What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delanie Walker to the Titans is big (1 Viewer)

The Titans just signed Luke Stocker to a two year deal. I hope this doesn't mean they expect Walker to miss time with this ankle injury.
Nah for the 2nd TE spot-Jonnu hitting wall, Supernaw not blocking so well, had a great tryout, need blocking help

Walker just missed his second practice in a row--should we be worried, or is this just veteran rest for a guy that tweaked his ankle last week? I'm a tad bit worried. 

Walker just missed his second practice in a row--should we be worried, or is this just veteran rest for a guy that tweaked his ankle last week? I'm a tad bit worried.
I'm in a perpetual state of worry when it comes to Walker. Can he just go a game without injuring himself? But if he plays I have to imagine you start him. He must have a massive pain threshold because he's been able to perform well despite rather serious injuries in the past. 

Just a banged up veteran. I'm starting him in a playoff game and worried of Mathieu but not that Walker will play

last year of his contract.  look for j smith.next year.

5/6/2016: Signed a three-year, $19.075 million contract. The deal contains $8.2 million guaranteed. 2018: $5.4 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus, + $250,000 in per-game roster bonsues), 2019: Free Agent

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Delanie Walker has been diagnosed with a dislocated ankle along with a fracture and is "almost certainly" done for the season.

As expected. Walker had his ankle rolled up underneath a defender, bending it unnaturally, requiring an immediate air cast. Walker is a warrior but simply can't play through this one. Walker is signed through 2020 and will be 35 the next time he steps on the field. Jonnu Smith figures to take over at tight end for the Titans, but Corey Davis is going to gobble up pass-game targets.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Sep 9 - 9:47 PM

Davis was 6 of 12 or 6 of 13. I don't know that we can expect anymore targets than that for him. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms Delanie Walker is dealing with ligament damage in addition to a dislocated ankle and will miss the remainder of the season.

The Titans have since made it official. Walker will undergo surgery. Essentially, Walker wrecked his ankle. There's a lot of bad stuff going on in there. It's a brutal blow for the Titans, who must adapt to the loss of their No. 1 passing game weapon as they try to sort out the depth chart in their receiver corps. Promising second-year pro Jonnu Smith will step into Walker's void at tight end, offering immediate TE2 streamer appeal with the upside for more. Walker will be 35 when he's next on the field.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 10 - 2:06 PM

Speaking Tuesday, Delanie Walker (ankle) estimated that he is 85 percent healthy.

Walker has been participating in individual drills but sitting out team exercises. "Really not trying to do anything that’s too physical at the moment," Walker said. Walker has previously hedged on whether he will be full go for the beginning of camp. With a veteran like Walker, the goal is always Week 1, not summer practice.

SOURCE: Nashville Tennessean

May 21, 2019, 5:49 PM ET

He did take some team snaps but just a few. When he got done with the scripted lighter routine, he went and helped coach up the young WRs.

He is moving well in the videos of drills. No hitch in his gate or....he just looks like Delanie.

Delanie Walker (ankle) has been cleared for 7-on-7 drills at OTAs.

It's a good sign for Walker, who estimated he was 85 percent healthy earlier this month. Coming off a serious injury, expectations should be held in check for Walker as he enters his age-35 season. Third-year TE Jonnu Smith had a mini-breakout in place of Walker down the stretch.

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter

May 31, 2019, 6:22 PM ET

I don't believe Jonnu has practiced. Walker is better than most TEs and most TEs don't put up receiving stats people like in FF, so I don't get that comment above. At worst Walker is what? 7th? At best, he's higher. 

I don't believe Jonnu has practiced. Walker is better than most TEs and most TEs don't put up receiving stats people like in FF, so I don't get that comment above. At worst Walker is what? 7th? At best, he's higher. 
What does 7th mean?  

Do you think he's the 7th best fantasy tight end in redraft?

What does 7th mean?  

I think beyond the top 3 (4 if Ebron repeats), there is little separating the rest.  A crap shoot.

Then Engram, Njoku, Walker, Henry, Howard, Burton, McDonald... maybe even Hooper, Cook etc.  :shrug:

The QB sucks, but he sure as hell sees Walker when he is on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think beyond the top 3 (4 if Ebron repeats), there is little separating the rest.  A crap shoot.

Then Engram, Njoku, Walker, Henry, Howard, Burton, McDonald... maybe even Hooper, Cook etc.  :shrug:

The QB sucks, but he sure as hell sees Walker when he is on the field.
He did two years ago, sure. But since then they've changed coaches and offenses, Walker missed a whole year due to injury, he's 35, corey Davis isn't a rookie anymore, they added aj brown, the quarterback seems to have regressed, and Walker may be called on to block more as they build around the run. 

I guess i'd pretty much written him off as a te1 and had him in the witten/olsen/Watson tier of old guys who could spot start.   He did have 74/800 last time he played.  Only 3 touchdowns but still maybe i should give him another look. 

What does 7th mean?  

yep. His last four finishes are 7,5,5, and 8 so I think he's pretty safe to be that.

The videos from OTAs show the same ol Delanie in drills. He called himself 75 or 85 percent, but there's enough time. My concern's were his speed and mobility and he looks like himself so... 

Delanie Walker (ankle) does not know if he will open camp on the active/PUP list.

Walker did not participate during the offseason program as he continues to recover from the broken ankle he suffered in the season opener last year. If he ends up on the PUP, Walker can be activated at any point during camp, so it is not really that big of a deal. Still, his recovery has taken longer than expected.

SOURCE: MMQB

Jul 8, 2019, 10:10 AM ET

The Titans' official website expects Delanie Walker (ankle) to be ready for Week 1.

Walker recently expressed uncertainty about whether he would begin camp on the active/PUP list, but reserve/PUP to begin the year can be safely ruled out. Going on 35, the Titans have zero reason to rush Walker's recovery. It would not be surprising to see him sit out the entire preseason. Currently being drafted on the TE1/2 borderline, Walker is looking like a potential 2019 bargain.

SOURCE: titansonline.com

Jul 16, 2019, 2:04 PM ET

Delanie Walker participated, that reports NG. He didn't go 100 percent, but he was there for drills...anyone can see it on the Titans site.

Delanie Walker (knee) was absent from the portion of Titans practice open to the media on Thursday.

It's hard to know how serious this might be, as Walker is the kind of player who doesn't really need to practice to play. These could just be maintenance days by another name. Either way, back-to-back DNPs are worth taking notice of. Walker's Friday status will tell the tale.

SOURCE: John Glennon on Twitter

Sep 26, 2019, 1:42 PM ET

Delanie Walker snagged three catches for 43 yards on five targets Sunday in the Titans’ Week 6 loss to Denver.

Walker's two incompletions consisted of a botched third-down attempt from Marcus Mariota (he under-threw him) and a fourth-quarter pick by Ryan Tannehill. Needless to say, Tennessee's offense was not firing on all cylinders. Whether it's his age showing, poor quarterback play or some combination of the two, it's been slim pickings for the veteran through six weeks (21-215-2 on 30 targets). Walker will look for the antidote to his five-game touchdown drought when the Chargers visit in Week 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Delanie Walker did not practice Friday.

ESPN's Turron Davenport said it's "very likely" Walker still suits up on Sunday against the Chargers. This is likely just a veteran's day off, although it's worth checking inactive lists on Sunday to confirm Walker is playing. Walker will be on the TE1/2 borderline assuming he's ready.

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter

Oct 18, 2019, 1:45 PM ET

Delanie Walker (ankle) is questionable for Week 7 against the Chargers.

Walker was limited to open the week then missed Friday's practice. That's not a great sign for his status, but Walker has a history of playing through injuries. Still, it's very possible Ryan Tannehill will be without Walker in his first start. Jonnu Smith would be on the streaming radar if Walker sits.

Oct 18, 2019, 7:02 PM ET

Delanie Walker (ankle) is questionable to return in Week 7 against the Chargers.

The Titans' beat reporters downplayed Walker's ankle injury earlier in the week, but Walker was unable to make it an entire half before being looked at by trainers. The veteran tight end wasn't targeted in his limited snaps. Ryan Tannehill will be leaning on A.J. Brown, Corey Davis, and Adam Humphries while TE Jonnu Smith gets more run.

SOURCE: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter

Oct 20, 2019, 5:12 PM ET

Speaking Monday, Titans coach Mike Vrabel said he was "frustrated" for Delanie Walker (ankle), and that the team will take his Week 8 status day by day.

Vrabel said Walker tried to play through the issue that had been plaguing him heading into Sunday's game against the Chargers, but that he just could not operate effectively. "Hopefully we’ll get him in a position where he can help us," Vrabel said. "That’s what he/we want." It sounds like a rest week could be in order for the 35-year-old war horse, but that has never been Walker's style. Injured and ineffective for most of 2019, Walker is dropping out of the TE1 ranks. Jonnu Smith caught three balls for 64 yards in Walker's absence Sunday. Week 8 opponent Tampa Bay hemorrhages points up the seam.

SOURCE: Chris Harris on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 6:10 PM ET

Delanie Walker (ankle) is not practicing Wednesday.

As expected. Walker played just five snaps Week 7 before realizing he couldn't go any longer. A 35-year-old Walker at less than 100% is not an enticing fantasy option in a low-volume Titans passing attack despite the mouthwatering matchup with the Bucs. If Walker is ruled out, Jonnu Smith will have streamer appeal.

SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter

Oct 23, 2019, 1:08 PM ET

Delanie Walker (ankle) remained sidelined on Thursday.

35-year-old Walker is a warrior who has played through innumerable injuries, but coach Mike Vrabel hinted Monday that this would not be one of them. That's what Walker tried to do in Week 7 before lasting only a few snaps. If Walker indeed sits, Jonnu Smith will have legitimate TE2 appeal against the leaky Bucs.

Oct 24, 2019, 2:58 PM ET

So just how hurt is he?  They say he hurt the same ankle he broke last year, but not sure that really means it has anything to do with the previous injury

Turron Davenport @TDavenport_NFL

Vrabel says Delanie Walker (ankle) is progressing. Feels the time off last week was good for him. Projects being able to see what his status will be after today. Didn't seem optimistic that Walker will practice today for #Titans.

10:30 AM - Oct 30, 2019

Delanie Walker (ankle) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

With Walker essentially out the past two weeks, Jonnu Smith has exploded for 9/142/1 on 79.2 percent of Tennessee's offensive snaps, while Anthony Firsker's caught 4/70 on 40.8 percent of the team's snaps behind him. Walker's injury is expected to keep him sidelined for an extended period considering it was a re-aggravation, so fantasy players should keep Smith on standby as a streaming TE1 for a few more weeks.

Oct 30, 2019, 3:38 PM ET

Delanie Walker (ankle) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Walker hasn't played or practiced since injuring his ankle in Week 7. We'd consider him a long shot to suit up Sunday in Carolina. Jonnu Smith—the recipient of nine catches for 142 yards over the past two weeks—will remain an appealing streamer for the duration of Walker's absence.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Oct 31, 2019, 3:00 PM ET

Ruled out for Sunday 
Rotoworld:

Delanie Walker (ankle) has been ruled out for the Titans' Week 9 matchup against the Panthers.

Walker was out in Week 8 and doesn't seem to be anything close to 100% at the moment. Jonnu Smith caught 6-of-7 targets for 78 yards and a touchdown with a close to full-time 73% snap rate last week. He's not set up quite so well this week against the Panthers' stingy secondary compared to last week's smash spot against the Buccaneers, but it doesn't take many opportunities for the Titans' SPARQ-plug TE to create some big plays.

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter.

Nov 1, 2019, 3:43 PM ET

Delanie Walker said he feels "comfortable enough to practice" after shedding his walking boot Monday morning.

Walker said he's "making progress" but will listen to the coaches and trainers as he continues to work his way back. Third-year specimen Jonnu Smith has filled in admirably in the interim, recording a team-high 17 percent target share on 48 routes in Tennessee's last two games. Walker hasn't played or practiced since re-aggravating his ankle in Week 7 and isn't expected to suit up for Week 10, keeping Smith as a streaming TE1/2 for at least one more game.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Nov 4, 2019, 1:16 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread