Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

I want to make something clear.  I don't know where the stock is going in the short term--volatility works both ways.  I don't know how how committed to their short the sellers are.  However, I am going to buy more next week and in a selfish way, I hope I am able to buy lower.  That being said, I am confident in the long term future of the drug and will add regardless.  

However, I would caution people to not get overexposed to the position.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, General Malaise said:

@chet I checked the short interest on CYDY and note that it spiked from 118,706 shares short on Dec. 13, 2019 to 2.7 Million shares short on Dec. 31 and now to 3.6MM as of Jan 15.  Is this just opportunistic short selling or is the a good short case to be made on this one?

Ahhhhhh, now it makes more sense.  Bet the people behind the short report were the very same who caused the spike in shares short in such a quick period of time.  Scum bags.  Seen this movie before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Ahhhhhh, now it makes more sense.  Bet the people behind the short report were the very same who caused the spike in shares short in such a quick period of time.  Scum bags.  Seen this movie before. 

Anytime a stock goes up so much, there will always be naysayers.  I think it's healthy until they start lying and trying to manipulate the price.  TBH, I relish the day when they have to cover.  I AM LONG AND BUYING!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chet said:

Open a TD Ameritrade account, shoot the lock off your wallet, send some $$$ over and you can buy it.  Probably sell it short there too but I haven't looked.

ETA:  I can't imagine it's hard or expensive to borrow but again, I haven't checked.

What must the margin reqs be to sell an OTC short. 90%LTV? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, NajehHejan said:

Link? I can’t find this anywhere.

I gleaned this info from a comment in the Yahoo conversations about CYDY so make with it what you will. The comment was made by a poster who apparently listened to the conference call, which I did not.

"Did you even listen to the call before you started bashing. So the BLA is delayed, sh_t happens, especially when dealing with FDA. What I tuned into was the NDA in China. NDA for financing with reputable lender in US Talks developing in Europe. And above all, the cancer results don't lie. Go ahead and short or take your money and run But like Nader said, this is not a double or triple digit stock- give it time and patience and see if you trying to short for hundreds was worth missing out on many, many thousands."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I side with Musk in thinking shorting should be illegal. If you don’t like a stick, buy something else. Instead, as it is today, you buy short and start spreading misinformation and outright lies in an attempt to drive down a stock. 
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General question but what normally happens to casual investors who have shares of a company that is bought out?  I only have a couple thousand shares in CYDY but I see some here have quite a lot.  If the company is bought by a big biotech company, like Gilead for instance, what typically happens to the shares of investors?  TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jobber said:

I side with Musk in thinking shorting should be illegal. If you don’t like a stick, buy something else. Instead, as it is today, you buy short and start spreading misinformation and outright lies in an attempt to drive down a stock. 
 

Kinda par for the course with OTC stocks. 
Oh well. Stay Long!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jobber said:

I side with Musk in thinking shorting should be illegal. If you don’t like a stick, buy something else. Instead, as it is today, you buy short and start spreading misinformation and outright lies in an attempt to drive down a stock. 
 

Hold up....

I agree that there are disreputable people on both sides of the investment spectrum and that this "Culpepper Research" is beyond shady (there is literally nothing out there about them other than their suspect website) but making short selling illegal is a ridiculous and even dangerous idea.  It is THE riskiest way to try and turn a profit (not to mention expensive as the negative rebates can eat you alive) and very few can do it successfully over time (and the number of dedicated shorts has dwindled in this melt up).  That said, short sellers play an integral roll in markets, specifically when it comes to spotting frauds, cooked books and potential bubbles.  They can keep markets honest.  Shorts called the Enron fiasco, the tech bubble and most importantly the housing bubble and its toxic assets.  Don't forget that; that is critical to our history and the people screaming about it were right and should be treated accordingly.  

Pump and dump is akin to these shady short shops doing their thing, but to call for an outright ban on short selling is irresponsible and reeks of whining. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

General question but what normally happens to casual investors who have shares of a company that is bought out?  I only have a couple thousand shares in CYDY but I see some here have quite a lot.  If the company is bought by a big biotech company, like Gilead for instance, what typically happens to the shares of investors?  TIA

Depends on the terms of the deal,  but you usually wind up with the buying company's stock. So, if GILD agreed to pay 2.00 per share for CYDY, you'd get whatever that calculates to in GILD shares unless you sell. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Depends on the terms of the deal,  but you usually wind up with the buying company's stock. So, if GILD agreed to pay 2.00 per share for CYDY, you'd get whatever that calculates to in GILD shares unless you sell. 

You can also get cash and shares too.  Lotta different outcomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jobber said:

I side with Musk in thinking shorting should be illegal. If you don’t like a stick, buy something else. Instead, as it is today, you buy short and start spreading misinformation and outright lies in an attempt to drive down a stock. 
 

Because going long on a stock prevents you from talking it up?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Musk should concentrate more on the fundamentals of running a profitable company and less on the people betting against his bloated balance sheet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 5:22 PM, [icon] said:

It was a run 😢

So this is what it feels like to light a couple grand on 🔥

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoBirds said:

So this is what it feels like to light a couple grand on 🔥

You must not have kids

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is a looooong way off and we’ll have more info as the date gets closer, but what are you all planning to do with your money around the election? I’m thinking of putting it on the sideline until it’s over if it seems likely a D wins. I imagine a trump wins sends it soaring however. 
 

Nothing imminent just something I’ve been thinking about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Capella said:

So this is a looooong way off and we’ll have more info as the date gets closer, but what are you all planning to do with your money around the election? I’m thinking of putting it on the sideline until it’s over if it seems likely a D wins. I imagine a trump wins sends it soaring however. 
 

Nothing imminent just something I’ve been thinking about.  

Pretty sure market has priced in his easy victory.   The candidates on the other side suck and people think things are fine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Pretty sure market has priced in his easy victory.   The candidates on the other side suck and people think things are fine.  

Lol I don’t think we are anywhere near the market pricing in a victory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capella said:

Lol I don’t think we are anywhere near the market pricing in a victory. 

There is always the explanation that no matter who runs the country things work as they would have worked regardless.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, culdeus said:

There is always the explanation that no matter who runs the country things work as they would have worked regardless.   

Lol.   Love the avatar change Culdy.  Perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon over 2100 lets goooooooooooooo

Edited by Capella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The General said:

CYDY putting a hurting on me.

Whoa just looked at that. Yikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't call it that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Don't call it that.

Has it been here for years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CYDY today reminds me of college.  Puke and rally.  

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XPost: 
 

JP Morgan forecasting at 5.3% YOY contraction in Chinese Q1 GDP

Chinese food prices up 20% Jan 2020 YOY due in part to African Swine Flu 

 

At what point does this spill into our economy/markets? Seems wild that we're still steaming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

CYDY today reminds me of college.  Puke and rally.  

Or the college trips to the casino with your buddies and be down big and bet huge on one hand of blackjack and back to even!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

CYDY today reminds me of college.  Puke and rally.  

Certainly spiced up my hum-drum day. What a run into the green after the bloodbath this morning. I need a cigarette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, [icon] said:

JP Morgan forecasting at 5.3% YOY contraction in Chinese Q1 GDP

Chinese food prices up 20% Jan 2020 YOY due in part to African Swine Flu 

At what point does this spill into our economy/markets? Seems wild that we're still steaming. 

Good question.  Xi must be ####ting bricks over those kind of numbers.  It will spill over, but the markets are forward looking, so may look past this.  We'll see.

My TMF allocation is looking golden for the next bit, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Culdeus, market basically priced a Trump win in (or Bloomberg, market wouldn’t care between either of them) - the notion of Sanders not even a thought to the market at these prices (kind of agree and don’t think he has a real shot).

Bought more CYDY at .87 today. I’m done buying for now, good luck to us!

Thinking about adding to my gold hoard too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read through some of these comments and truly hope nobody has more than 5% (really 1-2% tops to be direct) of their wealth invested in CYDY... I’ve learned my lesson not following these rules.

This is the definition of speculation, don’t imagine Lambos while buying this, imagine how you’ll feel if this goes to zero, which is absolutely within the realm of possibilities.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I read through some of these comments and truly hope nobody has more than 5% (really 1-2% tops to be direct) of their wealth invested in CYDY... I’ve learned my lesson not following these rules.

This is the definition of speculation, don’t imagine Lambos while buying this, imagine how you’ll feel if this goes to zero, which is absolutely within the realm of possibilities.

 

Currently an RCH over 1% 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I read through some of these comments and truly hope nobody has more than 5% (really 1-2% tops to be direct) of their wealth invested in CYDY... I’ve learned my lesson not following these rules.

This is the definition of speculation, don’t imagine Lambos while buying this, imagine how you’ll feel if this goes to zero, which is absolutely within the realm of possibilities.

 

It’s about 50% of my investment portfolio (non 401 and 529).  But I’m just dipping my toes in, it’s a small portfolio and it all money I’m prepared to lose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I read through some of these comments and truly hope nobody has more than 5% (really 1-2% tops to be direct) of their wealth invested in CYDY... I’ve learned my lesson not following these rules.

This is the definition of speculation, don’t imagine Lambos while buying this, imagine how you’ll feel if this goes to zero, which is absolutely within the realm of possibilities.

 

I’m at about 2% so, ya, it’s all good. Now once it runs up, CYDY could represent more like 10% of my net worth which I could live with. 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still up my trade fee on CYDY. So there’s that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have about a quarter of my portfolio sitting on the sidelines in cash. I was planning to dump it across the three fund portfolio, but given the coronavirus and half of China shutting down, I am thinking about waiting a bit. That manufacturing and Chinese economy hit is going to to trickle through the world economy soon enough; no?  Won’t that cause markets to take a major hit if the virus situation remains the same or gets worse during the next few months?  I know you’re not supposed to try and time the market, but it sure seems like conditions are ripe for a small correction. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

I have about a quarter of my portfolio sitting on the sidelines in cash. I was planning to dump it across the three fund portfolio, but given the coronavirus and half of China shutting down, I am thinking about waiting a bit. That manufacturing and Chinese economy hit is going to to trickle through the world economy soon enough; no?  Won’t that cause markets to take a major hit if the virus situation remains the same or gets worse during the next few months?  I know you’re not supposed to try and time the market, but it sure seems like conditions are ripe for a small correction. 

I'm really worried they will start dumping bonds and all my bond funds just get slaughtered.  That's not a huge portion of the portfolio, but I feel exposed on both equity and bonds with this ####.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if everyone is home sick, they just keep bringing ####

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, culdeus said:

I'm really worried they will start dumping bonds and all my bond funds just get slaughtered.  That's not a huge portion of the portfolio, but I feel exposed on both equity and bonds with this ####.  

I feel like the only real risk with bonds is oversupply, and we aren't there... yet.

Rates need to stay low and the Fed has your back. If rates go up, defaults and systemic risk become a serious issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.