What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Is he worth a speculative add to see where he lands?
If available in dynasty, yes. For redraft, would have to be some very large benches...

Seems like he would fit well in San Francisco with Breida always gimpy and mostert out. Runs and receives, clear upgrade over Morris,  what's not to like.
Agreed. This seems like his only real path to relevancy. He's a much better receiver than Breida. 

There are other teams where I think he'd be an upgrade, but I don't think he'd get the volume to be fantasy relevant in those places. 

Houston would intrigue me as Blue and Miller are basically the same guy just getting what’s blocked and doing nothing in the passing game. 

Tampa would be fascinating, but Dirk Koetter doesn’t seem like a good fit. 

Eagles make some sense. 49ers make some sense. 

Everyone says the Pats anytime an early round ‘bust’ comes available, but their need might be real depending on the health of Michel. Not holding my breath on that one. 

I imagine if anyone is interested, it’s one of the first four I mentioned. 

If available in dynasty, yes. For redraft, would have to be some very large benches...

Agreed. This seems like his only real path to relevancy. He's a much better receiver than Breida. 

There are other teams where I think he'd be an upgrade, but I don't think he'd get the volume to be fantasy relevant in those places. 
Nearly positive I saw that Martin Mahew is working in the SF FO, which may lend more credence to 49ers giving him a shot after losing Mostert and seeing Morris basically function as a slug.

SF was talking about bringing up a back from their practice squad. They may choose to give Abdullah a chance before going that route. 

Everyone says the Pats anytime an early round ‘bust’ comes available, but their need might be real depending on the health of Michel. Not holding my breath on that one. 
Was gonna add NE to my post above but just couldn't for that very reason. 

Houston would intrigue me as Blue and Miller are basically the same guy just getting what’s blocked and doing nothing in the passing game. 

Tampa would be fascinating, but Dirk Koetter doesn’t seem like a good fit. 

Eagles make some sense. 49ers make some sense. 

I imagine if anyone is interested, it’s one of the first four I mentioned. 
These are all good mentions, but Houston's bad OL would be problematic and you know Bill O'Brien would stick with some sort of awful RBBC. Tampa seems to take themselves out of games and hasn't had much luck running the ball - maybe Abdullah could help, but maybe it's the system or blocking. You're right Eagles would make some sense, but I'd still fear RBBC even though I believe Abdullah is better than everyone on that roster.

Between Michel and White I don't see a need for the Pats, but I could totally see Abdullah becoming the next Dion should the opportunity arise. Their skill sets are quite similar (great hands, underrated between the tackles). But they don't have a need and Abdullah's biggest flaw has been fumbles and those don't go over well in New England. 

Is New Orleans content behind Kamara and Ingram?  Seems like might be a nice spot with an eye towards next season when Ingram is presumably gone. 

New England is completely an injury dependent acquisition for Ameer.

But if Michel goes down (again) I bet they have Abdullah on speed dial.

Is he worth a speculative add to see where he lands?
In dynasty, yes. In redraft, it's a pretty huge longshot.

I think AA is good enough to help a lot of NFL teams. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone know how long waiver claims take in the NFL? Isn't it only a day or two? Seems like we should find out soon, one way or another.

This could shed a little bit of light on things:

The Eagles are 18th in the current waiver order with their 4-4 record, making it unlikely to get Abdullah on waivers (per ESPN's Adam Schefter on 97.5 The Fanatic).

"I’d be surprised if Abdullah fell to the Eagles waiver spot, I think there’s teams ahead of them that will have interest," Schefter said.

The Eagles will know if they make a successful waiver claim for Abdullah (if they make on) at 4 p.m. Wednesday when the league's transactions are filed.

So Schefter believes he will get picked up. I agree. It sounds like we could know within the next 15-30 minutes.

I'd like to see him on the Ravens, Eagles, 49ers, Texans, Colts, Packers, or Raiders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless Cook is hurt, which he sure didn’t look like it, this pretty much renders Abdullah useless, right?

Man, this is kind of crazy... so when news broke that Abdullah was released I started to do a quick google search to see if there was any talk of who would pick him up. As I typed in Ameer Abdullah the Google suggestion was seriously "Ameer Abdullah Vikings"... on Tuesday... WTF. Of course when I did search for his name, nothing came up about the Vikings on Tuesday. 

Could be a nice option for the Vikes as a kick returner.   Man, I remember loving his tape coming out of college.   I made sure to get him in drafts upon entering the league and then he broke a long run on one of his first carries by making a cut and blazing down the left sideline.   I felt pretty optimistic that he would be a stud after his impressive preseason his rookie year.   It took a few years to quit convincing myself that it was going to happen for him. 

Chaka said:
Would have been better for us all if he ended.up with the Argonauts.
Isn't he a free agent after this year?

Looks like he is so who cares? Wasn't doing anything this year anyways. He's a hold in dynasty to see where he goes on the offseason.

Isn't he a free agent after this year?

Looks like he is so who cares? Wasn't doing anything this year anyways. He's a hold in dynasty to see where he goes on the offseason.
That he made it to the Vikings should tell you a lot about his value in next years free agency. There were at least 20 teams that passed on him.

Unless Cook is hurt, which he sure didn’t look like it, this pretty much renders Abdullah useless, right?
He is slightly more useful than Roc Thomas who the Vikings cut to make room for Abdullah.

Ameer Abdullahs best game as a pro happened against the Vikings. So I can see why they would be interested in him.

Better to get claimed by Minnesota than to get claimed by nobody.

I don't see a path to relevance this season, but I cut bait on Spencer Ware and Dion Lewis too early in the past when teams bailed on them. They both resurfaced in new spots and became useful FF players. I feel like Abdullah is good enough to do the same, though I would've strongly preferred a more open landing spot like SF/Oak/Hou. I don't see him having much value on the Vikings as long as Cook is healthy. He'll probably need another team change to have a real chance. 

Vikings re-signed RB Ameer Abdullah.

Claimed off waivers from the Lions mid-season, Abdullah played sparingly on offense but notably averaged 25.8 return yards as Minnesota's special teams-ace from Week 11 on. He's expected to mix-in sparingly to compensate for the departure of Latavius Murray in free agency. As it stands, Dalvin Cook remains a premium buy in Best Ball and dynasty leagues as the team only has Mike Boone, Roc Thomas, and Abdullah available behind him.

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Minnesota Vikings on Twitter

Mar 18, 2019, 2:01 PM

Dang it.  Was holding him in a few leagues hoping for a miracle signing, but the Vikings that is not.  Back to the waiver pool he goes, unless they don’t draft a backup RB.

I really liked Abdullah during the early days, he still has low miles. I like the signing for Minnesota,. I think AA will be the #1 back up to Cooks. I'm grabbing with both hands as an end of the roster stash.

First action / posting on Ameer since August. Any takers on fantasy production from him week 17?

MIN would like to go out with a W and someone has to get the carries and targets. Someone has to score.

First action / posting on Ameer since August. Any takers on fantasy production from him week 17?

MIN would like to go out with a W and someone has to get the carries and targets. Someone has to score.
I have listened to both Bears and Vikings podcasts talking about the game this week.

Everyone thinks it doesn't matter so there is very little as far as diving down on players or game plans and so on. Both teams are already shifting towards off season talk.

Boone was pretty ineffective and as it turns out the Vikings only played him on 18 snaps last week. Most of that was in the first half of the game.

Ameer Abdullah ended up playing 32 offensive snaps (59%) and was the favored RB in the passing game, He had 6 receptions on 7 targets in the game getting dump off passes while the Vikings were trying to catch up. To illustrate how bad Kirk Cousins was. Ameers 31 yards receiving last week was 25% of his total yards passing. All of that was in the 2nd half of the game.

For this week it looks like the Vikings will be starting Sean Mannion. No idea if he can move the ball either or what his preferences might be, but based on how last game played out I think Ameer is a better start than Boone is.

Since the game doesn't matter why not give Ameer a chance to show what he can do? Main issue with him has been the fumbles. But for this game why not give it to him a lot and see how does?

I am expecting most of the Vikings starters to not play or only play as needed.

I have listened to both Bears and Vikings podcasts talking about the game this week.

Everyone thinks it doesn't matter so there is very little as far as diving down on players or game plans and so on. Both teams are already shifting towards off season talk.

Boone was pretty ineffective and as it turns out the Vikings only played him on 18 snaps last week. Most of that was in the first half of the game.

Ameer Abdullah ended up playing 32 offensive snaps (59%) and was the favored RB in the passing game, He had 6 receptions on 7 targets in the game getting dump off passes while the Vikings were trying to catch up. To illustrate how bad Kirk Cousins was. Ameers 31 yards receiving last week was 25% of his total yards passing. All of that was in the 2nd half of the game.

For this week it looks like the Vikings will be starting Sean Mannion. No idea if he can move the ball either or what his preferences might be, but based on how last game played out I think Ameer is a better start than Boone is.

Since the game doesn't matter why not give Ameer a chance to show what he can do? Main issue with him has been the fumbles. But for this game why not give it to him a lot and see how does?

I am expecting most of the Vikings starters to not play or only play as needed.
Good analysis!

Bloom has Ameer ranked the highest this week at RB #20 in our league scoring format. He would fit as my top option at Flex this week over the likes of L Murray, M Lynch, DK Metcalf, J Watson, and Hollister. The question for me is could I do it? As a Detroit Lion homer I remember the fumbles and questionable Lions draft for Ameer. Vikings will be giving someone the ball. Bloom as Ameer at RB #20, that's low end RB #2 for the week. I just know I'm gonna have a hard time pulling the trigger on him. I'll prolly listen some this morning. At 12-4 we win with a win or the team at 11-5 loses. 

Vikings released Ameer Abdullah.

Abullah may ultimately end up re-signing with the Vikings once the team sends Kene Nwangwu to IR, following final cuts. His release signals that Alexander Mattison, who has been dealing with an unspecified injury, is likely good to go for the season. If Abdullah isn't brought back it would also enhance Mattison's value, were Dalvin Cook to miss any time.

Its possible that Ameer is back with the team. I kind of expect that.

However AJ Rose has looked good in preseason games and Smith-Marsette may have done well enough on kick returns that the Vikings don't need him for that.

Ameer has looked as good as he was last year in preseason games, so if he isn't back with the Vikings I dont think its because he didnt perform well.

LOL...had to swing for the fences.

Ended up losing but it wasnt the Butchers fault. There was nothing I could do.

Ameer Abdullah didn't register a touch in the Raiders' Week 1 loss to the Chargers.

The alleged favorite for the "James White role" under new coach Josh McDaniels, Abdullah failed to catch his lone target while Brandon Bolden saw three targets, turning them into 21 yards and a touchdown before leaving with a hamstring injury. Josh Jacobs also caught a 16-yard pass. Abdullah looks like he can be left on waivers in most formats.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread