What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delanie Walker to the Titans is big (2 Viewers)

Delanie Walker (ankle) remained sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Walker shed his walking boot on Monday but isn't expected to be ready for Week 10 against the Chiefs. Jonnu Smith has filled in admirably in the interim, recording a team-high 17 percent target share ahead of Anthony Firsker. Smith remains an intriguing streaming TE1/2 for at least one more game while Walker's sidelined.

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter

Nov 6, 2019, 3:05 PM ET

Delanie Walker (ankle) won't suit up Sunday against the Chiefs.

Jonnu Smith remains a perfectly fine low-end TE1 option with Walker sidelined. The Titans' backup TE has posted 3-64-0, 6-78-1 and 3-18-0 lines over the past three weeks with a near every-down role. Still, the eventual return of Walker would likely result in each player receiving limited snaps. Smith does have a tough matchup this week against the Chiefs' fifth-ranked defense in DVOA against the TE position.

SOURCE: Herbie Teope on Twitter.

Nov 8, 2019, 3:46 PM ET

I've been holding D Walker for a bye week which has arrived. I'm leaning toward dropping him for a likely lesser option rather than risk a zero.  I was "sure" he'd be back by now, and yet here we are. Anyone have info as to whether he is likely to play this week? 

I've been holding D Walker for a bye week which has arrived. I'm leaning toward dropping him for a likely lesser option rather than risk a zero.  I was "sure" he'd be back by now, and yet here we are. Anyone have info as to whether he is likely to play this week? 
I'd say likely but not certain. Also that Jonnu has surpassed him so get someone else

Delanie Walker (ankle) returned to practice Wednesday.

"I will use the word excited," Walker said. "I am excited with the progress, and we’ll see what happens." Walker was wearing a knee brace earlier in the week but had ditched it by Wednesday for practice. His return to the field would obviously hinder Jonnu Smith's streaming viability since the latter's led the Titans in targets (20) in a full-time role over their last three games.

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter

Nov 20, 2019, 3:03 PM ET

Doubtful for week 12 per Jim Wyatt

Rotoworld take:

Coach Mike Vrabel said the team is hopeful Delanie Walker (ankle, doubtful) will suit up Sunday against the Jaguars.

Vrabel added, "He’s better than he was but still being monitored." Walker practiced in a limited fashion all week, but was given a doubtful game designation. Jonnu Smith worked as the PPR TE8 in Weeks 7-10 with Walker sidelined. Continue to treat the SPARQ-plug TE as a low-end TE1 if Walker is inactive, while the return of the offense's 35-year-old TE would likely result in a committee of sorts and render each as non-viable fantasy options.

SOURCE: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 1:22 PM ET

There are hypocritical reports on Delanie. The videos posted show him seeming relatively confident.

Several have said Blasingame is not quite ready so Jonnu back to receiving TE might not happen just yet. It seems like Firkser and Jonnu sharing the role again.

Jonnu has several carries and an oddly high number of penalties per run so it's not necessarily in the stat sheet. There's something about how the D reacts that they feed off of. After a Jonnu run, there is usually a good drive and/or a big play.  It's kind of interesting how that's worked out.

Delanie talked to the press ALOT when they were losing and was critical. Titans fans in other boards recognized it and said uh oh.

After the game last week, Vrabel said they chose to make the just signed FB (Blasingame) active over Delanie. He didn't say he was out hurt as expected.

Now he's put onto IR 

Pretty sure he's gone after this year now.

He's still got some ability and all. He'll play elsewhere. 

ETA Twitter video of Delanie wearing ankle brace and dancing just adds to the hmmm here. No one with a hurt ankle can jump and spin like that

Last edited by a moderator:
Delanie chasing a little kid pregame couldn't look any more healthy. That kid had moves btw. This was all Vrabel. I asked a friend why he wouldn't complain to NFLPA and was told no one would sign him if he did that at his age.  Could he at least take off the immobilizer thing? He's gonna actually get hurt running around with that thing on 

Titans released TE Delanie Walker.

Tennessee will save $6.4 million against the cap by releasing their veteran tight end. Walker has played good football well into his 30s but father time has been catching up to him in recent years. Over the last two seasons, he has only played one and seven games, which allowed Jonnu Smith to flash potential as his replacement. Walker will likely either look to sign on a competing team or head into retirement.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 13, 2020, 2:40 PM ET

ESPN's John Keim reports the Redskins, Colts, and Packers have interest in free agent TE Delanie Walker.

It's unclear how much interest each team has, but Walker should get low-end starter money as a savvy veteran. The issue, of course, is his age (35) and his recent injury history. Over the last two seasons, Walker has only suited up for eight games. Then again, that does make him a perfect fit to replace Jordan Reed in Washington.

RELATED: 

Green Bay Packers

, Tennessee Titans

, Indianapolis Colts

, Washington Redskins

SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter

Mar 18, 2020, 1:27 PM ET

Bump for Pats interest news
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Patriots have interest in free agent Delanie Walker.

Walker has been training for the season and expects to sign with a team. The Patriots lost Matt LaCosse to an opt out, leaving a potential roster spot for him. Walker is 35 and rarely healthy but he's productive when on the field. The Redskins and Packers have also been linked to Walker.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Aug 3, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

Free agent TE Delanie Walker wants to play in 2021.

Walker, 36 in August, took last season off due to COVID and to get back to full health after missing 24-of-32 games the previous two years thanks to injuries. Last offseason, he drew lukewarm interest from the Patriots, Colts, Packers, and Washington. It's unclear just how much left he has to offer.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 3, 2021, 2:41 PM ET

DELANIE WALKER TE, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports free agent TE Delanie Walker will work out for the 49ers on Wednesday.

Walker took the 2020 season off due to COVID concerns and will be 37 years old by the time he takes the field for San Francisco should they sign him. He was only healthy for eight games in his final two seasons with the Titans. Walker is facing an uphill battle to return from football but if he can regain his form from the start of his tenure in Tennessee, he'll be a valuable addition for the 49ers. He recorded four consecutive 800-yard seasons from 2014 to 2017. Walker would back up George Kittle but could also see a modest amount of work in 2TE sets. 

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jun 1, 2021, 3:19 PM ET

I came into this thread thinking it was his retirement announcement.  I wonder if some rumblings came out about him retiring and that was why I had that preconceived notion.

I too thought this was a retirement announcement news bulletin.

I watched Walker all the way back to his early SF days.

I always kind of got the feeling he was one of those "very solid" NFL players who never really quite got the big role.  There was often a "more popular target" in front of Walker on the teams he played for.

If he really is in good shape (thats a big IF) , then you think some team will take a chance on him when the need arises.  He might not be the player he once was, but perhaps he can contribute to an NFL team. 

That aside, I don't see him ever being truly fantasy relevant again.......... (Even though I'd like to see it)

TZM

Saw this in a FF e-mail today. I won't list the site because I think this is terrible:

No. This is awful. Delanie Walker is no scrub.

While the 49ers waited for Vernon Davis to mature, Walker was the more polished receiver - even as a rookie. The facile argument is that Walker is a step down from Cook because Cook is more talented. I think Walker steps right in as a solid sleeper TE in a position that was very weak in 2012.

From ProFootballWeekly.com:
This guy nailed from the beginning.  The following posts after this one hammered him for it, too. Is this guy still around? 

flapgreen said:
This guy nailed from the beginning.  The following posts after this one hammered him for it, too. Is this guy still around? 
A former scout told me Walker was a solid player, so I believed him. When Walker and Vernon Davis were on the 49ers, this scout said that Walker was the superior player despite Davis' pedigree.

A former scout told me Walker was a solid player, so I believed him. When Walker and Vernon Davis were on the 49ers, this scout said that Walker was the superior player despite Davis' pedigree.
Got any sleeper picks this year on someones roster like Walker from 7 years ago?

Got any sleeper picks this year on someones roster like Walker from 7 years ago?
I hit my former scout buddy up, and here's his list of players he's targeting this year:

Gerald Everett, JaMarr Chase, Mike Davis, Chuba Hubbard, Brandon Aiyuk, Rashod Bateman, Desean Jackson, Chase Edmonds, Kenneth Gainwell, Antonio Gibson, Damien Williams, TJ Hockenson, D’andre Swift, Kylin Hill, Irv Smith, Mike Davis, Adam Trautman, Jaelon Darden, Larry Rountree, Henry Ruggs, Clyde Edwards Helaire, Jerry Jeudy, Albert Okwuegbunam, Laviska Chennault, Najee Harris, Anthony McPharland, Tee Higgins, Kendrick Bourne, Rhamondre Stevenson, Trey Sermon.

Saw this in a FF e-mail today. I won't list the site because I think this is terrible:

The Titans have signed TE Delanie Walker to a 4-year deal. We've always been intrigued by Walker's ability, but he's been stuck behind Vernon Davis in San Fran. He'll step in as the starting TE in Tennessee. Walker isn't as talented as Cook, though, who could never emerge as a consistent fantasy option with the Titans. That makes it tough to get excited about Walker's outlook.
No. This is awful. Delanie Walker is no scrub. While the 49ers waited for Vernon Davis to mature, Walker was the more polished receiver - even as a rookie. The facile argument is that Walker is a step down from Cook because Cook is more talented. I think Walker steps right in as a solid sleeper TE in a position that was very weak in 2012.

From ProFootballWeekly.com:

Very well-sculpted with thick musculature. Looks every bit the part — likes the weight room and it shows. Tough and fearless entering traffic. Strong on contact and can maintain balance after the catch and power through arm tackles. Highly competitive with the ball in his hands and does not go down easy. Strong red-zone target. Excellent speed for his size (converted college receiver) — can stretch the seam and beat man coverage. Can swing his hips and seal edges. Functional base blocker in pass protection. Extremely versatile — has lined up at TE, WR, RB, FB, H-back and OLT positions and has handled a variety of assignments, including as a kickoff returner. Very hardworking and committed.
This guy crushed it way back

Users who are viewing this thread