to Graham questions:

"I think he plays. Ankles are one of the easiest injuries to play with. They can usually apply some painkiller injection and you can get through the game. I'll be surprised if he doesn't play."

:fingerscrossed:

There's a chat right now on nola.com with beat writer Jeff Duncan, who just posted this a few minutes ago in answer to Graham questions:I think he plays. Ankles are one of the easiest injuries to play with. They can usually apply some painkiller injection and you can get through the game. I'll be surprised if he doesn't play. :fingerscrossed:
Slightly off topic but is that true about ankles? I would think the opposite would be the case here.

Even if Graham does play, he's clearly not 100% and is a danger of being used as a decoy and have his route tree cut down considerably and his overall field reps sliced. I guess if you need him bad enough, you should just go ahead and start him. I'm going to make him prove it to me at least one week before I take the plunge and risk another stinker.

There's a chat right now on nola.com with beat writer Jeff Duncan, who just posted this a few minutes ago in answer to Graham questions:I think he plays. Ankles are one of the easiest injuries to play with. They can usually apply some painkiller injection and you can get through the game. I'll be surprised if he doesn't play. :fingerscrossed:
Slightly off topic but is that true about ankles? I would think the opposite would be the case here.
That surprised me too-- I have a hard time believing that, but maybe he's referring to a lower-ankle sprain, I don't know that you can do anything but ride out the time with a high-ankle. I had a bad one once and besides the doc handing me a pair of crutches, and a bill for $150, there's not much else they can do.

If he is active, I will start him with confidence. At least he plays in the early games so that we can make adjustments if he is ruled inactive.

That surprised me too-- I have a hard time believing that, but maybe he's referring to a lower-ankle sprain, I don't know that you can do anything but ride out the time with a high-ankle. I had a bad one once and besides the doc handing me a pair of crutches, and a bill for $150, there's not much else they can do.
I think it comes from the idea that, like he said, you can shoot up the troubled area and then heavily tape it to keep it stabilized. The second part is more important from what I've heard. Then it's just pain tolerance.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/244846/report-not-a-lot-of-optimism-on-jimmy-graham

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, there's "not a lot of optimism" about Jimmy Graham's (ankle) Week 7 status.The sprain Graham sustained in Week 5 is more severe than the Saints have let on. It could be a high-ankle sprain. Remember that Aaron Hernandez needed three full weeks off to recover from his high-ankle sprain before returning for limited snaps last week. Graham's injury didn't appear to be quite that serious, but owners should be securing other Week 7 options immediately.
So, where does this slot Thomas if Graham sits?
Which one?

So happy that i didn't have to worry about his availability and could simply plug Vernon Davis into the line-up of my keeper league... :bag:

Love the photo. Looks like he's doing a flying side kick to someone's head. Given what we know I say he plays.

he is going to be a GTD. so, if he plays is he still a must start? I keep reading decoy and limited and I wonder if its just better to sit him one week. debating heath miller over him :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread