What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

Gold getting killed today too. Figure some combination of a search for liquidity and diminished demand for luxury goods.
I didnt see that coming--nor did I see it with silver. I've been buying both for a few years--and luckily-I'm still looking really good with my average buy ins--but dang--you know things are bad when the safe havens are dropping as bad as the markets. 

Hope we rally today, I'll free up some cash... I do not want to be holding when our administration gets their head of their ### and starts a more South Korea testing approach to contain the spread.

It's only a matter of time until clusters start popping up here, and that my friends is when the other shoe drops. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope we rally today... I do not want to be holding when our administration gets their head of their ### and starts a more South Korea approach to contain the spread.

It's only a matter of time until clusters start popping up here, and that my friends is when the other shoe drops. 
Clusters are already here.  Testing has not been.

Testing will confirm that clusters have been here.  As we improve our testing capabilities, we'll get a better idea of where we are...hopefully not too late to do anything about it, but at this point it's a crapshoot.

Clusters are already here.  Testing has not been.

Testing will confirm that clusters have been here.  As we improve our testing capabilities, we'll get a better idea of where we are...hopefully not too late to do anything about it, but at this point it's a crapshoot.
We need some high ranking smart people in South Korea to understand how and what they've done to get so efficient at testing... We need to do this now. The longer it takes to get proper testing measures in place, the worse this will be. 

STWD is something that has been on my list. Great dividend, and as far as I can tell, great balance sheet. 

Thinking about 50-100 shares a week on this one, DCA and try to protect myself. 

I'd also highly caution anyone on getting sucked into any rally right now. I'd actually use any rally to free up cash from less desirable positions.

I didnt see that coming--nor did I see it with silver. I've been buying both for a few years--and luckily-I'm still looking really good with my average buy ins--but dang--you know things are bad when the safe havens are dropping as bad as the markets. 
Yeah, my only exposure for years has been metals. Missed all the run up, now the safe haven is getting hammered too. I'm thinking about putting some $ into REIT"s though at these levels, maybe moving 15-20% of my cash back in. 

The government is taking this much more serious than maybe they are letting on. :ph34r:
Good to see you Bob, what do you mean by this?
I don't feel comfortable going into exact details even though I just sent an e-mail to about a thousand people going into details.  Let me put it this way, if you have an opportunity to buy hand sanitizer, disinfectant, masks, etc., do it, because you're not going to be able to for a LONG time.

ETA bolded

and thanks GB

I don't feel comfortable going into exact details even though I just sent an e-mail to about a thousand people going into details.  Let me put it this way, if you have an opportunity to buy hand sanitizer, disinfectant, masks, etc., do it.

ETA

and thanks GB
Personally or stocks of makers of this stuff?

Added some to my target date Vanguard earlier. 

Probably early to jump back in but we are on sale from last week. 

STWD is something that has been on my list. Great dividend, and as far as I can tell, great balance sheet. 

Thinking about 50-100 shares a week on this one, DCA and try to protect myself. 
Yeah, I've been looking at that too. Great long term, but short term their earnings are going to be whacked hard. 

I struggle to think of any reason to buy into the weekend. Like the all clear isn't coming anytime soon, certainly not in the next two days. It is going to get worse before better.
I think you are probably right. I will probably still buy some as I always try to average in and who knows what happens. I think we will have some problems for awhile though, even once it passes earnings are going to be rough. 

I understand the "Tax hit" ... and I'm willing to take that this year. Won't we all have to pay the taxes on our gains sooner or later?

I'll pay them now ... and save $50k (or more?) in stock losses.

Nothing preventing me from getting back in once this carp blows over in several months.

Not thinking I'll miss the recovery unless I'm struck by the Kung-Fu Flu when it happens.

... and no, I didn't touch my retirement investments either. 
My wife and I both work so that’s a 20-25% difference in gains. Basically, my stocks can go down 20-25% and if I wait a year from purchase I’m at the same result.

I’m willing to wait it out and buy some bargains whether through DCA or my cash, which was about 15% when this started. I’m up my purchases yesterday and actually I’m up 1% overall today. For instance, my second biggest holding had gotten whacked but it was still up 50% since October and after earnings is up 10% today. It’s highest growth area is tied to Internet TV so it actually may do better. My ZM is off today, but it’s still up 60-70% over the same period and it’s for avoiding travel which is why it’s up since the #### hit the fan. Lots of different circumstances but if I’m OK with my stock now, I’ll ride it out and add more to new ones I like at a nice discount. I’m not buying beaten down stocks that could implode if more #### hits the fan.

I think you are probably right. I will probably still buy some as I always try to average in and who knows what happens. I think we will have some problems for awhile though, even once it passes earnings are going to be rough. 
I want to dip my toes in so badly. 

From Adam Mancini: Will be watching for a reclaim of 2920 in $SPX as a counter-trend opp back to 2960-70 at least. What the first relief bounce looks like is key for the coming months. Any weak bounce that can't reclaim last Octobers highs highs at 3020 may setup a bear flag for another leg down. 

This run for bonds $TLT has been fantastic and its one of the few markets still green and doing its job as a safe haven asset. TLT decisively cleared its prior ATH. It will likely pull back during $SPX's inevitable relief rally and that should be a buy for further upside to 160

I should have stayed in my TLT like funds. I will buy it again if the above materializes.

Just now: The day isn't over, but if $SPX can close near the highs today and above 2920 in particular it would be putting in a daily hammer candle right off the support trendline shown in the below chart. If so,it sets up a good pop higher to 3020 to backtest some of the levels we took out.

I struggle to think of any reason to buy into the weekend. Like the all clear isn't coming anytime soon, certainly not in the next two days. It is going to get worse before better.
Only if people catch the equally virulent FOMO. I know that I heard AAPL reversed direction and my first thought was to buy. If folks are sitting on cash, we could see some thrown at it by end of day. But I agree that downside is more likely.

I want to dip my toes in so badly. 
Me too and my original plan was to re-evaluate closer to the election.  You're not supposed to time the market but I moved everything in my 401K and Mrs. SLB's 401k to a fixed bond fund less than two weeks ago.  Pretty good timing but it wasn't just a gut feeling. 

As I previously posted here moved a substantial part of my IRA to fixed, what 6-7 months ago? Maybe longer?  Still had some massive gains since in the last 12 months.  Also have been accumulating my boys money for them waiting for something like this.  I'm thinking more Disney for them.

GL all.

hey guys question: last week before the market tank I initiated a 401k rollover to my new employer.  the check has not yet arrived to the new bank.  any recommendations on what to invest in since we are in this strange situation? looking high level recommendations.

hey guys question: last week before the market tank I initiated a 401k rollover to my new employer.  the check has not yet arrived to the new bank.  any recommendations on what to invest in since we are in this strange situation? looking high level recommendations.
Are wheatpennies a etf in your 401k?

This is the strangest recession to buy back into.   It's not like you can just go buy walmart and dollar stores and crawl under your desk.

This is the strangest recession to buy back into.   It's not like you can just go buy walmart and dollar stores and crawl under your desk.
Do you think that is definitely the outcome? You have to think we lose containment to get to a recession, right?

ETA:

FWIW, I think we already lost containment. 

Do you think that is definitely the outcome? You have to think we lose containment to get to a recession, right?
Goldman projecting 0 growth for 2020 when we don't even know the outcome of the virus yet has me leaning towards that, yes.  Is it avoidable, probably.  I'm thinking it looks more like 2001.

Travel/touristy stocks are a hard avoid. I knew about this for a while, but then again one of my huge clients sends me corporate emails and it said the same thing. Even my smallish company already sent the same. If this wasn’t Amazon it wouldn’t be news because it’s pretty much everywhere. That’s why ZM (until today some profit taking) has been on a year.

TTD actually has me up today. Up well over $10k on it alone. 

There are so many industries and events that could be impacted. The cruise industry is big in south Florida, where 2 of the 3 largest cruise terminals are located. I have plans to go to an education conference in Orlando next week - the organizers opened up registration again after closing it lasst week - not sure if that was due to cancellations. I'm driving to the meeting, which reduces exposure compared to flying from a crowded airport in an enclosed plane. My oldest daughter is graduating in June in Boston - by them I hope we'll know more about the spread of the virus. The education industry could be directly affected. In Miami-Dade public schools, they're placing hand sanitizers in all rooms, even for kindergarten students.

Goldman projecting 0 growth for 2020 when we don't even know the outcome of the virus yet has me leaning towards that, yes.  Is it avoidable, probably.  I'm thinking it looks more like 2001.
My gut says yes on a recession too, it'll obviously be global so I'm conflicted on my feelings. Feels like businesses are in a remotely good place heading in, so that gives me confidence it should be mild. With that said, the Fed is in an awful spot; they're balance sheet is bloated (basically ATH) and they've got 150 points to play with, more than 2/3 less than they've had in the past. 

Relatively strong businesses and consumers, terribly weak Fed. Not sure what that equals... I know there is more QE coming, so I'll stick with gold, but need to try and figure out which businesses will come out the strongest.

Cross post but my company (EU based - 150K Employees) Just made a similar call today.

Cancel everything. 

Short Airlines & Hotels or too late? :unsure:
I for the life of me can't figure out the movement of UAL.

They were the first to get hit, but this week, they've been trading in the same area as the overall market. These stocks should be getting gutted much worse, so I lean yes on the short.

Wow, this could be some amazing timing.

Marriott is shockingly holding up.  I don't get it.
Outside of people thinking government stimulus is coming, I've got nothing on any travel related stocks holding up. RCL as an example is down about 31% since 2/12, so maybe the market thinks the worst is behind for them, idk... Stock is up 3% today :lmao:

If this spreads, I don't see a recovery for that industry for 12-24 months minimum. I'd think there is still plenty of downside left. 

Users who are viewing this thread