What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

Bob Sacamano said:
Why do you hate Cav?
Don't. My first post may have been a bit mean I guess, if you read it that way. When I saw that number and tied it to the thread about gambling behind his wife’s back (said she would be mad so obviously a problem before) and losing almost everything in the crypto thread, that amount did give me pause. I could be wrong and honestly at this point with two people saying to back off, I don’t care anymore. If it does well and he actually has that much he’ll have a nice pay day. I’ll be happy as well but if it bottoms out, not a big deal to me.

I'm only interested if it has a lap pool... Lap pool is a must for me!
I’ve got a big house with enough room for a lap pool. Even though I should have used your bagging on Shopify as my confirmation to invest, I’ll still let you crash if you sell your parking space and put in the lap pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got a big house with enough room for a lap pool. Even though I should have used your bagging on Shopify as my confirmation to invest, I’ll still let you crash if you sell your parking space and put in the lap pool.
Hey! FC and I were working out a deal and you come in here all Johnny come lately with your safe investing and big house.  Not cool buddy.  Now I’m going to have to defend the tunnel all by myself. 

Hey! FC and I were working out a deal and you come in here all Johnny come lately with your safe investing and big house.  Not cool buddy.  Now I’m going to have to defend the tunnel all by myself. 
I'll put the lap pool under the tunnel, but since I'm the proprietor of said lap pool, we split the security 80/20 instead of 50/50. 

On a stock related note, CNBC is going to need to hire new writers for their headlines. Every day for the last month:

[insert index here] Climbs Despite Coronavirus Worries... They really need something new. 

Don't. My first post may have been a bit mean I guess, if you read it that way. When I saw that number and tied it to the thread about gambling behind his wife’s back (said she would be mad so obviously a problem before) and losing almost everything in the crypto thread, that amount did give me pause. I could be wrong and honestly at this point with two people saying to back off, I don’t care anymore. If it does well and he actually has that much he’ll have a nice pay day. I’ll be happy as well but if it bottoms out, not a big deal to me.
You fell into the sarchasm.

On a stock related note, CNBC is going to need to hire new writers for their headlines. Every day for the last month:

[insert index here] Climbs Despite Coronavirus Worries... They really need something new. 
"Nuclear missiles exchanged between Iran and Israel.  World War III begins.  Stock Market rallys on reconstruction.  Home Builders Index to All-Time Highs."

STOP GOSSIPING. 

kevzilla said:
Placed a limit order for TVIX at $39.99. With 20% of my IRA.
Actually, actually true. Promptly fell out of bed and touched its 52-week low before lifting a little. Down 3.58% for the afternoon.  :lmao:

"Nuclear missiles exchanged between Iran and Israel.  World War III begins.  Stock Market rallys on reconstruction.  Home Builders Index to All-Time Highs."
Only one data point among many out there but read that Greek 10 year bond yields fell below 1%. A country that defaulted just a few years ago that still has a 16% unemployment rate in a “booming economy” can borrow cheaper than the US, makes tons of sense right?

I used to do pharma bus dev and valuation. Its so difficult to assess market value of these pre launch companies as they don't need to convince 50 companies they are worth $x billion, they just need to convince one. 

fantasycurse42 said:
Barrick Gold increases dividend, brings debt down to a little above $2B, it was around $12B in 2012. Symbol is GOLD if anyone is interested. Nice earnings this morning.
I mentioned them in this thread a couple of weeks ago. Them and FNV and NEM. 

Has been a really good group of gold investments for me lately. 

cosjobs said:
I'm generally strongly opposed to gossipng about other people in here. 

Also you have no idea what his percentage stake is. It could be less than yours.

General advice is great, targeting other posters with judgements, not so much
this.

As someone who's actually hung with Cav... 

From what I understand, He's got a pretty solid nest egg, as well as appetite for trolling and ####### with people. 

Cross posting this here:

Stupid question maybe:

If we’re confident that the market will continue to go up over the long haul, why shouldn’t I be putting all or a large chunk of my portfolio into an ETF like UDOW, Pro Shares Ultra Pro Dow 30, which tracks the Dow but gives you 3x the movement in either direction.  I look back just 10 years on that and if I got 15 or 20 years of that return before I retire, I’d retire a pretty wealthy dude. 

What am I missing here?  Why doesn’t everyone do this?

Cross posting this here:

Stupid question maybe:

If we’re confident that the market will continue to go up over the long haul, why shouldn’t I be putting all or a large chunk of my portfolio into an ETF like UDOW, Pro Shares Ultra Pro Dow 30, which tracks the Dow but gives you 3x the movement in either direction.  I look back just 10 years on that and if I got 15 or 20 years of that return before I retire, I’d retire a pretty wealthy dude. 

What am I missing here?  Why doesn’t everyone do this?
20% corrections are not uncommon, let's say the market takes a 30% downturn, how would you feel turning on CNBC watching the market go down like this and losing most of your portfolio?  Sure there's the potential for big gains and maybe it would even work out for you but would big gains really change your life that much?  What about big losses?

Sand said:
Really tough.  Alternative energy growth rates are down, but energy demand is still increasing.  Yet we have huge pawns all over the board moving with respect to oil prices, which makes it incredibly hard to see where that market is going.  XOM is pretty debt heavy and RDS has a massive debt load (right there with T in the "oh crap" pile).  CVX has been driving theirs down (I own a decent bit of CVX). 

Honestly, my little personal perspective - right now great swing trade.  I think oil companies will reflate after the virus item.  Once CVX hits 120+ again I'm selling and waiting until it drops near 110 to buy again.  I see a lot of yo-yo in this market continuing.  
Just a public service announcement that RBS B is going ex-dividend today (and markets are getting beat up) so the share price will drop a nice chunk. Anyone wanting to buy would be getting a near 52-week low price.

Elon Musk on the last earnings call two weeks ago when asked why he doesn't raise capital now with the stock price being so high.

So -- but we're spending money I think efficiently and we're not artificially limiting our progress. And then despite all that we are still generating positive cash. So in light of that, it doesn't make sense to raise money because we expect to generate cash despite this growth level.
Tesla today

Tesla Inc said on Thursday it plans to raise $2 billion by selling shares through a public offering.
I honestly don't see how anyone can feel comfortable investing in this company. I'm sure the cars are great and all that, but when I think of Musk, I don't think, "Responsible, honest financial steward."

I honestly don't see how anyone can feel comfortable investing in this company. I'm sure the cars are great and all that, but when I think of Musk, I don't think, "Responsible, honest financial steward."
Yet if I was running that place I would have done the same thing - an opportunity to raise capital doesn't come around like this very often.  After going parabolic the valuation was insanely high, so a perfect time to issue shares.

Yet if I was running that place I would have done the same thing - an opportunity to raise capital doesn't come around like this very often.  After going parabolic the valuation was insanely high, so a perfect time to issue shares.
Totally. It's just the complete about-face in two weeks, like he ended the conference call and said, "That analyst guy had a great idea!"

Just a public service announcement that RBS B is going ex-dividend today (and markets are getting beat up) so the share price will drop a nice chunk. Anyone wanting to buy would be getting a near 52-week low price.
Looking at getting into a small oil play at these levels. Why is RBS B so much more beaten up in the last year than CVX or XOM? The dividend is 7.28% compared to 4.61 and 5.73. Obviously, they have better fundamentals, but that's a really sizable difference in the dividend. 

25 yard or 50?  50s are the shizzle.
Well we are on a hill, which is great for the backyard patio and screened porch. Very private and lots of trees behind us. I actually sent @Otis picks of my fireplace/built in bar and grill when he was doing his.

Anyway, as long as you don’t mind swimming up hill a bit, we could probably fit a 25 yard one. 50 would be tough unless we made it U shaped. I guess with a ladder between, it’s more of a slide than a lap pool, but maybe that’s more fun.

Elon Musk on the last earnings call two weeks ago when asked why he doesn't raise capital now with the stock price being so high.

Tesla today

TSLA is a stock that would worry me. Something like this dilutes the shares. There’s no ifs ands or buts about it. It does.shares started down like 4% and now they’re up almost 3%. That makes no sense. An offering like this makes shares worth less. Oh well, wish I bought some before the Q3 earnings but this run up is a bit much and days like this make you realize it’s not working right.

Yup—and thats exactly why this market is marching on very scary territory. 
Honestly, that’s why I really do like individual stocks. Everything gets hit when things go down, but when you know something is growing by leaps and bounds, the stock upswing is warranted. The stocks that should worry people are the ones getting lifted because of the rising tide not their own fundamentals.

Totally. It's just the complete about-face in two weeks, like he ended the conference call and said, "That analyst guy had a great idea!"
I understand doing it but amazing that the stock is up a bunch today after opening well down. It makes sense but it is the company basically admitting that it’s a great price level to do an offering, i.e. we didn’t think the stock would be or should be at this price.

For those of you using Fidelity, be careful if you ever change the way your dividends are invested. I attempted to change one position to reinvest in the security, and I apparently changed them all on accident. So, more AAPL for me today. Yay!

For those of you using Fidelity, be careful if you ever change the way your dividends are invested. I attempted to change one position to reinvest in the security, and I apparently changed them all on accident. So, more AAPL for me today. Yay!
I turned off all automatic reinvestments as soon as trade commissions went to zero. 

I'm looking at $42.50 puts on YUMC for 16 cents dated next Friday, thoughts, anyone?

This is a pure gamble, the opposite of an investment... I just like the odds.

TSLA is a stock that would worry me. Something like this dilutes the shares. There’s no ifs ands or buts about it. It does.shares started down like 4% and now they’re up almost 3%. That makes no sense. An offering like this makes shares worth less. Oh well, wish I bought some before the Q3 earnings but this run up is a bit much and days like this make you realize it’s not working right.
If my math is correct (remember, I'm a marketing major), the dilution was about 2%  If the only reason it dropped by 4%, then that was a buying opportunity.  My uneducated thoughts on TSLA (I own zero shares at this time) is that in the long run it should be a good investment.  I see Tesla as an aspirational product, much like Apple.  More and more people are jonesing to buy the vehicles vs other brands--gas or electric.  I would not buy TSLA at this level, but I'm hoping for a big pullback to start investing in TSLA. 

Because of the KFC worker with coronavirus?
I find the spike in deaths highly suspicious... They can try to justify the spike in cases as a reclassification, but you can't use the same logic in deaths. It's possible we find out more in the coming days... If something was to get shredded, feels like this is a good spot to place some chips. This is more of a wager, but I'm going to put like $500 that I'm okay to lose and take a swing on like 30 puts. 

:popcorn: .  When siffoin talks, I listen.  I don't understand what he's saying, but it does get my attention.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  It's a "process".  I will say this - pulling out 30 year old charts and the market has never been this over-extended - not even close.  1999 looks reasonable to what I'm seeing today.  I see 2 possibilities.

1) We're in a new paradigm and this time it's different. Or

2) The market is in a position to where price and value are not in line...and price will begin to move back towards more reasonable valuation.

I'm BEGINNING to adjust.  The market is still bullish...it's just wildly over-extended.  Maybe we just continue to go up and up and up.  But don't be surprised if it doesn't.  I'm $GYPR(ing).

Listening to the advice here...Just sold my $22 share FB and $8 BAC.  Moved a little Amazon.  Dumped half of my mutual funds.  Gonna ride my Chevron, GE, and Exxon to $0.

Thanks to whoever tipped me on AKBA.  Not even sure what it is, but it's 3x in 1.5 years.

Remember Paragon and Star Bulk?  Not fun looking at those or AGFEED overtime I log in.

S&P 500 and Nasdaq hit fresh record highs in comeback from coronavirus slide

ETA:

Starting to think this Coronavirus is good for the market.

Users who are viewing this thread