What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (5 Viewers)

RE: Week 10 matchup vrs Chiefs

The supposedly stout Bills run defense gave up 150+ to the Vikings (McKinnon went over 100) and 172 to the Jets. The latter includes 88 yards to Vick and Harvin, something Kansas City doesn't have the personnel to replicate.

Interested in the homer perspective on whether the Bills can contain Jamal. I'm thinking Andy will have a run oriented game plan with heavy doses of Knile Davis mixed in. Even in plus matchups Bowe seems like JAG, and the Kelce snap counts/usage are befuddling.

Your thoughts on KC versus the Bills D?
Hard to say. The D's worse games have been vs other dink&dunk teams - NE & SD; so that doesn't bode well. Of course a simpler way of looking at that is those are the two best QB's they've played by far. KC certainly did nothing last year on offense in this game; though they're playing better now despite the worse record.

Don't know or really care about the Run D tbh. Every Bills game comes down to the offense and pass D mostly. McKinnon was the first guy in over a year to go over 100 and it got them 16pts despite four takeaways. Obviously if you have Charles in FF you're starting him.
When I posted that I was contemplating putting K Davis in a Flex. I'm sober now.

Thanks for the feedback, good luck this weekend.

What was Watkins injury history at Clemson? He's starting to make me a little nervous. Seems to have gotten quite dinged up so far in the NFL.

Per Schefter, the Bills are going to do a precautionary MRI, but don't believe Sammy's injury is serious.

And he apparently has had a groin injury for a few weeks but played through it.

What's incredible is that F-Jax was out there running with the 1s today. Sounds like he'll probably play Sunday. That guy is superhuman or something. He heals up from injuries freakishly fast. Must be the water at Coe or something.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS will host the BUFFALO BILLS in Week 7 on Sunday, October 25 at Wembley Stadium in London
.I'm actually OK with this. Not a home game for us (unlike the Toronto games) and we will still have all 8 of our games at the Ralph. And it gives us a little more national attention.
Yup, I have no problem. Away game against a team that will probably still be pretty bad. The only thing I don't like is that the field is a disaster and injuries are always a concern.

Sammy didn't practice today, according to multiple reports.

Just the Bills luck, a huge game this week probably the biggest in the last 8+ years and i'm just not feeling it.

That pass rush and Andy Reid likely out coach us and Marrone and the offense with potentially no Watkins will just look bad, Smith makes enough plays and holds onto the ball to be the difference in this one. Our line isn't good enough to limit Orton to mistake free football.

Go Bills!

You can officially put me on the side of scrapping this coaching staff and starting anew next year, after today. I was giving them a lot of leniency, but I'm done.

You can officially put me on the side of scrapping this coaching staff and starting anew next year, after today. I was giving them a lot of leniency, but I'm done.
I don't know how the coaches are to blame for Bryce Brown fumbling at the goal line. Orton missing several passes in the red zone. McKelvin fumbling on a huge punt return. All of the dropped third down passes. Etc. The coaches put the team in a position to win the game. The players didn't execute. At all.

I don't know how the coaches are to blame for Bryce Brown fumbling at the goal line. Orton missing several passes in the red zone. McKelvin fumbling on a huge punt return. All of the dropped third down passes. Etc. The coaches put the team in a position to win the game. The players didn't execute. At all.
Either 4th and 1, the defensive conservatism at key times in the game, that pathetic final play with time to hit a 15 yard out... There were plenty of examples.

Oh, and they were out coached by Andy Reid at the end of a game. Ask Philly/KC fans how often he does that...

Either 4th and 1, the defensive conservatism at key times in the game, that pathetic final play with time to hit a 15 yard out... There were plenty of examples.

Oh, and they were out coached by Andy Reid at the end of a game. Ask Philly/KC fans how often he does that...
I don't blame the coaches for not going for it on their side of the field on 4th and 1 with the defense playing well. At least 90% of coaches in the NFL (including the good ones) wouldn't go for it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been too much of a football junkie to not watch the 4pm games..

Until today.

Same game vs the same garbage popgun smoke&mirrors team in the same qtr with the same score, going up 17-3. Brown could've at least eased the pain a little and score on the next possession but no, he can't break a weak ankle tackle.

Haven't been this disgusted since the Dallas Monday night game.

I guess on the flip side who were we gonna give a competitive game in the playoffs on the road anyway if we can't beat these teams at home.

I'm all for saying bye to Marrone although I don't put this one on him. It'd be nice to see him chew out an official though for as much as we've been hosed this year.

The reason why they lost the game is execution.

The reason Marrone needs to be fired is an utter inability to adjust in the game. And that is his personality so it wont change.

They lost to NE because the Pats adjusted and moved to a deeper drop back in the second half. All of a sudden, Brady had time to throw, the Bills dont adapt and they get carved up.

Going for it on 4th and 10 is inexcusable given how Orton was playing down in the redzone. It was a <1% play.

As the coach, you HAVE to pay attention to the game and what your players are capable of make your calls based on that.

But Marrone is too stubborn, and that is why the Bills will keep just missing untul he is gone.

This team has playoff talent :(

I don't blame the coaches for not going for it on their side of the field on 4th and 1 with the defense playing well. At least 90% of coaches in the NFL (including the good ones) wouldn't go for it there.
Bellichek would.

Bellichek would.
Bellichek has a hall of fame QB at his disposal and usually isn't playing with third and fourth string RBs on the field.

I guess we have to put this in perspective: the Bills were lucky to escape the Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota games with wins. Those teams should have beat the Bills without their own self-inflicted miscues, so the Bills were due for a game to go the other way on them.

The bottom line is that if the Bills were really a playoff team, they would have won today and all of those other games handily. They just aren't there yet. The QB play has been inconsistent, the running game has been lacking, the pass blocking has been poor for most of the year and the secondary definitely has holes. Everyone wants to point to the pass rush and the skill position talent, but that just isn't enough.

Another season over before Thanksgiving.

Thoughts on 2015 draft? Not as interesting to talk about without the 1st, but I guess Guard would be the obvious first choice all things being equal.

Another season over before Thanksgiving.

Thoughts on 2015 draft? Not as interesting to talk about without the 1st, but I guess Guard would be the obvious first choice all things being equal.
Both guard positions need to be addressed, more depth at CB, trying to replace Larry Hughes, possibly replacing Brandon Spikes, a good all-around TE, and possibly another RB with CJ potentially gone and Fred about to expire.

ETA: There will likely be some good QB prospects still available in the second round. I don't think it makes sense to jump on one unless you are 100% convinced EJ isn't the guy - which I don't think we can say yet.

I don't pin this loss on Marrone, because his gameplan has this team in a position to win a fairly convincing game over a good opponent. His players choked it away. Should he have gone for it on a couple of fourth downs? Mathematically speaking, of course, but he shares the same statistical illiteracy that 99% of coaches do, so I don't think it's especially reasonable to call him out for that.

That said, I really do want him gone because during his tenure his team has had a tendency to make stupid, undisciplined mistakes and commit stupid penalties (hello, Seantrel Henderson) at the worst possible times. Sorry, but that's coaching. It's not the sort of thing that you can point to any one particular game, but you see it over the course of multiple seasons.

We settled for Doug Marrone because nobody else would take this job with the ownership that was in place at the time. Just like we had to settle for Chan Gailey and to a lesser extent **** Jauron. How about if we quit settling and go out and bring in a decent staff? We have a pretty decent roster and less uncertainty than we had before. Take advantage of it and upgrade our staff.

I don't pin this loss on Marrone, because his gameplan has this team in a position to win a fairly convincing game over a good opponent. His players choked it away. Should he have gone for it on a couple of fourth downs? Mathematically speaking, of course, but he shares the same statistical illiteracy that 99% of coaches do, so I don't think it's especially reasonable to call him out for that.

That said, I really do want him gone because during his tenure his team has had a tendency to make stupid, undisciplined mistakes and commit stupid penalties (hello, Seantrel Henderson) at the worst possible times. Sorry, but that's coaching. It's not the sort of thing that you can point to any one particular game, but you see it over the course of multiple seasons.

We settled for Doug Marrone because nobody else would take this job with the ownership that was in place at the time. Just like we had to settle for Chan Gailey and to a lesser extent **** Jauron. How about if we quit settling and go out and bring in a decent staff? We have a pretty decent roster and less uncertainty than we had before. Take advantage of it and upgrade our staff.
Isn't it too early to start digging Marrone's grave? This team still has a winning record and is noticeably better than they were last year.

I guess we have to put this in perspective: the Bills were lucky to escape the Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota games with wins. Those teams should have beat the Bills without their own self-inflicted miscues, so the Bills were due for a game to go the other way on them.
While it's true that fans tend to seflishly only think about games they "should've won" and not "should've lost", it is not true that those things just magically even out for every team every year. The Pats won about three more games than they deserved to in their first SB season; the Giants I believe had a negative point differential in one of theirs; the Jets benefitted from the Colts forfeiting a run at a perfect season...

Not that this team was going to make a deep playoff run, but I think the hope after the Lions game was that maybe, just maybe, we'd finally have a year where the majority of breaks just went our way. It happens all the time - that's why there is so much team turnover in the playoffs every year not involving teams with Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Luck. God forbid that ever happen for the Bills. The football Gods who obviously don't exist can go to hell.

The bottom line is that if the Bills were really a playoff team, they would have won today and all of those other games handily. They just aren't there yet. The QB play has been inconsistent, the running game has been lacking, the pass blocking has been poor for most of the year and the secondary definitely has holes. Everyone wants to point to the pass rush and the skill position talent, but that just isn't enough.
But it is enough for a lot of teams. Wildcard teams have serious weaknesses. Most of them have holes in their secondary and on their OL or whatever.

Isn't it too early to start digging Marrone's grave? This team still has a winning record and is noticeably better than they were last year.
This team is clearly and unambiguously better than last year's team. No doubt.

I just think they'd be even more better with another attainable coaching staff. I'm not asking for an 80s/90s-era Bill Parcells, just somebody who doesn't consistently do stupid stuff and whose players do the same.

While it's true that fans tend to seflishly only think about games they "should've won" and not "should've lost", it is not true that those things just magically even out for every team every year. The Pats won about three more games than they deserved to in their first SB season; the Giants I believe had a negative point differential in one of theirs; the Jets benefitted from the Colts forfeiting a run at a perfect season...

Not that this team was going to make a deep playoff run, but I think the hope after the Lions game was that maybe, just maybe, we'd finally have a year where the majority of breaks just went our way. It happens all the time - that's why there is so much team turnover in the playoffs every year not involving teams with Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Luck. God forbid that ever happen for the Bills. The football Gods who obviously don't exist can go to hell.

But it is enough for a lot of teams. Wildcard teams have serious weaknesses. Most of them have holes in their secondary and on their OL or whatever.
And most of those teams have very good/reliable QB play. The Bills have been lacking that for at least 12 years (Bledsoe's first season in Buffalo). Orton has been good at times, but not nearly enough to consider this team a credible playoff team.

And most of those teams have very good/reliable QB play. The Bills have been lacking that for at least 12 years (Bledsoe's first season in Buffalo). Orton has been good at times, but not nearly enough to consider this team a credible playoff team.
You don't need to convince me how important a good QB is. But I think there's a saturation point of "competent but not good" after the top 12 or so. Not much difference between ~14-25, but a big difference between 25 and 29, if that makes sense. Orton is definitely on the lower end of that competency scale but he's closer to Matt Stafford than EJ Manuel. I don't know how good the Lions secondary/OL are. I know KC has a junk offense run by a mediocre QB and LB's that rival the Kelsay era Bills.

This. I'm on the fence on Marrone. And FWIW, it's a tough call blaming that Henderson penalty on Marrone. Keep in mind that Seandrel is a rookie 7th round pick starting at tackle. He's a diamond in the rough and a good find at that. Of course he's going to make a mistake or two now and then. He'd make those mistakes if Bill Walsh were his coach.

You don't need to convince me how important a good QB is. But I think there's a saturation point of "competent but not good" after the top 12 or so. Not much difference between ~14-25, but a big difference between 25 and 29, if that makes sense. Orton is definitely on the lower end of that competency scale but he's closer to Matt Stafford than EJ Manuel. I don't know how good the Lions secondary/OL are. I know KC has a junk offense run by a mediocre QB and LB's that rival the Kelsay era Bills.
I think we saw why Orton has never stuck in one place. He's a classic journeyman QB who can win a few games for you, sure, but he won't lead your team to the playoffs either. If we can pin this KC loss on anyone, we should pin it on Orton. He made some truly atrocious throws and made questionable decisions.

I'm pretty much straddling the fence of the "fire Marrone ASAP" fence, but I don't put that loss yesterday on him. There were some problems that I do put on the coaching - punting from the Chiefs 42, a sequence of events in the first half where the Bills had a 1st and 10 following a punt, burned a timeout, and then had a false start....things like that.

Orton missed some throws late, but I didn't think he was that awful for the entirety of the game. Watkins was pretty clearly gimpy, which is going to kill the passing game. What I don't get is though...the Bills came right out of the half just throwing right at Sean Smith. I think there was a stretch on the first drive of the second half where they went at him for like 7-8 yard hitches for like 4 out of 5 plays. He looked frustrated; he even threw his hands up in the air after one of the plays. But then they just stopped doing that. Orton was making those throws. With the hitches, you can set up some kind of double move and throw vertical. But the Bills never did that. The only vertical routes they threw all day were the ones at the end when Orton was just kinda winging it (he did miss at least 1 TD throw badly though).

There's a reason Orton was a free agent on the verge of retirement....he's serviceable and better than most Bills QBs of the past 15 years, but he's not Aaron Rodgers...

he's not Aaron Rodgers...
doesn't really seem like a fair comparison.

how does he compare with guys like Cutler, Dalton, Flacco, A.Smith, Tannehill? Doesn't seem crazy to put him somewhere in that range to me.

I agree he had a poor game yesterday, but still felt like the 40yd TD run for Charles and the McKelvin fumble were the two key plays that lost the game. If Orton makes some better throws, it wouldn't have come down to that.

Still feel great about this defense. Hoping they can keep it together for awhile.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Steve Tasker said:
doesn't really seem like a fair comparison.

how does he compare with guys like Cutler, Dalton, Flacco, A.Smith, Tannehill? Doesn't seem crazy to put him somewhere in that range to me.

I agree he had a poor game yesterday, but still felt like the 40yd TD run for Charles and the McKelvin fumble were the two key plays that lost the game. If Orton makes some better throws, it wouldn't have come down to that.

Still feel great about this defense. Hoping they can keep it together for awhile.
It's not at all a fair comparison, that's what I was getting at. He's going to have bad games now and then. He's not Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. (though they all have bad games as well).

I would have no problem putting him in that range of QBs that you've listed there. Hell, Andy Dalton has like a $100 million contract and has taken the Bengals to multiple playoff appearances and he puts up ####ty performances every few weeks.

I'm 29, I'm not sure who to blame anymore. I've never seen them be good. I've had seasons for ten years. Been a fan since i was little, albeit it I really didn't understand what was happening until my teens - I'm going to start blaming my parents for helping me become a Bills fan.

I had this as a win and Miami as a loss, just need to flop those then. Beat Miami. Short week, lets go.

flysack said:
I think we saw why Orton has never stuck in one place. He's a classic journeyman QB who can win a few games for you, sure, but he won't lead your team to the playoffs either. If we can pin this KC loss on anyone, we should pin it on Orton. He made some truly atrocious throws and made questionable decisions.
Orton is what he is.

Doesn't suck but... well you are seeing it and you don't want to build a team around him so what does he provide other than he's not E.J.?

I felt signing him would provide exactly what he has given. A few more short-term wins but at a long-term expense without a true answer at QB for the future.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/knocking-on-the-door-orton-leaves-empty-handed-20141109

Knocking on the door, Orton leaves empty-handed

Kyle Orton is not entirely at fault for the Bills’ loss to Kansas City, but he didn’t do enough to win it.

...as I looked back over Sunday’s loss, and over the entire 14-year landscape of dysfunction, I returned to one basic and overriding thought:

This team still doesn’t have a franchise quarterback.

If that sounds harsh, or inconsistent, so be it. But Kyle Orton had a chance to lift the Bills to victory in the fourth quarter again, and he wasn’t up to it. Orton had four shots, four consecutive passes from the Chiefs’ 15-yard line inside the three-minute mark, and misfired badly on all four.

He underthrew Sammy Watkins near the goal-line on first down. He overthrew Chris Hogan on the next two downs. On fourth down, he underthrew a pass behind Watkins that was nearly intercepted at the goal line.

“We had a couple of missed opportunities,” Orton said, “and when you’re playing a good football team it usually comes back to haunt you. We were right there. We were knocking on the door and really thought we’d get it done. I wish I had the third-down pass back to Hogan. It just didn’t work out.”

I’m not saying Orton cost them the game. But watching him struggle on the critical series was a jolt of reality, a reminder that he’s not a true franchise quarterback, but a journeyman on his fifth NFL team. There’s a reason no team has committed to him long-term.

Yes, Orton was an upgrade over EJ Manuel, a solid short-term solution for a team that was desperate to win games for an embattled management and new ownership. He led them to comeback wins over the Lions and Vikings. He brought out the best in Watkins and breathed hope into a desperate fan base.

The problem with following a chronic loser is that the need to believe can become greater than the reality. People are so desperate for a franchise quarterback that they want to see more in Orton than is actually there.

I’ll admit, I was one of them. Just a week ago, I suggested that Orton could be a sort of interim franchise quarterback for the Bills. He’ll be 32 in a week, but the NFL has become a league of older quarterbacks, so there’s no reason Orton couldn’t be playing at a high level three years from now.

And Orton could be the Bills’ starter for the next couple of years. He’s a clear upgrade over Manuel as a passer and leader, and good enough to get them to .500 or better this year for the first time in a decade.

Still, losing at home to the Chiefs – their third straight loss at The Ralph to an AFC opponent – puts their playoff hopes in severe jeopardy. They’re now 2-4 in the conference and effectively two games back of K.C. in the event of a tie for a wild-card berth.

Granted, the Chiefs have a terrific defense. Losing to them is no disgrace. They beat Tom Brady and Philip Rivers this year, too. But watching Orton struggle so badly in that crucial fourth-quarter series provided some needed perspective. A true franchise QB doesn’t make those four throws.

And that’s why this feels like the same old thing. When you say “same old Bills,” it summons a trove of grim memories: fumbled kickoffs, coaches punting from the opposing 32-yard line, backup running backs having career days against them, dubious calls by the officials, brutal draft picks.

But for the last 15 years, it has meant one thing above all: inadequate play at the sport’s most important position. The main reason the Bills have gone the longest of any team in the NFL without making the playoffs is because they haven’t had a true franchise quarterback since Jim Kelly.

Orton might be the best they’ve had in a decade. But let’s not overestimate him. By elevating him to the level of savior, you take the organization off the hook for botching the quarterback position in the first place. Management still has to answer for reaching on the Manuel pick and trading away next year’s No. 1 pick to justify their misplaced faith in him.

OK, so Orton made some good throws Sunday. He threw a terrific pass to Hogan for a 25-yard TD early in the game. That led you to think the offense might be in for a big day. The offensive line held up well against one of the NFL’s top pass-rushing teams. But Orton didn’t complete another pass over 20 yards.

He needed to complete a 15-yarder in the end. They put the game in Orton’s hands, calling those four straight passes deep in K.C.’s territory with the game on the line. I can’t imagine they would have shown the same kind of trust in Manuel. Orton rewarded them by throwing four ducks.

The Bills had a chance to go 6-3 for the first time in 15 years, an opportunity to separate themselves from years of dysfunction and gain respect as a real playoff threat. Once again, they weren’t up to it.

I’m not saying Orton lost the game, simply that he didn’t win it.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Steve Tasker said:
doesn't really seem like a fair comparison.how does he compare with guys like Cutler, Dalton, Flacco, A.Smith, Tannehill? Doesn't seem crazy to put him somewhere in that range to me.

Don't forget the Bryce Brown fumble. And Chandler's inability to fall on the ball in the endzone. And the Aaron Williams personal foul.

Don't forget the Bryce Brown fumble. And Chandler's inability to fall on the ball in the endzone. And the Aaron Williams personal foul.
yeah, I was going to go back and edit my post to include the Brown fumble. that was certainly a huge play.

tough to hate the coaches too much when two critical fumbles in the game were very likely the difference between winning and losing.

Whether we approve of Marrone and his staff or not is a moot point. The reality is that they're all going to be out of a job unless the Bills make the playoffs this year and the strength of the AFC North and the tiebreaker game losses to both the Chargers and Chiefs make that prospect unlikely. They pretty much need to win the next 3 games to get to 8-4 before the Denver trip to have any kind of chance and they'd still need some help on top of that.

Let's face it. Both this team and this coaching staff are done.

Whether we approve of Marrone and his staff or not is a moot point. The reality is that they're all going to be out of a job unless the Bills make the playoffs this year
what makes you so sure of this?

Terry Pegula has never given any indication of this type of ownership style during his time with the Sabres. If anything, he is patient to a fault.

But, he was a huge fan and had some attachment to the Ruff/Regier regime there. Not sure he has any similar attachment to Marrone and the Bills coaches.

If they did get rid of Marrone though, how do you break up this defense? Would that mean giving Jim Schwartz a shot at the head job? After the way things went in Detroit, not sure that's what Bills fans should be hoping for either.

They honestly might be better off sticking with these guys for one more year given the signs of progress I think we are seeing.

I think the most disappointing thing about how this played out, is that we all know that the only true way to be a true contender every year in today's NFL is to have an elite QB. An elite defense with a QB that does ok and gets hot in the playoffs can win you a Super Bowl, but those teams aren't typically contenders year after year. Those teams are also a lot harder to keep all the pieces together on versus keep a singular stud QB.

The Bills have that elite defense this year, and the reality is that the QB play is what tanked this team. EJ's struggles early and Orton's performance Sunday just weren't good enough. And at the end of this year, who knows where guys like Spikes and Hughes will end up. So it's possible that this was the window for this team and it's already closed.

I can (and have) blamed the coaching staff for all sorts of failings, but the truth of that matter is that EJ fell on his face and Orton is nothing more than a very good backup or bottom tier starter.

The one caveat on my blame of the QB position is that a strong running game could have made up for a lot of those failings. And whether it is Whaley's fault on personnel or Marrone's fault because it's his O-line (or Hackett's fault on play calling), the running game has been mostly awful. They haven't been able to rely on it to wear down defenses, slow pass rushes, gain tough first downs, convert into TDs in the red zone or get explosive plays from Spiller. The running game has largely been a huge failure and with a stud defense and weak QBs, that was pretty much the nail in the coffin for this team.

Users who are viewing this thread