What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (23 Viewers)

Even my little piece of the pie has a very nice surplus on it, and doing the math means that some of you guys have made thousands in not much more than a week or two. Well done, PEATF'rs  :thumbup:

Wow, what just happened? This was nice, I just opened some tickers and everything I own rocketed (except AMZN, where there seems to be some magical psychological sell wall at $1,500).

Nice day all around :thumbup:

Wow, what just happened? This was nice, I just opened some tickers and everything I own rocketed (except AMZN, where there seems to be some magical psychological sell wall at $1,500).
I would like to publicly give HSY the :finger: for ruining what would have been an all green day.   Special kudos to CHCT for blowing the lid off of earnings.

I was thinking i would offer to rent out a local school stadium to watch all of his kids so he can go out for a night if he is ever in wisco.
:lmao: :lmao:

I wish knew how to multi-quote (I used to, but it doesn't work now unless I do it on accident) but I'm delighted this worked out.  I've had several losers in here over the years too *COUGH COUGH* I'm looking at you Clearwater and all you Uranium losers *COUGH*.  I also think selling here (at least half) is the wise thing to do, even though I won't because I've never been wise in the past and I don't plan on starting now.

And no, there is never any need for gifts ever.  If you feel altruistic, maybe give a little more to your favorite charity, or mine (Chance for Hope) or consider covering SoCalBronco's Cake fees (I think he's fallen on some hard times).  Do some good.  You know, before this thing falls back to earth and you all hate me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
General Malaise said:
Peat on the hop....just touched .37 northern asssss hat wheat pennies.
Well, hell, apparently I should have held onto my shares. Anti-####### Midas touch, I swear...I can't even keep the few winners I have. Only chance of getting them any cheaper now is dilution, and good luck with that, looking at the recent run-up. 

Just sold have of my PEATF, leaving me 5000 free shares plus 800 bucks or whatever in profit. Locking in profits and still get to satisfy FOMO.

Heh, like I said, this thread will be a fun game of chicken when it comes time to actually sell. 
Not necessarily. If this is a legit company, that wont be an issue. If it is a pump and dump, we have yet to see the pump so there would still be plenty of volume generated to get out once that happens. 

The math is inarguable - you're 100% right.  I don't doubt that we'll see a slowdown in price increases as rates increase, but in many markets (almost all of CA) there is such a shortage for housing that increased rates may simply lower demand from insane to rational, where prices increase slowly or remain stable for a couple of years.  

I was all in on the last crash, largely because the economics just didn't make sense and there was massive fraud going on (bartenders owning 4 homes, NINJA loans, etc.)  I think increased rates will certainly price some folks on the margins out for awhile, I'm with @St. Louis Bob - I just don't see 5.5% causing a mass exodus or a housing led recession. I could certainly be wrong.  :shrug:
Same way in Portland. Mortgage interest rates below 7% or 8% is still healthy if economy is strong with employment and income. For the past  few years (Arguably a decade) US economy was subsidized by government that rescued industries from auto to banking and housing. Now we are on track to what real economy should look like. Buy vs. Rent is the key to each owner occupied purchase regardless of the price point of the purchase or interest rate.   
I saw this morning that new housing sales were down 7% when they were expected to be up 4%.  Apparently, this inflation that we are certainly not experiencing, is pricing people out because of costs of materials.

Well, I'll say this.  My boss just spent $6,000 on airline tickets to visit Lubumbashi, Congo in early April.  He's also spent over $1,000 to get a 2nd US Passport along with a sponsored visa from the Congolese embassy (along with expedited service) and has arrangements with handlers on the ground there who will shepherd him around so he comes back in one piece all so he can see what this Peat Resources (name change coming) is sitting on over there.  And, even though the guy went on a ridiculous racist tirade and we decided to pull our last article submission from his global newsletter (which was not met with friendly understanding), Marc Faber has agreed to accept my boss's article about his upcoming trip to the DRC and what we are seeing in the cobalt space currently.  He will no doubt spend a lot of that article on Peat, good or bad.

So, if this is a scam with no prospects, it sure would be a waste of time and money for the guy I work for to go all that way and write about it all to a newsletter service with widespread distribution (even after the stupid racist comments) if he felt it was anything other than a legit company with bright prospects, to say nothing of the personal risk he is undertaking.

And if he doesn't come back, I better polish up my resume because I haven't needed one since 1998 and it would be rather humbling not to mention panic inducing to go back into the job market at 45 with 5 kids and no real special set of skills.  Although I have always wanted to try my hand at office surprise sales. @St. Louis Bob

Surely FBG has enough shares held to be a voting bloc for the change.
Well, management wants the name to be "Cobalt Blockchain", which sounds kinda cool, but as my boss pointed out to them, there are short sellers out there just WAITING for companies that change their name to Something Something {insert Blockchain here} to pounce on and the last thing 'Ol Pete here wants to do is invite selling pressure from eager bears looking to feast upon the Chain of Blocks.  

So his recommendation?  CoChain.  That'll certainly fool 'em!

Same way in Portland. Mortgage interest rates below 7% or 8% is still healthy if economy is strong with employment and income. For the past  few years (Arguably a decade) US economy was subsidized by government that rescued industries from auto to banking and housing. Now we are on track to what real economy should look like. Buy vs. Rent is the key to each owner occupied purchase regardless of the price point of the purchase or interest rate.   
If mortgage rates found their way to 7%, housing prices would collapse, it would be a catastrophe. 

Today, on a $500k house, your P&I is about $1,900 at current mortgage rates with 20% down - at 7% it would be about $2,700... ####### catastrophe!

Well, management wants the name to be "Cobalt Blockchain", which sounds kinda cool, but as my boss pointed out to them, there are short sellers out there just WAITING for companies that change their name to Something Something {insert Blockchain here} to pounce on and the last thing 'Ol Pete here wants to do is invite selling pressure from eager bears looking to feast upon the Chain of Blocks.  

So his recommendation?  CoChain.  That'll certainly fool 'em!
Just shot back up, seemed to work!

If mortgage rates found their way to 7%, housing prices would collapse, it would be a catastrophe. 

Today, on a $500k house, your P&I is about $1,900 at current mortgage rates with 20% down - at 7% it would be about $2,700... ####### catastrophe!
Still a matter of supply and demand.  Population in growth areas will continue to push the demand.  Maybe less people can afford to buy, but their rent will go up, costs will not go down.  7% isn't really that much for someone making a long-term investment.   

Still a matter of supply and demand.  Population in growth areas will continue to push the demand.  Maybe less people can afford to buy, but their rent will go up, costs will not go down.  7% isn't really that much for someone making a long-term investment.   
You’re raising someone’s P&I by almost 50%, if you don’t think that would have an enormous impact on the demand side of the equation, I don’t know what else to tell you.

Edit, I’m sorry, that almost 50% increase in payment would strictly be interest, they’d be getting nothing more for it. 

You’re raising someone’s P&I by almost 50%, if you don’t think that would have an enormous impact on the demand side of the equation, I don’t know what else to tell you.

Edit, I’m sorry, that almost 50% increase in payment would strictly be interest, they’d be getting nothing more for it. 
It will have an impact on the crazy growth/inflation of current home prices, but not enormous.  So long as the economy is still doing well you won't price out all investors at 7%.  

It will have an impact on the crazy growth/inflation of current home prices, but not enormous.  So long as the economy is still doing well you won't price out all investors at 7%.  
Investors pay cash. 

Overlap a chart of wage growth and housing price growth, affordability is already stretched, even at these rates. If wages are growing at 2% and borrowing costs are rising at 25-50%, your economy argument holds zero weight.

With all due respect, you’re so wildly incorrect on this, I don’t have much more to say. 

General Malaise said:
Well, I'll say this.  My boss just spent $6,000 on airline tickets to visit Lubumbashi, Congo in early April.  He's also spent over $1,000 to get a 2nd US Passport along with a sponsored visa from the Congolese embassy (along with expedited service) and has arrangements with handlers on the ground there who will shepherd him around so he comes back in one piece all so he can see what this Peat Resources (name change coming) is sitting on over there.  And, even though the guy went on a ridiculous racist tirade and we decided to pull our last article submission from his global newsletter (which was not met with friendly understanding), Marc Faber has agreed to accept my boss's article about his upcoming trip to the DRC and what we are seeing in the cobalt space currently.  He will no doubt spend a lot of that article on Peat, good or bad.

So, if this is a scam with no prospects, it sure would be a waste of time and money for the guy I work for to go all that way and write about it all to a newsletter service with widespread distribution (even after the stupid racist comments) if he felt it was anything other than a legit company with bright prospects, to say nothing of the personal risk he is undertaking.

And if he doesn't come back, I better polish up my resume because I haven't needed one since 1998 and it would be rather humbling not to mention panic inducing to go back into the job market at 45 with 5 kids and no real special set of skills.  Although I have always wanted to try my hand at office surprise sales. @St. Louis Bob

Said nobody employable in any other industry ever in the last 15+ years.

General Malaise said:

So evidently I missed the PEATF discussion. How do they compare to KBLT and are we still bullish on the latter?

And what's the deal with BKDCF?

TIA

$ENDP reports tomorrow morning, followed by $VRX the day after.  Might be a good indicator of where some of these special pharma companies are headed.

Investors pay cash. 

Overlap a chart of wage growth and housing price growth, affordability is already stretched, even at these rates. If wages are growing at 2% and borrowing costs are rising at 25-50%, your economy argument holds zero weight.

With all due respect, you’re so wildly incorrect on this, I don’t have much more to say. 
Exaggerate much?  "Enormous impact" to the housing market when rates hit 7%?  But that's only about 2.5 points from where it is now.  It's already increased by almost a whole point over the last year with very limited impact to housing prices (in my area they keep going up).  Not sure at what point you think we're going off this "huge" cliff. 

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/analysis/

Most experts attribute the drop in sales to a shortage of inventory rather than rising rates. Greg McBride, CFA, chief financial analyst for Bankrate.com, says that limited inventory of available homes for sale is putting a crimp in home sales, not small upticks in mortgage rates as the strong economy is motivating buyers.

Exaggerate much?  "Enormous impact" to the housing market when rates hit 7%?  But that's only about 2.5 points from where it is now.  It's already increased by almost a whole point over the last year with very limited impact to housing prices (in my area they keep going up).  Not sure at what point you think we're going off this "huge" cliff. 

I can quote talking heads too, which I'll do below. I'm sorry, this isn't 1986 and you aren't buying your first home for $54,000 at 9% - so while you might think "hey, 7.5%, big deal lol," it would be catastrophic. 

You don't think an extra $8,000 - $10,000 going to interest annually is a gigantic problem for middle class buyers :lmao:  That's just oblivious. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/26/rising-mortgage-rates-hit-new-home-sales-hard-a-bad-sign-for-builders.html

You think more consumers would prefer new construction over an existing home? I certainly do. Those buyers are already being priced out, and we're in the low 4 percent range. New home sales down 7.8% in January.

"It seems that the jump in mortgage rates in January had an immediate impact on contract signings," wrote Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group. "You can't get more interest rate sensitive when it comes to homes and cars with the associated cost to finance."
That is a move from 4 to 4.25%

But wait, demand demand demand, right? 

While there is a severe shortage of existing homes for sale, the opposite appears to be the case in the new home market. Supply rose to the highest level in four years, another sign that new construction is increasingly out of financial reach for today's home buyers.
I wonder why a bad Jan in new construction followed up a bad December - I'm completely perplexed here, I mean, everyone wants a house, surely this can't have anything to do with affordability, and if we just double someone's payments, that would probably only have a minor impact.

Go ahead and ignore these indicators - usually, by the time you see something, it's too late - I'm paying close attention to this stuff for preservation... It isn't at a tipping point yet, but once you see the 10 year around 4-4.25% and 30 year mortgage rates over 5.5%, I think we'll be just about there and the party will be coming to a close. 

7% would be a huge impact. It would eliminate a ton of buyers simply because they wouldn't be able to get approved at that high of a payment, that doesnt even factor in the people that would just make a choice to stay in their existing house. If you had a 200k house at 4% who the heck would want to move into a 250k home at 7%? 

People attempt to pack a week's worth of clothes into a carry on and then huddle around a gate for an hour before flights board instead of sitting comfortably, all to avoid paying a $25 checked bag fee that they still aren't used to paying from like a decade ago. Think it's a bit crazy to still attempt to portray current/rising mortgage rates in comparison to how high they went in the 70s and 80s.

Market is going to show Powell who is boss, some nice tanking getting ready to unfold in what should be an unpleasant game of chicken.

Everything selling in unison now - bonds, stocks, gold, oil... Only thing being bought is the dollar.

So evidently I missed the PEATF discussion. How do they compare to KBLT and are we still bullish on the latter?

And what's the deal with BKDCF?

TIA
BKDCF has been an absolute disaster.  Management over-promised and under-delivered.  I'm holding now because it's a nice tax asset for me, but I have lost all hope of this thing meeting deliverables.  Still think they have a wonderful technology and if you play fantasy baseball, you can do much worse than using their Breaking Data app to mine for the latest news, especially with regards to finding coveted closers.  Sorry I ever recommended this one.  :bag:

Peat Resources was a dead in the water shell company that will be essentially a reverse takeover by new management that did rounds of financing to raise capital to buy a property in the DRC that not only has cobalt/copper in the ground, but a giant pile of 'concessions' which is essential cast off rock from cooper mining over several years.  This rock has cobalt contained, but when prices were low, it wasn't worth processing.  Now it is and this new company (still called Peat, but will soon be changed to either Cobalt Blockchain or CoChain) will begin processing these concessions and estimates are they inherited potentially several thousand metric tonnes of cobalt  through this purchase.  Management also expects to use blockchain technology to prove that their cobalt material is brought to market conflict free, meaning not mined by child or slave labor.  But, we are way early in this movie, so a lot of things have to break right and management needs to demonstrate an ability to hit their marks, market effectively and not fall into the trap of so many other Canadian resource stocks where they drill holes, get results and do another equity raise, thus diluting share value.  They also need to manage their cash burn assiduously.  This is a long shot lottery ticket and I'd call it a gamble.  Since it's tripled over the last couple of weeks or so, I'd say watching it is more prudent than buying here, but YMMV.

KBLT is the closest thing we have to a pure play cobalt ETF.  KBLT owns over 2,900 metric tonnes of battery grade physical cobalt, already processed.   There is nothing else out there available that compares to KBLT.  Owning KBLT stock means you own physical, battery grade cobalt, much like you would if you bought GLD for gold or SLV for silver.  However, unlike those two, KBLT has cash and with that cash is looking to acquire royalty streams of cobalt from miners who need an infusion of cash, thus there is a component of KBLT that will be an operating company throwing off cash.  There is a chance that with these streams the company could pay shareholders a dividend, which would make it more attractive.  However, I would caution that currently, KBLT trades at a 25-30% premium to NAV, so keep that in mind.  

7% would be a huge impact. It would eliminate a ton of buyers simply because they wouldn't be able to get approved at that high of a payment, that doesnt even factor in the people that would just make a choice to stay in their existing house. If you had a 200k house at 4% who the heck would want to move into a 250k home at 7%? 
I agree.  Even an increase on a 30 year from 4 to 5% would have a large impact.  Every one percent is an extra 1,000 per year in interest per $100,000 in home value.  This is a short article that gives a couple brief points, from the obvious higher mortgage payment.  People are already having trouble with their mortgage payment at low rates, no way these people upgrade their house as their family gets larger if rates go up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/business/real-estate/amp/americans-who-can-t-afford-their-homes-146-percent-n774106

I thought I heard on CNBC the other day that for every one percent increase over the next couple percentage points lowers the buyer pool by about 20%. 

Users who are viewing this thread