What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

####. Just looking at the market. Nice work all on this. Had to do a double take seeing my portfolio up meaningfully despite the market overall being in the red. 

Do we sit and HODL?  Sell?  I missed the peak....
Nice pop, I wonder if I need not be greedy and get out ahead on this one......assuming it doesn't drop back by end of day when I have a chance to trade. 

####. Just looking at the market. Nice work all on this. Had to do a double take seeing my portfolio up meaningfully despite the market overall being in the red. 

Do we sit and HODL?  Sell?  I missed the peak....
It's not wrong to take some profit but I am holding.

Open at 2.25, jump to 3, back down to 2 at end of the day cause people took profits?
Well, I sorta called this.  I didnt expect it all to happen in 15 minutes though.

Anyway, since I am new to this, how often does this happen with a stock where it shots up overnight, another 50% in like 10 minutes, then back down to near the open price within another 10 minutes?

Did the shorts at 3.50 even have time to put in an order?

Last edited by a moderator:
What means this? 
They have one more hurdle before the FDA approves the drug for HIV combination use--the BLA submission.  It's been long delayed primarily (I think) because the FDA keeps asking for more/different info.  Many have speculated the reasons why but more than likely, it will be submitted sometime in April--hopefully before the middle of the month.  

Well, I sorta called this.  I didnt expect it all to happen in 15 minutes though.

Anyway, since I am new to this, how often does this happen with a stock where it shots up overnight, another 50% in like 10 minutes, then back down to near the open price within another 10 minutes?
This is a OTC security, not a SP500 stock.

There are other catalysts too--more +ve results from the 10+ patients and FDA giving green light for phase 2 COVID-19 trials.
Keep the news coming. Not insider level but CYDY is obviously not a well covered stock so there’s plenty of time to get ahead of a pop just because mainstream isn’t reading the articles you post before we do.

I really enjoy doing this day trading thing at an amateur level. I know it's dumb but it scratches my gambling itch. I feel others here play it that way as well. If you can afford it it's kind of a fun thing to mess around with.

Just so I'm not doing this wrong is everyone here a registered day trader? Should I even worry about it?
Any help on this guys? I feel like I'm missing something. Either no one is concerned with this or everyone is classified as a "day trader".  

Thanks

SOme crap is going on with fidelity where it wasnt letting me sell.  Tried at like 2.75  I am royally pissed.  It days I dont have enough shares, but my account shows 1000 shares.  I was trying to sell 1000.  Tried like 4 times.  What the everloving ####

Real glad I made ####### ZERO on that ####.  Thanks fidelity
limit or market? 

On a volatile stock Limit orders are usually a waste of time

DO you have open orders?

So with all the airlines and BA tanking, the market assuming all the restrictions will last much longer than they initially expected?  Same with stuff like MGM, CCL, BLMN all down.  ANything that requires people getting together it seems

Any help on this guys? I feel like I'm missing something. Either no one is concerned with this or everyone is classified as a "day trader".  

Thanks
I'm not a registered day trader (don't know what that is?). I assume 2/3 to 3/4 of this thread are individuals managing their own finances, not industry professionals. 

That said we are lucky enough to have quite a few pros in our midst as well. 

At least I get to be the only person in this thread to LOSE money on CYDY today.  So I got that goin for me.

Yes Cosjobs I had an open order to sell at a higher price that I forgot to cancel.  Live and learn.  

Did BAD news come out or something?

• Sad
Reactions: One
limit or market? 

On a volatile stock Limit orders are usually a waste of time

DO you have open orders?
This was infuriating.  I've been trying to sell half my CYDY since it was at $2.60, so I'd be rolling with house money.  Well the gosh darn Merrill app won't let me sell more than 5k shares because it's a penny stock, and also won't let me sell the gDARN thing at market price.  And every time I set a limit it keeps dropping down down down and doesn't sell.  and now we're under 2 bucks.  Stupid penny stox. 

No borrow available on this one through Jeffries, which is what I suspected.  Seems like a lot of shares short on this one, but have to imagine a lot of covering happened earlier.

At least I get to be the only person in this thread to LOSE money on CYDY today.  So I got that goin for me.

Yes Cosjobs I had an open order to sell at a higher price that I forgot to cancel.  Live and learn.  

Did BAD news come out or something?
Ouch. 

Penny stocks are incredibly volatile... up and down. They are the stock market on meth.  Downward pressure can come from many things. News. Shorts. Profit taking. Momentum. Fear. 

This was infuriating.  I've been trying to sell half my CYDY since it was at $2.60, so I'd be rolling with house money.  Well the gosh darn Merrill app won't let me sell more than 5k shares because it's a penny stock, and also won't let me sell the gDARN thing at market price.  And every time I set a limit it keeps dropping down down down and doesn't sell.  and now we're under 2 bucks.  Stupid penny stox. 
Fidelity

Looks like the markets shook out a lot of people Friday in the last 1/2 hour. Everyone is saying retest so odds are we don't since the market usually does the opposite of what the consensus is. Also Goldman Sucks is recommending not to buy....which is a buy confirmation.
Going to have to disagree. I do believe we will have some form of a retest. And if we don’t.....awesome. I am good with that.

But again, we are in a bear market right now and also about to enter a moderate recession. The market is going to be very news sensitive over the next two weeks easy. And as job losses continue to mount, and the personal and business bankruptcies start becoming evident here and soon, the market will leg down. Maybe not to the March 23rd low......but at least close to it.

Either way I am 85-88% invested. So I do not care either way. But I have some cash sitting around and want to see a bloody day again to put it to work. Again IMO if you missed buying on the 16th, 18th and 23rd let that be a valuable lesson that you really need to be greedy when people are very afraid. Time tested and true long term strategy. Compliments of the great Warren Buffett. 

So with all the airlines and BA tanking, the market assuming all the restrictions will last much longer than they initially expected?  Same with stuff like MGM, CCL, BLMN all down.  ANything that requires people getting together it seems
Stay the course with BA, MGM and BLMN. 

Not concerned in the least bit.  I am not day trading nor a day trader, so take that for what it is worth. 

I sure did.  Been predicting there will be no NFL this year
I will take that bet. There will be an NFL this year as well as MLB and NBA/NHL post season. Whether there will be great attendance.....who the hell knows. But those seasons are happening at some point. 

Going to have to disagree. I do believe we will have some form of a retest. And if we don’t.....awesome. I am good with that.

But again, we are in a bear market right now and also about to enter a moderate recession. The market is going to be very news sensitive over the next two weeks easy. And as job losses continue to mount, and the personal and business bankruptcies start becoming evident here and soon, the market will leg down. Maybe not to the March 23rd low......but at least close to it.

Either way I am 85-88% invested. So I do not care either way. But I have some cash sitting around and want to see a bloody day again to put it to work. Again IMO if you missed buying on the 16th, 18th and 23rd let that be a valuable lesson that you really need to be greedy when people are very afraid. Time tested and true long term strategy. Compliments of the great Warren Buffett. 
3/18 buyer, good, only bought in for a small fraction of my cash, bad.

GLPI just purchased the Tropicana Las Vegas from Penn for less than Penn paid for it in 2015. 

12 month price target on GLPI is around $35 for me. Rock solid balance sheet. 
Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

GLPI just popped.  Seems like some of your other recommendations have better potential to pop.

If our firm wanted to short this stock right now, we couldn't.  You have to first secure a borrow from stock loan and they don't have any available.  You can see the progression of the number of shares short in this one here.  On Dec. 13th, there were only 118K Shares short on this one.  Last report I see is 5.4MM shares short as of 3/13/20.  So, there is a lot of downward pressure on this one and I don't expect that to really change too much.  Penny stocks are a favorite of the vultures as they are easy prey.  They are probably writing hit pieces on the stock now pooh-poohing the recent good news and will release these reports on Twitter or financial website.  

Is it time to revisit the airlines?  They have drifted down to where they were 2 weeks ago except for UAL.

Made a nice profit on them last time.  Any of them at risk to go belly up?

Are you already in on them or buying GLPI now?  I haven't jumped in yet in them. 
Been in GLPI at a cost basis average of 18 and change. Fully positioned in that, BLMN, BA and MGM.

The master list I posted we are in all of those (my accounts and all my clients) since between those three days I mentioned (3/16, 3/18 and 3/23). When I block trade I can buy the same day as my clients. So we were doing massive block trades across all accounts getting the same exact price execution. 

I am not buying MGM and BLMN for everyone. Too speculative for most of my clients. 

We added MGM and BLMN this past Friday in my personal account only. 

We are only sitting on 12% cash now across the board so we are at the last leg of buying into this downturn so I am being very patient for a blood on the streets type of day/days to deploy the rest.

Is it time to revisit the airlines?  They have drifted down to where they were 2 weeks ago except for UAL.

I was looking at spirit this morning, I’m still hesitant with them though.

The only one I have any interest in is DAL (Delta). 

SAVE is also quite interesting but DAL has the very best balance sheet. Still have not even nibbled into that or CCL. Too much headwinds here right now to have any confidence the stockholders are a priority (which they usually never are). 

Pure gambling money for those two stocks for me. You have to be willing to lose it all if you buy an airline or cruiseline here.

I always preferred LUV, one of the first stocks I ever bought when I first got a job.  Sentimental I'm sure but they are actually up today and a good bit off their lows.
They have a great culture. I am personally a Jetblue guy when I fly.....love that airlines. I hope they make it. 

The only one I have any interest in is DAL (Delta). 

SAVE is also quite interesting but DAL has the very best balance sheet. Still have not even nibbled into that or CCL. Too much headwinds here right now to have any confidence the stockholders are a priority (which they usually never are). 

Pure gambling money for those two stocks for me. You have to be willing to lose it all if you buy an airline or cruiseline here.
Do you have a buy target price for DAL? 

I just can't shake the thought that this doesn't apply to all of us. Sorry to beat a dead horse. 

Pattern Day Traders

Investors who regularly engage in day trading may be considered "pattern day traders." According to the SEC, a pattern day trader executes four or more day trades within five business days, with day trades accounting for more than 6 percent of the customer’s total trades for that period. Pattern day traders must maintain a minimum account balance of $25,000 and can trade only in margin accounts. Margin accounts let traders borrow money to invest, which increases risk and potential losses.

Users who are viewing this thread