What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (25 Viewers)

Seriously, it's great to see optimism but the market is already fairly high based on real data. 

:shrug: 🤠 giddy up

Parts of the market are high, yes.  S&P was -100 earlier, but it's flipped.  You'll see stay at home stocks with crazy multiples get sent down, easy at first, and then probably much harder.  But a lot of the value stocks are super low - financials, retail, travel/hospitality, industrials.  Lot of room for them to get back to fairer valuations.

The vaccine news was much better than expected, but today's bounce will be too much, sure.  It's still going to take months and months before the pandemic is even under a bit of control here.  Kind of interesting as to when this was announced :oldunsure:

And if you're holding UVXY, reach for the lube  :lmao:
I’m sure I’ll get killed. I was looking premarket with big gains and wham. Even cloud stocks which weren’t WFH at first but got labeled that were down 5% and I was thinking some bad news. Huge flip premarket instantaneous.

At least I sold some on Friday to raise more cash.

Parts of the market are high, yes.  S&P was -100 earlier, but it's flipped.  You'll see stay at home stocks with crazy multiples get sent down, easy at first, and then probably much harder.  But a lot of the value stocks are super low - financials, retail, travel/hospitality, industrials.  Lot of room for them to get back to fairer valuations.

The vaccine news was much better than expected, but today's bounce will be too much, sure.  It's still going to take months and months before the pandemic is even under a bit of control here.  Kind of interesting as to when this was announced :oldunsure:
Timing is kind of funny. Didn’t we hear all the rumors about it being over as soon as Biden won?

In all seriousness, I went to the mall on Thursday with my son to get some clothes and honestly, I have no desire to go back there CV or not. I think it’s a big mistake to assume that “work from home”, a terrible term IMHO, is over. There’s still a ton of have nots and other folks that got used to not driving a ton. Biden is big on clean energy, companies will be 100% rethinking one of their large costs, etc. iPhones, 5G, cloud, delivery, EVs and all kinds of tech isn’t going away. Those stocks were growing a ton even before CV. Some stocks could go down but I think I’d still bet long term on clean energy and cloud stocks and fintechs over Bank of America and Oil. Just one man’s long term thoughts. Short term, I know nothing other than I was leery of stock prices a month ago, hence my selling most of my ZM, FSLY and others.

If someone handed a scientist THE vaccine right now it would take several months to a year to work out and execute the logistics of its distribution, assuming people even take it.

Right now the US is over 100k new cases per day and soon to be near 200k with winter and the holidays coming.

They are gonna need to pass a ginormous stimulus package to keep 90% of the businesses out of bankruptcy.  

What does this mean for the market moving forward?  No clue.  I have no idea how any of this works

I understand how someone can come to the conclusion that HGEN’s trial is not going well. If you’re interested in Humanigen’s explanation of the reasons the trial count grew, check out the webcast from this morning on their website, their CSO does a good job with that. The other endpoint change was made months ago and was a good strategy to match Remdesivir’s path to approval.

My honest opinion, I think today’s announcements from Humanigen is very positive. OWS officials have seen unblinded trial data, and as announced, the US government is going to throw their full support to commercialize Lenzilumab. This is an incredible benefit, a great place to be, and exactly where Remdesivir was sitting back in March and April. Jump to the front of the line, EUA in 5 days after applying, etc.

Making the announcements today was also God’s work, despite my buddy AF’s opinion. These clinical trials have been slow to fill for small companies. The credibility today’s announcements will bring should help enrollment immensely. 

And yes I bought another 3000 shares today.
If you are being honest on the number of shares, you might want to trim as the vaccine news is hammering you. You advised buying at $30+ and also said you DCA’d down so that you were close to even in the $12s. Based on throwing down another $35k like nothing on Friday and the shares to DCA down from over $30 to $12, you are probably invested at around $200k and today’s hit will sting.

I still don’t fully believe everything you’ve posted, but don’t wish anyone to lose money. Be careful with risky stuff. Based on the Ant Group IPO postponing in part due to the amount of lending/margin to buy shares, there is a lot of over leveraged buyers out there. A big drop would wipe some folks out.

If someone handed a scientist THE vaccine right now it would take several months to a year to work out and execute the logistics of its distribution, assuming people even take it.

Right now the US is over 100k new cases per day and soon to be near 200k with winter and the holidays coming.

They are gonna need to pass a ginormous stimulus package to keep 90% of the businesses out of bankruptcy.  

What does this mean for the market moving forward?  No clue.  I have no idea how any of this works
Honestly? It seems nobody does. 

Anything in particular you are looking to trim?
JPM

BA

XOM

CVX

PEO

GLPI

BLMN (Still have some)

MGM (Still have some)

CAT

In my mutual fund portfolios we are doing full scale rebalancing back to target today. 

All Growth - 100% stock (will build 15% Cash/GNMA in this one)

Aggressive Growth -  80/20 stocks to bonds (will shave the equity portion back to 80% as they are sitting at just shy of 90% equity right now)

Growth - 70/30 Stocks to bonds (will shave equity back to 70% from close to 80%)

Growth and Income - 60/40 stocks to bonds (will shave equity back to 50% from 65%-67% as we head into 2021) These are more more conservative clients who despise volatility and high beta.....and this portfolio has been a rock for the last 20 years. We have been aggressive since 2009 with a 60% equity target and it has served us well. And we have tactically went to 50% equites several times and we are doing it again heading into 2021.

I am expecting a very difficult year in 2021 overall for stocks. I am setting very low expectations and have been since October. Yield and asset allocation will be key for next year as the markets digest the damage and destruction Covid-19 has done to the country in broad strokes. 

More comments coming. Market opened.....time to work.

JPM

BA

XOM

CVX

PEO

GLPI

BLMN (Still have some)

MGM (Still have some)

CAT

In my mutual fund portfolios we are doing full scale rebalancing back to target today. 

All Growth - 100% stock (will build 15% Cash/GNMA in this one)

Aggressive Growth -  80/20 stocks to bonds (will shave the equity portion back to 80% as they are sitting at just shy of 90% equity right now)

Growth - 70/30 Stocks to bonds (will shave equity back to 70% from close to 80%)

Growth and Income - 60/40 stocks to bonds (will shave equity back to 50% from 65%-67% as we head into 2021) These are more more conservative clients who despise volatility and high beta.....and this portfolio has been a rock for the last 20 years. We have been aggressive since 2009 with a 60% equity target and it has served us well. And we have tactically went to 50% equites several times and we are doing it again heading into 2021.

I am expecting a very difficult year in 2021 overall for stocks. I am setting very low expectations and have been since October. Yield and asset allocation will be key for next year as the markets digest the damage and destruction Covid-19 has done to the country in broad strokes. 

More comments coming. Market opened.....time to work.
Finally hopping off the PPL bus this morning.  It's been a wonderful ride.  Thanks for this one.

A big drop would wipe some folks out.
And the only way I'll get well. Honestly, it's too low to sell here, I'll get out when the overreaction is over. Either way, I'll be typing with my tongue, as my fingers will be heavily bandaged.

First step in an all-Covid-clear, but still a ways away.    Just the beginning of record highs, IMO.   There's so much money out there to be deployed and I don't see the Fed easing back for years (if ever???).  

Just my thoughts here.  I'm no Pro.  Just betting a huge Bull for the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trimmed more NRGU (about Half what my max was) and cut my FAS position in half too.  If they continue to rise tomorrow, this week, I'll close both.  I think these sectors have a lot more to recoup yet from their March lows, but I won't ride it out in leveraged ETFs.  

Can someone tell me why ROKU and NFLX are getting bashed and DIS isn’t? They had not participated in the drop that hit a lot of the other CV hit businesses (remember their revenue dropped $10B last Q) because they were going all in on Disney+. Now that a vaccine is here that doesn’t matter?

I’m getting whacked pretty good, although some of the 5G stocks are doing well so that helps. Really glad I sold most of my ZM and FSLY at $570 and $135. Probably should have sold all but still good for a few more years.

Going to be some really interesting moves up and down bear term. I can’t wait for a real vaccine and here’s to none of us catching this thing until then.

DHT reports earnings today.  Estimate is $0.278/sh.  Q2 actual was $0.81, which gave a $0.48 dividend.  

Profit taking an rebalancing like I said.

Great day to do this. 
Yes.  This.  The Pfizer news today was great--and I don't want come across as being a "Debbie downer".  A vaccine is great for the world and great for the markets. With that said---  in my opinion--the market is over reacting to the news.   Even with a 90% effectiveness---that still means that a highly transmissible disease is still 10% effective in infecting some of the vaccinated.  We also know that there will be tens of (if not a hundred) millions of people that will refuse to take a vaccine.   Lastly--we know that best case scenario--for this to get distributed and given to the masses--we are still several months out.  We also do not know exactly how long the vaccine is effective for. Again--I love the news--and I do think it's very promising for the market---but the market is jumping too high today.   Very smart advice to re-balance a bit imo.    I recently sold some of my precious metals for a healthy profit--and if those continue to drop--I'll be buying some back. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me why ROKU and NFLX are getting bashed and DIS isn’t? They had not participated in the drop that hit a lot of the other CV hit businesses (remember their revenue dropped $10B last Q) because they were going all in on Disney+. Now that a vaccine is here that doesn’t matter?

I’m getting whacked pretty good, although some of the 5G stocks are doing well so that helps. Really glad I sold most of my ZM and FSLY at $570 and $135. Probably should have sold all but still good for a few more years.

Going to be some really interesting moves up and down bear term. I can’t wait for a real vaccine and here’s to none of us catching this thing until then.
People excited about Disney parks back to normal is my guess.  

Any early insights on good companies getting irrationally pummeled today? Got some dry powder to put to use.....
Hold off is my thought. I’ve got a lot more dry powder after trimming a couple things that were up 20-30% on Friday. I could see some more blood letting and some stuff that popped settling. I mean it’s really funny that Biden is completely pro-clean energy and the vaccine is good news but how many months away are we from knowing it truly works and it’s available?

I’m not a short term guy either. I don’t plan to dip my toes in today, unless that stock hadn’t taken a big rise. I like Zynga. Had a great quarter revenue wise but didn’t have a great earnings. It’s also probably in a WFH bucket although whether there’s a vaccine or not, people won’t suddenly stop using their phones. 

People excited about Disney parks back to normal is my guess.  
Oh, I get that, but they never dropped due to that because of Disney+. Kind of like they got the WFH boost and now the park open boost (probably won’t hit bottom line until 12 months from now). Kind of like double dipping.

Wow this is ridiculous.

OHI up 18%, DFS up 13%, VNQ up 10%. 

Not to mention the hotels and Cruise lines. 

Zero chance they stay this far up all week.

Sitting on a good bunch of PPL and EXC.  I'm conflicted, so probably just going to sit on these.  If 2021 sucks like Todem says then utes are a decent place to be.
If ever anyone is a good contrarian indicator and sells too early it's me, so odds are big time in your favor.  To your point, the decision now is what to do with the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread