What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tavon Austin (1 Viewer)

What does Dobson have to do with anything?
Er, sorry, I always get him confused with Bailey.
It's cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some larger point.

When Ginn was drafted that high, pretty much everyone criticized the pick. Everyone knew the Dolphins had just taken a glorified kick returner.

With Tavon Austin, that's more of an added bonus. He's a WR first and foremost, and I think you'd have to have seen more of him in college to get why he's not considered to be like Ginn.

I STILL think the guy is overdrafted with this 'underuse' preseason talk. (ADP 7.05 in PPR. Drafts since 8.25.13) going before Cook (9.02) & Givens (9.11). http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2013/adp?COUNT=500&POS=*&CUTOFF=5&FRANCHISES=12&IS_PPR=1&IS_KEEPER=0&IS_MOCK=0&TIME=1377403200

I really like what I see from Givens -- flashed big time last year. I think he'll only become more polished with time. Like Bradford, year 2 in the offense. Austin will most definitely have his moments. I think he'll need growth time physically to become a consistent force.
another possibility is that in retrospect we say austin went about where he should have... but cook and givens were grossly under drafted?
I guess anything is possible in regards to Austin, but I then look at Lance Moore, Cecil Shorts, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings (and I don't even have high hopes for him at 30 with Ponder), Mike Williams, Gordon, Boldin.

Do I really think Austin should be going ahead of these types (and supporting the notion someone like Givens AND Cook are underdrafted?). If all that happens, Sam Bradford is in for one hell of a year....

PPR: Speaking of underdrafted and Ram, Darryl Richardson may the most underdrafted of them all if he's getting all down work + goalline.
i do think cook and givens should be going higher, i can understand and respect the scepticism surrounding austin, he is a speculative play on several levels (not just kept under wraps argument, but the fact that there aren't a lot of comps that come immediately to mind with his physical dimensions that have translated well from college to NFL) that requires almost an act of faith and conviction that his electric combination of speed, quickness and elusiveness will surmount lack of size obstacles/objections...
Agree with this all around.

JMO I don't think Bradford will support 3 WR's (including Cook in that) in the top 80 fantasy picks this year. Or Bradford (as mentioned earlier) is gonna be making quite a huge jump -- which wouldn't be shocking to me. I just don't see the jump being great that he's putting up current Tony Romo type #s. Especially in an a much more stingy defense division.

I personally would be surprised if Austin in Year 1 finished higher than Cook/Givens assuming no injuries. He'll have his moments -- which I suspect will include as many with ST as receiving in Year 1.

What does Dobson have to do with anything?
Er, sorry, I always get him confused with Bailey.

ETA - and the answer to "What does Bailey have to do with anything?," the answer is two fold. One is the rather weak argument of "productivity" pointed out on the last page in college. Bailey blows his production out of the water. The other is that a strong college offense with an athletic QB and two sick WRs (at the college level) can lead to exaggerated expectations in the NFL for sub-180 pound WRs.
there are two different arguments...austin's greater college success than ginn doesn't guarantee success... the point was, ginn's lack of productivity should have been a red flag... and it was... it probably didn't escape your attention that many people called ginn a reach... i'm not sure if i heard any scouts say that about austin (maybe the draft countdown guy)... quite the opposite, there was a near unanimous consensus that austin was the most explosive skill position weapon in his class (was that the case with ginn?)... observers like mayock and mcshay have said he might be the quickest prospect they have ever scouted...

i think we agree ginn was an overdrafted return artist...

if your position remains that austin is an overdrafted return artist, my guess is that is an outlier position...

as you said, you didn't see much of either, so that isn't an ideal position for making comparisons... that makes more specific breakdowns of different attributes and traits in their respective constellation of skill sets problematic... like does austin have more natural hands than ginn? are they on equal "footing" as route runners? etc. if so, the lack of skills that caused ginn to fail may not be relevant to austin... that is what i meant by cavalier...

it is easy to point to similar pedigree and size and say they are similar... you don't have to have watched them at all to say that... but if they have important skill differences, they will be lost (or never noticed in the first place) with such a facile comparison...

as to bailey and austin...

bailey... 114-1,622-25, rushing 2-13-0

austin... 114-1,289-12, rushing 72-643-3

wow, i guess my argument was weak, bailey's receptions did blow austin's out of the water :) , and austin's combined 1,932 receiving/rushing yards were smoked by bailey's 1,622 receiving yards (plus 13 rushing)... only on TDs is your point taken (25 to 15 combined)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Counting on Austin in a league without return yards to be anything more than a WR3 this year is asking for trouble. But in return leagues (with PPR), he looks like a high-end WR2 and maybe even better if he really explodes.

BTW, you can get a very similar player off the wire right now in your league. His name is Marquise "Flash" Goodwin.

Counting on Austin in a league without return yards to be anything more than a WR3 this year is asking for trouble. But in return leagues (with PPR), he looks like a high-end WR2 and maybe even better if he really explodes.

BTW, you can get a very similar player off the wire right now in your league. His name is Marquise "Flash" Goodwin.
In PPR leagues Austin should easily crack the top 25 strictly based on targets

:homer:

i think austin is being drafted as a WR3...it is possible austin and goodwin will both be third best receiving options on their respective team...

but I think that is probably goodwin's best case scenario, and austin's worst (barring injury)...

goodwin almost certain to finish behind stevie johnson, and likely robert woods...

austin could finish ahead of givens and/or cook in receptions, yards and TDs...

rams observers have said expect austin and cook to be co-focal points of passing game and offense as a whole...

don't think there is comparable expectation for goodwin in passing game... also, RB spiller will be focal point of BUF offense, making goodwin probable fourth target at best...

* some rams observers expect givens to build on his promising rookie campaign when he led the team, and do so again, taking things to another level... that is certainly possible... he has worked on his route running to be more than a deep threat... but for PPR purposes, i like austin to lead team in receptions... he takes place of amendola, but some think austin is a lot more talented (pats allowed welker to walk and made amendola his replacement, which says a lot)... of course, amendola's injuries opened the door for deep threat givens to be the leader... but if he had been healthy, he would have easily led team in receptions (think he had close to 20 reception GAME in 2011... that is half of what givens had all SEASON in 2012)...

I am excited to see how often they run the ball with Austin (even if it isn't much). What he truly loves to do. :)
If you didnt know he was a RB in high school
Yup I was reading about that. I just found it interesting how highly he was ranked as a RB also considering they have many criteria in their ratings that are not really strong suits of his. He was still rated very close to even the top RB prospects from that recruiting class.

A 78 rating as a RB is considered "good" which is a quality college starter, an 80 would be "outstanding" a player who could start as a freshman.

These are the RB criteria they use-

Inside running Can pick and slide, quick to hole, vision, cuts Outside running Has speed to the corner, can make cuts, threat to score Elusiveness Can avoid tackles, changes directions, vision Power Breaks tackles, balance, produces in short yardage, falls forward Blocking Is willing in pass protection and as a run blocker Hands Catches out of backfield, prone to fumbling Durability Toughness, can take a hit and stay in game Style Is he a slasher, darter, power, second gear?

Just how many uncoverable players are there on the Rams? Austin, Cook, Givens. Any more? How many points would you guys say the Rams are going to score this year?

The St. Louis Rams receiver used to be a running back, and he had the perfect nickname to match.

You've heard all about Tavon Austin's "cousins." The world is well versed in what he did to the Oklahoma Sooners defense with as both a running back and receiver. And everybody knows that the former Wet Virginia Mountaineer was coveted by the St. Louis Rams in the lead up to the 2013 NFL Draft. But there's something you didn't know about speeding bullet.

He used to be called "Dirty Dunn," in honor of Warrick Dunn, the Tampa Bay Buccaneersrunning back and Austin's spiritual heir as an smallish NFL offensive weapon.

Austin was on 101 ESPN on Wednesday talking about his past life as a running back. He wore No. 28 in high school, same as Dunn, which is where he got the nickname.

Dunn was a smallish running back, a dual threat who ran the ball and caught passes for the Buccaneers and later the Atlanta Falcons. The script is reversed for Austin, a wide receiver who will be doing some work as a running back. Dunn was listed as 5'9, 180 pounds. Austin is listed at 5'8, 174 pounds.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/7/24/4554332/tavon-austin-nickname-st-louis-rams-2013-roster
In the link there is a 7 minute or so podcast interview with Austin talking about how he always wanted to be a RB.

Warrick Dunn was considered too small to play in the NFL as a prospect as well despite being the 12th overall pick of his draft class.

nice find, biabreakable...

dunn was drafted by tampa bay, an organization it should be noted that had a lot of success (eventual super bowl) by drafting prospects downgraded by other franchises for being "too small" - like derrick brooks.

to this day, he is only florida state seminole to rush 3 X for 1,000 yards, and holds the season and career yardage marks...

he was also a sprinter with reported best 10.3 100 m...

dunn was rookie of the year, and 3 X pro bowler...

12 year career... mostly durable...

missed just one of first 64 games... missed nine games in next three years... then missed just one of last 80 games...

S.t.e.d.m.a.n. B.a.i.l.e.y.

The rookie to remember on the roster. Austin will make people forget tiny jitter bug NCAA players.

All this "he could've played RB in college!" talk... does anyone remember that Darren Sproles was an incredibly prolific RB in college? 300 carries for nearly 2,000 yards at K-State. For every Warrick Dunn (are they second cousins or something?) there are a dozen that either were too small or were relegated to specialty roles. Part of the reason he changed from RB to WR was that he realized or was informed he's barely big enough to play WR in the NFL, and had no shot of being an NFL RB. I'm also just plain skeptical of WV prospects, from Slaton to Devine to Smith. They rack up points in the Big East, big whoop.

All in all, I'm aware that I'm probably "that guy" in this thread who's just the hater and doesn't really respond to discussion, but I don't think there's been much legit discussion other than fluff articles and hype talk. For this season, count me in the Givens-group. Beyond this year, he could develop into a Cobb level player. But given his size, and his place in an offense with other options, I don't see him finishing higher than WR24 this year, even in PPR, in non-return yard leagues. I'll kindly step aside and revisit in the season. Either way, someone will be eating crow.

Finally, Stedman is probably the coolest football name since Tweeter.

I jumped on the Austin bandwagon the moment I heard Fisher say he's the most dynamic player he's ever coached and possesses Chris Johnson type speed. I'm expecting him to be a big part of the offense as the year progresses and it will be fun to see the creative ways they get him the ball in space.

WR24 upside as a rookie with future Cobb-like potential doesn't sound like a hater at all...

those sound to me like reasonable to optimistic projections...

and pretty convergent with mine...

i foresee a low-crow diet for the pro-austin contingent...

* i can certainly appreciate why some would be higher on givens than austin, there is a lot to like about him, too... and he has bonus of being a relatively more proven commodity in the NFL, unlike austin, who, like all rookies, is to a greater or lesser degree, inherently speculative...

i forgot how high a level sproles had been productive as college RB... you are right, of course they are beating the odds, for every sproles and dunn success, myriad undersized wash outs...

agreed, at his size, WR was by far austin's best (only?) option for potential high level success at the next level, as something other than a gadget/gimmick player, he is fortunate w. virginia "converted" him... it does speak to his athleticism and talent that he took to it so naturally and quickly... interestingly, given how dominant he looked as a RB against oklahoma, that could bode well if rams elect to use him in that capacity a few times a game, ala harvin...

point taken, w. virginia prospects haven't exactly set the league on fire in recent years... not sure if there had been many (any) elite QB prospects out of oklahoma until bradford (aikman recruited there with promise of switch to passing offense, but than another running QB unexpectedly became a star, leading to his transfer to UCLA)...

Starting him this week over the likes of Steve Smith (facing Richard Sherman this week) and Mendenhall. I'm really hoping this talk of him being restrained in preseason is legit and he sees 7-10 targets for at least 6 catches (PPR league).

Was anyone else scared off from him because they think Bradford is just plain old not all that good at QB?
Maybe people that don't understand football
People need to remember, the Rams COULD have drafted RG3. They knew they had a good QB in Bradford. As a Skins fan, I am so glad they moved the pick, we got a franchise super star, but the Rams are looking pretty good for the future too!

Counting on Austin in a league without return yards to be anything more than a WR3 this year is asking for trouble. But in return leagues (with PPR), he looks like a high-end WR2 and maybe even better if he really explodes. BTW, you can get a very similar player off the wire right now in your league. His name is Marquise "Flash" Goodwin.
i think austin is being drafted as a WR3...it is possible austin and goodwin will both be third best receiving options on their respective team...but I think that is probably goodwin's best case scenario, and austin's worst (barring injury)...goodwin almost certain to finish behind stevie johnson, and likely robert woods...austin could finish ahead of givens and/or cook in receptions, yards and TDs...rams observers have said expect austin and cook to be co-focal points of passing game and offense as a whole...don't think there is comparable expectation for goodwin in passing game... also, RB spiller will be focal point of BUF offense, making goodwin probable fourth target at best...* some rams observers expect givens to build on his promising rookie campaign when he led the team, and do so again, taking things to another level... that is certainly possible... he has worked on his route running to be more than a deep threat... but for PPR purposes, i like austin to lead team in receptions... he takes place of amendola, but some think austin is a lot more talented (pats allowed welker to walk and made amendola his replacement, which says a lot)... of course, amendola's injuries opened the door for deep threat givens to be the leader... but if he had been healthy, he would have easily led team in receptions (think he had close to 20 reception GAME in 2011... that is half of what givens had all SEASON in 2012)...
Respectfully disagree. I see both players being used almost identically by their respective teams as all purpose monsters.

Both will be money in PPR return leagues, but Goodwin will come at a throw away price. Well at least until tomorrow that is.

Was anyone else scared off from him because they think Bradford is just plain old not all that good at QB?
People need to remember, the Rams COULD have drafted RG3. They knew they had a good QB in Bradford. As a Skins fan, I am so glad they moved the pick, we got a franchise super star, but the Rams are looking pretty good for the future too!
One of the biggest trades in NFL history...and both teams benefited greatly. A thing of beauty.

One of the biggest trades in NFL history...and both teams benefited greatly. A thing of beauty.
Exactly this. As a Rams fan, I find it funny when 'Skins fans spout off about how they fleeced us. It's possible for a trade to be a win/win. Whether the Rams did well in the trade has less to do with the picks they got as it is their evaluation of Bradford being a viable franchise QB.

I think it was a good trade and the Rams will still be getting more assets from it in 2014. So we will not really be able to fairly evaluate who if either team got the better half of this until something like 2017.

I agree how well Bradford performs is likely the most important part of the deal.

Counting on Austin in a league without return yards to be anything more than a WR3 this year is asking for trouble. But in return leagues (with PPR), he looks like a high-end WR2 and maybe even better if he really explodes. BTW, you can get a very similar player off the wire right now in your league. His name is Marquise "Flash" Goodwin.
i think austin is being drafted as a WR3...it is possible austin and goodwin will both be third best receiving options on their respective team...but I think that is probably goodwin's best case scenario, and austin's worst (barring injury)...goodwin almost certain to finish behind stevie johnson, and likely robert woods...austin could finish ahead of givens and/or cook in receptions, yards and TDs...rams observers have said expect austin and cook to be co-focal points of passing game and offense as a whole...don't think there is comparable expectation for goodwin in passing game... also, RB spiller will be focal point of BUF offense, making goodwin probable fourth target at best...* some rams observers expect givens to build on his promising rookie campaign when he led the team, and do so again, taking things to another level... that is certainly possible... he has worked on his route running to be more than a deep threat... but for PPR purposes, i like austin to lead team in receptions... he takes place of amendola, but some think austin is a lot more talented (pats allowed welker to walk and made amendola his replacement, which says a lot)... of course, amendola's injuries opened the door for deep threat givens to be the leader... but if he had been healthy, he would have easily led team in receptions (think he had close to 20 reception GAME in 2011... that is half of what givens had all SEASON in 2012)...
Respectfully disagree. I see both players being used almost identically by their respective teams as all purpose monsters.

Both will be money in PPR return leagues, but Goodwin will come at a throw away price. Well at least until tomorrow that is.
me, too... though admittedly I don't follow BUF as closely as some other teams...

my rationale for preferring austin to goodwin is thinking austin has a chance to lead the team in receptions, and they don't have a receiving back on the level of spiller...

what range are you projecting goodwin for receptions?

do you think he has a chance to have more than stevie johnson?

of course, goodwin could be fourth in receptions in BUF and have more than rams top WR, that is possible, but doesn't seem likely... though BUF has been identified as an up tempo offense like PHI (STL could be as well, but the offense was kept a well guarded secret in preseason)... so that could be a source of extra receptions for WRs, relative to non-up tempo peers...

Has Austin been anointed P and K return duties? I can't find that info anywhere?

I think it was a good trade and the Rams will still be getting more assets from it in 2014. So we will not really be able to fairly evaluate who if either team got the better half of this until something like 2017.

I agree how well Bradford performs is likely the most important part of the deal.
don't expect this to happen, but hypothetically, if bradford were to play well enough without becoming a star, several of other trade components become pro bowlers, and STL wins the next three super bowls, most would say it was a succesful trade for the rams...they added a LOT of players through the trade (in some cases by additional trade downs being parlayed into even more picks)... some of those picks appear to have wisely spent, like brockers, jenkins, ogletree (and they still have 2014 1st as you noted)... jury still out on pead...

that has the potential to weigh heavily in the rams fortunes going forward, apart from bradford... the three defenders above address all three levels of the defense, and could be future pro bowlers (all carried top 10-15 grades, latter two fell due to off field issues)... cumulatively, they could have a massive impact in the next few years...

was this the biggest trade since DAL/MIN involving walker?

i heard it was first time a pick fetched three 1sts in return (though really two, since they parted with their higher 1.2 to get redskins lower 2012 1st, in addition to 2013 & 2014 1sts and 2012 2nd)...

Has Austin been anointed P and K return duties? I can't find that info anywhere?
expected to be punt returner...kick returner still being hashed out (about three competing, pead keeps fumbling), PROBABLY not austin, perhaps he could be used selectively in this capacity, if rams need a big play?

don't expect this to happen, but hypothetically, if bradford were to play well enough without becoming a star, several of other trade components become pro bowlers, and STL wins the next three super bowls, most would say it was a succesful trade for the rams...they added a LOT of players through the trade (in some cases by additional trade downs being parlayed into even more picks)... some of those picks appear to have wisely spent, like brockers, jenkins, ogletree (and they still have 2014 1st as you noted)... jury still out on pead...

that has the potential to weigh heavily in the rams fortunes going forward, apart from bradford... the three defenders above address all three levels of the defense, and could be future pro bowlers (all carried top 10-15 grades, latter two fell due to off field issues)... cumulatively, they could have a massive impact in the next few years...

was this the biggest trade since DAL/MIN involving walker?

i heard it was first time a pick fetched three 1sts in return (though really two, since they parted with their higher 1.2 to get redskins lower 2012 1st, in addition to 2013 & 2014 1sts and 2012 2nd)...
I think it was. The Hershel Walker deal was intentionally bad because Mike Lynn was leaving management of the team at that time. Jerry Burns the HC of the Vikings at this time did not want Walker. He was still sending the plays in with a RB every down which is the way they communicated plays to the QB at that time before installing communications in the QB helmet. Point being the Vikings purposefully had a 4RB rotation for this purpose as well as other parts of their game plan.

The trade was in part because of difficulty at that time of getting 1st round rookie picks to sign their contracts in a timely fashion and the cost being so high for those picks. As I recall there were many hold outs of 1st round picks during this period. The new CBA has solved this issue for the most part. Bradford being one of the last high 1st round picks to get a huge contact.

So from just the cost for investment perspective, the Rams got a great deal because they do not need to pay those 1st round picks as much as salary demands had been pushing those contracts up for the previous 2 decades.

Additionally I do not think Fisher wanted to run a read option offense that fully utilizes RG3's talents. He has said one of the reasons he chose to HC the Rams is because of Bradford. He did not want to go through QB issues again like he was forced to with Vince Young. Not that Fisher did not have success with Steve McNair who was also a running QB.

I think the cumulative sum of the parts gained from the trade will be in the Rams favor. However getting a franchise QB like RG3 can also be seen as worth it for the Redskins, because teams can go decades without ever having a chance to acquire such a QB.

me, too... though admittedly I don't follow BUF as closely as some other teams...

my rationale for preferring austin to goodwin is thinking austin has a chance to lead the team in receptions, and they don't have a receiving back on the level of spiller...

of course, goodwin could be fourth in receptions in BUF and have more than rams top WR, that is possible, but doesn't seem likely... though BUF has been identified as an up tempo offense like PHI (STL could be as well, but the offense was kept a well guarded secret in preseason)... so that could be a source of extra receptions for WRs, relative to non-up tempo peers...
Bills fan here. If Goodwin is third on the team in receptions at the season's end, I'll be surprised. Johnson, Spiller, and Woods will be ahead of him. Plus the Bills are breaking in a rookie QB and a new offense while the Bradford knows the ropes and has been in this offense for a year already.

Anyone saying Goodwin is a better play than Austin is nuts.

You know I could see Austin EXPLODING tomorrow or putting up a dud. I'd say his debut is as anticipated as any rookie over the last few seasons

Bills fan here. If Goodwin is third on the team in receptions at the season's end, I'll be surprised. Johnson, Spiller, and Woods will be ahead of him. Plus the Bills are breaking in a rookie QB and a new offense while the Bradford knows the ropes and has been in this offense for a year already.

Anyone saying Goodwin is a better play than Austin is nuts.
I do think the comparison of Goodwin is worth considering from a dynasty value stand point.

As you point out Austin is in a better situation than Goodwin to see more tangible results sooner in their careers. But this is also baked into the value one would have to use to acquire Goodwin compared to Austin.

I have made similar observation and calculated this somewhat into my rookie ranking list, although I admit I should put some more time into reading about Goodwin than I have up to this point, to make a more informed decision/ranking.

Part of my laziness about this is due to me not seeing as early of reward coming from rostering Goodwin as I do Austin. I consider Goodwin a longer term play.

Taking a longer view of player value in dynasty could lead one to value both players more closely than a view point that puts emphasis on early results.

I can see what I think LawFitz is getting at with this comparison and for the most part I agree. How much should that move Goodwin up in my rankings of rookies, if at all is something I should give more attention to, and I am glad he mentions this.

For further context here is my most recent list of rookie rankings, which are geared towards standard leagues without kick returns (which would push the value of Austin and Goodwin higher on my list)-

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Gio Bernard
Cordelle Patterson
DeAndre Hopkins
Christine Michael
Eddie Lacy
Tavon Austin
Tyler Eifert
Travis Kelce
Zac Stacy
Monte Ball
LeVeon Bell
Keenan Allen
Stedman Bailey
Kenbrell Thompkins
Quinton Patton
EJ Manuel
Marcus Wheaton
Robert Woods
Aaron Dobson
Terrance Williams
Kenny Stills
Vance McDonald
Marcus Lattimore
Zach Ertz
Knile Davis
Ciere Wood
Joseph Randle
Dernard Robinson
Marquise Goodwin
Justin Hunter
Geno Smith
Matt Pryor http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=687311&page=2
For further context go to the thread. This is only the draftable players. The rest I consider to be on watch list.

I can see Goodwin's value in 2014 being higher than many of the RB listed directly above Goodwin and would be so factoring in kick returns right now. Although the potential of a RB getting massive touches should the RB ahead of them in the depth chart have an injury. So it would still be difficult to do so.

I could also see Goodwin being in the same tier as Wheaton, Woods, Dobson, Williams, Stills, the main reason he is not is because I see Spiller, Johnson and Woods being ahead of Goodwin in terms of targets, at least for 2013.

Ace Sanders is another player with similar potential as Austin and Goodwin to contribute as a kick returner and slot WR, which being a slot WR can be very valuable in PPR leagues if the player does earn high volume targets, which I do think is something the league has been trending more towards in recent seasons. I don't even have Sanders on this watch list as I think he is further away from contributing as a receiver than Goodwin or Austin is, in even less favorable situation, with higher quality WR to compete with for playing time there. When I revise again Sanders may make the watch list (haha a watch list to make the watch list).

My rankings if PPR would favor players like this more than my current list does.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch expects Tavon Austin to have a bigger role on offense than he had in the preseason.
ESPN blogger Nick Wagoner and NFL Films' Greg Cosell also believe Austin was intentionally underutilized in the preseason, where he managed eight catches for 66 yards and an 81-yard punt return despite only playing in three-wide sets. Austin has the potential to get consistent targets in the short-to-intermediate passing game, but is a high-risk WR3 against the Cardinals. Rotoworld ranks him as the No. 52 overall wideout for Week 1.

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch
Sep 7 - 3:47 PM

good point about goodwin's longer term, bigger payoff horizon being "baked in", he has cheaper acquisition cost...

i don't have him in same tier as wheaton or woods (more complete receivers, in my book)...

definitely not austin...

it isn't just about pedigree or opportunity...

goodwin was used as more of a strictly one dimensional deep threat in college...

MAYBE he can become a more complete WR, and develop a more well rounded game?

but to me that isn't a given (not to be confused with givens :) )... i think it is with austin... i think he has demonstrably outstanding hands... he didn't run anything resembling complete NFL route trees in the air raid passing attack at west virginia, however, i have seen him run short and intermediate as well as deep routes... i've seen goodwin blow by CBs with world class speed, but austin could be more versatile in his ability to be elusive in the middle of the field, in close quarters, with make-you-miss-in-a-phonebooth ability...

but if goodwin is a close approximation of austin (which i am sceptical of, for pedigree, opportunity and scouting reasons), no question he will represent far better value, and will be a coup for his owners...

i might go further and say, even if he isn't a close approximation of austin, he could still represent pretty good value in dynasty...

maybe i am having a hard time looking past my bias... i can't recall a lot of sprinters (long jumper, too, in his case) with limited use in college who hit it big...

who would his comp be? that might be instructive... who with either similar physical tools, skill set or college resume has had a high level of NFL success?

jacoby ford kind of comes to mind for me, as a somewhat undersized sprinter... there was a time i thought he might develop into more with OAK, but hard to disentangle possible injury causes for his inability to break out in recent years, or what would be a more damaging indictment, chalked up to more fundamental flaws in his overall game?

Sproles is probably the best comp given how he's being used by the Saints now. Sproles doesn't have the long speed Austin has now, but they're both small and really instinctive. Both can play RB in a pinch, but they are also very good receivers. They can make defenders look silly with their quickness, and have been durable given their size. I watched numerous college games of both players, and they both have that electricity about them; you don't want to miss a play because they could make that Barry Sanders type move that brings you out of your seat.

Sproles is probably the best comp given how he's being used by the Saints now. Sproles doesn't have the long speed Austin has now, but they're both small and really instinctive. Both can play RB in a pinch, but they are also very good receivers.
"In a pinch"?? Sproles averaged 70 carries a season the last 5 years.

good point about goodwin's longer term, bigger payoff horizon being "baked in", he has cheaper acquisition cost...

i don't have him in same tier as wheaton or woods (more complete receivers, in my book)...

definitely not austin...

it isn't just about pedigree or opportunity...

goodwin was used as more of a strictly one dimensional deep threat in college...

MAYBE he can become a more complete WR, and develop a more well rounded game?

but to me that isn't a given (not to be confused with givens :) )... i think it is with austin... i think he has demonstrably outstanding hands... he didn't run anything resembling complete NFL route trees in the air raid passing attack at west virginia, however, i have seen him run short and intermediate as well as deep routes... i've seen goodwin blow by CBs with world class speed, but austin could be more versatile in his ability to be elusive in the middle of the field, in close quarters, with make-you-miss-in-a-phonebooth ability...

but if goodwin is a close approximation of austin (which i am sceptical of, for pedigree, opportunity and scouting reasons), no question he will represent far better value, and will be a coup for his owners...

i might go further and say, even if he isn't a close approximation of austin, he could still represent pretty good value in dynasty...

maybe i am having a hard time looking past my bias... i can't recall a lot of sprinters (long jumper, too, in his case) with limited use in college who hit it big...

who would his comp be? that might be instructive... who with either similar physical tools, skill set or college resume has had a high level of NFL success?

jacoby ford kind of comes to mind for me, as a somewhat undersized sprinter... there was a time i thought he might develop into more with OAK, but hard to disentangle possible injury causes for his inability to break out in recent years, or what would be a more damaging indictment, chalked up to more fundamental flaws in his overall game?
JMHO here but I think Goodwin was terribly underutilized in college. I don't think his lateral elusiveness is on par with Austin but I do think he's as, if not more explosive and I think his ball skills are as good. The guy can catch the football. Doug Marrone made some revealing comments about how he sees Goodwin as a comparable talent to Austin. I think the Bills reached a round or two early for Goodwin relative to media consensus because Marrone is high on him. I also think they're going to use Goodson exactly like the Rams will use Austin. KR/PR, slot WR, bubble screens, reverses, wheel routes... Line him up all over looking for mismatches.

The main difference is I think Austin will see more offensive snaps to start the season, but that dynamic can and will shift fast after Goodson makes a couple splashy plays and will also be offset somewhat by Buffalo's up tempo style. My spidey sense is blaring the horns that this guy is Marrone's secrect weapon. We'll find out tomorrow.

Sproles is probably the best comp given how he's being used by the Saints now. Sproles doesn't have the long speed Austin has now, but they're both small and really instinctive. Both can play RB in a pinch, but they are also very good receivers.
"In a pinch"?? Sproles averaged 70 carries a season the last 5 years.
The point is that Sproles does his damage in a jack of all trades role, not an every down back.

Users who are viewing this thread