What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL1 - Draft Commentary (1 Viewer)

Wish I had more time to discuss the teams, but I just don't. Good draft, everyone. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

The third defense really should have been a 2nd QB. It served well to.possibly hose me but don't see much upside in the strategy.

QB: Andrew Luck, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Luck finished 8th in this system last year as a rookie and I like how the Colts are setting up around him. I think he's a top 10 guy moving forward and I don't know where his upside ends. Fitz isn't anything impressive, but serves the role as an upper-class backup. In a survivor field like this I feel more comfortable with him, where I think he's untouchable in normal draft except as bye week filler. I'd C+ this, largely off Luck.

Grade: C+

RB: Reggie Bush, Steven Johnson, Felix Jones, Michael Turner, Kendall Hunter, Stepfan Taylor

People don't like Bush's game, but for the two years he was in Miami he played pretty well and in PPR formats was a top 15 guy both years. If he ends up back in Miami I would expect similar numbers, but the upside comes from Bush if he ends up in Atlanta or Detroit (the current rumors). S-Jax is in the same situation, solid numbers in STL and now he's voiding the last year of his deal to be FA. If he ends up on a contender with a need at RB, then I feel like he's great value. He still has a year or two left in him to be an impact RB and again PPR helps pad out his bad weeks.

The rest of my RB options are a complete grab bag and I mostly took shots at high-value backups and Michael Turner who has slowed down, but could latch on somewhere and be a decent option. Rest of my group depends on health and their RB1 situations.

Grade: N/A, it'll depend completely on where 4 of the 6 latch onto.

WR: Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Jeremy Maclin, Andre Robertt, Jeremy Kerley, Brandon Stokley, Tiquan Underwood

AJ + Brandon Marshall, #easygame.

In all seriousness, I feel really good about this WR core and I should considering the high picks I spent. I'm happy to get Stokley so late as with Manning at the helm he seems to be capable of putting together a reasonable season and for a 19th round WR, that's what you want.

Grade: A

TE: Finley

I waited too long to nab a 2nd TE and got hosed. I didn't bother with a 2nd when I realized what was left and don't regret that decision, I just wish I had either taken a higher TE or followed Finley up with an immediate backup.

Grade: F

PK: Hauschka, Bironas

2 Kickers with Jobs. Grade: B

DST: NYG, Colts

2 Defeneses. Grade: B

Horrific TE and uncertainty at RB could knock me out very early, but if the RB's find good homes I think this team comes together reasonably well.

The third defense really should have been a 2nd QB. It served well to.possibly hose me but don't see much upside in the strategy.
the QBs left when I took my 3rd defense were Matt Flynn, Blaine Gabbart, Dennis Dixon, and Brandon Weeden. There's a good chance 3 of those guys don't even see a snap this year, and then it comes down to whether I think which of the following will happen more often:Blaine Gabbart outscores Peyton Manningor Oakland's Defense outscores Cleveland or Denver's DefenseThat seems like an easy decision for me. By round 18 in this draft, I'd already conceded that I had pretty much put the fate of my team in Manning's health and production -- if he stinks it up or gets injured, me having or not having Blaine Gabbart doesn't really matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed u wouldn't have gotten many starts out of gabbert but if manning misses a couple games or more he protects u from a goose egg which is probably worth more than an extra point/start here or there out of a third defense.

Agreed u wouldn't have gotten many starts out of gabbert but if manning misses a couple games or more he protects u from a goose egg which is probably worth more than an extra point/start here or there out of a third defense.
Brock Osweiler would have been my pick.

WR - Fitzgerald, Jacoby JonesWR - Nicks, BaldwinWR - Little, Jeffery, JenkinsPK - SGraham, Folk
Only real bye week issues are the WRs and Kickers. But most people will probably have lower scores during week 9 with 6 teams on bye week, 3 or 4 of which are key offenses.

4.03 Russell Wilson QB9 SEA (12)
6.03 Philip Rivers QB17 SD (8)

1.14 Alfred Morris RB10 WAS (5)
8.03 Lamar Miller RB36 MIA (6)
9.14 Fred Jackson RB43 BUF (12)
15.14 Montee Ball RB62 ROOK (?)
20.03 Andre Ellington RB79 ROOK (?)

3.14 Eric Decker WR16 DEN (9)
5.14 James Jones WR34 GB (4)
7.14 Lance Moore WR39 NO (7)
10.03 Michael Floyd WR56 ARI (9)
11.14 Chris Givens WR62 STL (11)
14.03 Reuben Randle WR72 NYG (9)
19.14 Austin Collie WR92 ??? (?)

2.03 Jason Witten TE3 DAL (11)
12.03 Tony Moeaki TE28 KC (10)

17.14 Josh Scobee PK26 JAC (9)
18.03 Dan Carpenter PK28 MIA (6)

13.14 San Diego Chargers D/ST15 (8)
16.03 Carolina Panthers D/ST28 (4)

Not too bad with the bye weeks here. My biggetst concern is my WR's on week 9 with 3 of them on bye, I need the rest to stay healthy or it will be an issue.

20.15 Jeff Pasquino - Ed Dickson - TE35 - BAL
Could have gone in many directions with the final pick. Considered a rookie RB or a 7th WR, but I decided that Ed Dickson was a good value and had even bigger value for me since I had Pitta as my TE1. Ultimately I think that was the best decision for this squad.Overall final roster:

>Full roster:

QB - Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler

RB - Arian Foster/Ben Tate, Daryl Richardson, Bilal Powell, Joseph Randle

WR - Roddy White, Miles Austin, Mike Wallace, Davone Bess, Donnie Avery, Marvin Jones

TE - Dennis Pitta/Ed Dickson, Brent Celek

PK - Mason Crosby, Phil Dawson

D/ST - New England, Philadelphia
I really don't see a ton of holes aside from my usual "meh" RB2 approach - but having the Houston RB situation locked down as my RB1 makes that more solid. Strong QB pair, TE pair/trio, D/ST pairing too (I like Philly to rebound). Kickers are more solid than 1/2 the teams here given all the uncertainty across the league. Top 3 WR are very strong, with upside at WR5 and 6 (Bess is a solid but not flashy WR4). If one of the RB2s steps up to post a few points each week, I like this group.
Roster with byes:

QB - Matt Ryan (6), Jay Cutler (8)

Cutler vs. Giants Week 6, Ryan vs AZ Week 8

Looks good

RB - Arian Foster/Ben Tate (8), Daryl Richardson (11), Bilal Powell (10), Joseph Randle (TBD)

Looks good

WR - Roddy White (6), Miles Austin (11), Mike Wallace (6), Davone Bess (6), Donnie Avery (10), Marvin Jones (12)

Week 6 doesn't look good

TE - Dennis Pitta/Ed Dickson (8), Brent Celek (12)

Looks good

PK - Mason Crosby (4) , Phil Dawson (9)

Looks good

D/ST - New England (10) , Philadelphia (12)

New England vs. Denver Week 12 (PHI defense off), Eagles vs. GB Week 10 (NE off) - Not good for either one.

So Week 6 at WR is a problem, and defenses don't look great late.

my squad with 2 picks to go

QB - Romo, Vick

WR - Julio, VJax, Gordon, S.Hill, Burleson, J. Morgan

TE - Gronkowski

K - Vinatieri, Seabass

D - Seattle, Pitt

Rock solid as it gets, might only roll with Gronkow at TE.

However this is the achilles heel of this team:

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw, Vick Ballard, Gio Bernard, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Chris Ivory, LeGarrette Blount

whata bunch of bumms, usually I got lite at RB after Rb1, the Bradshaw thing is unfortunate, hopefully he latches on, I got 1a & 1b for the Colts if they dont draft someone, which they very well may. Need Gio Bernard to land in a good spot, Knowshon? Who Knows? Ivory was a shot in the dark.
well the Gronknowski injruy is my biggest concern since I went wth him solo

However the RB situation looks alot better. Gio Bernard was the first rookie of the board, steps right in as a 3rd down COP PPR style back.

Chris Ivory takes the gig in NYJ

Blount to NEpats? thats just weird

Looks like Ballard/D.Brown are 1a/1b in Indy now.

Lets ee where Bradshaw winds up

QB - Brees, Ponder

RB - Forte, Woodhead, Gillislee

RB - David Wilson, Ingram

WR - Fitzgerald, Jacoby Jones

WR - Nicks, Baldwin

WR - Little, Jeffery, Jenkins

TE - VDavis, Cameron

DEF - San Fran, Tampa

PK - SGraham, Folk
Gillislee in Miami, but with a late pick. don't expect much out of him.

my squad with 2 picks to go

QB - Romo, Vick

WR - Julio, VJax, Gordon, S.Hill, Burleson, J. Morgan

TE - Gronkowski

K - Vinatieri, Seabass

D - Seattle, Pitt

Rock solid as it gets, might only roll with Gronkow at TE.

However this is the achilles heel of this team:

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw, Vick Ballard, Gio Bernard, Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Chris Ivory, LeGarrette Blount

whata bunch of bumms, usually I got lite at RB after Rb1, the Bradshaw thing is unfortunate, hopefully he latches on, I got 1a & 1b for the Colts if they dont draft someone, which they very well may. Need Gio Bernard to land in a good spot, Knowshon? Who Knows? Ivory was a shot in the dark.
well the Gronknowski injruy is my biggest concern since I went wth him solo

However the RB situation looks alot better. Gio Bernard was the first rookie of the board, steps right in as a 3rd down COP PPR style back.

Chris Ivory takes the gig in NYJ

Blount to NEpats? thats just weird

Looks like Ballard/D.Brown are 1a/1b in Indy now.

Lets ee where Bradshaw winds up
Well with Gronk hurt, Josh Gordon suspended and Bradshaw going to Indy with the rest of my RB (of Ballard & D.brown)

not a good start to the season for this squad.

Only good news has been Chris Ivory

QB - Brees, Ponder
RB - Forte, Woodhead, Gillislee
RB - David Wilson, Ingram
WR - Fitzgerald, Jacoby Jones
WR - Nicks, Baldwin
WR - Little, Jeffery,Jenkins
TE - VDavis, Cameron
DEF - San Fran, Tampa
PK - SGraham, Folk

don't hate this team, but the Baldwin/Jenkins picks are sadly ironic.

Eating crow. That Calvin Peyton combo is making the rest of your team mostly irrelevant. 100 points between the 2 this week.

Users who are viewing this thread