What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (1 Viewer)

I am skeptical considering its Tannehill, but him as the QB of the Titans might be a thing. 

I don't know if anyone watched the full game. I just watched some Game Pass of it. Tannehill looked phenomenal. He also looked really explosive rushing-wise. If they can keep churning out yards with Derrick Henry, this offense is underrated. And AJ Brown is my favorite WR to watch right now.

I am skeptical considering its Tannehill, but him as the QB of the Titans might be a thing. 

I don't know if anyone watched the full game. I just watched some Game Pass of it. Tannehill looked phenomenal. He also looked really explosive rushing-wise. If they can keep churning out yards with Derrick Henry, this offense is underrated. And AJ Brown is my favorite WR to watch right now.
As long as Tannehill is healthy, he's gonna money..... especially with Henry taking the pressure off and keeping the box stacked

Ryan Tannehill completed 17-of-22 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns while adding four carries for an additional five yards Sunday in Tennessee’s Week 13 win at Indianapolis.

Tannehill was dropped for six sacks, resulting in a loss of 44 yards. He also committed a fumble, one of two Tennessee turnovers on the afternoon. Tannehill came out scorching hot, completing each of his first five throws while putting Tennessee on the board with a 13-yard touchdown to Adam Humphries in the first quarter. Workhorse Derrick Henry (166 yards from scrimmage) remained the Titans' offensive focal point, but Tannehill made the plays he needed to Sunday, including a brilliantly-thrown 40-yard touchdown heave to Khalif Raymond with three minutes and change to go in the fourth quarter. Tannehill has almost singlehandedly brought the Titans' back to life, leading Tennessee to wins in five of his first six starts. Tennessee will look to continue its resurgence next week at Oakland in a game with possible playoff implications.
Doesn't matter who he is... he's real guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill is playing well.   For FF purposes, it would be nice if had a little more volume though.   
Yes, but he's been efficient.  I have him in a league where we get big points for long TD's.  He's been connecting downfield nicely.  His rushing ability, and willingness to do so, is a nice bonus as well.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Titans are "internally discussing" a new contract for Ryan Tannehill.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports previously reported Tannehill was a candidate for the franchise tag, which would carry a steep $27 million price tag, though Russini hears Tennessee would rather not resort to that. Tannehill has been a revelation for the surging Titans, who have won five of their last six with the former first-round pick under center. The 31-year-old has put Tennessee back in the playoff hunt and the Titans are ready to return the favor by committing to Tannehill long-term. Failed first-round pick Marcus Mariota will be leaving after the season.

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Dec 8, 2019, 10:19 AM ET

Any homers with news on how the field is today? Rumors of it being a wet mess. 

edit--just got my question answered--field has a tarp on it and it has been raining steadily for 24 hours. They hope it passes by kickoff. 

Ryan Tannehill completed 21-of-27 passes for 391 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Titans' Week 14 win over the Raiders.

As everyone expected, Tannehill has morphed into a Hall of Fame quarterback since taking the keys from Marcus Mariota in Week 7. The ex-Dolphin is now averaging 9.9 yards per attempt and is leading all quarterbacks in expected points added per attempt. One main difference between Tennessee Tannehill and Miami Tannehill has been confidence. This week, Tannehill was maneuvering in and out of the pocket and throwing the ball deeper downfield, including across field throws for touchdowns. Tannehill should continue his hot stretch in Week 15 with the burnable Texans coming to Nashville. He'll be on the QB1/2 radar then.

Who else has had this kind of career trajectory? Jim Plunkett? High pick who busted on a team that was constantly inept, got a new lease on life 6 or 7 years into his career when he went to a much better organization. 

Who else has had this kind of career trajectory? Jim Plunkett? High pick who busted on a team that was constantly inept, got a new lease on life 6 or 7 years into his career when he went to a much better organization. 
I was wondering the same thing. I picked him up in my dynasty for use in the playoffs, but I am wondering if I stumbled onto someone I might be using next year and beyond? Idk. Strange how well he has played this year.

Tannehill has been playing great but let's see him win a few games in past season before we crown him the next Plunkett.  

All I know is, I've invested heavily in him and his fellow Titans since he took the reigns, and it's paying off.

Jeremy Fowler‏Verified account @JFowlerESPN

Stage set for Titans to sign Ryan Tannehill to long-term extension this offseason. "They will have every opportunity to work it out if they determine he’s their long-term answer,” agent Pat Dye Jr. told me. But the QB is also prepared to test free agency if Titans don't stop him.

8:04 AM - 14 Dec 2019

------------------------------------

EDIT to add:

-------------------

Jeremy Fowler‏Verified account @JFowlerESPN

Interesting note on Tannehill: Titans wanted to sign him to a two-year deal in March, but Tannehill opted for one year, giving him flexibility whether Marcus Mariota remained the starter or not. That proved a deft play for Tannehill, who holds the league's highest passer rating.

8:06 AM - 14 Dec 2019

Ryan Tannehill completed 22-of-36 passes for 279 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Titans' 24-21, Week 15 loss to the Texans, adding three carries for 10 yards and an additional score.

It was Tannehill's most Dolphins day in a while, but he took advantage of increased volume to save his fantasy performance with his third three-score effort in four starts. His 36 pass attempts were his second most of the season, coming after the Titans fell behind 14-0 going into the half. Tannehill's internal clock was a beat too slow several times, but his "interception" was more of an Anthony Firkser fumble. Tannehill has a daunting Week 16 home date with the Saints before a Week 17 rematch with Houston.

Ryan Tannehill completed 17-of-27 passes for 272 yards and three touchdowns in the Titans' 38-28, Week 16 loss to the Saints.

He rushed just one time for eight yards and absorbed five sacks. The Titans really missed Derrick Henry's punishing style in the running game, but the offense still got some huge plays with 41- and 36-yard Tannehill passing scores to Jonnu Smith and Tajae Sharpe. Sharpe later caught a second -- and Tannehill's third -- touchdown. With the playoffs on the line, Tannehill will again be a strong fantasy play Week 17 at the Texans.
If he's the starter I'll be interested in seeing where he goes in drafts with AJ Brown, Corey Davis, and Adam Humphries/Tajae Sharpe as his WR core and Jonnu presumably the starting TE (is Walker under contract?). They're still a run-first team with Henry but they can do so much more the way Tannehill is playing. Of course, he could walk in free agency.

No comp is ever perfect but Rich Gannon had some mediocre years in MN, bounced to WA and KC where he was average and then went to Oakland in his age 34 season and blew it up big time.  He had four Pro Bowl years in Oakland.

Smells like Keenum 2.0 to me....but they do have some promising weapons....
Except Tannehill had been a starting QB for years whereas Keenum was a journeyman backup.  So it isn't quite the same trajectory.  If you mean that they are situation dependent, I agree. But as long as Tannehill stays in that favorable situation, unlike Keenum who went away from MN, then I don't think you can assume Tannehill will drop off.

Glad I picked up Tannehill for free early in the season. Bloom and Lammey opened me up to the possibility of him taking over for Mariota and doing well. Between him and AJ Brown, I'm becoming a bit of a Titans fan.

I thought he was perpetually underrated in Miami for so many years.  Because Miami.
No he wasn't.

He stunk to high heaven. Had awful pocket presence, could not throw the deep ball with any accuracy and just stunk. He had a couple of decent years...but nothing to brag about. I am strictly talking football here. Not FF.

Post season will show if he is for real or not. Because....QB's who win and flourish in the post season are thought of higher.

It has been a nice story this season no doubt. But the post season is where the reality will show whether it was a change of scenery or same old same old with Tanny getting buried under pressure. The Patriots are a great test defensively. If they slow down Henry and the running game we will really see what kind of QB Tannehill is now.

I expect his old MO to show up if they can't run the ball. He is not the kind of guy who can put a team on his back like the greats in the game.

If I am wrong....I will come here and own up to it. But I expect the Patriots defense to smother the Titans.

I hate the Patriots so if they lose.....I would be happy. But my confidence in Tannehill beating the Patriots in the post season in New England is very low. It will take a great game from him to do it if Henry is contained. 

No he wasn't.

He stunk to high heaven. Had awful pocket presence, could not throw the deep ball with any accuracy and just stunk. He had a couple of decent years...but nothing to brag about. I am strictly talking football here. Not FF.

Post season will show if he is for real or not. Because....QB's who win and flourish in the post season are thought of higher.

It has been a nice story this season no doubt. But the post season is where the reality will show whether it was a change of scenery or same old same old with Tanny getting buried under pressure. The Patriots are a great test defensively. If they slow down Henry and the running game we will really see what kind of QB Tannehill is now.

I expect his old MO to show up if they can't run the ball. He is not the kind of guy who can put a team on his back like the greats in the game.

If I am wrong....I will come here and own up to it. But I expect the Patriots defense to smother the Titans.

I hate the Patriots so if they lose.....I would be happy. But my confidence in Tannehill beating the Patriots in the post season in New England is very low. It will take a great game from him to do it if Henry is contained. 
Never said he was a stud.

I always thought he was solid while injuries and Miami held him back a couple seasons.

Simply being solid is a HUGE upgrade from Mariota.

Never said he was a stud.

I always thought he was solid while injuries and Miami held him back a couple seasons.

Simply being solid is a HUGE upgrade from Mariota.
He was decent in Miami for a couple of seasons. In fact after his rookie year I was really encouraged. Then they neutered his mobility. It was crazy. Plus he went through so many coordinators/coaches. So yeah this could be a late career/late bloomer scenario.

Tanny is a tough SOB. I always thought he was a gamer in that regard. He took so many hits and sacks with us down here. I would love to see him beat the Patriots this weekend. But I have reservations because of such a long sample size with Miami.

Will be interesting to watch. 

The post season will be the true test for the Titans and if Tanny is the guy for the longer term. Is he a Super Bowl caliber QB? I say no. 

The Brady to the Titans rumor was brought up again this week. To clarify, it was a hmm maybe thing, never a rock solid prospect, but it won't die and go away.

Tannehill turns it over too much but, he's been fantastic. The Titans have made 10k mistakes at QB. They had better tag Tannehill and idk re Brady. If something happens if a crazy miracle happens, well then trade Tannehill or for the first time in seven years, actually spend their whole cap to have both rather than have 20-25 mil available. 

I got this nervousness that this weak Brady rumor is going to leave them with "no one" in 2020, it better not

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans plan to bring Ryan Tannehill back in 2020.

We passed along something similar last month. Tannehill came off the bench to lead Tennessee to the playoffs, winning seven of his 10 starts. He'll be back with the Titans next season, either on an extension or under the franchise tag. Franchising Tannehill would come with a heavy $27 million salary.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 4, 2020, 12:33 PM ET

The Brady to the Titans rumor was brought up again this week. To clarify, it was a hmm maybe thing, never a rock solid prospect, but it won't die and go away.

Tannehill turns it over too much but, he's been fantastic. The Titans have made 10k mistakes at QB. They had better tag Tannehill and idk re Brady. If something happens if a crazy miracle happens, well then trade Tannehill or for the first time in seven years, actually spend their whole cap to have both rather than have 20-25 mil available. 

I got this nervousness that this weak Brady rumor is going to leave them with "no one" in 2020, it better not
They need to lock Tanny up. He’s still relatively young, and he’s played fantastic in this system. Brady is a shell of himself at this point. No thanks. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
Numbers were ugly, but he was under duress a lot (they threw it too much in the second half), and he had the big TD throw on the first drive and then the 3rd down completion near the end that allowed them to run out most of the clock, so his night wasn't quite as awful as the stat sheet shows. 

No he wasn't.

Threw for less than 100 yards? And they won? Pats were really DOA apparently. 

What QB has thrown that bad and won in Foxsboro in January? 

Fortunately for Tannehill, Henry is just so hard to stop behind that offensive line.  Imagine if the Titans had another back to grind these games out.

Users who are viewing this thread