What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (31 Viewers)

Good God.

In my younger more foolish days I would have entered my positions in CEF, EXK and IAG trying to catch what "should be" the bottom. In two days I'd be down over 8% and holding stocks that just crashed though support.

I can't wait to own these stocks and I was really hopeful that the time was going to be within the next few weeks. But after yesterday It's looking like months if at all.

Good God.

In my younger more foolish days I would have entered my positions in CEF, EXK and IAG trying to catch what "should be" the bottom. In two days I'd be down over 8% and holding stocks that just crashed though support.

I can't wait to own these stocks and I was really hopeful that the time was going to be within the next few weeks. But after yesterday It's looking like months if at all.
I bought a very modest block of IAG at $6.46 so I'm only down 11%. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I'm not a trader (nor especially bright) and I plan on holding at least a year so my time horizon is a lot different than many of you.

Also bought some X ( :unsure: ) at $18 and have an order for $17 if it hits that again... also a long-term outlook.

Good God.

I bought a very modest block of IAG at $6.46 so I'm only down 11%. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I'm not a trader (nor especially bright) and I plan on holding at least a year so my time horizon is a lot different than many of you.

Also bought some X ( :unsure: ) at $18 and have an order for $17 if it hits that again... also a long-term outlook.
I think Gold and Silver are in a lot of trouble right now. tread carefully sir. I think GLD could hit 120 without blinking an eye.

I think the lesson in this thread is not to buy or sell or hold anything based on guys on an Internet message board that claim to know what they're talking about. Or at least learn how to better spot those who really do know what they're talking about. Because I, personally, have gotten hammered every which way but loose by being dumb enough to listen to others, which has led me to buy high, sell low and sit on turd after turd. I won't ever repeat these mistakes.

I think the lesson in this thread is not to buy or sell or hold anything based on guys on an Internet message board that claim to know what they're talking about. Or at least learn how to better spot those who really do know what they're talking about. Because I, personally, have gotten hammered every which way but loose by being dumb enough to listen to others, which has led me to buy high, sell low and sit on turd after turd. I won't ever repeat these mistakes.
i think that there are stock message boards where you can learn from some trusted people.

With this message board, you get some seasoned players with wisdom to share, and you get a few investing hacks... Or people that are doing things with money in different types of accounts that don't align with your goals.

I tried to follow what dodds was doing 2 years ago with nvda and a few others and got rocked while he made money because i didn't realize he was buying massive positions and flipping them if it moved a few pennies.

However, i've gotten consistently fantastic tips from the income traders message boards and websites i goto..... but those aren't sexy trades that go up 10-20-100% in a few months.

i'd prefer to grind out several small victories than be boom/bust.

Or people that are doing things with money in different types of accounts that don't align with your goals.

I tried to follow what dodds was doing 2 years ago with nvda and a few others and got rocked while he made money because i didn't realize he was buying massive positions and flipping them if it moved a few pennies.
Such an important point. Two people can buy and sell the same stock with dramatically different results base on when and how they trade it. Best to use a message board for ideas to research and put into your own plan vs for tips.

I bought another 100 ounces of silver today bringing my hoard up to 400. :pirate:
Bought another 100 ounces today so 500 now. :pirate: I got it at $24.35.

The shop was insanely packed with people buying silver and gold. It sounded more like a bar on a Sunday afternoon during the football season than a jewelry store. Not sure I'm too happy about the number of buyers but I'll be buying more if it continues to drop.

i'm losing paper boatloads today.....

the whole sell in may concept seems to be coming early.

I bought another 100 ounces of silver today bringing my hoard up to 400. :pirate:

The shop was insanely packed with people buying silver and gold. It sounded more like a bar on a Sunday afternoon during the football season than a jewelry store. Not sure I'm too happy about the number of buyers but I'll be buying more if it continues to drop.
Spot on silver right now is $22.80.

You can't get an oz of silver, junk or otherwise, for less then $30 on ebay right now.

The exchange can bite me.

You can't get an oz of silver, junk or otherwise, for less then $30 on ebay right now.

Just checked it out, wow. So I could make $6.50-$7.00 an ounce just on the stuff I bought today. :unsure:

Just checked it out, wow. So I could make $6.50-$7.00 an ounce just on the stuff I bought today. :unsure:
This makes me think of an episode of Pawn Stars, where they were negotiating with an old man who had a sweet classic roadster that the Pawn guys really wanted. He wanted 100k for it. They tried to bargain, but he wouldn't budge. Then Rick asked him what he really wanted. He said gold. They offered him 95k in gold and he took it. This was a few years ago, I'm thinking the old man made out pretty good. Also: Pawn shops have gold and silver.

This makes me think of an episode of Pawn Stars, where they were negotiating with an old man who had a sweet classic roadster that the Pawn guys really wanted. He wanted 100k for it. They tried to bargain, but he wouldn't budge. Then Rick asked him what he really wanted. He said gold. They offered him 95k in gold and he took it. This was a few years ago, I'm thinking the old man made out pretty good. Also: Pawn shops have gold and silver.
Funny, I was thinking about that too. Of course the whole thing is staged so who knows if a transaction actually took place. I'm pretty sure they would love to complete every transaction in gold or silver since they buy for less than spot and sell for more than spot.

Just called my local guy to buy some junk silver. he said he "was totally wiped out yesterday".

I think that's french for "I can sell for way more online".

Just called my local guy to buy some junk silver. he said he "was totally wiped out yesterday".

I'm telling you, my cousin's place was mobbed yesterday. I got the last 10, 10oz bars they had. There were 40-50 people in there with wads of hundreds trying to buy everything they could. Of course my cousin said he could order more and it would be there today. Maybe not, maybe demand really was that great. He's a really sharp guy though so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

FWIW

Just for fun. Here's my cycle analysis on gold (GLD). Near term.

Daily Trend= Sell

Weekly Trend= Sell

First support now is at $128.50

After that is $115

After that is into the $70's.

I show 5/17/13 (on or abouts) as an important cycle date. My guess is this will be a low. The question is: will it be below $128.50?

Near term (over the next few days) it should move towards $136.50- a place of significant resistance.

*Note think of support and resistance price levels as zones not lines in the sand.

Odds that $128.50 get hit= extremely high

Odds that $115 get hit = very high

Odds that $70's get hit= really don't know.

Long term it looks like it will take months and months and months before GLD will resolve this bear trend. The slope on the trend is extremely steep and pointing down.

My gut says these lows will present a great opportunity years out. But I think many are going to feel major pain before this gets resolved.

I'm telling you, my cousin's place was mobbed yesterday. I got the last 10, 10oz bars they had. There were 40-50 people in there with wads of hundreds trying to buy everything they could. Of course my cousin said he could order more and it would be there today. Maybe not, maybe demand really was that great. He's a really sharp guy though so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.

FWIW
Well he was going to call be back today as soon as he had something.....I'm still waiting.

If they would sell me junk silver at 19X or less I was going to buy a little. I don't feel the need to rush out as this is going to be our last chance to buy or anything.

FWIW
Well he was going to call be back today as soon as he had something.....I'm still waiting.

If they would sell me junk silver at 19X or less I was going to buy a little. I don't feel the need to rush out as this is going to be our last chance to buy or anything.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see the spot drop farther.

Geez, is it time to buy AAPL yet or what?

It's current P/E is 9.5 (MSFT is 15.9 and GOOG is 24.25)

Current Yield is 2.5 (MSFT is 1.82)

It's sitting on 137B in cash

It still has a great product in the iPhone and iPad and Mac lovers all over the world.

I've never been a huge fan, but at this price, I mean hell, just dividends alone are better than a bank account. wtf :confused:

AAPL has been pretty quiet lately. Will be interesting to see next week's earnings report and what they may say about new product timetable or dividend increase..

It still has a great product in the iPhone and iPad and Mac lovers all over the world.

I've never been a huge fan, but at this price, I mean hell, just dividends alone are better than a bank account. wtf :confused:
Why would you even think about dividends on a stock that's declined about 40% on value? It's like my dad getting excited about $1.50 pimento sandwiches at the Masters when the tickets cost $500 a pop.

Why would you even think about dividends on a stock that's declined about 40% on value? It's like my dad getting excited about $1.50 pimento sandwiches at the Masters when the tickets cost $500 a pop.
Because if you are looking for a place to park 25-50k, do you want to put it in a one year cd earning 1%, or put it in a company with a rock solid balance sheet, yielding 2.5x that much, with a chance of capital appreciation (thus the reasons I pointed out the extremely low pe)?

I don't know why I even bothered responding to such a ridiculous post

Because if you are looking for a place to park 25-50k, do you want to put it in a one year cd earning 1%, or put it in a company with a rock solid balance sheet, yielding 2.5x that much, with a chance of capital appreciation (thus the reasons I pointed out the extremely low pe)?

No offense, but I agree with him. In the other thread, a few people were talking about the dividends over 100 points ago. It's lost two full years worth of dividends so far just today (and dividends aren't free, the stock price drops by the same amount when it goes ex-dividend). They are such a small factor that it really shouldn't be much of a consideration- focus on the other reasons to buy/sell.

Cash doesn't have a high yield nor does it portend multiple expansion.

The Ref said:

FWIW

I don't understand. Why would people be rushing to the stores to buy physical precious medals above spot while their price in the financial markets tank? I would expect that to happen when the price is spiking. Just curious.

No offense, but I agree with him. In the other thread, a few people were talking about the dividends over 100 points ago. It's lost two full years worth of dividends so far just today (and dividends aren't free, the stock price drops by the same amount when it goes ex-dividend). They are such a small factor that it really shouldn't be much of a consideration- focus on the other reasons to buy/sell.
Fair enough. No reason for me to discuss further, sorry for snippy reply.

To be clear, I'm only speaking about the dividend aspect- sure their yield is better than a savings account, but your overall rate of return is what is important. 2.5% is really a non-factor when you're talking about a stock that moves as much as AAPL.

The Ref said:

FWIW

I don't understand. Why would people be rushing to the stores to buy physical precious medals above spot while their price in the financial markets tank? I would expect that to happen when the price is spiking. Just curious.
The physical market is a bit different than the paper market in a few ways- leverage, margin, time frame, etc. You can't always get physical if the paper price falls too quickly because supply tends to get very tight.

i want to put that 50K in preferred stocks, exchange traded debt, and collect my 5-7% and have a lot less risk of loss of capital

To be clear, I'm only speaking about the dividend aspect- sure their yield is better than a savings account, but your overall rate of return is what is important. 2.5% is really a non-factor when you're talking about a stock that moves as much as AAPL.
This is what I was trying to say. I'd invest in AAPL if you think that the market has undercalled it's future forecasts and you believe that capital appreciation is there. I don't know where AAPL stock will be in 1 year, but I would bet heavily that it's not within 7% of its current price, thus making the dividend aspect moot.

Case in point, it lost another year's worth of dividends today, now up to 2 1/2 year's worth since your original post yesterday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just hammered through this whole thing. I had lost the stock thread because I was looking for the old one. A bit late to the game.

Some decent advice on here lately about following your own path. I too didn’t understand the volume’s of Dodds trades and wasn’t realizing any of the gains. And I got really burned on a couple randoms that I listened to folks and didn’t understand that they were basically micro-trading it. (Formation Metals I think- what a dog that was)

I’m more of a long guy or looking for more obvious short term gains. I try to balance conservative and dividend buys – with “gut picks” that I think will trend up either soon or my buy and hold and hope they land the tech that will make them blow up. Not heavy in the latter, I prefer to pick what I know and understand from a business perspective. Here’s what I’m playing in, any thoughts?

My big winners:

DAL – Travel a LOT. United and American service has gotten habitually worse, which I didn’t think was possible. United – Cont merger screwed bus travelers hard. Which tend to be very loyal to an airline. Massive switch to Delta in FF programs. Delta, in spite of casual travelers whining has really done a great job on improving OTA and service.

BMY – Solid stock

GMCR – Got in at the beginning, rode it to 100. Sold it. Then some ahole shorted it hard and trumped up some financial irr charges, stock crashed, bought it again. Been to their corp hq in Vermont, good people, solid company.

BRK.B – I will own it forever. I thank Warren for dropping it enough to let me in.

DIS – 3 MAJOR solid bases to pull revenue. With an unknown 4 R&Q churning out some really good stuff on physical reconition. Think they are poised to move up another level on earnings

GLW – RD on GorGlass kept the Apple contact exclusive and has every major phone. My mess up on PANL- which I thought would get a piece led me here.

C – ehh..

Risky

FNV/SAND/RGLD/SLW – I jumped here just in the past week because I think the floor on minerals/mining should be close. We’ll see.

ARNA – Complete dream bet. Their fat pill passed 1st round, if they get it to market, I’m a genius. If they don’t, well…. Sitting about where I bought it 1.5/2 years ago.

LTBR – New Nuke reaction tech on cores I’m praying will get adopted, bigger win if the DOE pulls their head out of their butt and signs up for Thorium.

ALVR- 1:10 stock split. Usually very bad news. And I’m not confident this isn’t the worst stock move yet.

IRBT – Drones and the little robot vaccuum’s. I think our future is in remote warfare and they are big players

DMND – Got rocked on financials. Their stock should be double and they’re market share is fine. Either they’ll slow play back up or they are VERY ripe for takeover.

CAG – heavy here. They are finally getting the value from SAP implementation of 05. Ralcorp purchase puts them in #1 in several Store brands and makes them uber powerful in Commerical. Popped 36 but could go even farther. Holding for now.

My bombs

PANL - Jeebus Bad decision all around.

CLWR – Suckered into their early 4G in Cali story. They stalled and got blown by. Stock is darn near worthless. Just waiting for something to push them over 4 and I’m out.

ZNGA – Last IPO I ever do. I should have known better. No dividend and no P/E. Stay away. Hoping for something in Mobile to get me out of it.

ZNGA – Last IPO I ever do. I should have known better. No dividend and no P/E. Stay away. Hoping for something in Mobile to get me out of it.
That's my pick for the stock market contest. I don't trust management enough to put in real money. Successfully executing a mobile strategy will help, but it is trading mostly now on speculation for success in online gambling.

I have been in and out of GLW a few times. It has had trouble getting/staying over 13.

(BTW, if you don't know, now that you've posted in the thread, you can locate it via My Content link in drop down menu top right)

I'm confident that this weeks winning Powerball numbers are:

5-13-21-34-55 with 8 as the Powerball.

Now if you go out pick those numbers and we lose. Whose fault is it?

There are only 2 reasons why someone gets creamed on a stock position.

#1- some kind of out of the blue black swan- completely random and might happen 1x out of 1000 - and not your fault.

#2- you didn't have a plan to start; didn't follow the plan; didn't have a stop loss; didn't follow the stop loss; let a winner turn to a loser... Completely your fault.

In the past I've checked out people's picks here. Checked them out to how they look on my charts. Most of the times they look terrible and I pass. Every now and then the charts look good as does the reasoning, and I may buy. I can recall DHT being one of those. Think it was at like $1.15 on the buy with a stop at $.90 (something like that). Charts on the buy looked good...but this one was a dog. Got stopped out at the $.90. #### happens. EXK was one that looked like a dog back then, and still looks like a dog today. I passed. If you are still in either and bitter because you have a huge loss... That's on you not the original poster. If your goal as an investor is to bat 1.000...you are in the wrong game.

Everyone says "I know...no one can be perfect." Everyone says "I have a plan". That is till they get punched in the mouth.

A plan is from discovery to buy execution to following to sell execution. You don't have a plan if you don't have a stop. You don't have a stop if you don't follow the stop. You don't have profits till you bank those profits by closing the position.

If you bought XYZ last year for $10 and it's now priced at $15. You don't have a 50% profit at least not for real until you sell.

The Apple thread is a perfect example of people who have had big gains evaporate through sheer stubbornness, and their "love" of a piece of paper. From my perspective their purchase of AAPL wasn't due to an organized plan, their Sept high paper profits wasn't due to skill if they still hold that position at whatever entry. Just because you are up a certain % in a bull market doesn't make you a savvy investor. Justify it however you want. Give a monkey enough at bats and he's bound to hit one out of the park every now and then. Doesn't make him a major leaguer...just a monkey that got lucky.

It's all when you sell...why you sell...when you bank profits...why you bank profits.

With all of that said...I take what I write on here seriously and always have skin in the game I talk. Even when I talk to folks on my blog or on twitter...if we talk through a position...I tend to take the same position with that person so that it has my full attention. Here I've tried to talk more strategy then specific picks. On my blog I've focused on sectors primarily to shy away from specifics stock picks. Tried to be more focused on teaching how or why than telling.

I don't have a statistic but if I've given up 10 picks and was right 7 times, but you happen to pick the 3 losers...I'm a pretty ####ty poster and that's on me. If you've held one of those losers beyond the initial stop that's on you.

The most important lesson of investing is to learn how not to lose money. It's after that is mastered when you can really learn how to make money. Hopefully here I've saved people money, and maybe the end result is that they've made a little too.

Personally I feel like we are at a stage of the market where I do my best work. But potential market turns are rife with tough decisions that test an investors will and fortitude. I'm not sure I'm up to that challenge on an internet forum. But will look forward to reading how other face the future.

Be safe and good luck!

I'm confident that this weeks winning Powerball numbers are:

5-13-21-34-55 with 8 as the Powerball.

Now if you go out pick those numbers and we lose. Whose fault is it?

There are only 2 reasons why someone gets creamed on a stock position.

#1- some kind of out of the blue black swan- completely random and might happen 1x out of 1000 - and not your fault.

#2- you didn't have a plan to start; didn't follow the plan; didn't have a stop loss; didn't follow the stop loss; let a winner turn to a loser... Completely your fault.

In the past I've checked out people's picks here. Checked them out to how they look on my charts. Most of the times they look terrible and I pass. Every now and then the charts look good as does the reasoning, and I may buy. I can recall DHT being one of those. Think it was at like $1.15 on the buy with a stop at $.90 (something like that). Charts on the buy looked good...but this one was a dog. Got stopped out at the $.90. #### happens. EXK was one that looked like a dog back then, and still looks like a dog today. I passed. If you are still in either and bitter because you have a huge loss... That's on you not the original poster. If your goal as an investor is to bat 1.000...you are in the wrong game.

Everyone says "I know...no one can be perfect." Everyone says "I have a plan". That is till they get punched in the mouth.

A plan is from discovery to buy execution to following to sell execution. You don't have a plan if you don't have a stop. You don't have a stop if you don't follow the stop. You don't have profits till you bank those profits by closing the position.

If you bought XYZ last year for $10 and it's now priced at $15. You don't have a 50% profit at least not for real until you sell.

The Apple thread is a perfect example of people who have had big gains evaporate through sheer stubbornness, and their "love" of a piece of paper. From my perspective their purchase of AAPL wasn't due to an organized plan, their Sept high paper profits wasn't due to skill if they still hold that position at whatever entry. Just because you are up a certain % in a bull market doesn't make you a savvy investor. Justify it however you want. Give a monkey enough at bats and he's bound to hit one out of the park every now and then. Doesn't make him a major leaguer...just a monkey that got lucky.

It's all when you sell...why you sell...when you bank profits...why you bank profits.

With all of that said...I take what I write on here seriously and always have skin in the game I talk. Even when I talk to folks on my blog or on twitter...if we talk through a position...I tend to take the same position with that person so that it has my full attention. Here I've tried to talk more strategy then specific picks. On my blog I've focused on sectors primarily to shy away from specifics stock picks. Tried to be more focused on teaching how or why than telling.

I don't have a statistic but if I've given up 10 picks and was right 7 times, but you happen to pick the 3 losers...I'm a pretty ####ty poster and that's on me. If you've held one of those losers beyond the initial stop that's on you.

The most important lesson of investing is to learn how not to lose money. It's after that is mastered when you can really learn how to make money. Hopefully here I've saved people money, and maybe the end result is that they've made a little too.

Personally I feel like we are at a stage of the market where I do my best work. But potential market turns are rife with tough decisions that test an investors will and fortitude. I'm not sure I'm up to that challenge on an internet forum. But will look forward to reading how other face the future.

Be safe and good luck!
The most important lesson of investing is to learn how not to lose money. - Yep. I should work on that lesson. :cool:

I always have looked at your rec's. If only because I know that you work hard at it and are playing attention.

I put a pretty big chunk into IBM on Friday at $190 and change.

This article covers many of the reasons I think it's a good bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Who is in NFLX? +47 in after hours
:jawdrop:
Could have had it for $50 a few months ago.
Crap. Got in at 65, but when it went up to 195 I had a trailing stop at -30, so that triggered in the recent slide below 165. Nice to have made 100 per share, but would have been nicer to bank another 40... :kicksrock:
Well you made $100 more then I did... nice job. You also didn't let a winner turn into a loser.

Wow. Who is in NFLX? +47 in after hours
:jawdrop:
Could have had it for $50 a few months ago.
Crap. Got in at 65, but when it went up to 195 I had a trailing stop at -30, so that triggered in the recent slide below 165. Nice to have made 100 per share, but would have been nicer to bank another 40... :kicksrock:
Well you made $100 more then I did... nice job. You also didn't let a winner turn into a loser.
:goodposting:

I put a pretty big chunk into IBM on Friday at $190 and change.

This article covers many of the reasons I think it's a good bet.
What is your projected hold time? With a miniscule dividend assuming you are looking for price appreciation?
I'll be buying tomorrow for my IRA account, that will be for a long term hold.

The purchase on Friday I had mostly earmarked for a trade, but it looks like I was a day early (maybe more depending on what happens the rest of this week).

My reasoning was that over the weekend sentiment would turn toward the drop being overdone, and Friday, I had hoped, would be the low.

The dividend is a nice bonus from my perspective, I see from a little reading that it is low compared to other tech companies, but I don't think IBM's dividend is miniscule, and again from reading I see that their dividend has a long history of steadily increasing.

Here's a few of the articles with IBM dividend commentary:

http://investorplace.com/2013/03/ibm-ibm-dividend-stock-analysis-hpq-ibm-acn-infy/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckcarnevale/2013/03/12/ibm-is-a-big-blue-chip-dividend-paying-stalwart-at-a-reasonable-price/

http://ycharts.com/companies/IBM/dividend_yield

I've got a bunch of seniors that are eager to jump into stocks. We've gone over them a ton and talked about using those play money programs to get a feel for it. But I have someone else do most of it for me so I admittedly don't know much about stocks. These kids want to do it themselves.

Any advice for these young first-time investors.

Users who are viewing this thread