What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DH's 2012 Christmas buying guide *update for 2014 post 176* (1 Viewer)

Deranged Hermit

Not cool & Pissed
Well, last year's thread was a success, so I thought I'd throw on out this year. It's funny, many of the things I put on here duplicates from last year. That's very odd in the toy industry.
Anyway, I work part time at Toys r Us during the Christmas season, so I see toys that are usually going to be the 'hot' thing during the season before everyone else knows they'll be 'hot. Here's this year's list:

Boys:

1. Wii U. If you can find a place that you can still pre-order this, stop reading and do it RIGHT NOW. They come out mid-November and you'll have to sell your first born to get one in December.
2. Skylanders. Like Last year, this will be the number one toy (not system). The new Giants set just released this past Sunday and we had 50 people lined up outside waiting to get in. When buying, the ones with the orange backing is new, blue backing is old. If you already have the old 'portal', you don't need a new one, but I'd get it anyway. With the old portal, you can still use two small figs on it but, if you play a giant, he's the only fig you'll be able to use. If you have the new portal you can use one giant and one regular fig. If your kids are anything like mine, they like to play two player games, so the old portal will limit that.
3. Hot Wheels Terrain Twister. I would have killed for a toy like this when I was little. The jist of it is that it's a remote control car with kind of a cork screw treads that allows it to ride of pretty much any terrain. We had a demo and I wanted one after it was done.
4. Ninjago Lego sets. I missed these on the list last year but not this year. The newer sets will be hard to find during Christmas since the cartoon on Cartoon Network is so popular. Look for the buy one-get one half off next month to get more bang for the buck.
5. The last one I kind of struggled with, so I'll go with a two-way tie: Beyblade Beywheels and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Yeah, TMNT. Go figure, right? Anyway, there's a new cartoon on Nick that's popular so these things are hot again, especially the Sewer Lair playset. As for BeyWheels, they're the newest beyblade that was so popular last year. The big thing for them will be the 'Destroyer Dome'. Basically it's a giant battle dome that's a huge step up from the old molded plastic ones of last year.

Girls:
1. Furby. Yup, what's old is new again. They come in a bunch of different colors and are as annoying as the old school ones.
2. LaLaLoopsy. Another transplant from last year. Again, watch which ones you get as the older ones are in much less demand.
3. Monster High. Yet another transplant from last year. The people who are making these are genius, plain and simple. Also, as a stocking stuffer, don't forget to pick the DVD movie.
4. 1 Direction dolls. It's simply amazing how these dolls are selling. I had never heard of them, but they are flying off the shelf even now.
5. Again, I'm having trouble with the last one so I'll cop-out again and call it a three way tie between: Winx, Hairmonies and Novi Stars dolls . I'm less confident about Novi Stars, but Nick is going in to high gear schilling them, so I wouldn't want to leave them off.

Little critters:
1. Doc McStuffins. HUGE right now. We can't keep the Doc doll in stock now, so I can't imagine what will happen a month from now.
2. Switch and go Dinosaurs. Another hot toy now so it'll be very hard to find later. They don't fly out of the store like Doc, but they don't last long on the shelf either. This product is by V-Tech so it might be with that stuff instead of the regular kids toy aisle.
3. Bouncing Tigger. Pretty cool toy. Tiger has a spring tail and jumps around while singing. IMO, this is a much better toy than the latest Elmo, but I'm sure he'll be popular too.
4. Leap Pad Explorer/Tabeo Tablet. Yes, kids tablets are starting to become all the rage. Yeah, they are very weak, watered down tablets, but they work great for playing apps like most kids like to do. The Tabeo is great for setting up parental controls for internet use too (Leap Pad doesn't have wifi).
5. LOL Elmo. This year's Elmo doll. Don't think an explaination is necessary here.

Anyway, that's it for this year's installment. As usual, I'll check in to help answer questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 3yr old plays games on my iPad. Im assuming its not worth it to by that Tabeo Tablet, right?
I guess it depends on how much you want to use your ipad. Is the kid using it when you want to a lot? The Tabeo is made to withstand a minor beating too, where as the ipad is not.I dunno, 150 bones isn't a lot when you consider the alternative: him possibly dropping your ipad on the kitchen floor and breaking it. Plus the parental controls will be on as well which is nice peace of mind.

My 2 year old is the same. Knows how to take pictures using the iPhone and how to look at them. Knows how to find and play the games like angry birds. Knows how to work YouTube (but needs my help finding the wiggles). It's nuts. I didn't even have email til I was 21

Wow some AWFUL reviews for the Tabeohttp://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13265885#showReviews
Wow, I've talked to a few people in the store and, except for the battery life, have only heard positive things. Glad I'll be gone until the summer after Christmas is over.

If we were to buy any of these on the Toys R Us Website would we get them before Christmas, or do you have to get them in the store? :confused:

If we were to buy any of these on the Toys R Us Website would we get them before Christmas, or do you have to get them in the store? :confused:
I would say most should be available on the website currently. The Doc McStuffins and Tabeo should be the only exceptions (and, obviously, the Wii U).

Really appreciate the list. I am keeping my kid as lo tech as possible for as long as I'm able.

In on dinos and tigger.

WHat is the Wii U? I watched the intro video and still have no idea. Is it just the new Nintendo console?

WHat is the Wii U? I watched the intro video and still have no idea. Is it just the new Nintendo console?
Yes. I'm not so sure it will be a hot seller, but I could be wrong. I know a lot of people who never use their Wii system and I doubt they'll be rushing to buy another.

'Fat Nick said:
Got one of these for adults? I'm horrible with gifts for the wife.
Anything in a Tiffany box. Seriously, buy some cheap(ish) keychain, get the box, and hit the Macy's jewelry section during a big sale and put in whatever she likes. I think that robin egg blue (yeah, I had to google the color) is the ultimate aphrodisiac to a woman. Doesn't matter what's inside, it's the blue that's been hardwired into their systems. Or, splurge on the actual thing, leave the gift receipt in the box and you'll be allowed to buy nothing else.

Yes. I'm not so sure it will be a hot seller, but I could be wrong. I know a lot of people who never use their Wii system and I doubt they'll be rushing to buy another.
We had 50 presells we were allowed to sell, no more. Those 50 sold out the next morning. I got one in case someone in the family wanted to get it, but otherwise I couldn't care less. The people I know that have a Wii only use it to stream Netflix. I traded ours in when Gamestop was giving $100 in trade. Hell, they are selling for 100 brand new.

'GroveDiesel said:
I can't believe how expensive Legos have become. It's insane.
:goodposting: My kids love the Ninjago cartoon and I'm sure to be dropping some coin on these sets for Christmas. Star Wars Lego is real popular in my house, too.

Apparently, Wii U pre-orders are already sold out everywhere, but i agree that it's not gonna be as hot as the original Wii.

We got a display for this last night. I know what I'm getting my 8 year old now. That thing was awesome, I tried it out and it handled my weight (190 pounds) just fine so he'll be able to ride it for a while.

Got one of these for adults? I'm horrible with gifts for the wife.
Anything in a Tiffany box. Seriously, buy some cheap(ish) keychain, get the box, and hit the Macy's jewelry section during a big sale and put in whatever she likes. I think that robin egg blue (yeah, I had to google the color) is the ultimate aphrodisiac to a woman. Doesn't matter what's inside, it's the blue that's been hardwired into their systems. Or, splurge on the actual thing, leave the gift receipt in the box and you'll be allowed to buy nothing else.
I wish this would work. My wife basically has the Tiffany's catalog memorized at this point. No way I could slip something by her. I got her engagement ring there a few years ago, so Tiffany's is sort of my default gift when I'm too lazy to even go to the store. I'd feel very lame doing it again because I've gotten her Tiffany or Coach stuff for a few years. Need something unique and non-designer to break the trend (and ideally help my wallet).

This is for people with older kids right? My 5 and 3 year old have no clue what is "hot". Whatever they like on the shelf at Target works.

I'm gonna ride out the original Wii as long as I can!

My 3yr old plays games on my iPad. Im assuming its not worth it to by that Tabeo Tablet, right?
Same here...my 4 and 8 year olds just play the iPad all the time.Only thing I am thinking for them is getting them cheaper tablets of their own and not being such weaker ones like the leap kind.There are plenty of educational apps out there for Android and iOS.

This is for people with older kids right? My 5 and 3 year old have no clue what is "hot". Whatever they like on the shelf at Target works.
:goodposting: My 3 yr old was leafing through the ToysRUs Big Book yesterday. He wants everything. So freakin cute. But anyway, the main thing he focused on was some Batman toys so those should be no sweat to get.

:goodposting: My kids love the Ninjago cartoon and I'm sure to be dropping some coin on these sets for Christmas. Star Wars Lego is real popular in my house, too.
My kid is huge into legos.Ninjago, star wars, and now the batman stuff too.He got money for his birthday from my parents and some target gift cards...used most of it on legos.Samurai set and a batman set too.Think he got a different Star Wars set for his birthday from my sister-in-law too_One of the favorite things he did was get to fill up the big cup thing at the lego store. Really wasn't bad for $15 to stuff that thing full of some pieces he does not have and colors we don't have.But it does get expensive...I keep searching craigslist for people selling tubs of them (and they are selling them pretty high too).And my mother and other family members that go to yard sales know to call me or just buy any legos they see if its not ridiculously expensive.

This is for people with older kids right? My 5 and 3 year old have no clue what is "hot". Whatever they like on the shelf at Target works.I'm gonna ride out the original Wii as long as I can!
The stuff at the bottom of the original post is mostly geared towards little guys/gals. Use that one.

My kid is huge into legos.Ninjago, star wars, and now the batman stuff too.

He got money for his birthday from my parents and some target gift cards...used most of it on legos.

Samurai set and a batman set too.

Think he got a different Star Wars set for his birthday from my sister-in-law too.

One of the favorite things he did was get to fill up the big cup thing at the lego store. Really wasn't bad for $15 to stuff that thing full of some pieces he does not have and colors we don't have.

But it does get expensive...I keep searching craigslist for people selling tubs of them (and they are selling them pretty high too).

And my mother and other family members that go to yard sales know to call me or just buy any legos they see if its not ridiculously expensive.
Off topic, but I'm starting to get a baseball cards vibe from Legos. People are buying sets and hoarding them like they did with rookie cards when I was a kid.

He got money for his birthday from my parents and some target gift cards...used most of it on legos.

Think he got a different Star Wars set for his birthday from my sister-in-law too.

One of the favorite things he did was get to fill up the big cup thing at the lego store. Really wasn't bad for $15 to stuff that thing full of some pieces he does not have and colors we don't have.

But it does get expensive...I keep searching craigslist for people selling tubs of them (and they are selling them pretty high too).

And my mother and other family members that go to yard sales know to call me or just buy any legos they see if its not ridiculously expensive.
Off topic, but I'm starting to get a baseball cards vibe from Legos. People are buying sets and hoarding them like they did with rookie cards when I was a kid.
I can see it...I wish we still had all the legos I had when I was a kid.

Though...flooded basement at my parents house and a lot of mold ruined a ton of them.

Oddly enough, the big collectables are the mini-figs the sets come with, not the sets themselves. Especially the Star Wars ones. Last year (and this one) we had a Lego Star Wars Advent Calender. There was ONE exclusive fig in there and I can't tell you how many collectors that got pissed because they took that one fig out and tried to return them. The look on their face when we opened that last window only to find it empty was priceless. :lmao:

One has actual value, and one doesn't. Says the guy with 15K worth of sealed Lego in his basement. Back on topic, I think that the Hobbit Lego will be huge hit this Christmas as the movie will drive sales.Just after Christmas, look out for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - LEGO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/followsclosely/

Thanks DH,this is a great list.

FYI Sylanders Portal - We bought the Skylande Giants game this past weekend and you can indeed fit 2 giants on the old portal.

Users who are viewing this thread