What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB's to buy? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
The RB landscape is a sparse as I can ever recall. With a top 10 of McAffrey, Mostert, Williams, Achane, Bijan, Pollard, Monty, Brian Robinson, Swift and then Walker. Basically, 3 of the preseason top 10 are in the top 10. Eckler and Barkley hurt and certainly worth a buy but their owners are likely anxious for their return. Looking at the under performers and wanted to discuss RBs to buy:

- Henry - worth a shot but likely won't be cheap especially coming off a strong game
- Jacobs - would love to buy him but he's likely very expensive
- Etienne - don't know how much upside he has and he's performed ok so don't know how attainable he'd be. Jax offense hasn't been as good as I thought they'd be
- Mixon - with Burrow's injury, not interested
- Aaron Jones - he's one guy that's probably the top of my list. Dillon stinks and Jones was banged up, had a poor week this week and think a desperate owner might deal
- Harris - no real interest in him. Steelers are a mess
- Stevenson - he hasn't been good but I'd be a buyer and think he has upside
- Pierce - I'd like to buy if you can wait a bit but I think he'll get sorted and I like the direction of Houston's office
- Gibbs - I'd buy but you have to likely be patient.
- Taylor - I'd certainly buy if the owner is selling

No interest in Sanders, Conner, Herbert, White, Javonte. Thoughts? Who are you looking to buy?

Jones would be high on my list---> only worry is the OL is a damn mess. Bahktiari out for the year and Jenkins with an MCL issue. Without those two, they are really bad up front.

Jones would be high on my list---> only worry is the OL is a damn mess. Bahktiari out for the year and Jenkins with an MCL issue. Without those two, they are really bad up front.
yeah, and unlike when he was young I question whether he can perform behind a line that is not performing.
if you can get him on the cheap I'm sure he will be a reasonable add. but if you have to pay the price of a RB1 I wouldnt do it.

I will assume you are talking in redraft. Your best hope is to get ahead of an injury so look at the handcuffs. You can do some situation gambles like Indy and hope that a potential return of Jonthan Taylor keeps the Moss value down or gamble on something like Roschon Johnson emerges in Chicago and you can get him cheaper than his value at present. If you need a RB you might just have to pay. If you are speculating you have to identify an injury handcuff or a situation where you think a starter may lose his job or timeshare to a backup.

I will assume you are talking in redraft. Your best hope is to get ahead of an injury so look at the handcuffs. You can do some situation gambles like Indy and hope that a potential return of Jonthan Taylor keeps the Moss value down or gamble on something like Roschon Johnson emerges in Chicago and you can get him cheaper than his value at present. If you need a RB you might just have to pay. If you are speculating you have to identify an injury handcuff or a situation where you think a starter may lose his job or timeshare to a backup.
sorry, correct...talking redraft. Ya, benches are full of lottery tickets like Warren, Charbonet, Roshon, Spears, Gainwell but looking for the more solid, established guys that haven't performed but may turn things around due to schedule, line, etc..

* Gibbs - Think come playoff time he's big. Monty gets banged up too. Especially if they keep pounding him.
* R. Stevenson -- About as low as it can go right now. Although could go lower facing NO next week.
* Mixon -- Offense can't be this bad?
* J. Taylor - if the news emerges he aint hitting the field anytime soon.
* B. Hall -- Now is the time. Offense looks like it could be coming around.

* Gibbs - Think come playoff time he's big. Monty gets banged up too. Especially if they keep pounding him.
* R. Stevenson -- About as low as it can go right now. Although could go lower facing NO next week.
Breece is a good one. Not sure about Mixon. Didn't love him on a good offense and much less so now that the engine of the offense is working on 2 cylinders.

I wasn't really impressed w Mclaughlin game tape, but he will be the hot waiver wire addition. Cam Akers might be worth a flyer and wouldnt cost much

IF what news emerges about Taylor? That's the point, it's IF and that means you may be able to get him at a significant discount if the owner is into IF speculation like you are.

What about Pacheco? He had a fantastic game yesterday but a owner out there may still not value him correctly and you can get him thrown in as a piece in a trade.

IF what news emerges about Taylor? That's the point, it's IF and that means you may be able to get him at a significant discount if the owner is into IF speculation like you are.

What about Pacheco? He had a fantastic game yesterday but a owner out there may still not value him correctly and you can get him thrown in as a piece in a trade.
Re: Pacheco

That would be buying high coming off a career-best performance, unless you feel that volume is sustainable and want to get him before he becomes unaffordable. As someone who is a fan of Pacheco, I’m not confident what we saw last night is indicative of what we can expect regularly. If you can get him at an affordable price though then absolutely.

That would be buying high coming off a career-best performance, unless you feel that volume is sustainable and want to get him before he becomes unaffordable. As someone who is a fan of Pacheco, I’m not confident what we saw last night is indicative of what we can expect regularly. If you can get him at an affordable price though then absolutely.
Yeah the time to have bought him was super low was prior to yesterday.

But it looks like he now has a lock on that backfield. I haven't looked at what the snap share was but it looked to be pretty high so I think the volume will favor him going forward by a wide margin.

But it looks like he now has a lock on that backfield. I haven't looked at what the snap share was but it looked to be pretty high so I think the volume will favor him going forward by a wide margin.
One thing to note was that the Jets have the best pass defense in the league and it was a homecoming for Pacheco, so I think those two things factored in to his heavier than usual workload. I still think McKinnon and MEH will get their share, but the performance was encouraging enough that Pacheco can perhaps be trusted to have a bigger slice of that pie moving forward. A fantasy RB2 with potential for some fantasy RB1 weeks. I’m on board.

Welp, apparently Taylor plans on practicing Wed. Consider the buy low window closed.

I don't have snap share #s, but just looking amongst their RBs:

Attempts amongst RBs:

Week 1: 8/14 (56%)
Week 2: 12/14 (86%)
Week 3: 15/32 (47%) note that this was an early blowout against CHI
Week 4: 20/26 (77%)

Seems to have a firm grasp of the backfield work at this point. He also shares the lead work as a receiver out of the backfield equally with McKinnon, both garnering about 3 targets/game.

The RB landscape is a sparse as I can ever recall. With a top 10 of McAffrey, Mostert, Williams, Achane, Bijan, Pollard, Monty, Brian Robinson, Swift and then Walker. Basically, 3 of the preseason top 10 are in the top 10. Eckler and Barkley hurt and certainly worth a buy but their owners are likely anxious for their return. Looking at the under performers and wanted to discuss RBs to buy:

- Henry - worth a shot but likely won't be cheap especially coming off a strong game
- Jacobs - would love to buy him but he's likely very expensive
- Etienne - don't know how much upside he has and he's performed ok so don't know how attainable he'd be. Jax offense hasn't been as good as I thought they'd be
- Mixon - with Burrow's injury, not interested
- Aaron Jones - he's one guy that's probably the top of my list. Dillon stinks and Jones was banged up, had a poor week this week and think a desperate owner might deal
- Harris - no real interest in him. Steelers are a mess
- Stevenson - he hasn't been good but I'd be a buyer and think he has upside
- Pierce - I'd like to buy if you can wait a bit but I think he'll get sorted and I like the direction of Houston's office
- Gibbs - I'd buy but you have to likely be patient.
- Taylor - I'd certainly buy if the owner is selling

No interest in Sanders, Conner, Herbert, White, Javonte.
i would be interested in Conner. Has the backfield to himself and has looked good running the ball so far. Even against the SF D yesterday, he was effective, over 5 YPC. Just didn't get the volume because they were behind a couple TDs most of the game. Only concern so far is lack of receptions. Only 8 so far, but if you can get him cheap, would be a good pick-up

Breece is a good one. Not sure about Mixon. Didn't love him on a good offense and much less so now that the engine of the offense is working on 2 cylinders.
What's not to like about Mixon? He basically has the CIN backfield to himself, and is a perennial RB1. He has averaged 19 touches for his career, and obviously the Bengals like him. If you are worried about Burrow, just know he was already a RB1 with the likes of Andy Dalton, Jeff Driskel, Ryan Finley, and Brandon Allen. The only thing to possibly consider is mileage, but he's only 27, and younger than guys like CMC, Ekeler, Aaron Jones, Chubb, Kamara, and even Dare Ogunbowale.

One thing to note was that the Jets have the best pass defense in the league and it was a homecoming for Pacheco, so I think those two things factored in to his heavier than usual workload. I still think McKinnon and MEH will get their share, but the performance was encouraging enough that Pacheco can perhaps be trusted to have a bigger slice of that pie moving forward. A fantasy RB2 with potential for some fantasy RB1 weeks. I’m on board.
Pun?

Pun?
It was intentional since CEH is very "meh".

I don't have snap share #s, but just looking amongst their RBs:

Attempts amongst RBs:

Week 1: 8/14 (56%)
Week 2: 12/14 (86%)
Week 3: 15/32 (47%) note that this was an early blowout against CHI
Week 4: 20/26 (77%)

Seems to have a firm grasp of the backfield work at this point. He also shares the lead work as a receiver out of the backfield equally with McKinnon, both garnering about 3 targets/game.
Week 4: Pacheco 60%, Mckinnon 31%, CEH 9%
Week 3: Pacheco 42%, Mckinnon 29%, CEH 30%
Week 2: Pacheco 51%, Mckinnon 33%, CEH 16%
Week 1: Pacheco 48%, Mckinnon 31%, CEH 22%

If I've got depth I want to sell guys who are doing pretty well right now (or guys who are underperforming and i don't trust them) for guys like mixon that suck right now but through no fault of their own. Especially if they're not getting many touches yet. When/if things eventually turn around, those guys can go off.

If I'm 4-0 or 3-1 i want to hold off on trades until I get through the byes or preferably until the deadline to make my big 2 for 1 kind of move. Why put all my eggs in one basket if I'm already winning?

If I'm 2-2 I'm looking to add upside. I'm hesitant to sell off my core guys until i know which way things are going.

If I'm 0-4 or 1-3 I am selling name brand guys who are underperforming for guys who are scoring right now. Selling Burrow for stroud, Chase for a package of guys like puka and Zach moss, or Barkley for guys that are playing now. It sucks but I'm not going to win if I start 1-5 so I need to take chances.

Welp, apparently Taylor plans on practicing Wed. Consider the buy low window closed.
Was never open, guys who've been holding weren't going to move him

Believe me, I tried

I wasn't really impressed w Mclaughlin game tape, but he will be the hot waiver wire addition. Cam Akers might be worth a flyer and wouldnt cost much
He’s probably not saving your season, but he can get you thru bye weeks at the right price. Playing a real D after the Bears is always a concern.

REDRAFT: Considering making an offer for Mixon. Right now his schedule is shaping up pretty well. He'd be expensive but I don't think his price will get any lower and I think there is a high ceiling for the Bengals improving as a team as the season goes on.

REDRAFT: Considering making an offer for Mixon. Right now his schedule is shaping up pretty well. He'd be expensive but I don't think his price will get any lower and I think there is a high ceiling for the Bengals improving as a team as the season goes on.

I suffered every week with him last year. Never again.

I agree that Joe Mixon looks like a good buy target right now.

All of his metrics, opportunities and efficiency are significantly lower than his career averages.

While I suspect 2021 will end up being a career year for him and I would not expect that level of performance, I do think his numbers should return to somewhere near his career average by the end of the season.

All of his metrics, opportunities and efficiency are significantly lower than his career averages.

While I suspect 2021 will end up being a career year for him and I would not expect that level of performance, I do think his numbers should return to somewhere near his career average by the end of the season.
but don't you think that's related to the ineffectiveness of the offense? Is there hope / any indication that something may change that's going to turn it around? I don't see it...Burrow is playing injured and not looking good and now Higgins is likely down for a few weeks. He's not the type of RB that is going to create on his own...he's a beneficiary of playing on a good offense.

I am keeping on eye on Keaton Mitchell (RB-BAL). He is eligible to come off of IR this week. I can keep him on my IR as long as I do not change my line-up. Ideally he is added to the roster this week and he gets some run against a terrible Steelers team.

What's to like
  • 4.3 40 yard dash
  • 38" vertical
  • 0 college fumbles on 462 college carries, and 2 total fumbles on 523 total touches
  • 6.5 yards/carries in 33 college games
  • Very little elite talent between him and meaningful touches in the NFL
What's not to like
  • 179 pounds
Fun Fact
His father, Anthony, was on the Ravens' team that won Super Bowl XXXV

but don't you think that's related to the ineffectiveness of the offense? Is there hope / any indication that something may change that's going to turn it around? I don't see it...Burrow is playing injured and not looking good and now Higgins is likely down for a few weeks. He's not the type of RB that is going to create on his own...he's a beneficiary of playing on a good offense.
Mixon has been efficient with a nonexistant passing game and terrible game scripts. They just played a dominant rush D on the road and he was over 5 ypc in the first half with no help.

Like you said Burrow is hurt and they're at rock bottom. This game is about forecasting - Mixon is a guy who should outperform his current performance as Burrow gets healthier and they figure things out against weaker defenses.

I was somehow able to trade DJ Moore/Dotson for A Jones/Garrett Wilson in a competitive league if that goes to show you how disgruntled Jones owners might be.

Mixon has been efficient with a nonexistant passing game and terrible game scripts. They just played a dominant rush D on the road and he was over 5 ypc in the first half with no help.

Like you said Burrow is hurt and they're at rock bottom. This game is about forecasting - Mixon is a guy who should outperform his current performance as Burrow gets healthier and they figure things out against weaker defenses.
Agreed. Having Burrow under center is the reason for optimism. He's stinking it up but I have difficulty believing this is who he is going to be RoS. Mixon won't be the 2021 version of himself but if he can be the 90 y/g version of himself he was last season he could be worth it.

Saquon might be worth kicking the tires on. Injured and a struggling offense but should be back soon. I don't feel good about it but his value would probably be at a low point.

I do think its related to the overall offense. The Bengals yards per play is significantly down from what is has been is years past, and I think part of that is Burrow playing hurt, part of it is they have had some difficult match ups as well.

As far as hope? Well the Benglas have their bye in 3 weeks and that may give them time to get healthy.

They do still have some difficult match ups ahead, the 49ers after the bye and then the Bills may be games where Mixon might not be a player you feel great about starting.

What I see is that Mixons opportunities per game are lower than his career averages have been though, particularly as a receiver and I would expext those opportunities to go up. Higgins being out is another thing that may cause them to use Mixon more.

The Bengals plays per game is still in line with previous numbers its the yards per play that are down right now. But not for Mixon.

What Mixon can do is somewhat independent of what the overall offense is doing I think, not neccessarily a product of it. Mixons touches are down not his yards per touch. The solution for the Bengals may be to lean on Mixon more until Burrow can get right again.

Agreed. Having Burrow under center is the reason for optimism. He's stinking it up but I have difficulty believing this is who he is going to be RoS. Mixon won't be the 2021 version of himself but if he can be the 90 y/g version of himself he was last season he could be worth it.
Right. Thats what I see too is that Mixon had a lot of receptions last season and his targets thus far have been low.

I think those targets will go up even if the team continues to struggle as a whole. As a product of negative game scripts.

McLaughlin is polarizing. Lot of people just don't believe. For whatever it's worth, on this weeks FBG Waiver Wire show, Broncos Guy Cecil Lammey said if he had only one spot he'd rather have McLaughlin on his roster ROS over Javonte. Thought that was interesting although Williams hasn't exactly been tearing it up.

After taking the time to watch the Steelers game replay (it was painful), I made a trade for Najee to stash. Virtually free (Mims and Kyler in redraft). Guy ran really hard and broke a lot of tackles. 4.3 YPC this year, which isn't bad considering the blocking is awful and the QB play sucks. Hopefully the offense will actually get near to end zone soon and he can get a couple short ones.

Not expecting a lot but maybe he can repeat last years end of year production and volume his way to fantasy relevance. Warren getting the passing game touches but other than week 3, not doing much with them. Maybe that changes a bit too.

McLaughlin is polarizing. Lot of people just don't believe. For whatever it's worth, on this weeks FBG Waiver Wire show, Broncos Guy Cecil Lammey said if he had only one spot he'd rather have McLaughlin on his roster ROS over Javonte. Thought that was interesting although Williams hasn't exactly been tearing it up.
Cecil is the Broncos beat equivalent of Skip Bayless, just not as big of an ***. Makes wild *** predictions just to get a reaction. He's wrong more than he's right in regards to the Broncos because many of his predictions are so over the top. Remember when Cecil wanted everyone to believe Paxton Lynch was the second coming?

Javonte is the unquestioned #1 here, if healthy. The health part is still up in the air, and JM may be an easy choice over Perine at this point but not Javonte. Sorry to be the wet blanket on this one. JM is a guy that needs to be rostered, but backed in a corner with Javonte on your roster and JM available on the WW? No one else to drop? You'd be crazy to let JW go.

Cecil is the Broncos beat equivalent of Skip Bayless, just not as big of an ***. Makes wild *** predictions just to get a reaction. He's wrong more than he's right in regards to the Broncos because many of his predictions are so over the top. Remember when Cecil wanted everyone to believe Paxton Lynch was the second coming?

Javonte is the unquestioned #1 here, if healthy. The health part is still up in the air, and JM may be an easy choice over Perine at this point but not Javonte. Sorry to be the wet blanket on this one. JM is a guy that needs to be rostered, but backed in a corner with Javonte on your roster and JM available on the WW? No one else to drop? You'd be crazy to let JW go.
I don't think he was insinuating to drop Williams, just that he isn't really sure about his health ROS and from what he's seen of both in practice he'd rather roster Jaleel. Don't know about all that other stuff but he's obviously seen way more of both RBs in practice than me. Just thought it was interesting, that's all. Especially since there are probably a lot of people who wouldn't waste a bid on Jaleel but would probably empty their clip if Williams was somehow on the ww. I've got both and have only gotten 4 sub 10 pt weeks from Williams and would like to see what Jaleel could do with the same usage at some point.

I don't know about Mixon, he's pretty pedestrian on a good day. this offense isnt turning it around this season.

Chuba Hubbard
J. Warren
Gainwell
J. Ford is going to pop-off soon, once Watson comes back.

I don't think he was insinuating to drop Williams, just that he isn't really sure about his health ROS and from what he's seen of both in practice he'd rather roster Jaleel. Don't know about all that other stuff but he's obviously seen way more of both RBs in practice than me. Just thought it was interesting, that's all. Especially since there are probably a lot of people who wouldn't waste a bid on Jaleel but would probably empty their clip if Williams was somehow on the ww. I've got both and have only gotten 4 sub 10 pt weeks from Williams and would like to see what Jaleel could do with the same usage at some point.
Based on your post Cecil said he'd rather roster Jaleel over Javonte if he only had one roster spot.

I'm not an insider but I do have direct and indirect connections inside the organization and not at a low level. Javonte is the guy. The knee injury and continued rehab to 100% is playing a roll in all of this.

That said they do also love Jaleel and the energy, attitude and work ethic he brings. In a perfect world both will get plenty of work, and both will be valuable to the Broncos and your fantasy team. If Jaleel were a bit more physical, I could see him in a Kamara roll, but he's not. I put his ceiling somewhere between Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles. Not half bad. He should be rostered in every league.

Users who are viewing this thread