What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (8 Viewers)

Should have been more FVRR (only bought 30 at $122)
We probably subscribe to the same MF service because I think we own a lot of the same stuff. I did the free trial after seeing you mention it a while back and I actually think it’s good value.

FVRR wasn’t on my radar and they put it there - I have 75 shares at 125 and I might even average up after next earnings. This thing is going crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
We probably subscribe to the same MF service because I think we own a lot of the same stuff. I did the free trial after seeing you mention it a while back and I actually think it’s good value.

FVRR wasn’t on my radar and they put it there - I have 75 shares at 125 and I might even average up after next earnings. This thing is going crazy.
Which one did you do?

I only bought 30 FVRR thinking I’d keep adding on pull backs, but should have just bought 80-100 and been done with it. If it pulls back a little (it will), definitely going to pounce and let it ride. That said, it was way less when I had it on my list at the beginning of the year. SMH. Chalk it up to being cautious back in March (so much deeper dip talk) and not being able to buy everything.

I subscribed to a few MF services (cut back on a few). Their follow up advice is less interesting than the initial list. Right now, I don’t have enough cash to support more lists to buy.

I like their services. They’ve made me way more money than I would have made without them. ZM, TTD TWLO, OKTA and MDB are stocks I bought because of them. Just on those alone, I’m up over 6 figures in 12-17 months so the ROI is ridiculous. Add in other stocks like FSLY, SEDG and many others and it’s crazy. I may do another blast off next year or a small cap one, but unless I sell off a bunch, not enough free cash (good to always enough). I do plan on rolling over an older 401k that my wife has at the end of the year. Not a ton in there, but maybe enough to warrant some new investment ideas for that money.

Stock Advisor. I don’t buy everything they recommend but it’s paid for itself already with the ones I eventually landed on like FVRR. 
I think I will always do SA and Rule Breakers. More than cheap enough for my portfolio. I’ve done others as well. I think I got a little saturated as there started to be a lot of overlap. I liked the Blast Off and Rising Stars. I couldn’t buy everything (FVRR was in Rising Stars around 20, oy), but it got some of the high fliers and some small cap guys who’ve done well like FSLY (barely over $1b market cap in March).

I’ll stick with those two and then grab 1 maybe 2 other services a year. For me you are talking about well under 1% “fees” for the year with stellar market beating returns. I mean I could subscribe to more for 20 years and still be way ahead. Don’t want to throw money away, but I think I’ll always subscribe until they prove me wrong.

HGEN = $12.71.  Up 29%.  It's an ideal time to get out.  Buy back when it goes back to sub-$10 if you want to still own it.

Closed out of FAS at $37 for 20+%.  Still think it could run some more but don't want to get trapped being greedy.  

Tempting, although I'm still down about 30%. Better than staying in and becoming down 40-50% again, eh?
In the last couple of months, there are big time investors who gained the ability to sell HGEN stock.  It was stock that they couldn't sell previously because of the terms of the offering in which they bought.  IMO, their selling is keeping the stock price down.  HGEN trades with such low volume that they can't sell a lot of it without tanking the stock price so they might have a lot more stock that they want to offload.

I haven't been paying attention to HGEN for the last week or so because I sold.  I will consider buying back in after I sell CYDY in the next couple of weeks.  Humanigen could start their Big Effect Trial with Remdesivir at any time.  In fact, it probably should have already started but hasn't.  I'm also not sure when their current trial is going to fully enroll but that should come soon with results coming 5-6 weeks afterward.  Again, my info isn't totally up-to-date.  The IHub message board has the best HGEN information.  Here is a link to it: https://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/board.aspx?board_id=26171

In the last couple of months, there are big time investors who gained the ability to sell HGEN stock.  It was stock that they couldn't sell previously because of the terms of the offering in which they bought.  IMO, their selling is keeping the stock price down.  HGEN trades with such low volume that they can't sell a lot of it without tanking the stock price so they might have a lot more stock that they want to offload.

I haven't been paying attention to HGEN for the last week or so because I sold.  I will consider buying back in after I sell CYDY in the next couple of weeks.  Humanigen could start their Big Effect Trial with Remdesivir at any time.  In fact, it probably should have already started but hasn't.  I'm also not sure when their current trial is going to fully enroll but that should come soon with results coming 5-6 weeks afterward.  Again, my info isn't totally up-to-date.  The IHub message board has the best HGEN information.  Here is a link to it: https://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/board.aspx?board_id=26171
I appreciate your input, and what you say regarding the big investors makes sense. I sold half and letting the other half ride, at least for now.

NRGU is doing a reverse split?  I don't know how that plays.  I'm out.
Reverse splits are never a good thing. Sometimes for OTC stocks it happens tying to get up listed, but already listed it means the stock has just been hammered.

Purchased some SQ a little while back and it’s up around 25%.  Anyone more knowledgeable than me on this stock recommend a sell or hold?

NRGU is doing a reverse split?  I don't know how that plays.  I'm out.
There were more than a few leveraged ETFs that did reverse splits in June.  Not really all that uncommon and why these are meant to be short plays.    

NRGU tracks the following stocks, and the volume bought/sold in actual NRGU won't change it's price.  Only what is bought/sold in the stocks it tracks.

PXDPioneer Natural Resources Co10.72%

EOGEOG Resources Inc10.68%

VLOValero Energy Corp10.06%

MPCMarathon Petroleum Corp10.04%

OXYOccidental Petroleum Corp9.86%

XOMExxon Mobil Corp9.83%

CVXChevron Corp9.66%

PSXPhillips 669.61%

COPConocoPhillips9.44%

Purchased some SQ a little while back and it’s up around 25%.  Anyone more knowledgeable than me on this stock recommend a sell or hold?
It's been going up forever.  I've regretted every time I've sold, but it's hard to turn a quick 25% profit.

I am the worst at determining which stocks to hold to let run further and which to take profits on.  Months ago I had 10 SQ $65 1/21 calls that I sold for a modest profit that would be worth $110k right now if I'd held.  Oof.

@Nugget thanks for the heads-up on NRGU.  It's a 1 for 20 reverse.  I will make an adjustment since my share count is not divisible by 20 and don't want to deal with fractions.  Was a little tempted to sell off some anyway on the rise today.  Good excuse to trim a bit.

Out of Esty.  Big ol whooping 1.7% gain.  Bought on on the dip after warnings and watched it erode to where i was down 20%  Not something I want to hold long term unless I find a better entry point.

Out of the Kohl's I bought last week for a 9% gain.  Still holding a small portion with a $19.43 cost basis.  Will buy again when it drops below $20.

Out of Esty.  Big ol whooping 1.7% gain.  Bought on on the dip after warnings and watched it erode to where i was down 20%  Not something I want to hold long term unless I find a better entry point.
I don’t know how you were ever down 20%. It’s $5 off of its $141 52 week high. It’s been a great stock for me, wish I bought more back in March when I got it.

Getting swept up in the solar run. Still not planning to buy BEEM, not sure I get the long term vision versus Chargepoint or Tesla’s super chargers that could be powered by solar and other bigger power company setups.

That said SEDG is my only pure solar holding and it hit a low of $180 in September and has run to $270 today. Been a tear for I assume most alternative energy stocks.

My first attempt at this, so be gentle.

CLCT 

Could be a fun one to watch. The parent company of PSA, the leading card grading company. Already insanely increased the last six months, but the company just announced a ton of new price increases and they are still so backlogged they can charge whatever they want.

This bubble of sports cards might pop at anytime, but there is still a ton of long term buzz over not only sports cards, but Pokemon, MTG cards and even things like Garbage Pail Kids cards. All of us old guys with money to burn are dipping into nostalgia and the want for those pieces of cardboard to be graded and value locked in has never been higher. Sports cards are the new art investments.

CLCT 

Could be a fun one to watch. The parent company of PSA, the leading card grading company. Already insanely increased the last six months, but the company just announced a ton of new price increases and they are still so backlogged they can charge whatever they want.

This bubble of sports cards might pop at anytime, but there is still a ton of long term buzz over not only sports cards, but Pokemon, MTG cards and even things like Garbage Pail Kids cards. All of us old guys with money to burn are dipping into nostalgia and the want for those pieces of cardboard to be graded and value locked in has never been higher. Sports cards are the new art investments.
F it, I'm in for a starter position.  :thumbup:

Also, I'm thinking of putting on a little AVO.  

"What's that, GM"?  

A pure play avocado company.   :lmao:

Mission Produce claims to be the leader in sourcing, production and distribution of fresh avocados to retailers, wholesalers and foodservice customers. On top of sourcing, production and distribution, the company provides additional value-added services including ripening, customer packing and logistics, among others.

The company has packing facilities in the US, Mexico and Peru, as well as many distribution and ripening centers across the globe. The production assets include 10,000 acres in Peru with additional greenfields allowing for capacity expansion in the years to come.

Since being founded in 1983, the company has focused on growth, innovation and strategic investments, having made a bet on avocados long before it became a very popular food item. Other sourcing regions include notably Mexico and California as the company uses own production and relationships with third-party growers to create complementary growth seasons. This allows for supply across seasons; in fact, throughout the entire year.

CLCT 

Did this start with Covid? Cards from the 80's and 90's seen any resurgence? Man, did those take a #### around 2000.

skycriesmary said:
Did this start with Covid? Cards from the 80's and 90's seen any resurgence? Man, did those take a #### around 2000.
COVID had a lot to do with it. People bored with no sports, extra stimulus cash, need to gamble....cards have blasted off. 

Nope, cards from the 80s and 90s are still considered "junk wax". Too much supply and not enough demand. The demand is coming from the fringes, either vintage stuff from the 70s and earlier with low population (Jordan rookie and a couple others are exceptions) and then the manufactured scarcity of the cards of today with different versions/autos/low number cards that people want.

And the great thing about a PSA graded card is you know exactly how many cards are out there with that same grade and the supply market is set.

COVID had a lot to do with it. People bored with no sports, extra stimulus cash, need to gamble....cards have blasted off. 

Nope, cards from the 80s and 90s are still considered "junk wax". Too much supply and not enough demand. The demand is coming from the fringes, either vintage stuff from the 70s and earlier with low population (Jordan rookie and a couple others are exceptions) and then the manufactured scarcity of the cards of today with different versions/autos/low number cards that people want.

And the great thing about a PSA graded card is you know exactly how many cards are out there with that same grade and the supply market is set.
Yeah, that's been my understanding of it too. I've still got a handful of graded stuff but besides the Jordan rookie, most of it has probably fallen off the cliff. I also have a bunch of CGC slabbed comics - much more in my wheelhouse. I wonder if PSA's parent company owns CGC too? Hmm....

Yeah, that's been my understanding of it too. I've still got a handful of graded stuff but besides the Jordan rookie, most of it has probably fallen off the cliff. I also have a bunch of CGC slabbed comics - much more in my wheelhouse. I wonder if PSA's parent company owns CGC too? Hmm....
CGC is owned by Certified Collectibles Group LLC, I don't see that they are a public company. but quite the extensive companies underneath them.

The Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) includes seven of the world’s leading expert services companies for coins, paper money, comic books, stamps and other collectibles. They are Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC), Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS), Paper Money Guaranty (PMG), Certified Guaranty Company (CGC), Classic Collectible Services (CCS), Authenticated Stamp Guaranty (ASG) and Collectibles Authentication Guaranty (CAG).

Don Hutson said:
HGEN = $12.71.  Up 29%.  It's an ideal time to get out.  Buy back when it goes back to sub-$10 if you want to still own it.
I’m holding my 6600 shares. My break even is $12.63.

Disclaimer- Roth capital helped Hgen raise capital last month but here is their initial coverage. 75% POS for Covid launch, $8.76 EPS in 2021. Not bad for a $12 stock.

https://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=158702117

I’m holding my 6600 shares. My break even is $12.63.

Disclaimer- Roth capital helped Hgen raise capital last month but here is their initial coverage. 75% POS for Covid launch, $8.76 EPS in 2021. Not bad for a $12 stock.

https://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=158702117
It seems a much better stock to day trade right now.  The way it has been going, it'll likely be sub-$11 at some point this week, if not sub-$10.  The Big Effect Trial with remdesivir starting could give the stock price a pop but I'm starting to wonder if that is ever going to happen.  The BET was first announced in late July.  Results from their Phase III trial is their biggest upcoming catalyst but those results likely won't be known until December. 

Humanigen CEO Cameron Durrant was on Tucker Carlson 2-3 days ago: https://sports.yahoo.com/potential-breakthrough-coronavirus-treatment-202625278.html

It seems a much better stock to day trade right now.  The way it has been going, it'll likely be sub-$11 at some point this week, if not sub-$10. 
That’s been the trend, let’s see. 2.5M shares traded today, the float is 13.1M.

This trial is happening.

The Big Effect Trial with remdesivir starting could give the stock price a pop but I'm starting to wonder if that is ever going to happen.  The BET was first announced in late July.

stbugs said:
McBokonon said:
Stock Advisor. I don’t buy everything they recommend but it’s paid for itself already with the ones I eventually landed on like FVRR. 
I think I will always do SA and Rule Breakers. More than cheap enough for my portfolio. I’ve done others as well. I think I got a little saturated as there started to be a lot of overlap. I liked the Blast Off and Rising Stars. I couldn’t buy everything (FVRR was in Rising Stars around 20, oy), but it got some of the high fliers and some small cap guys who’ve done well like FSLY (barely over $1b market cap in March).

I’ll stick with those two and then grab 1 maybe 2 other services a year. For me you are talking about well under 1% “fees” for the year with stellar market beating returns. I mean I could subscribe to more for 20 years and still be way ahead. Don’t want to throw money away, but I think I’ll always subscribe until they prove me wrong.
Yeah, my only regret so far is that I have only been buying pretty small positions with each recommendation I like.  The service is very weighted towards tech names, but it is good to get some ideas I don't have to come up with myself.

I figure the stocks I have bought are up ~17% in three weeks, so it is worth a benji. I do wish they spelled out a bit more of their analytics and the forum didn't feel like the early 2000s.

stbugs said:
I don’t know how you were ever down 20%. It’s $5 off of its $141 52 week high. It’s been a great stock for me, wish I bought more back in March when I got it.
It was down to $108 three weeks ago.  That's been a 20.5% run in three weeks  I just got in at the wrong time.

Bogart said:

CLCT 

If Monsanto bought Philip Morris and merged with Wells Fargo and then announced Madoff as CFO, I'd invest in that company before PSA.

I don't know what others think of Chamath, but I really like listening to him.   Is talking TSLA, IPOC and other SPACs on CNBC. 

Added some IPOC on the drop this morning.  

I don't know what others think of Chamath, but I really like listening to him.   Is talking TSLA, IPOC and other SPACs on CNBC.
I’ve got a little more in IPOB and IPOC than my other SPACs. I bought them back in July or so a little under $11. Those are the type of SPACs I like because they all have money (some have a ton like PSTH), but the execs who organized the SPAC have experience and track records that matter and likely get the better companies. Some of these I may keep for a while like FMCI and IPOB, because they diversify me and like FMCI, I think a lot of their products and their 100% revenue growth.

Users who are viewing this thread