What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (18 Viewers)

I bought another 100 ounces of silver today bringing my hoard up to 400. :pirate:
Just curious, whats your thoughts on actual silver vs an ETF or stock. Also do you see it as an alternative to gold to hedge against a pullback. Someone was mentioning it to me the other day....just wondering your gameplan.

I bought another 100 ounces of silver today bringing my hoard up to 400. :pirate:
Just curious, whats your thoughts on actual silver vs an ETF or stock. Also do you see it as an alternative to gold to hedge against a pullback. Someone was mentioning it to me the other day....just wondering your gameplan.
Silver is used in manufacturing all of these electronic gadgets so as the economy eventually gets better I would expect the demand to pick up. I also like to have some hard assets on hand just in case something stupid happens.

Silver is used in manufacturing all of these electronic gadgets so as the economy eventually gets better I would expect the demand to pick up. I also like to have some hard assets on hand just in case something stupid happens.
How much space is this taking up in your bug-out vehicle?

:lmao: :lmao: I'm not that crazy.

I just put in for my first IPO shares since Facebook, Pinnacle Foods. Totally different situation, but still nerve-wracking after the FB trainwreck.

where in the world are you actually finding that much physical silver?

May will mark the end of my first fiscal year of trading. Unlike the Dow and S&P which have seen over a 20% return, I recently surged into the black banking a profit of roughly .2%. Here are my holdings.

Old:

Nokia - I have had this since the summer at $3.30. I saw $1.65, I saw $4.65. I never sold so I'm pretty much married to it at this point.

Intel - It was rising like the phoenix around new years when I bought it. I was slow to the trigger, settling for low $21s

Last 10 days:

Ulta Salon, Cosmetics - I caught this at $73.80 after it fell 16% in one day. My current buying strategy is based around stocks like this. I scour Yahoo's biggest percent drop page looking for companies that have a good P/E and balance sheet, are coming off a big fall often because of a negative earnings report and sit near their 52 week low. I have yet to find 1 as attractive as Ulta.

Mercury General Corp - I don't know anything about them. I doubt they are involved in making Mercury Sables but the company fit my metrics so I bought it at $36.80.

Scholastic - They got hammered a week ago, $31 down to $26. I'm in at $26.36.

Intersections - No clue, but the numbers looked good and they offer a sexy dividend so I bought at $9.60.

Questcor - A medical company but they are profitable and diversified enough that I don't think some Phase 3 clinical study failure will send them spiraling down. I'm in at $32.80.

I put ~1,000 on each and hope to turn a 10% profit, except for Nokia which I plan to hold for the long haul. Ulta is getting close to the point where I have to consider selling.

Nothing has been jumping out at me the last 2 days but I think I will buy Gordman Stores and Family Dollar tomorrow.

Gordman Stores (GMAN) fell from $14 to $12 a couple days ago because of their earnings report. They are an expanding chain of retail stores and their numbers look good to me. Since their IPO 3 years they have fallen numerous times but they've always found support at $12. I want to get in before the bounce.

Family Dollar (FDO) sits at $59.50. I've been looking at it since New Years when it fell from $64 to $55. It's moved up this last month. Earnings is in 2 weeks and the bar is set low so I expect them to surprise. I wish I had gotten in at $55 but better late than never. Also, looking at 2009 when the market crashed they didn't lose too much. Recession proof, count me in.

Thoughts? Know of any stocks that I might be interested in?

:lmao:

Bought FDO at 58.93 and GMAN at 11.86. Hudson Technologies (HDSN) is crashing, from $5 to 4 today. Where is the bottom? Is it worth buying?

I just put in for my first IPO shares since Facebook, Pinnacle Foods. Totally different situation, but still nerve-wracking after the FB trainwreck.
Did you get it at $20? Already up over 10%, good call. I was looking for it last night but it wasn't listed under its full name at Yahoo. How do you buy an IPO before it begins selling?

Did you get it at $20? Already up over 10%, good call. I was looking for it last night but it wasn't listed under its full name at Yahoo. How do you buy an IPO before it begins selling?
I was not allocated any shares. If your broker gets IPO shares you can complete a Conditional Offer To Purchase after filling out a suitibility(sp?) profile. After the IPO prices you have a certain amount of time to affirm your request and then shares are allocated. It is tough to get a decent amount -or any- if there is good demand. When I got my full request for Facebook shares, I knew there was a problem!PF just started trading this morning a little after the market opened, so you would not have been able to find it listed on Yahoo yesterday.

May will mark the end of my first fiscal year of trading. Unlike the Dow and S&P which have seen over a 20% return, I recently surged into the black banking a profit of roughly .2%. Here are my holdings.

Old:

Nokia - I have had this since the summer at $3.30. I saw $1.65, I saw $4.65. I never sold so I'm pretty much married to it at this point.

Intel - It was rising like the phoenix around new years when I bought it. I was slow to the trigger, settling for low $21s

Last 10 days:

Ulta Salon, Cosmetics - I caught this at $73.80 after it fell 16% in one day. My current buying strategy is based around stocks like this. I scour Yahoo's biggest percent drop page looking for companies that have a good P/E and balance sheet, are coming off a big fall often because of a negative earnings report and sit near their 52 week low. I have yet to find 1 as attractive as Ulta.

Mercury General Corp - I don't know anything about them. I doubt they are involved in making Mercury Sables but the company fit my metrics so I bought it at $36.80.

Intersections - No clue, but the numbers looked good and they offer a sexy dividend so I bought at $9.60.

Questcor - A medical company but they are profitable and diversified enough that I don't think some Phase 3 clinical study failure will send them spiraling down. I'm in at $32.80.

I put ~1,000 on each and hope to turn a 10% profit, except for Nokia which I plan to hold for the long haul. Ulta is getting close to the point where I have to consider selling.

Nothing has been jumping out at me the last 2 days but I think I will buy Gordman Stores and Family Dollar tomorrow.

Gordman Stores (GMAN) fell from $14 to $12 a couple days ago because of their earnings report. They are an expanding chain of retail stores and their numbers look good to me. Since their IPO 3 years they have fallen numerous times but they've always found support at $12. I want to get in before the bounce.

Family Dollar (FDO) sits at $59.50. I've been looking at it since New Years when it fell from $64 to $55. It's moved up this last month. Earnings is in 2 weeks and the bar is set low so I expect them to surprise. I wish I had gotten in at $55 but better late than never. Also, looking at 2009 when the market crashed they didn't lose too much. Recession proof, count me in.

Have you back-tested this strategy?

Old:

Last 10 days:

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm just winging it. But looking at the charts, usually after a big fall there is a later date when you can sell for a profit.What do you think of HDSN? I'm watching this thing like a shy schoolboy. I want to jump in but I've missed it at 3.79 twice. It's at 3.97 now. I'm worried that it might have more drops in store.

I just got 200 shares of HDSN at $3.85. I had the order for 270 but it only partially executed. Oh well. I have to go to lunch now and I'm not gonna have computer access until after the final bell. Should I set a stop loss? I could see this stock closing at $3.00 somehow.

Old:

Last 10 days:

I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm just winging it. But looking at the charts, usually after a big fall there is a later date when you can sell for a profit.What do you think of HDSN? I'm watching this thing like a shy schoolboy. I want to jump in but I've missed it at 3.79 twice. It's at 3.97 now. I'm worried that it might have more drops in store.
I think your strategy would be difficult to implement for the nimblest and savviest of traders. For someone "winging it"...it is nearly impossible. That you've broken even in a very bullish market speaks to that. You're playing a long shot strategy. A 3rd and very long.Have you considered a Costanza Style Strategy?

ie: Scan for value fundamentals and companies who gap up on good earnings. Go back and compare the results and see which is better.

Professional traders don't look for long shots- they look for sure things.

The secret to this game is this: Fall 9 times. Get up 10.

picked up 100 shares of AHT-D at $25.20. Yields about 8.2% .

The CEO was on Cramer the other night, Cramer blasted him for not calling his preferred stocks, and re-issuing at a lower rate (something that REITs have been doing a lot of lately).

AHT adamantly stated they would no do this and were comfortable with how things were.

This stock was barely above par just after a distribution this week.. my downside if its called (it's already past it's possible call date) is very minimal and it's extremely hard to find decent issues from decent companies that are throwing off over 8% that aren't well over par.

Can anyone help me out here? I just got a K-1 in the mail from ProShares Ultra DJ-UBS Crude Oil (UCO) for some shares I held briefly this past summer. I held for about six weeks and then sold all of it for a small profit.

But this was all within a Roth IRA, so why I am getting a K-1, and was I supposed to report this as income on my taxes (that are already filed)?

It's classifying most of the profit as a net short-term capital gain (box 8) and the rest as other income (box 11).

Old:

Last 10 days:

I think your strategy would be difficult to implement for the nimblest and savviest of traders. For someone "winging it"...it is nearly impossible. That you've broken even in a very bullish market speaks to that. You're playing a long shot strategy. A 3rd and very long.Have you considered a Costanza Style Strategy?

I don't know if I would call any of my recent investments long shots. All of the companies have positive earnings. I'm just more comfortable buying on the way down than on the way up. It may be flawed strategy but with the market at an all time high I figure profitable companies that have already dropped are less likely to suffer a severe correction in the event of a market collapse. Ulta looked like a sure thing to me and it has risen 10% in less than 2 weeks. I'm bound to get burnt eventually, especially making impulse buys like HDSN today. But the fundamentals of the strategy are solid. When profitable companies fall they usually bounce back. If I see a company down 35% and they are being investigated for fraud I'm going to think twice.

Lets see if I can outpace the market over the next few months. Last year I hardly made any trades and if I had held onto my stocks (CLWR, NFLX, LUV) I would be up 50%+. I know, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Can anyone help me out here? I just got a K-1 in the mail from ProShares Ultra DJ-UBS Crude Oil (UCO) for some shares I held briefly this past summer. I held for about six weeks and then sold all of it for a small profit.But this was all within a Roth IRA, so why I am getting a K-1, and was I supposed to report this as income on my taxes (that are already filed)? It's classifying most of the profit as a net short-term capital gain (box 8) and the rest as other income (box 11).
1) did you get a distribution?2) did you make more than $1000 off the fund?Odds are you don't have to do anything

Just talked to someone pumping up LNCO.....anyone followed it?
I got in 5k worth for my ROTH account a couple of months ago. I did quite a bit of research on it, and found it looked pretty solid, especially for the 7% dividend. There is quite a bit of confusion about how some of it is paid out, and paying taxes on it,i.e. redistribution of income. If you have it in a ROTH, it takes the worry out.

Can anyone help me out here? I just got a K-1 in the mail from ProShares Ultra DJ-UBS Crude Oil (UCO) for some shares I held briefly this past summer. I held for about six weeks and then sold all of it for a small profit.But this was all within a Roth IRA, so why I am getting a K-1, and was I supposed to report this as income on my taxes (that are already filed)? It's classifying most of the profit as a net short-term capital gain (box 8) and the rest as other income (box 11).
1) did you get a distribution?2) did you make more than $1000 off the fund?Odds are you don't have to do anything
No and no. I assumed they just send it to everyone, whether the person really needs to report it as income or not. I just didn't know if there was somehow some different rule because of the type of fund it was or something.

Siffoin I am trying to read balance sheets, income statements and cash flow but I don't really understand them. On the balance sheets what are retained earnings, treasury stock, and capital surplus? The income statements and cash flow have me very confused. How can a company have a net income of $65 million but net assets only increase by $1 million? I assume liabilities are included in the cost of revenue?

I'm looking at OmniVision Technologies (OVTI). The total cash flow from operating activities for year ending Apr 2012 on Yahoo's cash flow doesn't even add up right. Year ending Apr 2011 doesn't add up right either but I think that's because accounts receivable is listed as negative when it should have been positive.

Can you explain some of these things to me in a way I might understand? Also what are your thoughts on OVTI?

where in the world are you actually finding that much physical silver?
I have a family member that owns a jewelry and coin shop. Shoot, he has that and much more on hand all the time. Pretty sure lots of places are like that.

Siffoin I am trying to read balance sheets, income statements and cash flow but I don't really understand them. On the balance sheets what are retained earnings, treasury stock, and capital surplus? The income statements and cash flow have me very confused. How can a company have a net income of $65 million but net assets only increase by $1 million? I assume liabilities are included in the cost of revenue?

I'm looking at OmniVision Technologies (OVTI). The total cash flow from operating activities for year ending Apr 2012 on Yahoo's cash flow doesn't even add up right. Year ending Apr 2011 doesn't add up right either but I think that's because accounts receivable is listed as negative when it should have been positive.

Can you explain some of these things to me in a way I might understand? Also what are your thoughts on OVTI?
Balance Sheet: Follows formula of Total Assets = Total Liabilities + Total Equity. Assets are good guys, things which make the business run. Cash, marketable securities, inventory at period end to be in various stages (raw materials to make product, work in process inventory, and finished goods to be sold to customers), fixed assets used to manufacture inventory, land, etc. Liabilities are outstanding debts of the company that are due in the near term (current liabilities) and future (long term liabilities). Total equity outlines the value of the shares of the company outstanding with current shareholders, broken out by preferred stock, common stock/additional paid-in capital, accumulated other comprehensive income, and retained earnings.Income Statement: Schedule of change in retained earnings, detailing money taken in by the business, and expenses incurred to generate that income for the current period. Net Income is then added to retained earnings at the beginning of the period, less any dividends paid to investors (if applicable) and shares of stock bought back by the company itself called treasury stock (done, for example, to save on dividend payments via reduction of the number of shares held by third parties).

Cash Flows: A reconciliation of actual sources and uses of cash from the beginning balance of cash to the ending balance of cash. This is broken into operating, investing, and financing activities of the business as it relates to how cash was utilized in all scenarios, supplemented by specific scenarios.

The financial statements really tell a story of how a business performed during a specific time period once you have an understanding as to how they are generated and what they present. Investors use this information to analyze company performance and calculate various liquidity metrics to be better able to compare a company to its competitors and make educated investment decisions.

Don't take this the wrong way, as I don't mean to be snarky. There's an absolute ton more detail into how financial statements are generated and what they mean/how they are intended to be interpreted. I'm an accountant so I learned all of the things that I do in school. A 101 level class would give you all of the information that you need to be better able to analyze an income statement/balance sheet/statement of cash flows to make investment decisions for your portfolio, teaching you everything you'd need to build a base knowledge before learning more from a finance/investing in the market perspective. In lieu of diving into as much detail as a class might provide to you, I'd take a look at this site which I just saw via Google search, which seems to lay out the basics in bite size forms: My link

Hope that helps, I'll leave to the rest of you guys for individual stock guidance.

man, the S&P 500 total return is officially kicking my portfolio's butt now... i was out performing for awhile..

IAG is trading below cash...not sustainable. 1Billion in cash on the balance sheet. It's a double in two years at worst
This from a guy I know who runs his own investment firm. He thinks IAG is a steal right now. Hmmmmmm....

Slapdash said:
tommyGunZ said:
IAG is trading below cash...not sustainable. 1Billion in cash on the balance sheet. It's a double in two years at worst
This from a guy I know who runs his own investment firm. He thinks IAG is a steal right now. Hmmmmmm....
IAG's market cap is about 3x its cash on hand. Am I missing something here?
Every miner in the world is trading like a manure cologne company. Find me one miner that you would like to have your money in over the past 18 months.

EXK is trading with a 5 handle again and looks like it may test 5.13 again. If it breaks below that $4.23 looks like the next leg down.

CEF isn't a miner per se but I like it as a barometer of gold/silver. It's nearing a critical point at $18.20ish.

SSRI is getting ready to break down though resistance at $10. next stop is the $8.50ish 2008 low when silver was sub $10. Beyond that we are headed back to 2003 prices of $4-$5.

If there was ever a sector wide case study that shows "yeah it's cheap, but you might be able to buy it cheaper" it the miners. So long as the Fed keeps the printing press going there is going to be real money to be made in the years to come, esp if we do start to see some of these companies trade at 2008 or lower levels.

IAG

$5.4B in Assets = $1.7B Liabilities and $3.7B Equity.

Current assets are $1.4B. We could buy this company, buy out most of the liabilities with the current assets on hand and sell off the $3.3B of PP&E for $.50 on the dollar and mail everyone a check for $4.

Wheres Gordon Gecko when you need him.

IAG

Current assets are $1.4B. We could buy this company, buy out most of the liabilities with the current assets on hand and sell off the $3.3B of PP&E for $.50 on the dollar and mail everyone a check for $4.

:likethisbutton:

Please find more like this and report back.

:cool:

Mquinnjr, thank you for the break down on the terminology. Also that site looks pretty informative. I skimmed through some of the sections, one of these days I will sit down and read it thoroughly. For now I'm putting my trading slips on the shelf. HDSN soured me on the whole business. I wish I could say I sold when it bounced above 4 but I was too afraid of missing out on the big score. Yesterday morning I watched with sweaty palms as it slowly and steadily slid down. I couldn't sell. It's at 3.45 now and 2.45 doesn't look unrealistic. Still, I can't sell. I'm not a trader, just a degenerate gambler. I'll going to hold on to all my current stocks but I won't buy any more unless the whole market crashes like it did in 2009.

Serious question: Is it possible that silver will go to zero? :clyde:
Buying at $1.00
I'd buy at any semi-meaningful floor at or around $10. As bad as things got in the crash spot only fell below $10 for a few days and it was "good luck" trying to get anyone to actually sell you silver near that price physically. Silver cost $10 for 7.2 oz in 1964 per the ratio of silver in coinage and the money supply is so much larger today then it was pre gold window closing I can't ever see Silver ever being under $5 an oz again, the math of dollars to silver just doesn't make sense baring some chemistry discovery that makes silver obsolete or abundant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mquinnjr, thank you for the break down on the terminology. Also that site looks pretty informative. I skimmed through some of the sections, one of these days I will sit down and read it thoroughly. For now I'm putting my trading slips on the shelf. HDSN soured me on the whole business. I wish I could say I sold when it bounced above 4 but I was too afraid of missing out on the big score. Yesterday morning I watched with sweaty palms as it slowly and steadily slid down. I couldn't sell. It's at 3.45 now and 2.45 doesn't look unrealistic. Still, I can't sell. I'm not a trader, just a degenerate gambler. I'll going to hold on to all my current stocks but I won't buy any more unless the whole market crashes like it did in 2009.
History is littered with losers who fall 9 times and get up 8.

Listen. The Costanza Trading was not meant as an insult. It's a goto- for me. Whenever I suffer a string of losing trades/investments - I am looking for the answer as to why. What if I had done the exact opposite? What if my instincts are 100% off? This game is about losing. I lose all the time. Being a successful trader is akin to being a successful athlete. It's easy to handle winning. It's how you handle losing that makes the difference.

Your method requires near perfection execution. Successfully trading your style would mostly mean very very tight stops and somewhat limited gains. In addition your win rate would probably be below 50% (just a guess). That's not to say you can't be successful with a win rate lower that 50%- you can- it's just that your better have damn good money managment practices and adhere to those methods religiously. It's not for someone "winging it."

Set a goal---and figure out the easiest way to achieve it. Write it down. Put that plan in motion. And afterwards- go back and figure out what you did right and what you did wrong. There's not a trading day that goes by that I don't go back and spend time looking at charts asking- what did I miss- how could I have done better today.

Try and figure out the answer to this question: what is the simplest and easiest way to make money in the stock market? I'm a big believer in following trends. But there are counter-trend traders who do quite well. There are value investors; contrarians; pure technicians; Elliott wave; Hurst cycles; hell there are even people who trade off the moon phase. There was a time I had my monkey - Bennie B. throw darts at the Wall Street Journal (jk) . Lot of ways to skin this cat.

One thing I can't stand is a quitter. Don't be the antelope who just gives up as the lions circle in for the kill. Get your ### off the ground and gore those mother ####ers right through their heart. You can do this. Don't give up. Figure it out.

Small caps have taken a beating the last few days after being on an absolute tear. Wonder if this is sign of bull market running out of steam. Russell 2000 flat today.

IAG

I put together a simple spreadsheet for this and entered information for a handful of stocks.

Link to Editable Google Doc

A few others I found with favorable ratios using the same train of thought as The Ref are NSU, URG and NOV.

I think it's also interesting to compare the effect of changing the percentage at which you value the net PP&E.

History is littered with losers who fall 9 times and get up 8.

Listen. The Costanza Trading was not meant as an insult. It's a goto- for me. Whenever I suffer a string of losing trades/investments - I am looking for the answer as to why. What if I had done the exact opposite? What if my instincts are 100% off? This game is about losing. I lose all the time. Being a successful trader is akin to being a successful athlete. It's easy to handle winning. It's how you handle losing that makes the difference.

Your method requires near perfection execution. Successfully trading your style would mostly mean very very tight stops and somewhat limited gains. In addition your win rate would probably be below 50% (just a guess). That's not to say you can't be successful with a win rate lower that 50%- you can- it's just that your better have damn good money managment practices and adhere to those methods religiously. It's not for someone "winging it."

Set a goal---and figure out the easiest way to achieve it. Write it down. Put that plan in motion. And afterwards- go back and figure out what you did right and what you did wrong. There's not a trading day that goes by that I don't go back and spend time looking at charts asking- what did I miss- how could I have done better today.

Try and figure out the answer to this question: what is the simplest and easiest way to make money in the stock market? I'm a big believer in following trends. But there are counter-trend traders who do quite well. There are value investors; contrarians; pure technicians; Elliott wave; Hurst cycles; hell there are even people who trade off the moon phase. There was a time I had my monkey - Bennie B. throw darts at the Wall Street Journal (jk) . Lot of ways to skin this cat.

One thing I can't stand is a quitter. Don't be the antelope who just gives up as the lions circle in for the kill. Get your ### off the ground and gore those mother ####ers right through their heart. You can do this. Don't give up. Figure it out.
Yes! Go team! There is still some fight left in this antelope. I sold ULTA today at 84, realizing a 14% gain. I bought it with the goal of 10% so even though currently that was my lone good stock I think it was best to stick to the original plan. Now I will lay in the brush and wait for something else to develop.

IAG

I put together a simple spreadsheet for this and entered information for a handful of stocks.

A few others I found with favorable ratios using the same train of thought as The Ref are NSU, URG and NOV.

I think it's also interesting to compare the effect of changing the percentage at which you value the net PP&E.
Great work here, ignoramus. Will take a look at this over the weekend, GB.

:thumbup:

IAG

Great work here, ignoramus. Will take a look at this over the weekend, GB.

:thumbup:
Great work indeed. I like it. I'll have a look at some of these tonight.

I was surprised at Google and yahoo.

ASYS is in a depressed solar market... Their full year consensus EPS estimate for their fiscal year end Sep 13 is -1.32. They're burning through their cash.

IAG's FY 13 consensus EPS was .83 as of 3/31/13 and the stock price was at 7.20, down from an estimate of 1.65 on 4/30/12 and a stock price of 12.40.

I think the prices on these stocks reflect their current outlook...

ETA: IAG does seem a bit cheap regardless of the eps drop

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone interested in options, mini options recently became available for a few high priced stocks, including Google, Amazon, and Apple. While a normal contract controls 100 shares of a stock, these control only ten. In the case of Google, that is a $7,780 commitment vs. a $77,800 commitment.

EXK's fwd P/E is 11.6 vs. IAG's 8.0. If IAG traded at a fwd P/E of 11.6 the stock price would be $9.62, a 45% increase from the price of $6.63 when I checked a bit ago. I guess the question then is, why the difference? EXK is mainly silver and IAG is mainly gold, right? Perhaps that's the reason? Or does EXK have a better long-term outlook?

Users who are viewing this thread