What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Forte - to be more relevant again (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Matt Forte rushed for 83 yards on 18 carries and caught five passes for 42 yards and one touchdown in Chicago's Week 11, 23-20 overtime win over Baltimore.
The game was delayed for nearly two hours with 4:51 left in the first quarter due to storms and lightning in the area. It left Soldier Field as a sloppy mud track thereafter. Outside runs yielded few yards due to the slow track, but both teams found room between the tackles on the ground. Forte was targeted six times in the passing game. On his 14-yard touchdown catch-and-run in the fourth quarter, Forte shed five defenders on his way to the end zone. Forte has a tasty matchup with the Rams in Week 12, though St. Louis has been playing better on defense in recent weeks. Forte is still locked in as a high-end RB1.

Rotoworld:

Matt Forte "slightly" hyperextended his right knee in Sunday's loss, and the Bears plan to "see where he is at" on Wednesday.

Forte got rolled up in scary fashion, but returned to the game after getting stretched out on the sideline. He missed only a few plays, and looked no worse for the wear upon returning. Our best guess is that the Bears will ration Forte's practice reps, but that he's in no danger of missing Sunday's game against the Vikings.

Source: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

I don't see Forte hitting double digit TD's... he has been poor at the goal line his whole career.
The Bears O-Line will be a lot better this season. He's got a good chance at 10+ TDs
Projecting career highs is not a smart way to rank players.
Where's this guy at now? 165 rushing yards and 29 receiving yards to go until he sets career highs in both categories, 3 games to go.

9 total TDs to go with it.

Rotoworld:

Matt Forte rushed 22 times for 110 yards and two touchdowns in Chicago's Week 17 loss to the Packers, adding four catches for 47 yards and an additional touchdown.
The three-touchdown, 157-yard outburst closes the book on what was easily the best season of Forte's career. Each of his 1,339 rushing yards, 594 receiving yards, 1,933 yards from scrimmage and 74 catches were new career highs. His 10 total touchdowns were his most since 2008. Forte is a dream fit for coach Marc Trestman's offense, but it's fair to wonder how he'll hold up after touching the ball 367 times as a 28 year old this season. Forte was beginning to have durability issues in 2011-12. Either way, he'll remain an RB1 for 2014.

I am going to make an argument for Forte here over McCoy, Charles and Peterson:

His closing schedule:

@GB

MIN

TB

@DET

DAL

NO

DET

Right now that looks like a ridiculously good closing schedule.

The Saints defense could very well be Top 5 this year but that's late in the season at home with possibly some added emphasis on the run game and short passing game. Otherwise everything else looks like gravy.

McCoy, Charles and Peterson all have some serious roadblocks in that playoff and 2nd half stretch.

His closing schedule:

@GB

MIN

TB

@DET

DAL

NO

DET

The Saints defense could very well be Top 5 this year but that's late in the season at home with possibly some added emphasis on the run game and short passing game. Otherwise everything else looks like gravy.

McCoy, Charles and Peterson all have some serious roadblocks in that playoff and 2nd half stretch.
I am a believer in SOS and noticed the same thing about Forte's schedule down the stretch. I just don't know if that's enough to put him ahead of Charles in PPR. I don't think it puts him ahead of McCoy. McCoy's schedule isn't bad. I also think McCoy has the best track record and best chance of finishing top 3 of the consensus top backs. I hesitate on Forte because while he's now in an offense that tailors to his strengths, last year was a career year. Bush isn't around, but he only vultured a few TD's last year. I think Forte will again have trouble breaking the 10 TD mark with all of the other weapons they have. Charles was more of a one man show and should continue to be. I do think he's in for a regression with the losses to the OL, tougher schedule, etc....I feel better about Forte's durability, so that may lead to me ultimately taking him over Charles at the #2 spot if McCoy is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
leftcoastguy7 said:
Chicago did not look good against Seattle the other night. Makes me worried about Forte's outlook.

Hopefully that is just the Bears facing a tough defense and they can play better against weaker competition.
Peyton Manning broke the TD record and sound barrier last year and didnt look good against Seattle in the Super Bowl either

I have a really hard time not liking Forte again this year in PPR (enough to debate taking him #1 overall). I mean, he may have put up a career high in rushing yards, yards from scrimmage and a tied his career high TD totals but nothing looks even remotely unsustainable. His YPC and YPR averages indicate that he can most certainly replicate what he did last year assuming he sees the same volume of touches (he will). Another year entrenched in this offense, another year of big PPR #'s. Forte is :moneybag: .

I see Martellus Bennett taking away some targets in the short passing game, and I have a hard time seeing the Bears O-line improving much. It's year been year after year of unfulfilled expectations with new personnel on the line. Might the new system favor him? Sure. But Forte's also a year older and I don't foresee a major improvement over last year's numbers.
sup

His closing schedule:

@GB

MIN

TB

@DET

DAL

NO

DET

I can see Detroit not being a gravy defense for Forte

I see Martellus Bennett taking away some targets in the short passing game, and I have a hard time seeing the Bears O-line improving much. It's year been year after year of unfulfilled expectations with new personnel on the line. Might the new system favor him? Sure. But Forte's also a year older and I don't foresee a major improvement over last year's numbers.
sup
As a counter to that. it's the second year in the new system....The players know their assignments and what they need to do

Also, no more Michael Bush....

MB may take some targets, but he'll also draw attention

Rotoworld:

Matt Forte rushed 17 times for 80 yards and two touchdowns in Chicago's Week 6 win over the Falcons, adding 10 catches for an additional 77 yards.

Forte lived up to his billing as this week's top running back, slicing through a Falcons defense with holes at every level. The 100-yard effort was Forte's third straight, and fourth in six games. He's now up to three total scores. The Dolphins will present a much-stiffer test in Week 7, but Forte remains locked in as a high-end RB1.

Oct 12 - 7:44 PM

Forte is leading the league in receptions with 46. Julio Jones is in second with 44. He's on pace for a 264/1064/5 - 122/1002/3 stat line. Yes, he's on pace to catch 122 balls.

He's on pace to do something very similar to what Charles did last year in PPR (~384 points), but with ~10 less touchdowns.

Rotoworld:

Matt Forte rushed for 49 yards and one touchdown on 12 carries in the Bears' 27-14, Week 7 loss to the Dolphins, adding six catches for 60 yards and one touchdown.

Forte was the only on the team to get the memo that it wasn't Chicago's bye week. Jay Cutler wet the bed, taking three sacks and tossing a horrible interception with none of his receivers close to the ball. The Bears seemed to forget Forte was even on the team in the first half before he picked up 16 yards on the first play of the third quarter and ended that same drive with a 10-yard touchdown grab. He later found the end zone from one yard out, accounting for both of Chicago's touchdowns. Forte has a great matchup with the Patriots in Week 8.

Oct 19 - 4:06 PM

Stock Watch: Forte continues to shineExcerpt:

1. Matt Forte: Forte touched the ball 25 times Sunday (19 carries for 114 yards, six receptions for 54) for 168 all-purpose yards, and scored the Chicago Bears' only non-garbage-time touchdown on a 25-yard catch in the second quarter. To label Forte as one of the lone bright spots in the humiliating 51-23 defeat at New England is an understatement. Forte has been the Bears’ best offensive player in the season's first half, period. The versatile tailback leads the team with 58 receptions, 562 rushing yards and six touchdowns. Forte has already topped 1,000 yards from scrimmage (1,052) and, with 490 receiving yards, is on pace to better the career high of 594 he set last season. He is the key to a second-half comeback, if one is possible. Give Forte to ball 30 times per game over the final eight weeks. Why not?

Rotoworld:

Matt Forte rushed five times for six yards in Chicago's Week 13 loss to the Lions, catching 6-of-9 targets for 52 yards.
The Bears didn't even pretend to run the ball against the Lions' fearsome ground defense, dialing up only eight attempts. Forte caught screens and dump-offs, which operated as the Bears' de facto rushing "attack." With 75 percent of the season now in the books, Forte is on pace for 1,971 yards from scrimmage, 104 catches and 11 total touchdowns.

Nov 27 - 4:25 PM

Going against Forte this week of course-- maybe the cheapest 20 point FF game Ive seen in 3-4 years. wow. what a joke.
Same here. Wasn't that cheap though, I've seen worse. The Bears actually made it a somewhat close game in the fourth quarter.

It was a cheap looking 20 points. Now that the Bears are at best 8-8 do they start giving some more touches to Kadeem Carey and give Forte a rest?

And of course no pro bowl
I'm okay with that. :shrug:

I think even he'd agree he didn't play all that magnificently this year. He just had super high usage and reliably performed pretty well no matter how often they were forced to go to the well.

Great fantasy asset. Pretty good real world RB. Not one of the supreme talents in the league, but he doesn't really need to be in that role. I'm a big fan, but I don't see his being passed over as a shun. YPC sub-four, and a dumpoff machine in the passing game. He gets a compilation record for his trouble, which is a nice consolation prize. The season he beat to win the record was pretty far from a legendary season as well.

Rotoworld:

Appearing on Chicago radio Thursday, Matt Forte confirmed he wants a contract extension from the Bears, but acknowledged he lacks "final say" in negotiations and has no plans to hold out.

Forte "promised to be back with the team soon," even with rookie GM Ryan Pace unlikely to meet his contract wishes. "I told (Pace) I wouldn’t hold any grudges," Forte said. "Everybody says you could hold out and use it as leverage. I’m not that type of dude to do that at this point. If they want to give me a contract extension and have me return as a Chicago Bear and play my entire career here, they can do that. If they don’t, they won’t. It’s as simple as that. I’m not going to hold out."

Source: Chicago Tribune
Apr 30 - 4:44 PM

Mike Clay ‏@MikeClayNFL 4m4 minutes ago

450 touches for DeMarco Murray last year scares you? Matt Forte has 731 over the past two seasons (Murray has 720).
But 176 receptions which is not the same as 176 carries where you're getting hit on most of them. That said, Forte is getting up there and his running efficiency has been declining. Combined with Trestman leaving i'm a bit wary of over-drafting him.

Over the course of his coaching career John Fox has utilized running back by committee approaches to success.Along with offensive coordinator Adam Gase, the past two years in Denver a dual-threat approach led to C.J. Anderson (179 carries) and Ronnie Hillman (106) combining for 1,283 yards in 2014 and Knowshon Moreno (241) and Montee Ball (120) going for 1,597 yards in 2013.

Lolz seemed like a one back system last year.

Over the course of his coaching career John Fox has utilized running back by committee approaches to success.Along with offensive coordinator Adam Gase, the past two years in Denver a dual-threat approach led to C.J. Anderson (179 carries) and Ronnie Hillman (106) combining for 1,283 yards in 2014 and Knowshon Moreno (241) and Montee Ball (120) going for 1,597 yards in 2013.

Lolz seemed like a one back system last year.
don't remember 2013 well enough but last year it seems like there was a lead back on a game by game basis, just that it switched off.

Users who are viewing this thread