What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain said:
Threw for less than 100 yards? And they won? Pats were really DOA apparently. 

What QB has thrown that bad and won in Foxsboro in January? 
It was ugly. But he made two great throws. And it was enough. He fumbled like he normally does when he gets a backside sack (he is awful at sensing pressure), and threw a pick.

On to Baltimore. 

Ryan Tannehill completed 7-of-14 passes for 88 yards and two touchdowns, adding six carries for 13 yards and another score on the ground in Tennessee's Divisional Round upset over the Ravens.

Tannehill became the first player to throw for two scores and rush for another in a playoff game since Cam Newton did so in the 2015 NFC Championship. The free-agent-to-be attempted fewer than 16 passes and threw for less than 90 yards for the second straight game but remained uber efficient on his limited tries, finding Jonnu Smith for a 12-yard touchdown in the first quarter, hitting Kalif Raymond for a 45-yard bomb over the top of Baltimore's secondary, and pushing Tennessee's lead to 28-6 in the second half with a one-yard keeper from shotgun. He'll look to keep it going in either Arrowhead or NRG Stadium for the AFC Championship game next week.

Jan 11, 2020, 11:48 PM ET

He didn't throw for volume but those two TD passes were outstanding and his running ability is a bonus.  

Like I've said before, whatever the bench did for him, a team paying your salary to play elsewhere and all that...he is so much more mature than his Miami days. It did him so much good.

He has barely thrown in the playoffs but even with limited opportunity, he has made some huge plays. I don't in anyway think that the Miami QB could have pulled these two wins off. 

He totally gets it. He doesn't try to do too much. He knows he can run but uses it wisely. He's placing it where only his guy can catch it. There's so much that I am consistently impressed with.

I've had several exchanges with Dolphins fans and they say something similar. 

If he stayed, he probably would have thrown INTs one game and been benched for Fitzmagic. He had no chance of starting for several months and he decided to take everything in and make himself better. It's fantastic, kudos to him.

I doubt it would have gone so well if he started the year for the Titans too. He needed that time and it did him so much good.

I have tried to not say a whole lot about Tannehill because as a Phinsfan how on god's green earth can I be objective but I am going to actually defend Tannehill and think his 2 playoff performances have been a lot better than some are thinking. 

B2B Under 100 yards passing but he also watched his RB go for about 200 yds and was almost unstoppable by the Patriots and the Ravens who usually are thought to have better defenses than the team they are facing this coming weekend. 

-Let's go back and look at the tape when he took over for Mariota and while he wasn't "Fire" coming off the bench, he stabilized things and as the stats point to, he did a lot more than hand the ball off many weeks but let's take a peek. 

As an aside, I'd love to show you THill is hot garbage because I root for Miami and no way could a player we trade or cut be any good or make it on another team, you would agree with me, right? And that's my point. It's in my best interest to show Tannehill being terrible but the fact is he looked pretty good at times here and the franchise is totally dysfunctional or has been ever since he was drafted in 2012 

-In 10 games that he started he racked up an avg of about 260 yds pass, 2+ TD pass, and only 1 Interception per 50 pass attempts, he ran in another 4 Touchdowns and although his rushing yards do not jump off the page, it seems he can take off when needed...if the receiver is 10-15 yards down the field and he needs about 5 and there isn't much in front of him then yeah he can take off and he is making GOOD decisions right now. That's not a game manager and he looks light years better than Trent Dilfer ever did, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, and all I'm saying is he doesn't have to be a Hall of Fame level QB in order to win with all this talent around him. 

He has an amazing running game to lean on, decent options at WR especially the rookie, and when he has been asked to put the ball in the end zone and make a play, usually early in these games he has delivered and that has set defenses back on their heels down 10-14 and that's music to the ears of Vrabel and the coaching staff who then start bludgeoning teams with Derrick Henry until they tap out. 

I believe Tannehill will need to make plays in this game. Ironically he actually played the Chiefs this year at home and the Titans won 35-32 with less than 200 yds passing but 2 TD passes to boot and somehow that has to help their confidence level and especially him. THill cannot control Mahomes but he can make a mental push that come hell or highwater his team has to score 35 again in order to win, perhaps even more so that cannot all come from Derrick Henry. He knows he will likely need to throw the ball and make some real plays in the AFCC in order to win. 

-2 Years ago a team named the Jacksonville Jaguars walked into Gillette Stadium and almost won a game vs the New England Patriots 24-20...Titans have a better running game and a better QB IMHO and the Chiefs defense doesn't seem to be as good as the ones the Patriots won 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls with...that's about as good as I can find for a compelling reason that Tannehill can walk in and win on Sunday. It is the Cheifs and as much I would like to see Mahomes vs Rodgers for the story and hope of a fantastic shootout, the Chiefs are notorious for not making the Super Bowl, I feel they were totally robbed last year vs the Patriots and feel they are on a mission to get to a Super Bowl they should have played in last year...this team is pretty darn good but they are missing one big person from last season, people forget about Hunt and it could bite them on Sunday. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Let's go back and look at the tape when he took over for Mariota and while he wasn't "Fire" coming off the bench, he stabilized things and as the stats point to, he did a lot more than hand the ball off many weeks but let's take a peek. 
The Titans instilled a FB. He was one that insisted constantly looking/waiting for Davis was bad for the offense and by the time he took over, they conceded. AJ Brown, thus, got way more chances. Rookie G Davis finally got it and was a turnstyle before. About this time, Humphries was finally sprinkled in as the guy they signed from Tampa. Pathetically he was a blocker before, from the slot guided toward the DE. I can go on and on....Tannehill's biggest contribution was in meeting rooms and helping to stablize and direct the offense there. 

The Titans blocked a FG and he quickly led them to a game winner against the Chiefs. 

I like the bulk of your post, just snipping because the guy has been mostly about restoring order to a talented misguided group. 

Ministry of Pain said:
I have tried to not say a whole lot about Tannehill because as a Phinsfan how on god's green earth can I be objective but I am going to actually defend Tannehill and think his 2 playoff performances have been a lot better than some are thinking. 
I find the Titans threads fascinating.

Tannehill has been THE MAN this season. Especially in the playoffs.

This team only ever needed a competent passing QB, and he is that.  He has made the plays he has been asked to make.  BUT BUT 80 YARDS.. stop.  He KILLED those 80 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two almost INTs today. He had some fumbles the team recovered and several almost INTs this year.  It makes me a little nervous for the Miami guy but all in all I'm looking forward and excited for him to be the Titans QB next year

What I saw today was a competent guy who made some good decisions and can hit open guys, but he’s not a guy that can win you games.  I don’t see him hitting tight windows and making big plays when the box is not stacked to stop Henry.  He’s a tweener.  Better than a backup but not a guy you love as your primary option.  IMHO

Ryan Tannehill completed 21-of-31 passes for 209 yards and two touchdowns in Tennessee's AFC Championship loss to the Chiefs.

With only one year left on his contract, Miami gifted 31-year-old Tannehill to Tennessee for pennies back in March. It took the Titans moving to 2-4 with their backs against the wall in mid-October, but those fourth- and seventh-round selections GM Jon Robinson casually handed over eventually morphed into the league’s third-ranked offense in points (30.4) and yards per game (406.2) from the moment Tannehill took over for Marcus Mariota in Week 7. The free-agent-to-be also joined Drew Brees (2018) and Steve Young (1994) in becoming just the third quarterback in the last three decades to finish the year with both a completion percentage and red zone completion percentage over 70 percent. With OC Arthur Smith set to return, expect the organization to bring back Tannehill with a lofty extension or, at the very least, the franchise tag after he led the league in passing yards (1,157) and passer rating (144.4) from play-action during his 7-3 run to close the regular season.

Jan 19, 2020, 8:17 PM ET

What I saw today was a competent guy who made some good decisions and can hit open guys, but he’s not a guy that can win you games.  I don’t see him hitting tight windows and making big plays when the box is not stacked to stop Henry.  He’s a tweener.  Better than a backup but not a guy you love as your primary option.  IMHO
That was his worst game as a Titan though. Generally speaking, when a team loses a playoff game that's often the case for a lot of players and a defense winds up scoring big FF points too.

It was the least the Titans used a FB since he took over. There were many instances that were beginning of the year dopiness and it was infuriating to watch but then Smith would call several good plays and...maybe they just thought they'd dust off some old ones...but back to the junk offense and...ugh. I saw WRs lined up at the LOS next to the TE and blocking inside behind each G. That was a Robiske play. They looked like high school split ends and oh my was it ugly. On two Davis passes, AJ isn't even looked at and wide open. Davis was taking a bit long to get open (not as bad as earlier in the year but a bit long) and then finally did. Why'd they dust off the stare at Davis because he's our fifth pick plays? Rookie Davis had been stout at G for weeks but was back to his questionable blocks and allowing sacks. Conk had been playing at a very high level but he allowed a sack or two and had a penalty or two and got pushed into the dirt 3 or 4 times. There were so many instances where everything I was saying came true- it might not have been Mariota. Mariota's last game was putrid, I mean the rest. Tannehill has been slippery, but he couldn't get away yesterday, he even tripped over his own feet to cause one sack. There hasn't been a unit in this decade that relied on the FB as much as they have for like four years now- whenever they get rid of one or play him far less, the results stink. When the line stinks, he buys the QB a half second or more. He frees up a hole for Henry when there isn't really one. Almost always, he is the spark for the fiery line to get their tails moving and their blocking improves.

When they did use a FB, Tannehill was (better than Mariota) sharp. He hit AJ, Jonnu, tough third downs to Humphries despite double coverage, and ultimately a nice pass to Firkser that he went up and got.

Vrabel, and every Titans coach for some darn reason, has always been susceptible to having this "oh that's cute" set of circumstances that irritates the fans. There was a lot of that. There was a lot of players not playing their best and not on the staff.

What it comes down to is the fool's errand of expecting anyone to be awesome every day. Tannehill and Smith's worst days are better than Mariota's and Robiske's. Their best days are better than most in the league.

Brown and Davis flashed for a large chunk of the season. Brown could possibly be the type of WR that can do it all himself on a Tannehill bad day. Smith could watch the tape from this year and (which is normal) get rid of bad plays so we never see them again. Tannehill had an awful offseason last year and he reinvented himself. What's it gonna be like this year with far less things to improve upon? 

Their bad 2-4 start, yesterday....there was a ton of good things in-between there. Let's not act like Tom Brady and Joe Montana were undefeated and perfect every year. I saw the Giants make both of them look silly.

Your crazy. Guy made himself a ton of money and is probably looking at 20-30mil a year. He had 22Td/6 INT for half a year. He has a strong arm, can move, and makes good decisions. 

his D lost the game vs KC. 

Unless your starter is Mariota.

Your crazy. Guy made himself a ton of money and is probably looking at 20-30mil a year. He had 22Td/6 INT for half a year. He has a strong arm, can move, and makes good decisions. 

If an owner gives Tannehill 30MM a year then they are incredibly crazy. 

If he get's that type of money......good for him. 20MM I can easily see. He was being paid almost 17MM a year by the Dolphins. But 30? God no man. You are over valuing what he brings to the table.

It's semantics, but Mahomes won that game. The D could have done better, especially that one scramble touchdown, but it's not like they fell apart against a weak offense

Nick Foles.....Case Keenum......Ryan Tannehill.....what do they have in common....

long time average....journeyman backup types.....who have a nice little stretch...and somebody overpays....and then they don't live up to it.....and that team that felt they needed them to begin with has wasted time and is right back to where they started looking for another guy.....

Tannehill came in and did exactly what he was supposed to do......and even a little better.....but do you really want to make a pricey long term commitment to this guy....or would you like to see if he can keep it up.....and see if he can do it another year on the cheap before signing him to a big deal.....I know what JAC and DEN would tell you....

Nick Foles.....Case Keenum......Ryan Tannehill.....what do they have in common....

long time average....journeyman backup types.....who have a nice little stretch...and somebody overpays....and then they don't live up to it.....and that team that felt they needed them to begin with has wasted time and is right back to where they started looking for another guy.....

Tannehill came in and did exactly what he was supposed to do......and even a little better.....but do you really want to make a pricey long term commitment to this guy....or would you like to see if he can keep it up.....and see if he can do it another year on the cheap before signing him to a big deal.....I know what JAC and DEN would tell you....
IMO it's a pretty big difference when you sign the guy you have vs going after the QB who succeeded on a different team for a short time. 

I'll always remember Scott Mitchell. 

But we know Tanny was successful in Nashville. At least for half a season. 

That said, if equal, I'd rather pay Brees or cam the big money. 

I was blown away by how similar the following two sets of stat lines were:

Player A: 10 starts, 7-3 record, 201/286/2,742, 9.6 YPA, 10.2 AY/A, 8.52 ANY/A, 9.8% sack rate

Player B: 10 starts, 8-2 record, 203/317/2,891, 9.1 YPA, 10.5 AY/A, 9.18 ANY/A, 8.1% sack rate

I left out the TD/INT numbers because they'd be a dead giveaway - but even so it's probably obvious that A is Tannehill's 2019 and B is Nick Foles' 2013 (mouse over). I don't know how anyone at any level of an NFL organization couldn't look at that, look at what followed immediately afterwards, and not hear deafening klaxon-like alarms at the idea of handing Tannehill a long-term deal this offseason.

Now, you want to use the franchise tag and slightly overpay the guy for a year in order to accumulate a reasonable sample size? Have at it. But a multi-year deal at that type of pay scale strikes me as utterly bananas.

I was blown away by how similar the following two sets of stat lines were:

Player A: 10 starts, 7-3 record, 201/286/2,742, 9.6 YPA, 10.2 AY/A, 8.52 ANY/A, 9.8% sack rate

Player B: 10 starts, 8-2 record, 203/317/2,891, 9.1 YPA, 10.5 AY/A, 9.18 ANY/A, 8.1% sack rate

I left out the TD/INT numbers because they'd be a dead giveaway - but even so it's probably obvious that A is Tannehill's 2019 and B is Nick Foles' 2013 (mouse over). I don't know how anyone at any level of an NFL organization couldn't look at that, look at what followed immediately afterwards, and not hear deafening klaxon-like alarms at the idea of handing Tannehill a long-term deal this offseason.

Now, you want to use the franchise tag and slightly overpay the guy for a year in order to accumulate a reasonable sample size? Have at it. But a multi-year deal at that type of pay scale strikes me as utterly bananas.
:goodposting:

and pay henry?  he is more important to the team.
Paying Henry is almost besides the point and I hope they get a deal done soon.  

It might be difficult to pull off, but a healthy cam lined up with Henry could be a whole lot of fun.  Rumors have the chargers trading for him, which probably is easier to pull off. 

So there are multiple reports now (I think it started with PK, unsure) that the Titans will let Tannehill test free agency.

When we discussed how they had so many free agents, the cost of Henry and Logan Ryan and a RT, how Henry makes the QB's job easier, how he only has a half year of elite status...so many times I thought it would be rational to consider other options BUT now....now it's this large fear that GM JRob better know what he's doing here. The Titans literally have no QBs.

Peyton (I haven't played in years) Manning's 19 mil per contract being discussed is the oddest thing I've seen in years. It's like the owners are employing some WWII propaganda to downgrade the market. 

That if Marcus is viewed as a starter, he hurts the market for Tannehill....yeah maybe, doubtful, that makes my head hurt and THIS is what I'm used to. People discussing these 'maybe a starter maybe a backup' types impacting the market. I don't think they do. I think it's garbage put out each year.

The CBA not agreed upon and NFL not changing dates absolutely impacts the market. The cap total will change.

The biggest thing that is always overlooked and always what matters most- how many teams (openly!) need a starting QB and how many (draft plus surebet free agent starters) are available?

There are scenarios involving Tannehill to the Patriots.

It would be a real kick in the nuts if he lands on that team and actually performs similar to what he did in Tennessee. Coach BB has an index card filled with Tannehill's flaws but I bet he could share some of it and help RT perhaps be the guy who can takeover for at least a couple years until New England can find a better option. He can make any throw that Brady makes, I shake my head as a Phinsfan but I can totally see it happening and he likely would sign in New England for $25M/yr if I were to guess, that's reasonable if you are the Patriots, a short 3 year deal that can be undone by Year 2, always can renegotiate after the CBA kicks in, Tannehill would be ready to pony up again and he would still be 34 years old, likely could get a lot more money at that point. 

But some team is probably willing to sign him for a 2 yr/$65 deal, chance to prove it one more season and then maybe get a 4-5 year deal with tons more guaranteed  money...maybe he is due that right now. Is there a team that will ink him for say 5yr-$150Million? Indy might be real interested even if they are tight on payroll. 

He had an incredible year and proved more in 2019 than a lot of QBs on other teams have flashed. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans are "focused" on re-signing Ryan Tannehill long-term.

Dot connectors have linked Tom Brady to the Titans in recent weeks, but Rapoport suggests the Titans have made Tannehill their focus with time ticking down before free agency kicks off. Tannehill's long-term deal could be announced prior to next week's tampering window, which would knock off one potential landing spot for Brady. If a Tannehill deal ultimately gets done shortly, Tennessee's attention will turn to Derrick Henry, who is seeking an Ezekiel Elliott-like contract.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 10, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

That if Marcus is viewed as a starter, he hurts the market for Tannehill....yeah maybe, doubtful, that makes my head hurt and THIS is what I'm used to. People discussing these 'maybe a starter maybe a backup' types impacting the market. I don't think they do. I think it's garbage put out each year.
It is garbage.

Nobody thinks Mariota is a starter.  And if they think Mariota is a starter, they must now think Tannehill is Joe Montana.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans are "focused" on re-signing Ryan Tannehill long-term.

Dot connectors have linked Tom Brady to the Titans in recent weeks, but Rapoport suggests the Titans have made Tannehill their focus with time ticking down before free agency kicks off. Tannehill's long-term deal could be announced prior to next week's tampering window, which would knock off one potential landing spot for Brady. If a Tannehill deal ultimately gets done shortly, Tennessee's attention will turn to Derrick Henry, who is seeking an Ezekiel Elliott-like contract.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 10, 2020, 7:24 PM ET
He has a lot of contacts around the league and does a great job, however, he doesn't get but one or two Titans stories per year and it usually feels like they went out of their way to find him. It doesn't today, but we'll see in a couple weeks.

The Titans have long said that Henry was the priority and QB is second. This would be a change.

Tannehill switched to Henry's agent this offseason.  Maybe it has to do with dealing with one agent and two players? We'll see

Titans signed QB Ryan Tannehill to a four-year, $118 million contract.

Per ESPN's Jeff Darlington, the deal includes a whopping $62 million guaranteed. It's a princely sum for a soon-to-be 32-year-old who entered last season as a backup. Both his 2020 and 2021 salaries are fully guaranteed. It means Tennessee is off the board as a potential Tom Brady landing spot and that Derrick Henry will be franchise tagged. Tannehill sparked the Titans to a 7-3 finish last season before a surprise AFC Championship Game run, taking advantage of relentless pop-a-shot play-action passing. Tannehill and the Titans made an adjustment on his Dolphins years, now he must adjust to the league's coming adjustment. He will have an extremely difficult time matching last year's otherworldly numbers.

SOURCE: Jeff Darlington on Twitter

Mar 15, 2020, 2:20 PM ET

That's insane how much guaranteed he got. He's going to be an interesting pick in redraft considering how his much success was tied to Henry going full Zangief. He's going to have to show he can win games regardless of Henry, and he has more than enough weapons to do so (AJ Brown, Davis, Jonnu Smith).

But seriously, this makes the Foles contract look good.

I can remember when Jamarcus Russell's 6 year 68 Million dollar rookie contract seemed horrible. I like Tannehill and would have signed him but the amount of guaranteed money is absurd for a guy who had one good year.

Ryan Tannehill: Fantasy Outlook 2020

Excerpt:

Fantasy Outlook

Tannehill’s 7.7 percent touchdown rate from last season is bound to come down. We have seen only 50 such seasons ever among players with 200-plus passing attempts. Among active QBs, only Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Drew Brees have cracked 7.0 percent twice; only Rodgers has done it in consecutive seasons. Tannehill remains in a run-heavy offense that added little, but a developing A.J. Brown leads the pass catchers.

Size: 6'4", 217
Bye Week: 7

Quick Take

Tannehill offers helpful rushing, but we’d bet on him falling outside the fantasy top 12 after a dream season taking over for Marcus Mariota.

Season Projections for 2020

3,590 passing yards, 26 passing TDs, 12 INTs, 246 rushing yards, 2 rushing TDs

He is a very good QB and the doubters in this thread are going to continue to look foolish.

Can't believe that seeing the previously written off Parker and Gase ball out free of Gase isn't enough to convince people what the problem was in Miami

They were an awful, dysfunctional organization: he had Joe Philbin, the Incognito-Martin incident, the Landry contract issue, Parker not doing s***, Leonte Carroo busting, big free agent acquisition Jordan Cameron also busting and Gase hating Kenyan Drake--the only constant through it all being horrendous OL play. And still there were glimpses of his potential in Miami

Then he comes to Tennessee with a talented team and quality coaching/organization but a really sub par group of skill position players (overall) and posts a TOP 5 QB season, and unleashes Derrick Henry and AJ Brown

Yes, he was helped by Henry, but don't act like Henry was bowling over the Ravens and Pats with that bum Marcus Mariota at QB

With Jurrell Casey gone and Dean Pees retired, I expect a little regression from the Titans defense and thus more reliance on Tannehill, and he is going to light it up just like he did last year--more than making up for his efficiency likely falling a bit.

For the whole AFC championship until maybe mid to late 4th quarter I was nervous because of how methodically the Titans were able to operate. Their downfall IMO was not trusting him when it was clear our defense was selling out to stop Henry (and succeeding)

Having seen them both as a Chiefs fan: he is clearly a better QB than Jimmy G (despite having a worse weapons and not having Kyle Shanahan), and gets much more flak for his contract only because he had the misfortune of being selected to play with Joe Philbin and Adam Gase on the Dolphins instead of Bill Bellichick and Kyle Shanahan on the Patriots and 49ers

Always thought the Titans were a QB away from being legit in the Mariota years (yes I know Mariota fluked his way to beating us one time) and last year confirmed it

In redraft keep up the doubt and let me get him as my QB2 to pair with a guy like Daniel Jones

In dynasty his outlook is even better in a year when the Titans spend 1st or 2nd round capital to get a WR2 opposite AJB with Davis likely leaving

Well worth his contract

Users who are viewing this thread