What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

lod001 said:
End of day, pretty much par for the course, huh? 2630 appears to be the next stop if we fail here.
Interesting close - definitely some big bulk selling at the end.

i opened up a SPXU posistion earlier today and added at the close.  

I hate to put it in the hands of the overnight Gods but I’m betting (and it is a gamble) the break of 2750 takes us to 2630.  

Not a long teem hold, obviously.

gruecd said:
People literally just can't help themselves.  There's a deep-seated psychological need to "do something" when people start to see things going down, even if they KNOW it's probably in their best interest to just ride it out.
It's the reason that financial advisers have a job. 

commoncents said:
Agreed. When they rolled the contracts to August they destroyed even more NAV when they moved up the futures curve. But I'm sure the retail investors don't know/care about that.
Will be interesting to see what NAV shakes out as. Based on the contracts they held at the close, should be down 33% but stock was only down 25%. And assuming they rebalanced at the close, they'd have lost ~14% of their contracts by selling June to roll into August. But I have a feeling they likely were selling June contracts when they were at $7. 

How high will the premium to NAV be? 

ETA: My estimates have NAV at $2.31 per share  so trading at a 22% premium. 

Last edited by a moderator:
More oil info. Both dated and timely imo. Excuse the formatting.

You Can’t Jawbone a Physical Oversupplied Market Featuring: Warren Pies

Published Date: April 16th, 2020

Synopsis:

Oil has been front and center this past week, and in spite of a historic production cut from OPEC+ and other G20 countries, prices have again dipped their heads below $20 a barrel. Warren Pies, chief energy strategist at Ned Davis Research, has returned to help viewers separate the signal from the incessant noise. Pies reiterates that it is in fact COVID-19 related demand disruption that is the driving force for low oil prices and not a price war. He also explains why talk is cheap in a physical market like oil and provides a roadmap for investing in the post crisis recovery.

One of our best new guests here at Real Vision has been Warren Pies, chief energy strategist at Ned Davis Research. The past month, he's been on multiple times to talk to us about what he's seeing in the energy space, especially considering the demand shock we're seeing from the coronavirus and the price war that we've seen between the Russians and the Saudis. With news this weekend about a historic production cut from OPEC+, we thought it was a perfect time to bring Warren back for a quick timely update.

WARREN PIES: Warren Pies, energy strategist for Ned Davis Research. I've been on Real Vision a couple times in the last month, beginning of March initially, and then most recently, one month ago, March 13th to discuss the oil markets, the energy sector, we've discussed tankers and basically, everything in energy. The OPEC+ Production Cut Agreement: Separating Signal From Noise Well, there has been a lot of noise the oil market in particular. Obviously, everyone has probably beating the dead horse of the OPEC+ meeting, where more or less everybody got on board including G20 countries, consuming countries, producing countries. Traditional OPEC, OPEC+, so we went from last time we talked, it was every man for himself. We talked about just producing as much as possible outright, that was part of the reason why we saw such a dramatic collapse in crude oil prices. Really, I think we'll talk about the meeting more specifically, but really the meeting and having a pass has revealed what the true proximate cause of the pain in the oil patch has been and that is just complete collapse of demand. We had the OPEC, and I don't want to be too glib in dismissing it, we had the OPEC sideshow, but it, to a certain extent, was a sideshow because you have the coronavirus, that was really the center of our first conversation. Then OPEC, Russia, Saudi Arabia, they had their messy divorce, and that was what got all the attention. Under the surface, really, what mattered as opposed to the supply dissension was what was going on underneath the surface, and that's a total collapse in global oil demand. We had, due to coronavirus, once the coronavirus really started impacting the United States and shutting the United States economy down, we were talking about 30%, 35% reduction in total global oil demand. That's 30, 35 million barrels just using round numbers of demand destruction due to all the shutdown. We have the OPEC meeting going on in the background, Saudi Arabia and Russia realized it was a real foolish time to start producing all out, so they came back together and at the, really, behest of President Trump, so Trump pulled this whole thing together, wanted to make a big deal and a lot of it ended up being optics, in my opinion. There's a true cut coming now. It looks like Saudis and Russia are going to cut about 5 million barrels combine, the rest of OPEC's going to do a little less than 5 million barrels so you're at like 9.7 million barrels of supply reduction. That's a great-- it's historic, OPEC, OPEC+ cut. You've never seen anything like that. The problem is we have this underlying demand reduction destruction story. That is, just totally swamped the cuts that we're seeing from OPEC. When you have 10 million barrel reduction from OPEC, and 30, 35 million barrel reduction in demand, it doesn't change the ultimate calculus for the crude oil market too much. You're still in a huge hole. Now, there are also G20 non-OPEC+ countries who gotten involved and are going to cut production and extensively, this is going to be another 10 million barrels a day reduction in production supply. This though is opaque. There's no hard and fast rules or outlines, any true commitment. There's no organization to force these cuts. Some of it is a little bit double counting, because I think they're also getting credit some of these G20 countries for stocking their strategic petroleum reserves. If you add a barrel into your SBR, does that count as an effective production cut? That's the hazy math that's going on under the surface here. I'd say, let's just for the sake of argument, let's give a full 20 million barrel a day reduction to the combined group of producing countries in OPEC, and G20. We're still short, potentially, even if we're conservative on our demand destruction estimates, we're still short 5 million barrels a day or oversupply 5 million barrels a day in the oil markets. That's unprecedented. I think most people can't put that in historic context. What I've been doing is going back to like the great recession during the financial crisis and looking at what happened to demand there, and I've overlaid there some charts that overlaid gasoline demand in United States versus 2008. I've centered this crisis period around the collapse of Lehman Brothers, just to show, put it in context, and really, there's no comparison. At the height of the financial crisis, you're talking about maybe for a short period of time, a three to 5 million barrel a day oversupply in the market and then OPEC cut roughly 4 million barrels in two combined cuts between October and December of 2008 back then. They were able to balance that market. Let's say you were three to 5 million barrels a day oversupplied during the worst of that crisis, and then OPEC comes in and cuts about 4 million barrels of production, you're getting yourself into a normalized market within that range. Even after all the cuts, given the most generous interpretation of what happened at the most recent meetings and what everyone's saying, we're still probably five to 10 million barrels a day over supplied in the market. That's why you saw prices do April 16th , 2020 - www.realvision.com 4 The Expert View: You Can’t Jawbone a Physical Oversupplied Market what they did. We had a quick 8% rally, and that was like if you blinked, you missed it. Now, we're back into the downtrend in the oil markets.

How Long Until We Run Out of Storage Space?

Well, it depends because we've talked about this. What's going to get utilized is floating storage. We are- - I know Real Vision has covered this a lot and I'm not a pure tanker analyst but what I understand is the oil market and I understand that when you have as steep of contango that we have currently in the market, you're going to incentivize every potential storage avenue which includes a floating storage, which is ultimately tankers. Now in the United States, I think by the end of April, the Cushing which is the main inland storage hub will be full.  You're seeing Cushing, even though WTI is trading at like $23, $22 and Brent's at like 30s, so you have this massive window in between-- differential between the two, global crude and inland United States crude, WTI is still trading at a big premium to other hubs around the country. At some points, I've seen Louisiana Light Sweet were trading at $11 discount to WTI. What that does, just to cut to the bottom line, is WTI Cushing will become like a magnet for all the crude around the country. You're going to get as much crude filling into Cushing as quickly as possible and that will happen first, and that's going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Once that happens, you're going to have a real problem on WTI pricing, and that's going to pressure WTI. The whole system is a mess. At the end of the day, how much time we have before storage globally fills up is a hard question to answer, but we are not going to-- the bottom line is we're going to continue to fill up tankers and every tanker can hold 2 million barrels of crude. You have, let's just say an 850 VLCCS globally. You can just start doing back of the envelope math. If you had 250 tankers that are being utilized just for floating storage, that's an additional 500 million barrels of storage capacity. You don't know exactly when we hit the theoretical limit, we'll hit the theoretical limit, what prices will do before we get there and how quickly producers will shut in. All those things are moving parts, but we don't have a precise time for that. Ultimately, the market is so oversupplied, oil will continue to be incented to go into storage and when I say that, when you incent oil into storage, that means the curve will stay in steep contango to open up every available storage avenue in market, and it will stay there until we start seeing balance in the market, which is not going to happen anytime soon.

What is Curve Shape Telling Us? 

We are continuing to steepen on my measure, and what I do is I smoothed that out. We went over it last time, but yeah, we're continuing to see steepening right through this OPEC meeting. We had a few days where we had dramatic-- it had never got flat and [?] anywhere close to that ratio, but we saw that continual came in a little bit in the anticipation of the OPEC meeting and I think the market was trying to weigh out what exactly is going to happen there, is there going to be some shock in that announcement? Ultimately, the takeaway for all this, the curve is still steepening. It's at record levels at this point in my measurement. The big takeaway on the oil market, Donald Trump, the entire thing is, there's a physical component to this market. It's not like the stock market, this is not a confidence market. You can't jawbone a physical oversupply of 5 million barrels a day. You can't talk this market up and keep it there. Because ultimately, at the end of the day, it's a supply and demand situation, you have a physical commodity at the end of the chain. It's a major difference between this and the stock market, for instance. Stock market, you could come out and Trump can get angry with Powell and the traders might say, well, we need to adjust our valuations, our risk premiums come in, whatever. That's ultimately, a confidence thing. That's not how the oil market works. You may have some very small geopolitical risk premium at different times, but when you have this oversupply in the market, there's no talking it up, there's no solving this problem through, Trump getting up and having another press conference. It doesn't work that way. It's a fundamental difference. I think a lot of investors try and map their experience in the equity markets over into these physical commodity markets and it doesn't really work. It doesn't translate.

What is the Potential of Further Production Cuts?

This dramatic headline, 9.7 million barrel cut, it's a two-month thing too. It only goes through the end of June. Starts May 1 st , goes into June and they taper down to 7.6. We could see an extension of that maybe,  something like-- but this is where-- and I provided this report, I think, to Real Vision at some point after one of our conversations, this is where you start getting into the budgets of respective orders and countries and you start realizing that the pain is so acute in a country like Saudi Arabia. At this point, it's real for Russia as well. Saudi Arabia is going to be running massive deficits at current pricing, and now you're lowering your production. Their baseline is 11 million barrels a day according to the new agreement, and they're reducing that down to 8.5, so that's a 2.5 million barrel reduction based off what their stated numbers are. According to the Saudis, they would be producing 12.3 million barrels a day currently, so you're talking about, if they're telling the truth, you're talking about a 3.8 million barrel cut. At current numbers, you're running about $150 billion deficit for the Saudis. You're talking about $500 billion of forex reserves in that country. You could start seeing reserves drain quite quickly at current prices in production. To cut production further from here only worsens their situation, and I think they've really reached-- this has been a real stretch for them to get to where we're at post-OPEC+++ agreement. The bottom line is if your economy, essential part of your economy, is oil production, and you have prices collapse down to $20 a barrel, it just doesn't work for anybody. Everybody's in pain. Russia was in pain. That was a part of another report, I believe are provided for you, is that anything sub-40 doesn't work for global oil producers, generally speaking. US shale production obviously doesn't work in a sub-40 environment. The Saudis break even at $85 a barrel budget breakeven, which is what's important. They try and make you focus on lifting costs, but we want to talk about budget breakeven. No, that doesn't work for them either. In Russia, they're somewhere in that $50 barrel range for budget breakeven as well, so it's a degree of pain, everyone's in pain. It's just a matter of degrees. Russia was in pain, they have less storage. They refilled their some physical realities that affect the way they can shut off production less efficiently than the Saudis. They have less storage capacity as well. There are some problems with Russia if we were to go through this protracted oversupply scenario, but I still think that of the three major producing countries, the Saudis, the Russians, the United States, the Saudis are the least prepared for this environment. That was what my ultimate conclusion was. Again, it doesn't matter. $20, $30 Brent, it doesn't work over a long term for any of these countries. US shale, we're going to see a big recapitalization there as we've talked about. US shale is going to be recapitalized. It'll be absorbed probably by a combination of a couple big major producers. Then you're going to see, hopefully, for the safety industry, costs come down at that point, but as it's currently constituted, US shale will not exist going forward.

How Long Can This Go On?

Well, that's the question everybody would like to know the answer to is, the answer would tell us when we can come out of our houses, ultimately. I wish I knew how long. Again, I'm not an epidemiologist. I have no clue where the policy line's going to be drawn on this and that's going to dictate ultimately, how long  we're oversupplied. How long the coronavirus, COVID-19, stays with us is exactly-- is really the true issue here for the oil markets. The OPEC thing is behind us now. We're still stuck with oversupply and it's going to be that way until we reopen the economy. My personal feeling is that the way things have rebounded recently, energy stock prices and the way the oil market even to a certain extent has reacted around this, is that the market is-- and what we've talked about the past in the tanker stocks, can give you an interesting view into this. All those assets that I watch I would guess that the market is too optimistic about resolving this demand destruction. We may have a V-shaped recovery in the stock market, but we are not in my opinion, I don't see how it's possible to have a V-shaped recovery in oil demand globally. It just it doesn't really make sense to me. I don't see how we get there. I think if the market thinks that we're going to have demand normalized by just taking OPEC's numbers, they think that they can be cutting 5 million barrels of production from their inflated numbers already by the end of the year, which looks really like about a 3 million barrel cut, I think they're overly optimistic. I think the demand will not have normalized to that point by the end of the year. It doesn't really align with what I'm seeing on the ground from the economic shutdowns. The upshot of that is that you need to have patience if you're deploying capital into the energy space. We had some great deals we talked about last time. We talked about Williams and Chevron and a couple other really core holdings within the sector. Those have run but I don't think there's as much urgency to put that money to work. Today's the last time we spoke, I think this thing's going to be a little bit longer running and we've had a big move already.

How Low Can Oil Prices Go?

For oil prices, their strong support is zero. I would say that no, I think that all bets are off. Do we ultimately get lower than we were during the most recent plunge? I think we'll revisit that. If I had a gun to my head, I think we will revisit where we were back at the worst of the worst in March. I think that you can tell that the differential across the United States and what we talked about going on at Cushing, there's just a real mess in the oil markets, and OPEC has now, they've gone ahead and taking their shot and the market is digesting it. Again, once the true realization of how oversupplied we are in the market and the physical reality is there, I think prices will move lower and unfortunately for anyone who's been to a higher oil prices, at least.

What Will the Recovery Look Like?

Eventually when we do come out of this because we will come out of it, I think it's important to have a roadmap of what that recovery is going to look like and how that recovery translates into your investment portfolio. We've talked a lot about oversupplied. That's been the big theme of our conversation today and in previous conversations as well. Oversupply, ultimately, it will dictate the shape of the curve, which then dictates storage realities. Right now, I still like those tanker stocks we discussed, they really haven't moved despite the improving economics. There is a real risk that at the end of this, you see a falloff in ton mileage, but the near term economics and the oversupply is so great I think that you can look through that and you're still getting a good deal on those stocks. Afterwards, what we're going to see is a-- because we've talked about gasoline demand coming off, refined product, inventories swell, the swelling of refined product inventories ultimately will collapse refining margins, and that's what we're seeing right now. That causes refineries to curtail throughput. Once refineries reduced throughput, that's a negative for refiners. Refiners have been important storm in a lot of the other oil crashes we've seen in recent years. I won't go too far into why, but it's just those have been supply-induced crashes. This is a demand-induced crash. You see a different dynamic at play. It's too early to buy refiners is my point. Eventually, what will happen as you get this recovery is you'll see consumers start to normalize behavior that will first come through as higher refined product prices while we still have this glut in the crude oil market so what you'll see is improving refinery margins. At that point, it'll be time to rotate in refiners and at some point down the road ultimately, that will flow through into better, stronger crude oil prices, which is when you would want to go into more oil sensitive names like upstream names. The order in my view is you're in tankers now, you're waiting for refiners as we start to improve incrementally, and then eventually down the road, the later cycle in this energy recovery would be upstream.

$USO NAV at $2.06. Closed at $2.81. 36% premium to NAV. May just switch to selling calls against it. 

Still only invested in Jun/Jul contracts. Has orders to sell 90k of its 196k June contracts. Selling June contracts at an average of $12 to buy 51k July contracts at an average of $20 and 7k Aug contracts at $24. But high, sell low. 

ETA: The NAV does use closing price so I'm seeing NAV based on current prices at $2.38. Still 18% premium. They're selling their JUN contracts 13% below current prices.

stbugs said:
Problem with Amazon is they don’t really care sometimes like the last few quarters where they took a hit to profit because they wanted to setup the one day delivery. It was a very smart thing that they did based on CV and way more people getting stuff delivered but at the time the stock took some hits even though they said it would hit the bottom line. Long term they want to have a higher stock price and growth but as you said you never know with them quarter to quarter.
Amazon is like GE in the Jack Welsh days.  They dole out the profit numbers as they want to.  Right now it almost doesn't matter what number they turn in - they're gaining huge market share over the next year.

$USO NAV at $2.06. Closed at $2.81. 36% premium to NAV. May just switch to selling calls against it. 

Still only invested in Jun/Jul contracts. Has orders to sell 90k of its 196k June contracts. Selling June contracts at an average of $12 to buy 51k July contracts at an average of $20 and 7k Aug contracts at $24. But high, sell low. 

ETA: The NAV does use closing price so I'm seeing NAV based on current prices at $2.38. Still 18% premium. They're selling their JUN contracts 13% below current prices.
It's so crazy. When you can exchange 90K contracts for 59K contracts, why not? This kind of thing makes me upset. Liquidating the fund acts in the investors' best interests. However, management can't continue to pocket fees unless they push it out further and destroy value.

In tanker related news for those who are interested. Here's EURN's CEO (who has historically been very conservative). Tankers are about to print money.

https://youtu.be/Q6HZbbJrJIA

Here is the EURN April investor update:

https://www.euronav.com/en/investors/company-news-reports/presentations/2020/investor-update-april-2020/

Key takeaway:
$5K/day incremental avg annual increase in daily spot rates increases revenues and EBITDA by $112M. To put this into context, they breakeven at $28K/day. They just fixed a VLCC at $165K/day.

EURN's market cap is currently $2.3B. According to Poten & Partners Daily Briefing, the average YTD VLCC spot rate is $98,400. Back of the envelope math, that equates to $1.57B in EBITDA. Granted, depreciation and interest are significant in the tanker industry and should be considered in operating costs, but annual rates will only increase as the summer months (seasonally a slower month) have had all time high bookings. And it's only going to get better.

There could be a scenario where EURN generates it's market cap in EBITDA. And the other tanker companies are in similar positions.

There are estimates that 1/3 of the global fleet could be used for storage. Daily spot rates will go bananas as supply tightens, and this trade could exist as long as oil stays in contango if there is no V shaped recovery (looking less and less likely). Not to mention IMO2020 which has reduced the order book for tankers to come online in the future, and an aging global fleet, and this could be one of those industries that will turn a profit over the next few years.

Amazon is like GE in the Jack Welsh days.  They dole out the profit numbers as they want to.  Right now it almost doesn't matter what number they turn in - they're gaining huge market share over the next year.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think they are doing anything wrong. Setting up the 1 day delivery infrastructure has allowed them to handle the load they got. I was just saying the "problem" was the predictability of each quarter's numbers. Amazon is by far the biggest holding I have, so I'm not complaining. I wouldn't have sold shares today just because I think they could have a gargantuan Q1.

In tanker related news for those who are interested. Here's EURN's CEO (who has historically been very conservative). Tankers are about to print money.

https://youtu.be/Q6HZbbJrJIA

Here is the EURN April investor update:

https://www.euronav.com/en/investors/company-news-reports/presentations/2020/investor-update-april-2020/

Key takeaway:
$5K/day incremental avg annual increase in daily spot rates increases revenues and EBITDA by $112M. To put this into context, they breakeven at $28K/day. They just fixed a VLCC at $165K/day.

EURN's market cap is currently $2.3B. According to Poten & Partners Daily Briefing, the average YTD VLCC spot rate is $98,400. Back of the envelope math, that equates to $1.57B in EBITDA. Granted, depreciation and interest are significant in the tanker industry and should be considered in operating costs, but annual rates will only increase as the summer months (seasonally a slower month) have had all time high bookings. And it's only going to get better.

There could be a scenario where EURN generates it's market cap in EBITDA. And the other tanker companies are in similar positions.

There are estimates that 1/3 of the global fleet could be used for storage. Daily spot rates will go bananas as supply tightens, and this trade could exist as long as oil stays in contango if there is no V shaped recovery (looking less and less likely). Not to mention IMO2020 which has reduced the order book for tankers to come online in the future, and an aging global fleet, and this could be one of those industries that will turn a profit over the next few years.
english mothereffer :lol:

english mothereffer :lol:
Haha!

In layman's terms, oil tankers are primarily utilized to transport crude from the producers to the refiners. There are around 850 VLCC's (large crude tankers that can carry 2 million barrels of oil) in the global fleet. Oil tankers (operators) are hired by various parties to transport the oil from location to location.

There are two different ways in which tankers are contracted: via the daily spot rate or time charters. The daily spot rate is essentially the market rate at the point of the pickup of crude, while time charters are longer term contracted periods where the third party controls the tanker for the period of time. Time charters are used by operators to lock in rates, however, the time charter rate is typically lower than the prevailing spot rate.

Because of the COVID-19 shutdown, the demand for oil has been destroyed. As a result, the oil futures curve is in contango, meaning that a barrel of oil delivered this month is cheaper than a barrel of oil delivered in the future. For example, a WTI crude barrel in May ($13) and then June ($20) and then July ($23). This creates an arbitrage opportunity for oil traders, where they can purchase May oil at $13/barrel and simultaneously sell a future in July for $23/barrel. Only issue is that they need to take physical delivery this month. So they hire a tanker operator under a time charter agreement for 60 days. The oil contango is $10/barrel or $20M ($10 * 2,000,000 barrels). The oil trader can pay the operator $333,333/day to break even on the trade ($333,333 * 60). So the oil trader decides to pay the operator $200K/day and pockets a cool, relatively risk free $8M profit, while the operator earns a cool $12M which is anywhere from 7 to 10 times their breakeven point.

Currently about 100 VLCC's have been chartered for this arbitrage opportunity. That leaves only 750 VLCC's to actually carry out their primary function: to transport oil. Due to this supply constraint, the daily spot rate has exploded. This contango may continue for the foreseeable future. There is a huge oil supply that has built up over the past couple of months. Because of that, until all of this excess supply is used up, contango will likely exist, which constrains the global supply of VLCC's.

There were also environmental regulations that took effect in January 1, which have further constrained future supply of VLCC's to the global fleet. This a perfect storm for tankers. The last true bull market for tankers was from 2003 to 2008 (check out a chart of FRO or DHT when you have the chance).

Tankers also trade less than their NAV which make them attractive investments during a time like. Also, many of the tanker operators are committed to returning 70 to 80% of their earnings via dividends and share buybacks.

The bear thesis is that there will be sky high rates until  the shutdown is lifted. At which point, daily spot rates will be dismal. I am of the belief that due to contango taking up VLCC's on contracts that can run up to a year, combined with the belief that I think we are in for an L shaped recovery as opposed to a V, and the environmental regulations that were passed, that this tanker trade can be a multi-year trade.

TLDR - invest in tankerz, roll in cash, while everyone chases after hypothetical/projected cash flows.

What are some of the best tanker stocks to invest in?
Companies listed on US exchanges:

Tanker companies with the most VLCC's are $DHT, $EURN, and $FRO. Other tanker companies with a mix of vessels are $NAT, $INSW, $DSSI, $TNK, and $TNP.

My personal portfolio is comprised of a basket of $INSW, $DSSI, $STNG (clean product tanker), $DHT, $EURN, and $FRO. Kuppy's blog also goes into detail about the trade. He is the one that introduced me to this trade and he does a much better job of explaining the trade than me.

Tanker Thesis

I love this thread so much but I’m seriously wondering if we need a separate oil thread? Oh my. All this talk of oil etfs and tankers and borrowing Chet’s private island to store oil when you assume oil contracts that pay you to take on barrels of oil?

Back to stonks! States slowly reopening! No revenues bad! Some sales coming back good!

Still want to know the answer to this.  I have to idea.
Um, I mean, stocks can't really go to 0. If a stock ever goes to 0, you should buy infinite shares because your potential return would be unlimited that way. But would assume your broker would auto exercise it. At worst, I believe OCC would auto exercise it at the last trade price. But even if that wasn't the case, if you exercised the put, you'd be short the stock and then you'd be a natural buyer. So you would be the incremental buyer and could probably get squeezed a bit. 

Also this seemed to come out of left field. EXPE potentially getting a $1bn infusion from PE money. Interesting move because bond market was theoretically open to them. Their debt was trading around 6% and BKNG (Booking old Priceline) just raised $4bn in debt ($750mn of it was convertible). Perhaps this is just a factor of this business model but having to resort to PE funding never seems great. Also, would assume LYV will need to do something given they run a similar model where a lot of their cash is tied up in bookings. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/expedia-nears-deal-to-sell-stake-to-silver-lake-and-apollo-sources-say-11587507953?mod=lead_feature_below_a_pos1

The Lost One said:
I just don't understand why people do this?  So looking for an explanation. Why would anyone sell Amazon?  I mean this company is the best and could be $4,000 a share someday. Seems like the best go long investment. Why play around?
If I had to pick one stock to keep for 10 years, it would be Amazon.  But I don't need to make that kind of commitment.  I can fool around for awhile.  Amazon will be waiting for me.  I might end up paying a slightly higher price for it.  I can live with that.  Right now, it's nice not being exposed to a major market plunge.

Haha!

In layman's terms, oil tankers are primarily utilized to transport crude from the producers to the refiners. There are around 850 VLCC's (large crude tankers that can carry 2 million barrels of oil) in the global fleet. Oil tankers (operators) are hired by various parties to transport the oil from location to location.

There are two different ways in which tankers are contracted: via the daily spot rate or time charters. The daily spot rate is essentially the market rate at the point of the pickup of crude, while time charters are longer term contracted periods where the third party controls the tanker for the period of time. Time charters are used by operators to lock in rates, however, the time charter rate is typically lower than the prevailing spot rate.

Because of the COVID-19 shutdown, the demand for oil has been destroyed. As a result, the oil futures curve is in contango, meaning that a barrel of oil delivered this month is cheaper than a barrel of oil delivered in the future. For example, a WTI crude barrel in May ($13) and then June ($20) and then July ($23). This creates an arbitrage opportunity for oil traders, where they can purchase May oil at $13/barrel and simultaneously sell a future in July for $23/barrel. Only issue is that they need to take physical delivery this month. So they hire a tanker operator under a time charter agreement for 60 days. The oil contango is $10/barrel or $20M ($10 * 2,000,000 barrels). The oil trader can pay the operator $333,333/day to break even on the trade ($333,333 * 60). So the oil trader decides to pay the operator $200K/day and pockets a cool, relatively risk free $8M profit, while the operator earns a cool $12M which is anywhere from 7 to 10 times their breakeven point.

Currently about 100 VLCC's have been chartered for this arbitrage opportunity. That leaves only 750 VLCC's to actually carry out their primary function: to transport oil. Due to this supply constraint, the daily spot rate has exploded. This contango may continue for the foreseeable future. There is a huge oil supply that has built up over the past couple of months. Because of that, until all of this excess supply is used up, contango will likely exist, which constrains the global supply of VLCC's.

There were also environmental regulations that took effect in January 1, which have further constrained future supply of VLCC's to the global fleet. This a perfect storm for tankers. The last true bull market for tankers was from 2003 to 2008 (check out a chart of FRO or DHT when you have the chance).

Tankers also trade less than their NAV which make them attractive investments during a time like. Also, many of the tanker operators are committed to returning 70 to 80% of their earnings via dividends and share buybacks.

The bear thesis is that there will be sky high rates until  the shutdown is lifted. At which point, daily spot rates will be dismal. I am of the belief that due to contango taking up VLCC's on contracts that can run up to a year, combined with the belief that I think we are in for an L shaped recovery as opposed to a V, and the environmental regulations that were passed, that this tanker trade can be a multi-year trade.

TLDR - invest in tankerz, roll in cash, while everyone chases after hypothetical/projected cash flows.
So basically CYDY with an actual product/service to sell.  :scared:

If I had to pick one stock to keep for 10 years, it would be Amazon.  But I don't need to make that kind of commitment.  I can fool around for awhile.  Amazon will be waiting for me.  I might end up paying a slightly higher price for it.  I can live with that.  Right now, it's nice not being exposed to a major market plunge.
No worries, when they report 50% sales growth on Thursday and hit $2900 Friday morning, you can jump in then. 😉

How much larger can Amazon get though? It’s already over a trillion dollars, amongst the companies with the highest market cap. I’d wager it can get bigger but it becomes infinitely more difficult to keep doubling from here. 

I can respect the differing opinions but I just don't get the trading mentality on stocks that should be long term investment gold mines. Like when you hear about the guys cheating on their supermodel wives. 
Oh, it's always a bad idea, such as market timing.  And a lot of noise to be just ignored, imho, same as people that enjoy posting their one day balance increases 🙄  

If you want to trade on your instincts with market moves short term, this should be done in the options market.  People looking to jump in and out of stocks are almost always going to lose money, no matter what they post here.  Options allow you to risk a little to make a lot if you're actually right. 

Feels like this senate package approval bounce this morning is going to be a sell the news event later in the morning.

that said I’ll habe to put a stop in on my SPXU posistion in case this runs away.

Are you being serious here?  If so, people should be liquidating everything and buying Amazon today.  Is that what you are suggesting I should do?
You see the wink emoji, right? No, not serious at all. I do think that it is possible that they beat estimates. I also think it's possible that they made large investments (hiring and one day delivery upgrades) and beat revenues but spent more as they've done in the past. I find it highly unlikely that they missed revenues with all the deliveries and Whole Foods. It's whether or not they blew past earnings as well. Also, their Q2 or 2020 full year guidance is likely just as important to the stock price as Q1 earnings.

Also, damn it, but their earnings call will be on 4/30 not 4/23, so all this talk for the wrong day. I think I recall before that they had a range listed from 4/23-4/30, so we probably assumed the early date.

Feels like this senate package approval bounce this morning is going to be a sell the news event later in the morning.

that said I’ll habe to put a stop in on my SPXU posistion in case this runs away.
I agree with you. I just still don't have an easy feeling about where we are overall in stock prices. I'm not complaining, but I've got a bunch of stocks at or above the February 20th high. Plenty more not there, but higher than where I bought them after the drop started and of course 100 shares of LK. I know the market is forward looking, but I am really tempted to shave some more into cash knowing that there should be a buy lower opportunity. I even set a bunch of targets in my mind, so the hard part will be if there is a dip, when to jump in.

I agree with you. I just still don't have an easy feeling about where we are overall in stock prices. I'm not complaining, but I've got a bunch of stocks at or above the February 20th high. Plenty more not there, but higher than where I bought them after the drop started and of course 100 shares of LK. I know the market is forward looking, but I am really tempted to shave some more into cash knowing that there should be a buy lower opportunity. I even set a bunch of targets in my mind, so the hard part will be if there is a dip, when to jump in.
What do you think will happen with the LK?

Users who are viewing this thread