What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (7 Viewers)

If Bills don't take one of Oliver or Hockenson I'm going to freak out a little. Unless it's because they get a haul to trade down.

Anyone watching on ABC? Curious if folks think Vox/Marshall paid for the product placement or if it's just tying into Nashville scene.

Most likely, the Bills saw this as a value pick. And after signing Star Lotulelei for big money in free agency last year, to pair with 2018 third-rounder Harrison Phillips and gifted (though mercurial) ex-Dolphin Jordan Phillips, they didn’t have a glaring need at defensive tackle. But outside, they badly need an edge rusher, as 2016 first-rounder Shaq Lawson is not that guy and Jerry Hughes could be in his last year with the club. That said, you can make room for a dynamic gap penetrator. Oliver relies on quickness and elusiveness within confined areas, which is a unique style of play. But considering his having had an up-and-down 2018 season and Buffalo not badly needing a defensive tackle, overall this is a high-risk, high-reward pick for a team looking to add talent in multiple places.

GRADE: C
SI.  Just leaving this here in case anybody thought that ESPN was the only cesspool of the sports journalism world.

Risner, Ford, Taylor, Metcalf, Brown, Irv Smith, Murphy, Greedy, Ya-Sin.  Maybe Ferguson. 

In my opinion, all great value, all positions of need.  I could see the Bills taking any of these guys.  This draft might fall to us perfectly. 

Really surprised Taylor is still out there.  If his knee is fine he would be a steal at 40.  If his knee is indeed messed up then I’m hoping for Risner.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Risner, Ford, Taylor, Metcalf, Brown, Irv Smith, Murphy, Greedy, Ya-Sin.  Maybe Ferguson. 

In my opinion, all great value, all positions of need.  I could see the Bills taking any of these guys.  This draft might fall to us perfectly. 

Really surprised Taylor is still out there.  If his knee is fine he would be a steal at 40.  If his knee is indeed messed up then I’m hoping for Risner.  
I guess everybody had a medical flag on Taylor that for some reason wasn't reported.  I read somewhere earlier today that he has had weight issues as well, and got up to 380+ at one point.  Sounds like Jamie Nails.  I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, but I'm leery.

Otherwise your list is similar to mine, though I would toss Deebo Samuel in there too.  The important thing is that we don't need to make any trades right now.  We can just sit tight and be pretty much assured of getting somebody who can start immediately.  I'm hoping that we can bundle some of the later picks we have sitting around and somehow manufacture an additional pick tonight since this is apparently where the value is.

I'd throw Hakeem Butler in that mix as well. Lots of talent still available. 

And then should be some good value at TE or DE in the 3rd.

Was watching some DK clips a bit ago... I REALLY hope the Bills get him. Unfortunately I think they'd need to trade up to get him. 6 of the 7 teams ahead of them could use a WR.

Bah... I never have a problem adding to the OLine. That is the most important position outside of the obvious (QB), but I really think DK is special.

Ugh... This is agonizing... Go get DK. You'd finish the draft with 3 1st round talents. I get it DK is a bit of a risk, but his upside is through the roof.

I'm disappointed that they weren't able to address the WR position, but I can't really argue too much with any particular pick -- that's just how the draft fell.  Passing on Cody Ford would have been stupid, and if they like Singletary, well he fills a clear need for this team too.  It looks like we go into next year with Brown and Foster with Beasley in the slot as our starters, and another year of seeing if Zay Jones can get it together.  That's hugely better than last year, but still not where we need to be long term.

I really love that this team is committed to getting its OL fixed and maintaining a strong DL.  This FO seems to understand how you build a team.  Ever since Bean took over, our draft picks all suddenly make sense.  No EJ Manuels, no Aaron Maybins, no Donte Whitners.  That's not to say that Ed Oliver won't be a bust -- who knows, really -- but we're not coming up with these weird, head-scratching picks that we all kind of got acclimated to under the previous regimes.  

Obviously it all comes down to Josh Allen next year, but we've put him in a position to succeed.  The season can't get here soon enough.

I think a lot depends on how their undrafted FA signings go. I think there are definitely a few WR's that could make the roster. David Sills stands out. Penny Hart. Emanuel Hall. Morgan. Anthony Johnson is a local guy.

A lot of good WR talent still on the board.

I'm disappointed that they weren't able to address the WR position, but I can't really argue too much with any particular pick -- that's just how the draft fell.  Passing on Cody Ford would have been stupid, and if they like Singletary, well he fills a clear need for this team too.  It looks like we go into next year with Brown and Foster with Beasley in the slot as our starters, and another year of seeing if Zay Jones can get it together.  That's hugely better than last year, but still not where we need to be long term.

I really love that this team is committed to getting its OL fixed and maintaining a strong DL.  This FO seems to understand how you build a team.  Ever since Bean took over, our draft picks all suddenly make sense.  No EJ Manuels, no Aaron Maybins, no Donte Whitners.  That's not to say that Ed Oliver won't be a bust -- who knows, really -- but we're not coming up with these weird, head-scratching picks that we all kind of got acclimated to under the previous regimes.  

Obviously it all comes down to Josh Allen next year, but we've put him in a position to succeed.  The season can't get here soon enough.
That pretty much sums up my opinion, as well.

One thing I don't get, though, is why is everyone discounting Zay Jones? Not just you, but I've read a lot of folks with that sentiment - Foster, Beasley, Brown as the top three, and Jones is an afterthought. I thought he showed some good improvement last year, and on top of that he led the team in receiving by a large margin. His numbers alone were pretty darn good for a team that passed for well under 3000 yards. I'm not saying I think he'll ever be a pro-bowler, but I think he's being sold short. I feel like he could be a real good #2 WR if they were to ever get a true #1.

Bills signed Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson.

Jackson (6’7/249) earned 2018 MAC Offensive Player of the Year and South Team MVP at January’s Senior Bowl after making 27 starts for the Bulls, engineering a 10-4 record in his final season and graduating with a 55.8% completion rate, 7.3 YPA, and a 49:24 TD-INT ratio plus 16 rushing scores. An aggressive deep passer, Jackson logged a MAC-high 13.8-yard Average Depth of Target (aDOT) in 2018. Jackson has huge hands (10 1’4"), is big-armed, and is athletic with 4.59 speed, but his inaccuracy may be a fatal flaw. He posted a 20.5% career off-target passing rate, worst of any college quarterback since 2011, per ESPN’s Mike Clay. Despite getting some Day 2 buzz, Jackson had to settle for a UDFA contract in Buffalo. Still, he has some developmental upside behind Josh Allen.
Dude is a massive human being with amazing speed.

Grigs Allmoon said:
That pretty much sums up my opinion, as well.

One thing I don't get, though, is why is everyone discounting Zay Jones? Not just you, but I've read a lot of folks with that sentiment - Foster, Beasley, Brown as the top three, and Jones is an afterthought. I thought he showed some good improvement last year, and on top of that he led the team in receiving by a large margin. His numbers alone were pretty darn good for a team that passed for well under 3000 yards. I'm not saying I think he'll ever be a pro-bowler, but I think he's being sold short. I feel like he could be a real good #2 WR if they were to ever get a true #1.
Jones definitely improved from year one (horrific) to year two, but he needs to take another big step forward next year to be part of our long-run starting rotation.  It's not like that's out of the question or anything -- lots of WRs take a little while to find their sea legs.  I'm just very happy that we don't have to rely on him as a starter this year.

The Frankman said:
Dude is a massive human being with amazing speed.
I like the signing. Put him on the PS for this year. Next year Derek Anderson could be gone, so maybe Jackson could bump up to #3, with Barkley as the vet backup. Jackson is worth investing a little time in, for really no cost...

Jones definitely improved from year one (horrific) to year two, but he needs to take another big step forward next year to be part of our long-run starting rotation.  It's not like that's out of the question or anything -- lots of WRs take a little while to find their sea legs.  I'm just very happy that we don't have to rely on him as a starter this year.
We definitely don't have to, but if I had to guess, I'd say our starting 3 this year will be Jones at #1, Beasley in the slot, and Foster/Brown at #2.

We definitely don't have to, but if I had to guess, I'd say our starting 3 this year will be Jones at #1, Beasley in the slot, and Foster/Brown at #2.
That would be great, as it would signify that Jones won a camp battle.  That's another thing -- Bean has created serious competition along the OL, at TE, and at WR.  We needed that.

That would be great, as it would signify that Jones won a camp battle.  That's another thing -- Bean has created serious competition along the OL, at TE, and at WR.  We needed that.
Agreed. And, as you said, there's reason to Billeve that this team should take a nice step forward this year.

I agree.  Zay does stuff that the speedsters can’t.  I think he’s a starter.  I also think he’s a better run blocker than the others too. 

On the Tyree Jackson point, as a diehard UB football fan - 

I am happy that the Bills grabbed him, as I do think he has a future in the NFL, albeit it's going to be a long road.  If nothing else, I like that he is a direct replacement, in terms of skillset, for Josh Allen.

He is not as premier of an athlete as Allen is, and is more of a pocket-passer, despite the metrics and the 40 time at the combine.  His footwork is not good, and he had a tendency, frankly, to wilt under adversity this past season.  I did not like his performance in the second half of the MAC title game or the Dollar General Bowl, just didn't see the fire in his eyes.

That said, he's big, he's tough, and he's got a cannon arm.  He's good at reading the field, extending plays, and he's at his best under pressure.  He did have the benefit of some very solid WRs these past two seasons, who were able to make the most, vertically, out of broken plays.  Again, if nothing else, it's Josh Allen-esque.

I think he's got a real shot to stick as a solid NFL backup, and who knows, maybe a few years down the road he could develop into a starter.  No question he's a project, but why not?

Overall, I thought the draft was fairly solid. One disturbing trend though is that in 2 seasons now, Beane has traded up 4 times and down 0. I know they really liked Cody Ford, but trading up 2 places for him there was silly. 

Sustaining success requires replenishing through the draft, and the best way to do that long-term is through comp picks and trading down for future picks. Beane is going to have to figure that out going forward or they're going to eventually run into significant cap problems. The Bills coming into the draft had the fewest players they drafted on their roster of any team in the NFL. With the state of the Bills what it was when they came in, maybe that is what was needed, but something needs to change.

I do wish that they had drafted another receiver. We'll have to hope that a lottery ticket like Foster, Sills, or Duke Williams hits. If Foster continues with what he was doing at the end of last year, they'll be fine. Or if Sills or Williams can look like their highlight reels, they'd be find.

There's always danger in using YouTube highlight videos to make any judgement on players, but I really like some of the things David Sills does. He's not elite physically, but he does some wide receiver things really well, which is surprising knowing that he hasn't spent a lot of time there.

He seems to understand how to setup defenders and know where the open spots on the field will be. He showed some nice footwork and use of his body to setup defenders off the line at times.

He also used his body really well to both shield off the defender and to make adjustments on the ball. Which leads into the next thing, which is showing a talent for tracking the ball. There are lots of clips of him doing a really really good job tracking the ball downfield and making the adjustment with his body to beat the defenders to the ball. 

He showed great use of his hands catching the ball away from his body too. 

He may be nothing, but he does show the ability to do some non-measurable type wide receiver things really well despite his lack of experience.

Not sure why some are disappointed that the Bills didn't go after a WR in the draft.  With the money spent on WR's in free agency, in Brown and Beasley, did you actually think another player would be added with those two, Foster and Jones in the mix and McKenzie as the 5th/special teamer in the mix?  Too many other holes to address, such as O-line and TE were more important and don't give me that old company line of picking the best athlete crap.  It's always been the best available athlete who can contribute right away.  Bills will be a run first type of team IMO.

If anything I'd question why the large log-jam of RB's in the mix?  Was there a market for Yeldon before the draft that the Bills HAD TO sign?  I don't get that.

I’m ok with them not selecting a WR early this year.  Next year the WR class is supposed to be STACKED.  I’m all about getting a stud WR in one of the first two rounds in 2020.  The WR’s we have on the roster now can be cut pretty cheaply if they don’t pan out.  

Users who are viewing this thread