What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (2 Viewers)

Better, just not 4th round better. Can't see the value on that team with those qbs. High risk.
A poor QB? Perfect! Because Patterson is a poor route runner. Screens and 5-10 yards passes...lots of them.
Poor route runner?? He was raw entering the league last year, but should make big strides this year in the department. All that said, he's definitely being drafted a few rounds too early for my liking

I like Patterson but I have to admit I don't understand league configurations where a guy like him would be taken in the 4th round. Where do those who think he is a 4th round pick rank him among WRs? Top 10? Teens? Low, mid or high 20s?

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Vikings – June 1 ADP 5.03 – Current ADP 4.05

Patterson is the poster boy for the overvalued “sleeper.” An unquestioned physical monster, he is being drafted among the likes of Pierre Garcon, Victor Cruz, Larry Fitzgerald, and Roddy White. He certainly has the upside to compete with and even surpass that group, but there are questions that need answering before he is considered a top-15 wideout.

The most important of those is his ability as a receiver. It is true that Norv Turner was so giddy at the thought of utilizing Patterson he immediately scribbled “10 plays” in his dream journal, but the fact that Turner felt the need to install specific plays for Patterson should be a hint as to where he is as a receiver.

Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant do not have specific plays drawn out for them. They run routes and make plays within the constraints of the offense. Patterson does not have the ability yet, as evidenced by his usage last season. According to Pro Football Focus, 22 of Patterson’s 72 targets and 19 of his 45 catches came behind the line of scrimmage. More importantly, 38% of his receiving yards came on passes he caught behind the line of scrimmage.

That kind of production is unsustainable, so he will have to improve on the 52% catch rate and 5.8 yards per target he put up on passes thrown past the line last season if he is to meet his current draft value. He has the talent to do it and may show during the preseason he has acquired the receiving skill necessary to be a big-time fantasy player, but until then he is severely overvalued.

per Rotoworld

I like Patterson but I have to admit I don't understand league configurations where a guy like him would be taken in the 4th round. Where do those who think he is a 4th round pick rank him among WRs? Top 10? Teens? Low, mid or high 20s?
Each player doesn't have to have a hard-line expected output to be ranked in a certain spot.

It's not necessarily that people think Patterson WILL be a top 5 or top 10 wide receiver, it's that they think he CAN be a top 5 or top 10 wide receiver. Or, more specifically, that his chances of finishing in that range are high enough over his similarly ranked peers that it makes up for his equal or lower floor.

If people were expecting Patterson to be a top 5 WR, he'd be drafted a lot higher than the ~WR20 he's at right now. This is why I dislike projections. It breeds this kind of one dimensional thinking in fantasy owners. Rankings are essentially an unwritten balance of odds. Maybe someone believes that Roddy White has a 75% chance of finishing as a top 25 WR but only a 1% chance of finishing top 5 and a 3% chance of finishing top 10. Meanwhile, maybe they think Patterson has only a 65% chance of finishing top 25 (lower than White) but he has a 10% chance of finishing top 5 and a 20% chance of finishing top 10. That could lead them to value that player much higher than a guy like White even if his chances of finishing top 25 are lower in their minds.

It's exactly those kind of guys, the mid-round guys that blow up into true fantasy studs, that are the real difference makers in fantasy football. Patterson's climb up the ADP rankings involved mostly him leap-frogging guys that either don't have, or have a significantly lower chance of reaching that kind of upside. Meanwhile, his involvement in other aspects of the game besides receiving makes him unique in that it has the additional advantage of also raising his floor above what it typically would be for a boom or bust type wide receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each player doesn't have to have a hard-line expected output to be ranked in a certain spot.

It's not necessarily that people think Patterson WILL be a top 5 or top 10 wide receiver, it's that they think he CAN be a top 5 or top 10 wide receiver. Or, more specifically, that his chances of finishing in that range are high enough over his similarly ranked peers that it makes up for his equal or lower floor.

If people were expecting Patterson to be a top 5 WR, he'd be drafted a lot higher than the ~WR20 he's at right now. This is why I dislike projections. It breeds this kind of one dimensional thinking in fantasy owners. Rankings are essentially an unwritten balance of odds. Maybe someone believes that Roddy White has a 75% chance of finishing as a top 25 WR but only a 1% chance of finishing top 5 and a 3% chance of finishing top 10. Meanwhile, maybe they think Patterson has only a 65% chance of finishing top 25 (lower than White) but he has a 10% chance of finishing top 5 and a 20% chance of finishing top 10. That could lead them to value that player much higher than a guy like White even if his chances of finishing top 25 are lower in their minds.

It's exactly those kind of guys, the mid-round guys that blow up into true fantasy studs, that are the real difference makers in fantasy football. Patterson's climb up the ADP rankings involved mostly him leap-frogging guys that either don't have, or have a significantly lower chance of reaching that kind of upside. Meanwhile, his involvement in other aspects of the game besides receiving makes him unique in that it has the additional advantage of also raising his floor above what it typically would be for a boom or bust type wide receiver.
Thanks but that has little to do with my question. I take it from your response that Patterson is generally ranked in the early 20s and I stand by my original statement that I don't understand leagues where WR #20 is taken in the 4th round.

Thanks but that has little to do with my question. I take it from your response that Patterson is generally ranked in the early 20s and I stand by my original statement that I don't understand leagues where WR #20 is taken in the 4th round.
The first 4 rounds consists of 48 players. You figure 3 QBs (Peyton, Rodgers, Brees) and 2 TEs (Graham/Gronk) in that span, which leaves 43 spots for RBs and WRs. Some leagues may have an extra QB or two and maybe a 3rd TE go in there but either way you're talking about 40 RBs/WRs in the first 4 rounds of most leagues.

ETA: Fantasypros ADP has 5 QBs and 4 TEs in the first four rounds and still has WR20 at the end of the 4th round.

The first 4 rounds consists of 48 players. You figure 3 QBs (Peyton, Rodgers, Brees) and 2 TEs (Graham/Gronk) in that span, which leaves 43 spots for RBs and WRs. Some leagues may have an extra QB or two and maybe a 3rd TE go in there but either way you're talking about 40 RBs/WRs in the first 4 rounds of most leagues.

ETA: Fantasypros ADP has 5 QBs and 4 TEs in the first four rounds and still has WR20 (who happens to be Patterson) at the end of the 4th round. Given that I think most leagues will have fewer than 9 QB/TE taken in the first four rounds I think WR20 would pretty regularly be going somewhere in there.

ETA: Fantasypros ADP has 5 QBs and 4 TEs in the first four rounds and still has WR20 at the end of the 4th round.
I get that. I figured it applied to leagues that marginalize QBs and I don't understand those leagues.

If you put every NFL player back in the draft right now how many QBs do you think would be drafted before the 20th WR? I am guessing it would be a lot more than five.

I understand that people don't want to play in super flex leagues (or start 2 QB leagues) because it doesn't realistically reflect the NFL, but having only 4-5 QBs drafted before Cordarrelle Patterson is every bit as unrealistic. Being able to grab a Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Sam Bradford or Andy Dalton off of your waiver wire in week 8 is even more unrealistic.

QB is the most important player on the football field but the majority of fantasy leagues value Cordarrelle freaking Patterson over Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford. That is simply bizarre.

Neither here nor there, just bizarre.

I get that. I figured it applied to leagues that marginalize QBs and I don't understand those leagues.

If you put every NFL player back in the draft right now how many QBs do you think would be drafted before the 20th WR? I am guessing it would be a lot more than five.

I understand that people don't want to play in super flex leagues (or start 2 QB leagues) because it doesn't realistically reflect the NFL, but having only 4-5 QBs drafted before Cordarrelle Patterson is every bit as unrealistic. Being able to grab a Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Sam Bradford or Andy Dalton off of your waiver wire in week 8 is even more unrealistic.

QB is the most important player on the football field but the majority of fantasy leagues value Cordarrelle freaking Patterson over Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford. That is simply bizarre.

if they take qb with the first 12 picks in your league I guess you'd find it bizarre, but the rest of us might find your league bizarre.

if they take qb with the first 12 picks in your league I guess you'd find it bizarre, but the rest of us might find your league bizarre.
Well that doesn't happen (more like 4-5 QBs and by round 4, 12 teams, typically 16 QBs are off the board and only 11 WRs or so) but I understand the point you are trying to make.

Work the logic though does the argument that one QB is more realistic hold up when Cordarrelle Patterson is more valuable than Cam Newton and Joe Flacco is on the waiver wire?

It doesn't but you like it so have fun.

"I'm excited," Jennings added this week, via ESPN.com. "I told him this, and maybe it was a little premature, but I told him, 'At some point, I'm going to tell my kids I played with Cordarrelle Patterson.'"
This keeps sounding more and more like Marshall and Jeffery last year. I agree with the title too. I feel like there is no ceiling with Patterson. He's Percy Harvin mixed with an ideally sized #1 WR. His future and his legacy is all in his hands. If he becomes a student of the game and truly dedicates himself to being the best football player he can be, then he can be something great.

He already has all the things that can't be taught, now he just needs to learn the things that can be.

No one watched the Raiders game, huh? Good.
Why, was he terrible?
Targeted early and often, ran good routes, made good catches.

I'm guessing massraider is saying "good" as in it didn't bump his value too high for him to get him.
This
Yeah, didn't mean to sound as mysterious as that.

Tarell Brown was on him, a decent-to-good corner, and looked like a 9 year old hanging off his older brother.

Possibly still a good chance that he is overvalued in drafts, but it won't be for lack of looks. Appears as tho Jennings is just a skinny tight end at this point. He's solid, but isn't going to make any game-changing plays.

This is when preseason isn't useless. For the most part, it is useless. Doesn't matter. But when you see a guy make plays, and they are vs. the 1's, and are things that you don't see average players do, that's when it matters.

Patterson, to me, is why it's really important to put pre-draft 'common knowledge' in the rearview mirror once these guys hit the field. Looks like Patterson's lack of brains and COMPLETE INABILITY to run routes isn't going to stop him from being the focal point of an NFL team's passing game after one year.

Patterson's complete inability to run routes has been completely overblown. He's shown improvement in that area for 2 years now. His learning curve is on track or above pace.

So for redraft purposes, are CP nuthuggers prepared to pull the trigger in round 3, or hope he's there in the 4th (current ADP 47)?

Over the last three updates to FBGs ADP (July 30, Aug 5 & Aug 11) Patterson has gone from WR20 to WR19 to WR22 so I guess not too many people did watch the Raiders game.

Over the last three updates to FBGs ADP (July 30, Aug 5 & Aug 11) Patterson has gone from WR20 to WR19 to WR22 so I guess not too many people did watch the Raiders game.
I think the Raiders game was perfect for those of us that really want him but are skeptical of his ADP. He ran good routes and made contested "normal route" catches. These are the type of plays that people are worried about him being able to make. They aren't worried about his playmaking ability so it's good that he didn't make any crazy plays. If he makes crazy plays in the preseason then his ADP will rise. Him looking good running normal routes and catching 3-4 passes game will not raise his ADP, but for those of us who really want him, him doing that is justifying his ADP.

I was skeptical about his ADP before because I was worried he'd be hit or miss and being drafted that early, he's being drafted as an every week starter and he could cost you a lot of games. Him going out there and being a regular WR and running normal routes and doing well, but not doing anything spectacular and catching headlines is more than I could have asked for. I really wish he'd sit out the rest of the preseason now.

I'm picking at the 3/4 turn in one league and yes, I plan on taking him there at this point assuming I get at least one RB in the first 2 rounds.

footballcalculator has him has the 19th WR going off the board (towards end of 4th), essentially up a full round since June. To be honest, I still think that's damn good value and would have no problem buying there.

Phew! Cassel overthrew Patterson on a deep ball. 0 catches so far! Let's keep up the poor work and let's watch his ADP slide!

I took him at 4.1 in my main league last weekend and a few other owners seemed quite unhappy (they were probably targeting him mid or late fourth).

Fitz, AJ, and Cruz were still on the board, but Cordarrelle is who I wanted and I knew he would be long gone by my next pick.

I'm in a 14-team keeper league and have an opportunity to trade AJ Green and Keenan Allen, I would get DeMarco Murray, Patterson and Michael Floyd. I post this here as the basis of me wanting to make this trade involves my man-crush on CP and my not being interested in Allen. The only way to make this trade happen is to involve AJ Green, but I wonder if Patterson is going to live up to the hype that 'the machine' is generating for him or if he is over-hyped and I am overlooking Allen as a viable fantasy option going forward. CP looks to me to be a bigger, stronger and sturdier version of Harvin, and Harvin is still getting some hype thrown on him depsite his struggles in his career thus far. Thoughts?

I'm in a 14-team keeper league and have an opportunity to trade AJ Green and Keenan Allen, I would get DeMarco Murray, Patterson and Michael Floyd. I post this here as the basis of me wanting to make this trade involves my man-crush on CP and my not being interested in Allen. The only way to make this trade happen is to involve AJ Green, but I wonder if Patterson is going to live up to the hype that 'the machine' is generating for him or if he is over-hyped and I am overlooking Allen as a viable fantasy option going forward. CP looks to me to be a bigger, stronger and sturdier version of Harvin, and Harvin is still getting some hype thrown on him depsite his struggles in his career thus far. Thoughts?
I like it a lot, especially if you can get Dunbar to back up Murray to feel secure at that RB slot.

I really like all three of the guys you'd get. I'd take that deal.
I like it a lot, especially if you can get Dunbar to back up Murray to feel secure at that RB slot.
Thanks for the quick replies. I made the offer just now and it will be accepted later today. I have been wrestling with this trade for a couple weeks now; between the new offensive philosophy in Cincy and the fact Andy Dalton is going to be the starting QB for AJ for the next few years (at least) I feel like now is the time to move him and get somone with the upside of CP, especially since Allen's value last year was so TD related in some games. CP doesn't need an elite QB to make him elite while I think Allen needs good QB play + system to up his value. Like I said, the reason I posted this here was the whole idea of the trade was born out of my belief that CP is a top-level athlete that is fun to have on your team while Allen is just a guy.

Users who are viewing this thread