What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Forte - to be more relevant again (2 Viewers)

I don't see Forte hitting double digit TD's... he has been poor at the goal line his whole career.
The Bears O-Line will be a lot better this season. He's got a good chance at 10+ TDs
I don't think so. Why would the bears not continue to use Michael Bush inside the 3? He's a great short distance runner, one of the best in the league, and maybe most importantly it takes wear and tear off Forte who is much better in space and as a receiver.

I don't see Forte hitting double digit TD's... he has been poor at the goal line his whole career.
The Bears O-Line will be a lot better this season. He's got a good chance at 10+ TDs
I don't think so. Why would the bears not continue to use Michael Bush inside the 3? He's a great short distance runner, one of the best in the league, and maybe most importantly it takes wear and tear off Forte who is much better in space and as a receiver.
I'm not sure that's the right question to ask, although it's a reasonable one.

You might be better served to ask, "What should we expect the Bears to do?"

Marc Trestman simply hasn't ever really run an offense where the goalline looks went consistently to a perfectly good goalline hammer of the sort Michael Bush represents. Ernest Byner was the primary GL back...not Kevin Mack. Derrick Loville and Terry Kirby were the primary GL backs...not Tommy Vardell or William Floyd.

The closest one can come is in pointing to his tenure with Oakland, when the oft-injured Charlie Garner forced a RBBC approach more than any coach or FF player would want, but even so, a look at the 2001 season (the year before Trestman took over as OC) and the 2002 season, with essentially the same backfield personnel is telling. 2001, Garner had 1 rushing TD, despite having 2.5x as many carries as any other back on the roster, while Crockett and Wheatley combined for 11 TDs. When Trestman took over, Wheatley stepped aside while Garner and Crockett shared the duties much like Byner and Mack. Crockett saw a few more plunges, but Garner scored 5 of his TD's from inside the ten, and over half from inside the red zone...some rushing, some receiving.

Trestman simply seems to like to employ a more versatile offense with a more versatile back, even in the red zone, rather than putting all his eggs into the FB dive basket. If the Bears regularly get to the 1 or 2 yard line, I expect the bulk of those carries to go to Bush. But for the most part, history tells me those other looks are going to be Forte's to lose, unless he does something to diminish Trestman's confidence in him.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Charlie Garner can rack up 1900 yards from scrimmage and 11 total TDs (7 rushing) under Trestman in Oakland when he was 30, I'd wager a bet that Forte can equal those numbers this year.

And that's an RB1.

As far as projecting career highs, if someone said "Hey Charlie Garner will set career highs in yards from scrimmage and total TDs when he's 30" they'd get laughed out of the room too.

Until it turns out they were right.

Projecting career highs is not a smart way to rank players.
Nor is averaging career stats.

The only smart way to rank players is to look at their skills, their situation, and their system, and evaluate as intelligently as possible.

It wasn't smart to project Priest Holmes for a sudden explosion in production in 2001, after years of mediocrity, unless you realized that he was suddenly in line to be the lead dog in an Al Saunders offense, behind a terrific offensive line. And if you realized that and didn't project him into the top ten, you were a fool.

If you see a back with crazy receiving skills and reliable but underwhelming pure rushing production who is suddenly in line to be the focus of a Marc Trestman offense with lots of new and improved blockers, you'd be silly not to project him for career highs in receptions and TD's. (See also, Trent Richardson, 2013.)

How is not looking at career stats from a 5+ year guy not an incredibly smart thing to do. If nothing else it gives you a baseline to start with

How is not looking at career stats from a 5+ year guy not an incredibly smart thing to do. If nothing else it gives you a baseline to start with
Noone is suggesting you don't... so start there and read the post above you.. specifically:

If you see a back with crazy receiving skills and reliable but underwhelming pure rushing production who is suddenly in line to be the focus of a Marc Trestman offense with lots of new and improved blockers, you'd be silly not to project him for career highs in receptions and TD's. (See also, Trent Richardson, 2013.)

Projecting career highs for a player across the board is Insanity. Especially for a first year coach.
By this rationale, no one should predict "breakout" WRs or significant stats for RBs taking over for departing vets.

Do you think it's insanity for someone to say Trent Richardson will set career highs this year across the board?

He has a new OC (Norv) and a new HC (Chud).

You're making a broad generalization here but you're ignoring history, while pretending to care a whole lot about history.

History says that Trestman offenses do very well, and the RBs in his system put up great receiving yardage. That held true for Derek Loville, Charlie Garner, and there's no reason to think that history won't repeat itself with Forte this year, especially since he's sort of known for being a gifted receiver out of the backfield.

To you I suppose that's insanity, but to me I would consider it simply an evaluation of a situation and specific attributes of coaches and players.

If Charlie Garner can rack up 1900 yards from scrimmage and 11 total TDs (7 rushing) under Trestman in Oakland when he was 30, I'd wager a bet that Forte can equal those numbers this year.

And that's an RB1.

As far as projecting career highs, if someone said "Hey Charlie Garner will set career highs in yards from scrimmage and total TDs when he's 30" they'd get laughed out of the room too.

You can't just use Garner like that. Gannon was playing at a much, much higher level than we've ever seen Cutler play at. And they had 3 really good wrs in Rice, Brown and Porter. That Raider offense was incredible that year.

And that's an RB1.

You can't just use Garner like that. Gannon was playing at a much, much higher level than we've ever seen Cutler play at. And they had 3 really good wrs in Rice, Brown and Porter. That Raider offense was incredible that year.
One of these Jerry's was really good. The other one, well thats probably the first time he's been called really good.

And that's an RB1.

One of these Jerry's was really good. The other one, well thats probably the first time he's been called really good.
He was the perfect 3 on that team. He may have had 10 tds

And that's an RB1.

Gannon was playing at a much, much higher level than we've ever seen Gannon play at, too. In fact both Gannon and Garner had career years in 2002. I suggest it is not a coincidence that this happened in the one full and healthy year both played with Trestman, and that this fact ought to be given some consideration.

And that's an RB1.

Gannon was playing at a much, much higher level than we've ever seen Gannon play at, too. In fact both Gannon and Garner had career years in 2002. I suggest it is not a coincidence that this happened in the one full and healthy year both played with Trestman, and that this fact ought to be given some consideration.
I think the Gannon thing had alot to do with Gruden as well.

Double digit rushing TDs is possible but definitely not something you should take into account when evaluating Forte this year. We have enough data points by now (unlike with someone like TRich) to know Forte doesn't exactly have a nose for the GL. In fact, he's been quite horrible, converting something like 1 out of every 10 GL attempts. O-line and coaching issues aside, he never passed the eyeball test for me at the GL either. If you're buying it's because of his PPR prospects as Forte could lead the league in receptions (from the RB position) if Trestman really plans to exploit Forte's strengths this year. If I'm predicting an up year, I'm predicting 10+ total TDs, not 10+ rushing TDs.

A run at the 3 really isn't a goal line carry anyway (a goal line carry is the same as a short yardage carry, except that it is at the goal line instead of 3rd and 1 or 2, so only a run from the 1 or 2 is really a goal line carry), so jumping to the conclusion that Forte is suddenly gonna be the Bears goal line guy is quite a leap.

A run at the 3 really isn't a goal line carry anyway (a goal line carry is the same as a short yardage carry, except that it is at the goal line instead of 3rd and 1 or 2, so only a run from the 1 or 2 is really a goal line carry), so jumping to the conclusion that Forte is suddenly gonna be the Bears goal line guy is quite a leap.
maybe but it is better than if he had been pulled :P

lol

wtf?

Very true. But I will still be surprised if Forte is their main ball carrier when they get to the 1 or 2 or in other short yardage situations, especially when they have a guy like Bush who has been pretty effective for them in those situations.

Very true. But I will still be surprised if Forte is their main ball carrier when they get to the 1 or 2 or in other short yardage situations, especially when they have a guy like Bush who has been pretty effective for them in those situations.
For them who? The them who call the plays are the same them who looked at a team in Oakland where their little speedy back had 1 rushing TD the year before, and the big bruisers had 11, and made the little speedy guy the first option near the GL. Bush hasn't had any of that success yet for this group of "them," but he does fit the profile of guys Trestman has told to take a seat in the past because of his limited skillset.

Let me get this straight-

Don't bring up Charlie Garner's 1900+ and 11 TD year under Trestman, because of Rich Gannon.

The same Rich Gannon who averaged 239 passing YPG the year before Trestman, and 293 YPG when Trestman took over as OC.

?

I rarely post on this forum, but when I do, it's because something is glaringly obvious and others want to deny the obvious. If they hadn't parsed out most of the post history when searching, you could find something besides my predictions of T.O. having a better year than Antonio Bryant in 2010 in Cincinnati when people were arguing T.O. was done. This was my prediction- 72/1094/9.

This was the outcome- 72/983/9

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=540790

Take my commentary on Forte for what it's worth. And I don't intend to come across as cocky here, but it's worth more than someone's commentary like this-

Projecting career highs for a player across the board is Insanity. Especially for a first year coach.
Because the person who says crap like this doesn't draft Drew Brees in 2006 when that first year coach Sean Payton comes over, and he throws for 4400 yards and 276 passing YPG (both career highs).

The person who says crap like that doesn't draft Jamaal Charles in 2009 when that first year coach Todd Haley comes over, and he rushes for 1120 and 7 TDs (both career highs).

He probably wouldn't have drafted Charlie Garner under Trestman as OC either, and probably didn't draft Matt Forte this year.

Charlie Garner never topped 600 yards rushing his first 5 years in the league. In Forte's first 5 years in the league he's never had less than 929.

A second year player is a little different from a six year vet no?
This will be Forte's 6th year. In Garner's 6th year he put up 1764 total yards.

Too bad Forte doesn't have Rich Gannon. :tebow:

Projecting career highs is not a smart way to rank players.
That's sort of his thing. Pantherclub will poo-poo most any hyped player not named Cam Newton.

This is him last year on Matt Ryan:

pantherclub said:
'Stinkin Ref said:
'pantherclub said:
'Stinkin Ref said:
'lbouchard said:
Taking Ryan 4th round negates the whole purpose of waiting on QB
uhh...noif he gets you 1st or 2nd round QB numbers....getting him in the 4th is a steal....

the word "waiting" doesn't really mean ####.....value is the only thing you care about.....

if Ryan goes for 4800/40 and you get him in the 4th.....thats pretty solid....

this is what I don't get...people say "I'm going to wait on a QB"...well...seriously WTF does that really mean...?

you don't "wait" just to "wait"....

most of the time it means they are going to "wait until the 6th round" or some crap....whatever

it's all about value....and if you think you can get 1st or 2nd round QB value in the 4th, you have to take a look at that....those are players outperforming their draft positions which is exactly what you want...."waiting for Rivers in the 6th" means nothing if he performs at 6th round QB value....

"wait" all you want...I'll take value and kick your ###.....
Taking him in the 4rth is not "value"There are a whole lot of ifs in your post above
man.... now I feel like I have to explain Projections 101 or some ####....it's obviously depends on what you project for him compared to other QB's...getting 1st or 2nd round QB PRODUCTION in the 4th is value....if you don't think he is going to put up numbers like the top QB's then it's not value..."if's" are a huge part of this hobby....if you think he is going to put up Rodgers/Brees/Brady type numbers and he does....getting him 2+ rounds after those guys is value....
So once again you are bettting, gambling if you will, that Matt Ryan will have his far and away best year yet. That my friend is not a sound strategy in my opinion for fantasy football.
pantherclub said:
'karmarooster said:
I don't get why this is such rocket science. Over the last two seasons, Ryan's 2010 and 2011 seasons rank #12 and #13 in pass attempts (568 and 565). The Falcons are already a passing team. Ryan's YPA increased from 6.5 to 7.4... maybe something to do with Julio Jones? If Julio is beast this year, and the defense has to pick its poison between him and Roddy White in single coverage, Ryan's YPA must be at least 7.5. There are only 11 QBs in the last two seasons who have attempted more passes than Ryan. Among them, Schaub threw for 4,350; Rivers for 4,600; Eli for 4,900. I'll avoid the Brady/Brees/Stafford/Manning numbers because they are elite and Ryan is not elite. Yet in Julio's rookie year, Ryan has already thrown for 4,100 yards. The Falcons will throw the ball more this year, conservatively 5% more. That's 596 pass attempts. Give him his 62% completion percentage (because as mentioned above, he's a decent quarterback, but not great). 596 attempts x 7.5 YPA = 4,470 yards. He's also put up 340 yards in about 3 quarters of pre-season running the shotgun no huddle offense. Julio and Roddy have put up numbers with him last season, and so far in the preseason. He's done it, he's doing it now, and he's going to do more. I'd say you have to look pretty hard to find reasons not to think that Ryan is at least going to be about QB6, with QB3-4 upside.
This is a great post and one of the main reasons this board is the best for fantasy. Having said that for me making a strategy about the draft I tend to not draft people assuming they are going to have career years to justify where I pick them in the draft. Thats a good way to tank your season. Sure the high risk/high reward style works in fantasy but it also can implode your team from a talent perspective. IMO the best way to build a team is to accumulate as much proven talent as you can and hope the ball bounces your way a few times during the year. Drafting people expecting career years (which is what you are assuming above) is just not a method that I have found consistent to winning.
pantherclub said:
'jaylasoul14 said:
I completely agree, my friends and i are 17 year ff experts, 1st place is almost 40k, and the whispers around my league is Ryan is going late 2nd/ early 3rd now :(
So to justify that then you are banking on a career type year. While it may happen it still is not a good fantasy strategy to use. If he would go in the 2nd then I would like to see how the next few rounds move. Would people make a run on QB's pushing players further down? Probably.
I understand the principle, but if you never expect a player to produce his best year, then you then miss out on every career year. We get that there's risk involved in expecting a player to have his most yards, most TDs, or best average. But every single player has a best year at least once.

Last year's top 10 non-QBs in a particular scoring format:

1. Calvin Johnson - most yards ever for a WR, most receptions of his career
  2. Brandon Marshall - most receptions, most yards, most TDs in his career
  3. AP - hands down best year of his career.... so far??
  4. Dez Bryant - career highs so far as a 3rd year breakout WR
  5. AJ Green - career highs
  6. Andre Johnson - even this guy had a career high in yards
  7. Wes Welker - finally someone without a career high in receptions, yards, or TDs
For RBs, continuing after AP:

1. Martin - does not compute
  2. Foster - career high in rushes, but nothing else
  3. Lynch - Career high rushing attempts, rushing yards, total yards, and YPA
  4. Spiller - career highs across the boards
etc. etc.

If you want any shot at landing top 5-10 talent, you have to try to anticipate major breakthroughs, otherwise you'll only get players the year after they blow up.

Of course Forte isn't really thought of as 5 talent, but he was up there as a rook, best RB in PPR scoring IIRC. With a good year he can easily be top 5-10 again even without 10+ TDs.

Other than the risk-averse principle of "avoid projecting career numbers," what reasons are there to think Forte won't be as good as some people hype? Or, who are one or two other RBs at similar ADP who you think are much better alternatives?

it's really impossible to say much more than forte is a very solid RB and with a new offensive scheme that gives him more upside than he had before. he, like just about every other RB, has a few issues that prevent him from being a home-run pick. the best thing going about forte is that he catches a lot of passes and is quite consistent -- i would look to pair forte with some more speculative RB2's or WR's that have a chance to boom, not draft him expecting there to be a realistic chance he's a top 3-5 player.

Forte thriving for Bears in early going

By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

OAKLAND, Calif. -- With every attempt, Matt Forte’s confidence grows in his club’s zone-blocking schemes, which allow the running back to showcase some of his best attributes.

Over his past four quarters, Forte has averaged 10.7 yards per attempt, and he finished with 76 yards on six attempts Friday in the Chicago Bears' 34-26 win against the Oakland Raiders.

“What makes the zone blocking good is those linemen get push off the ball,” Forte said. “When they can do that, I can be patient and just sit back and read the blocking. So [while] there’s a place where the play is designed to go, you can just use your vision. If I want to, I can cut it all the way back. Or I can just pick a hole. That’s what makes it so nice.”

Success with the rushing attack also tends to open up the passing attack. Forte rushed for 15 yards on three attempts during Chicago’s first offensive series Friday. On the first play of the second series, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler popped up and hit Forte on a short pass to the right side, and the running back romped 32 yards for a touchdown.

“What’s most impressive is the blocks he got on the perimeter on that touchdown by [receiver] Alshon [Jeffery] and [tight end] Martellus [bennett],” Bears coach Marc Trestman said. “Matt’s an all-purpose player. He’s a three-down player. He can run. He’s a very good pass-receiver, and it just helps spread the field even more with the players that we have.”

Cutler called Forte “scary out there” on the field.

“I think he’s getting more and more comfortable with the running lanes, the blocking schemes we’re putting him in,” Cutler said.

Forte has rushed for 150 yards on 14 attempts over the club’s past two exhibition outings.

“We’ve got to expect to come out and play like that every game, and not just because we had a couple big plays and a couple nice runs we get all out of control like, ‘We’ve arrived as an offense,’” Forte said. “We’ve still got a lot of work to do. We’re looking forward to getting better every week.”

Rotoworld:

Matt Forte rushed 19 times for 50 yards and a touchdown and caught four passes for 41 yards in the Bears' Week 1 win over Cincy.
Forte found little room to run against the Bengals' insanely talented front seven, but remained effective in the pass game and scored a touchdown from one-yard out on a shotgun handoff. He was NOT vultured by Michael Bush, which is promising for Forte's going-forward outlook. Expect 20-24 touches in Week 2 against the Vikings. Forte is a top-15 fantasy running back weekly.

I was kind of hoping he'd crap the bed today, so I could make a move for him in the one league I didn't get him in. Didn't expect much against Cinci. But oh well, that train has left the building. Still feeling good about calling him top 5.

Feeling even better about Bush.

We'll have to wait and see on TRich. :unsure:

Rotoworld:

Coach Marc Trestman told reporters Monday that Michael Bush will be the Bears' goal-line back going forward.
Matt Forte has scored each of his two early-season touchdowns on runs from or inside the five-yard line, but when the Bears are at the opposing one, Bush is going to get the call in most situations. "We’ve kind of isolated and declared Michael our goal-line running back," said Trestman. Fantasy owners can't depend on random week-to-week goal-line scores, leaving Bush as a mere handcuff. It could cost Forte TD chances over the course of the year, but Forte is playing too well for it to matter. He's the No. 5 fantasy back through three games.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Coach Marc Trestman told reporters Monday that Michael Bush will be the Bears' goal-line back going forward.
Matt Forte has scored each of his two early-season touchdowns on runs from or inside the five-yard line, but when the Bears are at the opposing one, Bush is going to get the call in most situations. "We’ve kind of isolated and declared Michael our goal-line running back," said Trestman. Fantasy owners can't depend on random week-to-week goal-line scores, leaving Bush as a mere handcuff. It could cost Forte TD chances over the course of the year, but Forte is playing too well for it to matter. He's the No. 5 fantasy back through three games.

Definitely a bummer and a head scratcher at the same time. Bush looked like he was running in mud out there last night and I feel like Forte has looked darn good at the GL this year (much better then in years past). Oh well.

Rotoworld:

Definitely a bummer and a head scratcher at the same time. Bush looked like he was running in mud out there last night and I feel like Forte has looked darn good at the GL this year (much better then in years past). Oh well.
I thought the exact same thing. From a non-fantasy perspective this makes little to no sense to my eyeballs.

Easy way to lose a team is to have veterans sitting around with nothing to do. Not saying I agree, I can just see the headache trying to manage 53 egos.

It took Bush 3 cracks to get that one yard. I saw a trainwreck out there and Trestman saw his designated GL back? Ok now. Stupid.

Rotoworld:

I'm sure I'm just overacting, but I hate how Trestman is basically saying "Hey opposing defensive coordinators out there, if we're at the goalline and you see Michael Bush in the backfield, go ahead and stack the line."

If anyone out there has the number of carries within the 5 between Forte and Bush, I would love to see them. In the meantime, my memory seems to recall Forte getting those touches this year rather than Bush, so for now it's a bit hard to really buy this.

Rotoworld:

I'm sure I'm just overacting, but I hate how Trestman is basically saying "Hey opposing defensive coordinators out there, if we're at the goalline and you see Michael Bush in the backfield, go ahead and stack the line."

If anyone out there has the number of carries within the 5 between Forte and Bush, I would love to see them. In the meantime, my memory seems to recall Forte getting those touches this year rather than Bush, so for now it's a bit hard to really buy this.
Prior to last game, Forte had 3 runs and 1 reception from inside the five. Bush had no touches from that close.

Only guy I'm happy with in my teams this year.

Cutler injury might have helped his stats for today though.

Users who are viewing this thread