What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (22 Viewers)

Loved today and I get that the drop was so precipitous that long term things are great buys but don’t see how things are returning to normal so fast and today seems like a mirage. 

In the real world events are getting cancelled, people are getting prepped to hole up if anyone gets sick in their office, people being told to stay home for 2 weeks if they get sick, etc.
Stock price is as much about public perception as it is reality.  

not according to the stock bounce today
That’s why I don’t get it. Cases going up, virus everywhere now, companies with all these events cancelling, businesses telling people to stay home for weeks if they get sick, China factory output way down.

I have years to retire and have been buying Apple, Berkshire B, the whole way down so I don’t really care but stock market is just a ridiculous measure for me at this point. 

That wont happen.  The virus is clearly here—but there is still a large portion of the population that is dismissive about it. It’s a weird phenomenon.  Pence mentioned something like 15k test kits followed by 50k test kits—and for me personally—those numbers are laughably low.    Even at 65k  test kits—thats like an average of 1300 per state.   We won’t know the full extent of how bad this thing is because our system doesnt want us to know.   
Who’s making those test kits? I want that stock. 

@Whyatt seems genuine and has said he's employed by big pharma but as far as I can tell, he's not a scientist.  He's alluding to the fact that Merck announced today that Keytruda met some end points and he's implying that it could be bad for CYDY's cancer aspirations.  Keytruda is projected to generate $22BB in 2022 and deals with only cancers that express PD-L1.  Our scientists are well aware of the drug and its intended uses and they believe Lironlimab and Keytruda are complementary.

I will say that if new patients continue to respond similarly to those detailed in today's PR, the FDA won't be able to ignore the data.
Thanks Chet. Merck had 2 releases today, this link addresses it. I’ve mentioned competition in HIV in an earlier post. I understand the press release isn’t much to go on. 

https://investorplace.com/2020/03/dow-jones-today-5-stocks-stole-the-show-and-rose-more-than-5/

That’s why I don’t get it. Cases going up, virus everywhere now, companies with all these events cancelling, businesses telling people to stay home for weeks if they get sick, China factory output way down.

I have years to retire and have been buying Apple, Berkshire B, the whole way down so I don’t really care but stock market is just a ridiculous measure for me at this point. 
you said the perception is bad, it's not... you misjudged the public perception.  Your perception is not in line with the stock purchasing public's.  Regardless of the facts.

- spread slowing in china

- vaccine in a year

- symptoms mostly minor, except with elderly that don't impact economy much anyhow

- could die out in warmer weather

- Fed aggressively addressing

These are all reasons stock buyer guy/company may be more bullish than you.  Not saying it's right or wrong.

you said the perception is bad, it's not... you misjudged the public perception.  Your perception is not in line with the stock purchasing public's.  Regardless of the facts.

- spread slowing in china

- vaccine in a year

- symptoms mostly minor, except with elderly that don't impact economy much anyhow

- could die out in warmer weather

- Fed aggressively addressing

These are all reasons stock buyer guy/company may be more bullish than you.  Not saying it's right or wrong.
Those are all fair points but all that information was there when the thing tanked last week. 

When the thing ####s the bed tomorrow all of a sudden the markets are bad again. Not listening to anyone who says they know what the hell is going on :lol:  

Stock market in last week is some 3 card monte stuff driven by algorithms. As always it’s legalized gambling. 

I’ll just keep buying every 2 weeks and occasionally get the lucky purchase here and there and hope for this CYDY one to go to 50 then I’ll close up shop.

Those are all fair points but all that information was there when the thing tanked last week. 

When the thing ####s the bed tomorrow all of a sudden the markets are bad again. Not listening to anyone who says they know what the hell is going on :lol:  

Stock market in last week is some 3 card monte stuff driven by algorithms. As always it’s legalized gambling. 

I’ll just keep buying every 2 weeks and occasionally get the lucky purchase here and there and hope for this CYDY one to go to 50 then I’ll close up shop.
buy low, sell high has always been my advice...knowing what is high and low is the trick.

So what are we looking at here.  Market rides high tomorrow with everyone under the sun endorsing Biden, then another bad day on Wednesday after Bernie crushes super Tuesday?

Easy peasy, right?

Down all day on the biggest up day in the history of the market...how can you continue to use them.
It's so user friendly.

But yea I'm probably out after today.  Luckily I had other places I could buy but I feel bad for folks that needed to sell something off on RH, which seems to include about 90% of wsb.

So we are opening up, huh? 😂 

I think I'm dumping about half my remaining holdings (QQQ/SPY) and getting on the sidelines. 

Pop gets newsletters from his investment firm silverleafe. They have an RPI (recession probability indicator) that's blinking. 

Here are the instances since 1960 where it was at this level, and the 6/12mo outcomes. 

Not claiming it as gospel, just presenting for discussion 

As a former owner of INO, Be careful with this one. Seemed like a scam co. To me. Pumps on every health crisis and to this point has never delivered.
Yes I just read something similar — believe it was in this very thread. Might let it run and dump it off. Only have a few hundred shares. 

Traditional thinking had me questioning why you would cuts rates with a good economy, and now even more with this emergency fed rate cut and not wait until the CV all clear.  But, these haven't been traditional markets.  Can anyone smarter than me help explain why this might be a good thing to do now and not wait at least a few more months? 

Let me try to help save some of you money, follow along:

The economy has been held up by the consumer, are we all in agreement there? 

If yes, do we anticipate the consumer getting stronger or weaker? Do we anticipate the consumer spending more or less? Are there way too many unknowns? 

This rate cut was poorly timed and shows how incompetent the Fed is... We're gonna need those few remaining cuts they have. Inept Fed, inept CDC, inept WH. 

Unlike the Fed, I'm saving my bullets for the real panic. I can't see any urgency to buy right now, like zero reason... The market is down 9% from frothy levels in the face of a possible pandemic, is that a good reason to buy?

ETA: There will be a time to buy, it simply isn't now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply put, I buy when I anticipate growth, not a massive slowdown. Dow e anticipate growth or a slowdown right now? If your answer is growth, I'm interested in the reasoning.

But now that the already cheap and abundant money is even cheaper, I'll be sure to expose myself to getting sick, well done Fed. 

This move is more symbolic than anything to me, but really screams of panic. 

And Expedia, SHAK, Micron... Feel like that is an excellent basket of stocks to avoid right now, we'll see.

Need to find a few more before it is too late. 

I sold that initial spike pretty hard. Yesterday was buying the rumor and technical rally, today we're selling the news. If Bernie is majorly triumphant today, the ingredients for a follow-up panic are set. Combine that with us actually taking our heads out of the sand and realizing the issue we're facing; goodnight stock market. 

I sold that initial spike pretty hard. Yesterday was buying the rumor and technical rally, today we're selling the news. If Bernie is majorly triumphant today, the ingredients for a follow-up panic are set. Combine that with us actually taking our heads out of the sand and realizing the issue we're facing; goodnight stock market. 
That was what I was thinking.

We haven't even seen panic selling. Panic selling, everyone runs screaming from everything, including MSFT, AMZN and AAPL. MSFT is off 19% but that is from nosebleed levels. That's the same amount it sold off in the 2018-2019 selloff and that was simply a head fake due to the fed doing what they should have done and he market crying about it. 

You know who does the best in massive slowdowns and quarantines? Luxury auto manufacturers! I expect everyone to buy a Tesla in the next year, and sine they're only priced for perfection throughout 2030, now is a great time to get on the bandwagon.

I'd like to interact with anyone who was panic buying at the close yesterday (through a partition) and ask them wtf was going through their head.

• Laughing
Reactions: jwp
I'm only short 10 shares of Tesla, it was strictly symbolic that I added it to my short portfolio (sort of like a rate cut to the market), but they're still up 2%... Perhaps they're working on a vaccine :lmao:  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread