What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrelle Pryor (1 Viewer)

Does he become QB eligible? Will he maintain WR status all year even if he becomes starting QB? I know various leagues will treat differently, mainly care about ESPN leagues. 

What an asset if you can get QB points in a WR or flex spot. 

Cris Carter ‏@criscarter80  20h20 hours ago
Terrell Pryor transition to Wr is amazing. Many have tried but only a few have become legitimate NFL WR's #Respect
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17633193

Pryor started the game at receiver and caught eight passes for 144 yards.

He lined up 14 times at quarterback in the shotgun, ran four times for 21 yards and a touchdown and threw five passes, completing three.

He also spent a play in the secondary, playing deep safety in case the Miami Dolphins tried a Hail Mary at the end of the first half.

Pryor finished the Browns' 30-24 overtime loss to the Dolphins with 200 total yards and the rushing touchdown. Coach Hue Jackson said he had never seen a player do as much in one game as Pryor did.

... "I can't say enough about the job Terrelle Pryor did," wide receiver Andrew Hawkins said. "He really put the offense on his back when he got the opportunity."

...  Pryor even moved spots at receiver after first-round pick Corey Coleman broke his hand in practice Wednesday. Pryor had been playing at "Z" but moved to "X" after Coleman's injury.

"They got to pull me off this damn field," Pryor said. "I love the game, man. There's nothing else I'd rather do."

Does he become QB eligible? Will he maintain WR status all year even if he becomes starting QB? I know various leagues will treat differently, mainly care about ESPN leagues.
ESPN leagues set a player's position at the start of the season (based on NFL rosters) and do not change them.

http://games.espn.com/ffl/resources/help/faq?name=how-is-a-players-position-eligibility-determined

Most of his points were not in the traditional method of throwing the football at QB, I think he had less than 30 yds pass. Had he thrown a TD pass then I think folks would be even more excited about him. 

They ran a wildcat style offense at times where he basically took a direct snap and ran. Now before everyone gets excited let's remember...

-Josh Gordon is the Alpha Dog at WR, Pryor will benefit from him on the field but he instantly is downgraded to the #2 target. 

-Coleman was tearing it up before the injury and he is a highly touted rookie that looks good. Pryor easily slides behind Coleman when he returns in 4-6. 

-Barnidge doesn't get a lot of targets but he is a good TE. I would be trying to trade for him if I were an NFL GM(Mike Tannenbaum) because his dip in production has nothing to do with him. He gets open and he catches a lot of crummy thrown footballs. 

-Dynasty owners should be trying to trade him if at all possible IMHO. In redraft/DFS he is probably money until Coleman returns. 

I dropped him last week assuming there will be weeks like this. Well, maybe not weeks like this, but didnt want to chase points with an unknown. what a way to show up, sick athlete. i won't try to get back into owning him again though he's sitting out there for FAAB tomorrow in my league, his value will certainly be ridiculous at this point.

He is throwing for one this week. Throw, run and catch one.

Then I woke up.

He should see QB at some point this season because you cant take him off the field and leave Kessler out there tossing to Gordon and Coleman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of his points were not in the traditional method of throwing the football at QB, I think he had less than 30 yds pass. Had he thrown a TD pass then I think folks would be even more excited about him. 

They ran a wildcat style offense at times where he basically took a direct snap and ran. Now before everyone gets excited let's remember...

-Josh Gordon is the Alpha Dog at WR, Pryor will benefit from him on the field but he instantly is downgraded to the #2 target. 

-Coleman was tearing it up before the injury and he is a highly touted rookie that looks good. Pryor easily slides behind Coleman when he returns in 4-6. 

-Barnidge doesn't get a lot of targets but he is a good TE. I would be trying to trade for him if I were an NFL GM(Mike Tannenbaum) because his dip in production has nothing to do with him. He gets open and he catches a lot of crummy thrown footballs. 

-Dynasty owners should be trying to trade him if at all possible IMHO. In redraft/DFS he is probably money until Coleman returns. 
Certainly can understand all of these points.  And I also account for the fact that Miami has a horrendously bad secondary.  However, his WR line ALONE was pretty amazing when you consider that it was Cody Kessler throwing him the rock.  Add in the "slash" factor, and I am not so sure I would rush to trade him away unless I was blown away by an offer.  Yes, Gordon is coming back, and yes Coleman is coming back...but he may be a rising star in this league and I wouldnt want to sell too fast and miss that.  We already knew he was a freakishly elite athlete with sick measurables - now we saw him put all of that together to catch 8 passes for 144 yards from a rookie third string QB making his first career start on the road on a bad team.  If it were a rookie WR that had just put up those numbers in that situation, we would be drooling over him.  Pryor is comparable to a rookie in that the position is so new to him, but we look at it differently because he wasnt on the radar in our rookie drafts.  And again, I am not even taking into account the bonus points potential for rushing and passing - just looking at the receiving line in that situation.  Add to that not only the slash points, but also the strong preseason and decent first two games.  He has also put up good numbers playing 3 games with 3 different QBS.  Lot of good things to see here.  It would take a substantial offer for me to part with him right now. 

We haven't seen anything like this before.  A 6'4 uber athletic and speedy QB with the ability to run and take it to the house who has deep-ball boxing out WR ability who has made the transition to WR.  

In the offseason, the Browns had him lined up as the X-WR due to the impending suspension of Josh Gordon and the fact that Coleman just seems like a natural Z-WR.  However, the team moved Coleman to the X and switched Pryor to the Z, a move I wasn't in favor of because it just doesn't seem to fit with natural abilities.

In the preseason, JG came back and blew up and looks like he will be back as the undisputed X-WR when he is done serving his suspension.  However, Coleman blew up with Josh McCown at QB in the second game after looking a bit shaky in the first game.  Coleman breaks his hand and Pryor moves back to X AND he gets to dabble with some creative QB plays that fit his skill set.  POINT?  A 6'4 235 lb WR and former QB who is more of a natural fit at X and who brings extra skills being put in the 'perfect' position to utilize everything he brings to the table?

Hand meet glove.  The perfect storm.  JG and Coleman OUT, he gets moved back to X and Hue Jackson utilizes his QB skills.  

The obvious questions are, what happens when JG gets back and Coleman's hand heals and the QB situations settles?

Josh Gordon is the X when he comes back.  Coleman is a natural Z or slot IMHO.  

Hue Jackson can create an X-men scheme with JG and TP where one will line up on the LOS on one play and the other will be two yards off the LOS as the Z and they would switch depending on where they can best attack the coverage.  Coleman would line up in the slot.  TP motion to the backfield, at times, running some Wildcat or 'option' plays as a change of place but he had a legitimate breakout game albeit as and X-WR who also played QB.

Bottom line, TP will get his one way or another.  I doubt JG is in the 'long-term' plans of the club in the way they made Coleman as an X-WR, almost like they were counting on Josh to fail.  They also originally had TP at X before they felt comfortable enough with Coleman to switch him to Z.  

Hue had TP as his QB in Oakland and knows what he can do there.  He has been putting in these QB packages for Pryor all offseason.  No one saw that game coming but don't dismiss what he brings to the table or what Hue can get out of him.

We haven't seen anything like this before.  A 6'4 uber athletic and speedy QB with the ability to run and take it to the house who has deep-ball boxing out WR ability who has made the transition to WR.  

In the offseason, the Browns had him lined up as the X-WR due to the impending suspension of Josh Gordon and the fact that Coleman just seems like a natural Z-WR.  However, the team moved Coleman to the X and switched Pryor to the Z, a move I wasn't in favor of because it just doesn't seem to fit with natural abilities.

In the preseason, JG came back and blew up and looks like he will be back as the undisputed X-WR when he is done serving his suspension.  However, Coleman blew up with Josh McCown at QB in the second game after looking a bit shaky in the first game.  Coleman breaks his hand and Pryor moves back to X AND he gets to dabble with some creative QB plays that fit his skill set.  POINT?  A 6'4 235 lb WR and former QB who is more of a natural fit at X and who brings extra skills being put in the 'perfect' position to utilize everything he brings to the table?

Hand meet glove.  The perfect storm.  JG and Coleman OUT, he gets moved back to X and Hue Jackson utilizes his QB skills.  

The obvious questions are, what happens when JG gets back and Coleman's hand heals and the QB situations settles?

Josh Gordon is the X when he comes back.  Coleman is a natural Z or slot IMHO.  

Hue Jackson can create an X-men scheme with JG and TP where one will line up on the LOS on one play and the other will be two yards off the LOS as the Z and they would switch depending on where they can best attack the coverage.  Coleman would line up in the slot.  TP motion to the backfield, at times, running some Wildcat or 'option' plays as a change of place but he had a legitimate breakout game albeit as and X-WR who also played QB.

Bottom line, TP will get his one way or another.  I doubt JG is in the 'long-term' plans of the club in the way they made Coleman as an X-WR, almost like they were counting on Josh to fail.  They also originally had TP at X before they felt comfortable enough with Coleman to switch him to Z.  

Hue had TP as his QB in Oakland and knows what he can do there.  He has been putting in these QB packages for Pryor all offseason.  No one saw that game coming but don't dismiss what he brings to the table or what Hue can get out of him.

Bracie the biggest question is will this continue?  When McGown and JG comes back will Hue keep running wildcat packages?  I have to admit the upside is huge...even for a Cleveland  Browns team who I have no faith in.  Pryor in wildcat formation with JG running the X and nobody has mentioned he can also check down to Duke who is a homerun threat.  How is Pryor's deep ball accuracy?  The fact that the Browns gave the starting job to Griffin was because their offense played to his great deep ball throws.  In summary:

1.  Pryor's targets as a WR will regress some when JG and Coleman comes back.  From a receiver stand point he's a WR3/flex ros to me.  Let's not forget who is actually throwing the ball to him.  I have no faith in McGown.  He is a fringe WR2/3 if JG flames out and Coleman has a setback.

2.  From a fantasy standpoint Pryor is a WR2 if his deep ball accuracy is good and Hue continues to use wildcat formation ros.

3.  Pryor is a WR1 if he becomes the focal point of this offense which he won't with Duke, Crow, JG and Coleman coming back.  This scenario is highly unlikely and I think this is the tempting possible upside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short term I am starting him as a flex this week.  I hope its not point chasing but he has to be a huge part of the gameplan again with Gordon and Coleman still out and the Skins D is a very favorable matchup.

Long term for the season, I have the luxury of having him in a league with deep rosters so I can just see how it plays out when the other 2 WRs come back.

I wouldnt be so quick to try and sell in redraft or dynasty.  The market for him is likely lukewarm at best and there is still considerable upside here.  He's an UFA after the season and who knows what will happen.

the biggest question is will this continue?  When McCown and JG comes back will Hue keep running wildcat packages? 
The big caveat in all of this was Cody Kessler was inactive for the first game, let me emphasize that INACTIVE. He got zero reps with the ones in camp and preseason and was inactive the first game meaning he was nowhere near ready to play and the club had no intention of playing the kid but broken shoulders by both the starting and backup QBs in the first two games changed that so Hue had to get him ready to start in only four days.  

Hue had been putting in packages for TP at QB but it certainly wasn't a base set, they are only packages.  Kessler crapped the bed in the first couple of series and Hue shoved TP in at QB because the alternative was watching an implosion but Kessler settled down by halftime and, I don't think that TP didn't attempt any more passes after that.  

I wouldn't get 'overly excited' about TPs deep-ball as a passing threat, he was tried at QB by a couple of teams and failed and Hue had him twice at QB in Oakland and then in Cincinnati and well, he failed as a pure QB.  Hue is the one who originally had him switch to WR where TP didn't stick the first time at WR so he knows his limitations as a QB and how to use him at WR.  

I wouldn't overly complicate things.  

Gordon will be the X when he comes back.

Coleman has slot and Z abilities but what do they do with TP?

I think they will use him like I suggested because we all saw what he did when he lined up on the LOS as an X.  He overpowers the DB at the LOS and gets into his route.  He has limitations trying to work in space, I've gone into that above in a previous post.  Hue has been creative so he will keep the QB/Slash packages and with Kessler at QB this will continue but he isn't an NFL QB.  That has been tried a few times.  He is what he is and we are all learning what he can do and its exciting.

Harmon doesn't think the targets will last much longer and with Josh Gordon AND Corey Coleman coming back that is a logical take.

Also, note that this week he is on the road to face Josh Norman so he has his toughest matchup of the year, no Byron Maxwell or Xavien Howard this week to feast upon.  

NFL Fantasy Football ‏@NFLfantasy  1h1 hour ago
14 targets for Terrelle Pryor? @MattHarmon_BYB makes sense of it in the Week 3 targets report.
http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000709924/article/john-brown-and-terrelle-pryor-surprise-in-week-3-targets?campaign=tw-fa-sf37099731-sf37099731

Terrelle Pryor was absolutely dynamic on Sunday. Not only did he dominate the target share for Cleveland on a 36.8 percent clip while racking up 144 yards, he also ran four times for 21 yards and a touchdown and threw the ball five times, completing three for another 35 yards. The Dolphins defense isn't exactly the toughest test, but Pryor looked like the actualization of the long overused term "offensive weapon." Yet, the best news of all was that Pryor ran routes like a wide receiver and made a number of clean consistent catches.

The volume Pryor saw in this contest won't last much longer with Josh Gordon set to return in Week 5 and Corey Coleman still on track to return at some point. However, he's made a legitimate leap to the level of a starting NFL wide receiver and should be owned across all fantasy leagues. We have to wonder if the Browns continue using him as a runner and quarterback with Cody Kessler the starting signal-caller.

the worry i have with starting Pryor this week is Josh Norman getting matched up on him. Norman can take him out of the game.

Will try and grab him this week off the wire  mainly because ........ Fun. It'll just be fun to have him on your roster and see what happens. Most likely for Tyrell Williams which might not be the wisest move but still... Fun. 

For some reason I've always liked this player going back to when he was QB at Oakland. His story since then has been amazing and slightly inspirational. 

Would absolutely love it if he used his size and strength to torch Norman even just once this week. 

Josh Gordon will impact his production until he is gone. Josh Gordon is on a one year deal IMO. Especially if Pryor continues to develop.

saintfool said:
the worry i have with starting Pryor this week is Josh Norman getting matched up on him. Norman can take him out of the game.
Why do people even say this? Every top WR has had 100 yards or more against Washington it's a myth.

Why do people even say this? Every top WR has had 100 yards or more against Washington it's a myth.
That's because those wrs were brown and dez who both were not covered by Norman and Beckham who was. Pryor is not on their level.

Who cares about Norman, he hasnt been great and Pryor will be running and throwing the ball, too. This isnt last year, he is not in the zone he was with fellow great defensive players around him to cover for him when he does let down.

That's because those wrs were brown and dez who both were not covered by Norman and Beckham who was. Pryor is not on their level.
Norman is not at the level you think he is, either.

Norman, and the Redskins, are learning that the Panthers' dominant front 4 was a huge part of his success last season.

Norman is very good.  But he is more like Richard Sherman in that he's not really a true shut you down type of corner like Revis used to be, that Peterson is at times, and that really very few CBs in the league are any more.

The Skins still play a good amount of zone and Norman switched sides against Beckam last week but always stayed on the outside.

In a matchup of Hue Jackson and Joe Berry I'm going to put my money on Hue finding ways to get the ball into Pryor's hands and setting up opportunities for him to make plays.  The Skins struggle stopping the run and I like the chances of Pryor getting some rushing yards and finding the endzone.

I have a number of interesting options at flex but am starting Pryor this weekend with confidence.  I'll be watching every snap so it will be fun either way.

paid 20% this week to start over some injured receivers on my roster. sucks since i drafted him for a buck and then dropped him after week 1 due to short bench.

I'll happily spend 1/2 my FAAB on him if he keeps getting the volume he his. I'd guess it should continue until Coleman comes back. And I think Gordon coming back will only help Pryor since he'll be facing CB2's. Don't write this guy off as a fluke. 

Plus they could possibly take a real look at him at QB.  It's Cleveland.  What do they have to lose. 

Then Pryor becomes a top 5 WR playing QB in the WR slot. 

Just sayin...

From Week 3 Upgrades/Downgrades:

Wide Receiver Downgrades:

WR Terrelle Pryor, CLE - Pryor got a lot of targets in Week 2, and he even had a catch that could have set up a game-winning if he wasn't called for a questionable taunting penalty after the play. All that doesn't matter much now that Josh McCown is out and Cody Kessler will start for the Browns. When Josh Gordon comes back in two weeks, Pryor will take a backseat in what should be an anemic pass offense. He's droppable now in redraft leagues.

Good call, Sig.

If he does well this week and somehow sneaks in a passing TD to give him passing value, as high as anyones.

From Week 3 Upgrades/Downgrades:

Wide Receiver Downgrades:

WR Terrelle Pryor, CLE - Pryor got a lot of targets in Week 2, and he even had a catch that could have set up a game-winning if he wasn't called for a questionable taunting penalty after the play. All that doesn't matter much now that Josh McCown is out and Cody Kessler will start for the Browns. When Josh Gordon comes back in two weeks, Pryor will take a backseat in what should be an anemic pass offense. He's droppable now in redraft leagues.

Good call, Sig.
Because he could predict this. Quality post.

Because he could predict this. Quality post.
The post calling him out had nothing to do with Gordon's announcement, just his terrible timing in recommending Pryor be dropped right before he blew up. Look at the date of the post, it was before Gordon's announcement. So it had everything to do with his football analysis. 

This is why we pay FBG, for their analysis, right? So I have no problem calling them out when they make such an egregious mistake. 

Users who are viewing this thread