What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (1 Viewer)

Running QB that can't run, what's not to like
RG3 was my QB #1 to start the season. I was buying in to the hype he would return to his rookie form. My back up was Geno Smith. Then when RG3 went down (again), I was fortunate enough to pick up Austin Davis off waivers.

Is it wrong that I'm leaning more toward starting Davis over RG3 for this week and perhaps the rest of the year? It's almost like RG3 has forgotten how to play football since his rookie year. And I've got this feeling in my gut that 1) RG3 will get hurt again and 2) He will be ineffective and Cousins will be back in there.

:cry:

This seems like such a bad idea.
Has it really come to this? It's bad idea to play RGIII over Colt McCoy? His injury was supposedly a 6-8 week injury and sunday will be 7 weeks. Teammates have said that he looked ready to return 2 weeks ago.

This seems like such a bad idea.
Has it really come to this? It's bad idea to play RGIII over Colt McCoy? His injury was supposedly a 6-8 week injury and sunday will be 7 weeks. Teammates have said that he looked ready to return 2 weeks ago.
I have to agree. Seems like everyone's mind is made up that he is coming back 'too soon' or 'still injured'. I don't see the evidence for that and the previous regime is no longer in town.

Not saying he is a good start necessarily, but that is a separate concern.

They've never rushed him back from injury before, so I see nothing wrong with this. Who cares if there is a bye week coming up? He's able to come back before the Drs timeline and that's all that matters.

GoBirds said:
What a dumpster fire this has turned into.
What has?
From rookie of the year to alienated his teammates to where they had to leave the locker room to do an interview. Guy gets no respect.
His teammates were giving Tony Wylliie (Redskins PR guy --- remember "no means no" last week?) and the media a raft of ####. That's according to reporters in the room. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/02/jay-gruden-vehemently-denies-report-by-espns-britt-mchenry/?hpid=z2

That's what the uproar was about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how Gruden goes from saying Griffin is the starter when healthy to now saying he'll be evaluated each week after a game which saw Griffin play pretty well for the most part (given a two-month layoff). He certainly did enough on offense to lead Washington to the win. That loss wasn't on him or the offense in my opinion. But I don't understand what Gruden is doing here.

Making things worse.

That's what he's doing.

Have fun with that Washington.
That's what I thought too. I get the idea they still don't know for sure what they have with RGIII but that didn't seem to be what Gruden was saying. His comments were really odd in my opinion. Not sure if he misspoke or didn't articulate his point more intelligently or what. But it was an awfully strange thing to say one week after stating emphatically that Griffin was their starter when healthy.

Making things worse.

That's what he's doing.

Have fun with that Washington.
That's what I thought too. I get the idea they still don't know for sure what they have with RGIII but that didn't seem to be what Gruden was saying. His comments were really odd in my opinion. Not sure if he misspoke or didn't articulate his point more intelligently or what. But it was an awfully strange thing to say one week after stating emphatically that Griffin was their starter when healthy.
It was quite strange. Another equally strange thing to add to it is Gruden publicly criticizing Jason Hatcher, who's been the Redskins best D-lineman and possibly their best defensive player this year (either him, or Keenan Robinson). I think Gruden's a bit lost right now.

There were 4 days of some of the veteran players #####ing about a new media policy announced by Tony Wyllie, Snyder's PR guy and a real ****. There were outright arguments between Wyllie and a player who refused to turn down music. Players tried to disrupt media interviews by being extremely noisy. Gruden's done nothing about this.

The Redskins defense clearly lost the game against Minnesota. If Bridgewater had been more accurate on deep balls the Vikings would have had 43 or 50 points, their receivers were so wide open. Gruden was angry about the defense after the game, but tucked his tail between his legs the next day and said it wasn't Haslett's (the DC) fault, it was player execution.

It seems like Gruden doesn't have control of his coaching staff or his locker room, and is reacting by upping his criticism of players. It's a #### situation right now, and he's behaving oddly.

I don't understand how Gruden goes from saying Griffin is the starter when healthy to now saying he'll be evaluated each week after a game which saw Griffin play pretty well for the most part (given a two-month layoff). He certainly did enough on offense to lead Washington to the win. That loss wasn't on him or the offense in my opinion. But I don't understand what Gruden is doing here.
I'm 46 and a lifelong fan of the Skins & in general always supportive of the orginization. With that said, when I saw Gruden's comments about RGIII I was pissed off. WTF is wrong with that moron? Seriously, does he have a freakin clue. If he keeps this crap up I'll be calling for his head long before the season's over. #######

fatness said:
The Redskins defense clearly lost the game against Minnesota.
No doubt about that. I'm not sure you could hope for more than Griffin showed given how he hadn't played in nearly two months. I was pretty impressed to be honest. So that's another reason why Gruden's comments seemed so odd. I thought for sure he'd talk Griffin up and emphasize all the good things he did in his first game back. It was a stronger performance than we saw in Week 1 last season in my opinion.

I just hope he doesn't fall into the I need to change my game to protect myself from injury crap. Certainly the injury risk is higher but it's what made him the talent he was coming into the league. If you draft that type of QB I believe you allow him to play his game and assume the risk.

Very similar to elite KR guys. Teams like to pull guys off of KR because the player is too valuable on offense. I say, those are easy touches to make some big plays. Let them touch the ball. I remember when Chicago decided to try to pull Hester off KR duties to focus on WR. What??? You have probably the greatest KR of all time and you want to pull him from that to be a mediocre WR for you?

I think RGIII can be a near top tier QB if they allow him to play his game.

I think RGIII can be a near top tier QB if they allow him to play his game.
Playing his game leads to him taking a ton of big hits. In his amazing rookie year, he was getting lit up practically every week. Even he realizes he can't play that game any longer.

I think he has a cannon arm and can make some impressive throws with little effort. So I think he could be a helluva pocket passer if he decided to stay with that. The problem is finding a HC/OC willing to let him "evolve" in to that. Get him an O-line that can keep him upright. He's so small that he really can't afford to take big hits when he tries to scramble. And on some of his injuries he's shown he's not the most graceful athlete. Needs to learn how to slide and run out of bounds.

He has the ability to become an elite pocket passer. Just gotta see if he's given the time.

I see a whole lotta Vick with him. Obviously mobile but like Vick he's prone to taking bigger hits than necessary and like Vick he doesn't know how to slide or protect himself all that well. And like Vick he has a canon for an arm so when he is given time and can set and throw downfield he can make a lot of big plays. Vick never really evolved beyond that so while his pure talent led to some good seasons it never resulted in him being a consistently elite NFL quarterback. It'll be interesting to see where Griffin goes but I think he's absolutely the type of talent you want to take your time with to make sure you do everything possible to see if he can be that type of player.

ETA - that's why the whole Cousins/RGIII thing always baffled me. At no point at any time did Cousins ever look like he had star type ability. There were times he looked like he could be a good NFL starter but I never saw "star" there. Griffin's talent level absolutely screams out "star" in my opinion. Now whether it can all come together remains to be seen. Maybe it won't but for me, if I have two guys and one has the look of a star and the other clearly doesn't, I'm focusing all of my efforts on doing everything possible to find out if the former can realize his full potential. Guys like the latter are much easier to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree that he has star potential (big accurate arm, athletic ability) but I don't think there's any way he will ever reach that star level. Injuries and the related mental hurdles will always get in the way for him. Let's be honest, how many QBs have ever dislocated their ankle just throwing a football? I have a feeling those type of freak injuries will follow him throughout his entire career.

I do agree that he has star potential (big accurate arm, athletic ability) but I don't think there's any way he will ever reach that star level. Injuries and the related mental hurdles will always get in the way for him. Let's be honest, how many QBs have ever dislocated their ankle just throwing a football? I have a feeling those type of freak injuries will follow him throughout his entire career.
Agreed. It may never happen but in my opinion when you have a talent like that you do everything in your power - and then some - to find out.

he showed so much promise as a rookie. Of course injuries zapped a lot of his running ability but he hasn't improved as a passer at all, he's actually regressed.

Bob Griffin,yet another in a long line of overhyped,overpriced, flash-in-the-pan QB's..and like the Tim Couch's of the world, he'll be out of the NFL quickly. but they play football in Canada, and there's a KISS team in L.A., so he's got that working for him..he looks like a WR not a QB.he's too skinny to last 16 games.

on the flip side, looks like the Redskins have found themselves a better Gio Bernard in Roy Helu..he looks fantastic!

Gruden is in over his head, you can't make anything work with Dan Snyder..not the Ole Ball Coach,

not Gibbs, not Norv, Gruden,etc.

Redskins have become the East Coast's/NFC's version of the Oakland Raiders. no way you take either HC job..

Users who are viewing this thread