What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (19 Viewers)

Man I got smoked today - biggest loss relative to the S&P I can remember, ever.  A diversified portfolio just didn't do well.  Long bonds got decimated, along with anything interest rate sensitive.  Real estate got crushed.  Foreign and EM items were way down.  

Tonight I'm going to do some digging into VTR, O, and DLR.  All three got absolutely hammered and I don't see why, other than general interest rate sensitivity.  I'm thinking of adding to one of those tomorrow, DLR most likely.  Going to TLH a muni CEF and flip into something else.  

Oh, and anyone looking for high quality preferred stocks - now is the time to look.  They're at great levels right now (they've been overpriced for a while - back down to fair value).

Man I got smoked today - biggest loss relative to the S&P I can remember, ever.  A diversified portfolio just didn't do well.  Long bonds got decimated, along with anything interest rate sensitive.  Real estate got crushed.  Foreign and EM items were way down.  

Tonight I'm going to do some digging into VTR, O, and DLR.  All three got absolutely hammered and I don't see why, other than general interest rate sensitivity.  I'm thinking of adding to one of those tomorrow, DLR most likely.  Going to TLH a muni CEF and flip into something else.  

Oh, and anyone looking for high quality preferred stocks - now is the time to look.  They're at great levels right now (they've been overpriced for a while - back down to fair value).
Put more into PFF yesterday and moved a bunch out of S&P 500 index today.

So how safe is FSIXX if the market were to take a crap?  What is the potential downside (not counting potential growth of what I am currently in, which is the S&P)?

So how safe is FSIXX if the market were to take a crap?  What is the potential downside (not counting potential growth of what I am currently in, which is the S&P)?
That's a money market fund.  It isn't connected to stocks at all.  It's designed to be safe.

I don't think what happens on any one day should determine the major moves you make in your investment portfolio.  Big days like today are great for scalping and day trading - that's all.  Had Hillary won I think the market would have been up by more than it was today...though the dramatic move from the lows last night was something else.

I've said this numerous times.  Have a CONCRETE method for determining the value of a company.  Have a CONCRETE method for determining whether a stock is in a bullish trend or bearish trend.  In general buy stocks you considered undervalued AND in a bullish trend and sell stocks that you consider overvalued and in a bearish trend.  Recognize that at some point in time stock price and it's true value meet.

Honestly, the only person that I know here who does this consistently is Sand.  Personally, I find it difficult right to find undervalued stocks in a bull trend these days - which makes it difficult (imo) for systematic investing.  Technically I think the market is at an important level - and personally I'm not sure exactly which way it's going to tilt (major new bull market or major new bear market).  So I'm mostly just scalping along and selling positions as they roll over.  I don't have the conviction either way to add to any long term "bets". And it's definitely frustrating.

Bought PFE a couple weeks ago and Amgen before the close on Monday. I guess sometimes the blind squirrel does get the nut. But I have no idea what to think long-term with my retirement money. I left half in stocks and half in cash leading up til Tuesday. I'm bearish long-term re: Trump (I despise the fraud) but the markets today say otherwise. Guess I'll sit tight for a little while to see what shakes out. But I am nervous in a lot of ways.

Bought PFE a couple weeks ago and Amgen before the close on Monday. I guess sometimes the blind squirrel does get the nut. But I have no idea what to think long-term with my retirement money. I left half in stocks and half in cash leading up til Tuesday. I'm bearish long-term re: Trump (I despise the fraud) but the markets today say otherwise. Guess I'll sit tight for a little while to see what shakes out. But I am nervous in a lot of ways.
I'm with you. About 95% of retirement cash. Got to leave it that way for awhile. Down like 7-8% on the year because I pulled it out early in the year thinking the big one was hitting and it turned out to be a head fake. 

I was looking at them too. It is across the Nasdaq.

Best I came up with is they all have a ton of debt, the market is betting debt won't be as cheap.

FB and GOOG have a lot of debt?

Interesting
I was referring more to the Nazzy, most of the tech companies there carry a ton of it. 

GOOG is just hated by the market bc they still don't have another cash cow beyond PPC, I mean they've got revenue through all forms of advertising, but PPC is still there main source. They haven't made any big acquisitions (noteworthy at least, maybe Nest, but still not gonna move the needle on a company their size). 

FB is the polar opposite to this IMO, willing to pay whatever they think a company is worth - everyone laughed at Snapchat for tunring down their $4B offer. That $1B to Instagram looks like a bargain now.

Right.  Bezos also Tweeted something about Trump today congratulationing him.  Guess an olive branch.  The thing is, Trump wasn't just elected king so his power is limited even with a Republican controled Senate and House. Secondly, if he were able to somehow exact revenge on Bezos and AMZN because of petty comments, that would be a pretty scary thing that would probably crash the market.  I like GOOGL more, really, which is why I bought twice the amount today.  Also AMZN is a hedge for me against my real job as I witness them take market share every day.  If they keep getting pummeled, I'll be buying more.  Funny, two days after the election and apparently, according to stock prices,  malls and big box stores are where Americans prefer to spend their money like we all went 30 years into the past.  Well, I think in some ways we have gone back 30 years but I digress. 

Agree that Trump's plate will be too full for vendettas.

Monday I was down about 15% on my REGN position. Today I'm up 2%. This biotech rally is clearly unsustainable, but when does the music stop? :oldunsure:  

Right.  Bezos also Tweeted something about Trump today congratulationing him.  Guess an olive branch.  The thing is, Trump wasn't just elected king so his power is limited even with a Republican controled Senate and House. Secondly, if he were able to somehow exact revenge on Bezos and AMZN because of petty comments, that would be a pretty scary thing that would probably crash the market.  I like GOOGL more, really, which is why I bought twice the amount today.  Also AMZN is a hedge for me against my real job as I witness them take market share every day.  If they keep getting pummeled, I'll be buying more.  Funny, two days after the election and apparently, according to stock prices,  malls and big box stores are where Americans prefer to spend their money like we all went 30 years into the past.  Well, I think in some ways we have gone back 30 years but I digress. 
Oh, no doubt- it's all over-reaction, just like the health care stocks when Hillary was leading. Just put the link in to explain the likely cause of the selling, even though it's unwarranted (doesn't mean they won't go down for other reasons, of course).

Agree that Trump's plate will be too full for vendettas.

Monday I was down about 15% on my REGN position. Today I'm up 2%. This biotech rally is clearly unsustainable, but when does the music stop? :oldunsure:  
I picked a helluva time to take the loss on GILD.  Glad to hear things working out for you GB. :thumbup:

I've got most my Roth in treasuries and bonds at this point. Also considering bailing from my high yield products. Tempted to pull the bonds at this point.

Bought 5 AMZN at $742.66 for 60 at $633.05

Bought 10 GOOGL at $785.11 for 52 at $622.17

*SIGH*

Sold 60 AMZN at $717.26 for a profit of $5052.60

Sold 52 GOOGL at $745.95 for a profit of $6436.56

Hate to do this but the bottom is falling out and can't lose the profit.  I'll be back but need to see some sort of floor.

*SIGH*

Sold 60 AMZN at $717.26 for a profit of $5052.60

Sold 52 GOOGL at $745.95 for a profit of $6436.56

Hate to do this but the bottom is falling out and can't lose the profit.  I'll be back but need to see some sort of floor.
$11K is $11K. Nicely done. 

Users who are viewing this thread