What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (8 Viewers)

I wasn't excited about it, but I get the pick and it seems like he's a good fit. You need a lot of good corners these days. Plus, Graham can slide over to safety. And they will need to shed McKelvins contract soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest problem with the pick is that Darby seems like a dirt bag. A witness to Winston raping that girl, refused to testify about it, and he was also involved with a drunken hit-and-run where a drunken teammate was hit and seriously injured.

2) Rex has a pretty good track record with drafting CBs. If you look at his draft profile, it's kind of similar to Revis's.
Are you sure about that?
Pretty sure. Both very athletic and stick to receivers like glue. Both read and diagnose offenses really well. Both have great recovery. Both credited with good ball awareness and both unfairly criticized for lack of INTs.
Dee Milner and Kyle Wilson were huge first round flops at cb Rex chose.

Don't know why I bother, I'm always wrong.

But still hoping for Collins (I think he's bluffing and will sign), Clemmings, Jackson, Dawson, Harold, and of course Petty.

With that said, we'll probably draft a WR....

GroveDiesel said:
My biggest problem with the pick is that Darby seems like a dirt bag. A witness to Winston raping that girl, refused to testify about it, and he was also involved with a drunken hit-and-run where a drunken teammate was hit and seriously injured.
Is this why he went in the second round? Someone with his cover skills are usually 1st round picks.

At least they drafted a guard with their 3rd rounder. Seems like a good fit for Roman's offense too. A mauler in the run game.

GroveDiesel said:
I don't love it, but:

1) CB was an under the radar need with McKelvin and Graham both having big cap numbers next year and getting older.

2) Rex has a pretty good track record with drafting CBs. If you look at his draft profile, it's kind of similar to Revis's.
This is a smart pick. An aggressive defense like the one Rex Ryan will employ can never have enough CBs. I don't mind this at all.

Grigs Allmoon said:
Mr. Peterson said:
But still hoping for Collins (I think he's bluffing and will sign)
I'd call his bluff, too... Take him in 4 or 5 and say "hey, if your cleared, and you're willing to sign, we'll pay you like an early 3..."
Doesn't work with the hard rookie pay scale. That why his agent made the announcement.

I can't imagine a worse answer to a question about his off field problems from Darby:

"you can't control what you're around"

Guy has troubled bust written all over him.

I can't imagine a worse answer to a question about his off field problems from Darby:

OOOOOOF.

I'm already starting to change my mind on this pick.
What really frustrates me is that it's being reported that the Bills never even interviewed him at any point. How do you take a guy in the second round, with your first pick of the draft, that has character concerns without having even interviewed him? Makes Whaley and Rex look really really bad IMO and me not trust them when they talked about Incognito turning over a new leaf.

Grigs Allmoon said:
Mr. Peterson said:
I'd call his bluff, too... Take him in 4 or 5 and say "hey, if your cleared, and you're willing to sign, we'll pay you like an early 3..."
Doesn't work with the hard rookie pay scale. That why his agent made the announcement.
Don't you have the ability to give higher signing bonuses? I thought the rookie restrictions were more for the core of the contract.

Grigs Allmoon said:
Mr. Peterson said:
Don't you have the ability to give higher signing bonuses? I thought the rookie restrictions were more for the core of the contract.
Nope, teams have a total pool of money they can't exceed. Both for draft picks and for UDFA.

Great, another FSU dirtbag (investigated for domestic assault in November) at a position where there really wasn't even much need. I can understand that kind of drafting if you just won a Super Bowl, or had a ton of draft picks, but the Bills seem to be taking guys with major character red flags at already strong positions and over drafting those guys in the process. Awful.

OOOOOOF.

I'm already starting to change my mind on this pick.
What really frustrates me is that it's being reported that the Bills never even interviewed him at any point. How do you take a guy in the second round, with your first pick of the draft, that has character concerns without having even interviewed him? Makes Whaley and Rex look really really bad IMO and me not trust them when they talked about Incognito turning over a new leaf.
The lack of a personal interview doesn't throw me off too much as I guarantee you that they talked to all of Darby's coaches at FSU who likely gave a more accurate view of him than the direct interview would have. But, yes, the broader picture on him doesn't sound the greatest.

Bills waste another pick at RB. Yawn.
This should have been addressed next year considering Dixon, Jackson and Brown still have time under their contracts. What team carries 5 HBs on their roster? Maybe they plan on getting rid of Brown in training camp?

This should have been addressed next year considering Dixon, Jackson and Brown still have time under their contracts. What team carries 5 HBs on their roster? Maybe they plan on getting rid of Brown in training camp?
I fear for Freddy. I don't care what they've been saying, if this FSU kid shines, Brown is axed first, and Freddy is next.

They traded their 4th for Brown and then used a 5th on Williams. No way both make the team probably. Seems dumb. I guess they don't care about burning picks.

They traded their 4th for Brown and then used a 5th on Williams. No way both make the team probably. Seems dumb. I guess they don't care about burning picks.
In fairness, Brown isn't good. I don't mind if they cut their losses there.

In fairness, Brown isn't good. I don't mind if they cut their losses there.
Not sure 4 RBs plus a FB make the roster anyway. I guess Williams could get stashed on the practice squad at least.

Williams (from what I read) is also a special teams ace. He came to FSU as safety, played one game in 2012 (at LB) and switched to RB for 2013 and 2014.

My guess is Williams takes Searcys role. Special Teams mostly and practice reps at SS. I actually liked the way Williams ran in the small amount that I watched. He looked much better than the 2012 game at LB but that's a bit unfair since it was his first game. It would be interesting to hear why he switched positions and what Rex has planned for him.

Borden said:
Williams (from what I read) is also a special teams ace.
Well at least this makes sense then. Though we already a special teams ace. But hey, 2 is good.
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. Who is the current ace you are referring to?
Marcus Easley has been one of the top special teams players in the league the last two years.

I'm really not happy with the character of the guys the Bills have brought in this year and Whaley's assurances sure do seem pretty pathetic. When discussing the fact that Darby witnessed Winston's "incident" and ran away from a drunken hit and a run, and Karlos Williams beat the crap out of his girlfriend and arranged a drug deal where his friend got robbed at gunpoint, Whaley could only say that they checked them out and were satisfied. When the reporters followed up by asking him what would keep him from drafting a player, his answer was "stealing from a teammate."

Seriously!? WTF!? Not rape, not assaulting a woman, not robbing someone else, not being complicit to a woman's rape, nope; stealing from a teammate is the unforgivable sin in Whaley's eyes. What a turd.

Remaining a fan of a perpetually bad team is hard enough. Being a fan of a perpetually bad team filled with dirtbags may not be tolerable for me.

I will say this though, we already know Kiper is a hack, but his Reasoning on the Bills grade is ridiculous. He gave the Bills draft a really low grade last year because of the trade for Watkins and used the same trade to lower their grade this year. That's ridiculous. Hitting them for it both years is stupid. He's right to hit them for it this year since this is when they incurred the cost, but it shows how dumb his grade was last year.

It's also hilarious because he dinged the Bills for taking Watkins instead of being smart and waiting and taking Marqise Lee. Then, when he re-did his evaluations in January he dinged the Bills for trading up for Watkins instead of staying put and taking Beckham. Which just demonstrated that neither Lee nor Beckham were such sure things while Watkins has looked every part the star.

The Bills deserve a bad grade, but reading that article and seeing several of the "experts" ding the Bills in both 2014 and 2015 for the Watkins trade is frustrating. It just shows how dumb the whole draft grading process is.

I will say this though, we already know Kiper is a hack, but his Reasoning on the Bills grade is ridiculous. He gave the Bills draft a really low grade last year because of the trade for Watkins and used the same trade to lower their grade this year. That's ridiculous. Hitting them for it both years is stupid. He's right to hit them for it this year since this is when they incurred the cost, but it shows how dumb his grade was last year.

It's also hilarious because he dinged the Bills for taking Watkins instead of being smart and waiting and taking Marqise Lee. Then, when he re-did his evaluations in January he dinged the Bills for trading up for Watkins instead of staying put and taking Beckham. Which just demonstrated that neither Lee nor Beckham were such sure things while Watkins has looked every part the star.

The Bills deserve a bad grade, but reading that article and seeing several of the "experts" ding the Bills in both 2014 and 2015 for the Watkins trade is frustrating. It just shows how dumb the whole draft grading process is.
Who cares? The draft is what it is. Why not just the results play out and if Kiper (or whoever) is right, then they're right. Who really gives a #### about grades handed out 24 hours after the draft?

Edit: I agree that this draft was boring and a little weird. But again, who really cares. We traded away our first for a lights-out playmaker, and we've improved our roster to the point that most picks wouldn't be starting anyway. The main exception is QB, and while I would have liked to have drafted one, there wasn't a must-draft guy there anyplace when we picked. Not seeing the criticism.

I'm really not happy with the character of the guys the Bills have brought in this year and Whaley's assurances sure do seem pretty pathetic. When discussing the fact that Darby witnessed Winston's "incident" and ran away from a drunken hit and a run, and Karlos Williams beat the crap out of his girlfriend and arranged a drug deal where his friend got robbed at gunpoint, Whaley could only say that they checked them out and were satisfied. When the reporters followed up by asking him what would keep him from drafting a player, his answer was "stealing from a teammate."

Seriously!? WTF!? Not rape, not assaulting a woman, not robbing someone else, not being complicit to a woman's rape, nope; stealing from a teammate is the unforgivable sin in Whaley's eyes. What a turd.

Remaining a fan of a perpetually bad team is hard enough. Being a fan of a perpetually bad team filled with dirtbags may not be tolerable for me.
WOW.

I've never been a fan of post-draft grading by the draftniks as it really takes 2-3 years to determine the success of a draft class - not 24 to 48 hours. And I'm not just saying that b/c the Bills got a low grade this year. Assuming there were no ridiculous reaches, stuff like this just needs to play themselves out.

I've never been a fan of post-draft grading by the draftniks as it really takes 2-3 years to determine the success of a draft class - not 24 to 48 hours. And I'm not just saying that b/c the Bills got a low grade this year. Assuming there were no ridiculous reaches, stuff like this just needs to play themselves out.
Well we know that there will be several 1st round busts - we just don't know who they are yet. So by virtue of not having a 1st round pick to screw up they're already ahead of those teams.

Rex and the brass are the first team to meet with La'el Collins today.

Intriguing.

Investigators keep saying he's not a suspect in his gf's murder.

And with limited cap space allowed to undrafted free agents, as well Collins being ineligible for the 2016 draft, you have to think he's going to sign with the best opportunity to showcase his talents. He needs to start to make bank in a couple years. The Bills can offer that. But do they want this hot potato of a situation on top of all the questionable characters they just drafted?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/5/4/8549585/lael-collins-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-rex-ryan

Intriguing.

And with limited cap space allowed to undrafted free agents, as well Collins being ineligible for the 2016 draft, you have to think he's going to sign with the best opportunity to showcase his talents. He needs to start to make bank in a couple years. The Bills can offer that. But do they want this hot potato of a situation on top of all the questionable characters they just drafted?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/5/4/8549585/lael-collins-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-rex-ryan
I'm not the biggest Rex fan, but I will say I think this is where he is a benefit to the organization, selling the team to a young kid free agent.

I think Miami is the prettier location with better weather, and I don't know....maybe better facilities? But I'd rather have Rex going in to sell the kid on joining the Bills than a guy like Philbin.

Intriguing.

No thanks. I'd rather not add onto the OJ Simpson Wing of the organization. If the police come out and totally clear him, THEN I'm game. So if this is just the Bills feeling him out and letting him know that they have interest if he is cleared, then I'm cool with it. If this has the potential to turn into a signing before all the facts are known, then I'm not happy at all.

Intriguing.

No thanks. I'd rather not add onto the OJ Simpson Wing of the organization. If the police come out and totally clear him, THEN I'm game. So if this is just the Bills feeling him out and letting him know that they have interest if he is cleared, then I'm cool with it. If this has the potential to turn into a signing before all the facts are known, then I'm not happy at all.
Hey man, just chill out. It's ok.

I was not happy with the Rex signing but after some initial complaining I decided to be positive. However, let's look at what he has done.

Let go of Swartz who had a top 5 (at worst) defense.

Brought in Incognito who was suspended because he was such a jerk to his teammates.

-paid 6 mil to Harvin was moved out of Seattle because of injuries, lack of production and rumors of being a terrible teammate

-trade an up and coming LB for an expensive RB who has continually talked down his former coach since the trade

-drafted a CB that might have help cover up a rape and was involved in a hit and run

-drafted an RB that hit his girlfriend and arranged a drug deal that ended in a gun point robbery

Any others that I'm missing?

I was not happy with the Rex signing but after some initial complaining I decided to be positive. However, let's look at what he has done.

Brought in Incognito who was suspended because he was such a jerk to his teammates.

-paid 6 mil to Harvin was moved out of Seattle because of injuries, lack of production and rumors of being a terrible teammate

-trade an up and coming LB for an expensive RB who has continually talked down his former coach since the trade

-drafted a CB that might have help cover up a rape and was involved in a hit and run

-drafted an RB that hit his girlfriend and arranged a drug deal that ended in a gun point robbery

I mean most of it is Whaley, Rex and Pegula signing off on these.

The RB is the only move I question, Could care less about contract amounts to Harvin and bringing in Incognito.

Your positivity on Rex and your team are commendable. It does make you wonder what The Moron and His Minions would have done had he not opted out of his contract.

Users who are viewing this thread