What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris, why is he rated so low (1 Viewer)

Ugh. Just went against my own better judgement and took this guy in round 5 as my RB2. My league goes RB extremely heavy, and I was picking near the end of the round (pick 10 of 12 to be exact) and took the first non-RB off the board. The downside of grabbing Antonio Brown and Julio Jones as your first 2 picks is that you are often looking at guys like Alfred Morris when RBs keep getting picked.

So, here's the deal. I know the Redskins team as a whole is a dumpster fire. I know they drafted Matt Jones, who looks promising. I've read a lot of doom and gloom articles about avoiding Alfred Morris at all costs. But FBGs still rate him in the decent RB2 range. Is here ANY hope for this guy?

I'm sitting him week 1 vs Miami. They are going to get crushed and will be playing from behind. Expect a lot of Jones in this game.

Ugh. Just went against my own better judgement and took this guy in round 5 as my RB2. My league goes RB extremely heavy, and I was picking near the end of the round (pick 10 of 12 to be exact) and took the first non-RB off the board. The downside of grabbing Antonio Brown and Julio Jones as your first 2 picks is that you are often looking at guys like Alfred Morris when RBs keep getting picked.

So, here's the deal. I know the Redskins team as a whole is a dumpster fire. I know they drafted Matt Jones, who looks promising. I've read a lot of doom and gloom articles about avoiding Alfred Morris at all costs. But FBGs still rate him in the decent RB2 range. Is here ANY hope for this guy?
His first season hasn't even started yet, and Jones is getting held out of a week of practice and a preseason game for a knee issue.Morris is still young, in a contract year, and has shown he can stand up to the pounding of the NFL in a way few backs have. Only Lynch has more carries since he entered the league.

I consider Morris a low-end 2 or high-end 3 with huge upside possibilities.

I drafted Alf in the 5th round too.

The Matt Jones hype and RG3 soap opera has cast a lot if negative light on Alf, but there are some positive points.

Moses is starting at RT and they drafted a road grader at RG

BillCallahan came over from the Cowboys and is now the Oline coach

Alf plays 16 every year he's been in the league

Jones has a lot off hype but he's also had surgeries on the same knee in consecutive years and they're aleady managing his practice time.

Second full year in Grudens power scheme.

Despite the horrendous record and drama last year, Alf still finished RB14

I could have gotten Martin or Ivory at this spot, but I feel Alf may have a lower ceiling but a much higher floor than other RB in that slot.

Definitely not a sexy pick, but Alf suits up every game.

Took him in the mid 4th.....randle, jstew, gordon, yeldon all went soon after. I kinda wish I woulda went randle, but like alf more than the others

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know what kind of leagues you guys are in where Morris goes in the 5th round, let alone saying you took him at that point with hesitation
Agreed. Drafting at the turn in a 12-team PPR and took him at 5.12 with absolutely zero hesitation. The negative buzz surrounding him has gotten so prevalent its almost comical.

I dont know what kind of leagues you guys are in where Morris goes in the 5th round, let alone saying you took him at that point with hesitation
Wel, obviously it is happening. I didn't expect him there. Perhaps, instead of shooting off some empty comment insinuating you/your league is so much better than everyone else, you can provide something constructive? The "your league must suck" chest-puffing that people feel the need to write on these boards is absolutely the worst.Back to the subject at hand, I am certain the negative buzz surrounding the Redskins is the cause of Morris' ADP fall. The hot mess at QB and the third round rookie are factors. People read articles like this:

http://www.si.com/fantasy/2015/09/04/fantasy-football-2015-draft-preview-adp-watch-carlos-hyde-deandre-hopkins

...and decide to take the advice and stay away. The question isn't "why do you play in a league that is so bad that Morris drops to the fifth round?", it is "is Morris suddenly providing value at the point he is now going in drafts?"

Wel, obviously it is happening. I didn't expect him there. Perhaps, instead of shooting off some empty comment insinuating you/your league is so much better than everyone else, you can provide something constructive? The "your league must suck" chest-puffing that people feel the need to write on these boards is absolutely the worst.Back to the subject at hand, I am certain the negative buzz surrounding the Redskins is the cause of Morris' ADP fall. The hot mess at QB and the third round rookie are factors. People read articles like this:

http://www.si.com/fantasy/2015/09/04/fantasy-football-2015-draft-preview-adp-watch-carlos-hyde-deandre-hopkins

...and decide to take the advice and stay away. The question isn't "why do you play in a league that is so bad that Morris drops to the fifth round?", it is "is Morris suddenly providing value at the point he is now going in drafts?"
Dont see anywhere in my post saying my league is better, your league sucks, etc. I just find it hard to believe when Morris' avg ADP according to FBGs as of Sept 1st is 32, he is falling to the 5th rd. Now if you are in a 10 team (or smaller) PPR league I could see Morris falling to the 5th rd, but only in that format. Which it would appear yourself and dwashington are not in. In the 11 drafts standard scoring, 12 team Ive done over the past couple weeks, he went in the 3rd round 9 times, 2nd round 2 times. Hence why I said, I dont know what kind of leagues you guys are in where he goes in the 5th round.

There was plenty of negative buzz and question marks surrounding the Skins last year too, and they mostly came to fruition yet Alf still ended up RB13. He should remain a solid RB2 this year as well, albeit one with a capped ceiling as the offense likely ends up in the bottom 1/3rd of the NFL again. Of course he is a value in the 5th, yet you "went against your own better judgment when you took (Morris) in round 5 as your RB2" :rolleyes:

I'm in a 12 team standard and this is our 15th year, most of us went to jr and at high school together, so it's pretty competitive.

This year was kinda weird, 7 QB's went in the first 4 rounds and Brees fell to the 7th round.

We just drafted last Saturday and there is so much negative buzz around the Redskins that most guys passed on Morris.

For ADP discussion value, I took Morris at 6.3 in a 12 team ppr league over the weekend. I went with a zero RB strategy at got him as my RB 1. Starting lineups are traditional but 3 WR requirement.

I love this guy's value this year. I got him 6.7 as my RB3 last night in a 12 team ppr. Huge value for someone who wont have Helu stealing scores and will (hopefully) play all season.

Kenny Powers said:
Ghoti said:
Kenny Powers said:

Dont see anywhere in my post saying my league is better, your league sucks, etc. I just find it hard to believe when Morris' avg ADP according to FBGs as of Sept 1st is 32, he is falling to the 5th rd. Now if you are in a 10 team (or smaller) PPR league I could see Morris falling to the 5th rd, but only in that format. Which it would appear yourself and dwashington are not in. In the 11 drafts standard scoring, 12 team Ive done over the past couple weeks, he went in the 3rd round 9 times, 2nd round 2 times. Hence why I said, I dont know what kind of leagues you guys are in where he goes in the 5th round.

There was plenty of negative buzz and question marks surrounding the Skins last year too, and they mostly came to fruition yet Alf still ended up RB13. He should remain a solid RB2 this year as well, albeit one with a capped ceiling as the offense likely ends up in the bottom 1/3rd of the NFL again. Of course he is a value in the 5th, yet you "went against your own better judgment when you took (Morris) in round 5 as your RB2" :rolleyes:
If you don't see how condescending you come across, I can't help you. But hey, you actually made a couple good points in your last post, so we are making progress.Despite your own personal experience to the contrary, it appears that I am not the only one to see Morris fall to the fifth (or beyond) recently. So I think it's worth pointing out that he may be had later than one might expect and discuss whether the reasons for that fall are justified. To be honest, my eyebrows would be raised a lot more if I saw him go in the second round, particularly in PPR.

Drafted him as my RB2 at the 3/4 turn which I didn't think was too bad for a guy without much catching upside but who suits up for 16 games a year and hits 1000yds and close to 10 td's most years.

Kenny Powers said:
Ghoti said:
Kenny Powers said:

If you don't see how condescending you come across, I can't help you. But hey, you actually made a couple good points in your last post, so we are making progress.Despite your own personal experience to the contrary, it appears that I am not the only one to see Morris fall to the fifth (or beyond) recently. So I think it's worth pointing out that he may be had later than one might expect and discuss whether the reasons for that fall are justified. To be honest, my eyebrows would be raised a lot more if I saw him go in the second round, particularly in PPR.
As I said in my post, this was non-PPR where he was typically going 3rd, at times 2nd. His stock has always been lower in PPR. I could tell from your post your league (and others) werent PPR though. Id still say value in the 5th in PPR.

Non PPR he makes a fine RB2 with RB1 upside as he has shown he can pound it with the best of them. Cousins may stabilize the offense in the long run.

I am picking from the 8 hole tonight in a 12 team standard redraft and in numerous mocks I have been coming up with either Dez, Antonio or Julio in the first. Calvin, DT, or McCoy and Demarco in the 2nd then Alfred always there in the third along with Hyde.

Give me Morris.

Non PPR he makes a fine RB2 with RB1 upside as he has shown he can pound it with the best of them. Cousins may stabilize the offense in the long run.

I am picking from the 8 hole tonight in a 12 team standard redraft and in numerous mocks I have been coming up with either Dez, Antonio or Julio in the first. Calvin, DT, or McCoy and Demarco in the 2nd then Alfred always there in the third along with Hyde.

Give me Morris.
Have fun with morris. He will be almost not start able by mid season. Washington's defense is putrid and will always be down which then forces morris to the sideline as he isn't a receiving rb. Also you are making Cousins seem way better than he really is. Did you watch them last season. He had maybe a good game here and there but then the games that followed where games with interceptions left and right. Not only is the defense terrible but now you have cousins giving them great field position to give the team even a bigger lead. I like morris as an athlete and wish he was on a better team but I'm staying far away this year. BOL as always though!

Give me Morris.
Have fun with morris. He will be almost not start able by mid season. Washington's defense is putrid and will always be down which then forces morris to the sideline as he isn't a receiving rb. Also you are making Cousins seem way better than he really is. Did you watch them last season. He had maybe a good game here and there but then the games that followed where games with interceptions left and right. Not only is the defense terrible but now you have cousins giving them great field position to give the team even a bigger lead. I like morris as an athlete and wish he was on a better team but I'm staying far away this year. BOL as always though!
You bring out some great points. Mmmmmmmm. But look at the RB's you have in the 3rd round ADP range.....they all have ????

Doug Martin

Carlos Hyde

Ameer

Murray

All come with ???? I have them ranked:

Murray

Hyde

Morris

Ameer

I love Ameer.....he is the home run pick. Murray too. But the theme for all of them except Ameer is poor teams, playing from behind, etc. Morris is proven...that is what he has going for him. But yeah that team is a train wreck. And yes I watched Cousins. He is average at best. But the team is behind him and their is no questions who the starter is. So that can change things a little.

It's tough pickings this year with RB's. I can only pray Gore or Ingram make it to me at 3.8 if I go WR WR in rounds 1 and 2.

Which is why I am not inclined to do that. I have mocked to death. I can't stand my RB's. I can grab a DeMarco, Forte or LeSean at 2.7 (maybe...don't know if it is a RB whore draft yet) and go from there. But if a premier WR falls gotta go that way again in the second. It is about points in the end.

Tough drat spot this season in the 8 hole.....whoa is me LOL.

Give me Morris.
This is what I was thinking as well. I ended up with, by round, in a 10 team ppr, form the 6 hole, Dez/Demarco/J.Mathews/Morris. In the 4th I liked him better than what was available. I think in 12 team standard I'd snag him in the 3rd. I sorta like Hyde as well. But that division will be tough on him. Alf should find some room to run in the NFC East.

Give me Morris.
You bring out some great points. Mmmmmmmm. But look at the RB's you have in the 3rd round ADP range.....they all have ????

Doug Martin

Carlos Hyde

Ameer

Murray

Murray

Hyde

Morris

Ameer

I love Ameer.....he is the home run pick. Murray too. But the theme for all of them except Ameer is poor teams, playing from behind, etc. Morris is proven...that is what he has going for him. But yeah that team is a train wreck. And yes I watched Cousins. He is average at best. But the team is behind him and their is no questions who the starter is. So that can change things a little.

It's tough pickings this year with RB's. I can only pray Gore or Ingram make it to me at 3.8 if I go WR WR in rounds 1 and 2.

Which is why I am not inclined to do that. I have mocked to death. I can't stand my RB's. I can grab a DeMarco, Forte or LeSean at 2.7 (maybe...don't know if it is a RB whore draft yet) and go from there. But if a premier WR falls gotta go that way again in the second. It is about points in the end.

i can see you point from the 8th. I was lucky and got pick 1 and took AP. Morris was there in my 2-3 turn but i decided against it and took evans and cooks and by my picks in the 4-5 turn he was gone but i happily got foster. I like hyde more than i like morris i can't explain why just liked him in college. With those running backs its a crapshoot i have as my 2nd rb as shane vereen till foster comes back then i have a few fliers such as dion lewis and Christine Michael in hoping that they become useful in the stretch run.

Give me Morris.

Doug Martin

Carlos Hyde

Ameer

Murray

Murray

Hyde

Morris

Ameer

This is exactly what became very apparent to me as well, as I did mocks. I found that if I didn't grab Murray in the 2nd, I HATED my rb's. IMO, RB is wasteland in the middle rounds this year.

Give me Morris.

Doug Martin

Carlos Hyde

Ameer

Murray

Murray

Hyde

Morris

Ameer

This is exactly what became very apparent to me as well, as I did mocks. I found that if I didn't grab Murray in the 2nd, I HATED my rb's. IMO, RB is wasteland in the middle rounds this year.
That's just our preseason perception and it can bite you in the butt if you feel pressured into taking a RB in the 2nd because of it. Projected RB1 bust rates will likely still sit at 50%+ this year so I wouldn't succumb to the pressure of grabbing Murray, McCoy and etc. just because you don't want to miss out on the position. Statistically, 6+ dudes who you consider to be a part of the "middle round wasteland" will finish the season as a RB1s.

Give me Morris.
You bring out some great points. Mmmmmmmm. But look at the RB's you have in the 3rd round ADP range.....they all have ????Doug Martin

Carlos Hyde

Ameer

Murray

Murray

Hyde

Morris

Ameer

That's just our preseason perception and it can bite you in the butt if you feel pressured into taking a RB in the 2nd because of it. Projected RB1 bust rates will likely still sit at 50%+ this year so I wouldn't succumb to the pressure of grabbing Murray, McCoy and etc. just because you don't want to miss out on the position. Statistically, 6+ dudes who you consider to be a part of the "middle round wasteland" will finish the season as a RB1s.
I hear wat ur sayin, but much of the RB shuffle each year is due to injury and opportunity. In a redraft with short benches that means playin the ww is key. I just don't feel comfortable not grabbing at least one "stud" rb early. They all come with risk. I'm just not into banking on guys like jstew or Ingram. I know it's all give and take, but the WR depth is solid this year. I just happened to like my mocks best wen I went WR/RB and best value from there....some crazy QB value this season too

I like Alfred Morris, I really do, but not at his ADP. I feel he's an 1100/7 player on a bad team that will catch the least amount of passes compared to any other starting RB with an OK floor but no upside compared to the guys taken 1-3 rounds after him.

Well I really went best player available last night.

In this 12 team standard scoring league all TD's are 6 points. bonus points for 300 yard passing games and TD's 40 plus yards and 60 plus yards. So you can see where premiums are placed. QB's and big playmakers.

I ended up taking:

Brown

Rodgers

M.Evans

Abdullah

Yeldon

Foster

Duke Johnson

RB's were gone but the time I was in the third. Even Morris. It was a RB whore draft. But seeing Rodgers at 2.7 with this scoring set up was a no brainer for me. Luck and Rodgers......then the rest IMO at QB. I rolled the dice at RB on a bunch of promising rookies. I was all set to grab either Hyde or Morris in the 4th.....they were gone!!

in Dynasty league, Morris is a FA after this year - he will go to a new team in 2016 and be the #1 RB there IMO
I could see him in Baltimore or Cleveland next year. He's better than any of their current options.
NE could use a RB (assuming Dion Lewis doesn't keep this up).
Blount has a slightly higher career ypc and TD scoring rate than Morris and is dirt cheap. Not sure why they would go after a similar player for probably more money.

in Dynasty league, Morris is a FA after this year - he will go to a new team in 2016 and be the #1 RB there IMO
I could see him in Baltimore or Cleveland next year. He's better than any of their current options.
NE could use a RB (assuming Dion Lewis doesn't keep this up).
Blount has a slightly higher career ypc and TD scoring rate than Morris and is dirt cheap. Not sure why they would go after a similar player for probably more money.
Blount is an UFA after the season just like Morris and Morris is two years younger.

Morris will cost more but I doubt he gets any more than the 3 year/$10M standard RB contract these days.

The Patriots aren't going to spend money on a RB in free agency. They will address the position though the draft, UFA, and cuts (thanks Cleveland for Lewis.)

Really getting a bad feeling about Morris and his situation.

Matt Jones is making a clear case for work.

(Oddly enough I actually drafted Jones at the end of a draft, in the sole league where I have Morris.....but I had to drop him after week 1 due to an injury)

Of course Jones was snapped up. :(

I currently have Dion Lewis starting in front of Morris, and I do not feel good about it.

Preseason, I remember telling myself I had a bad feeling about this Morris/Jones scenario, and Morris fell to me in such a way that I almost had to take him.

Are the other owners nervous as well???? (you most likely got him in the 4th or 5th)

TZM

Really getting a bad feeling about Morris and his situation.

Matt Jones is making a clear case for work.

(Oddly enough I actually drafted Jones at the end of a draft, in the sole league where I have Morris.....but I had to drop him after week 1 due to an injury)

Of course Jones was snapped up. :(

I currently have Dion Lewis starting in front of Morris, and I do not feel good about it.

Preseason, I remember telling myself I had a bad feeling about this Morris/Jones scenario, and Morris fell to me in such a way that I almost had to take him.

Are the other owners nervous as well???? (you most likely got him in the 4th or 5th)

TZM
Yeah. Like you, I knew Matt Jones was a threat and still rolled the dice on Morris in the 4th. This situation does not look good. Meanwhile, Matt Jones looks very, very good.

ETA: Kicking myself more for dismissing the posts saying "sell Morris high" after week 1. That would have been perfect. :wall:

I am not a Morris or Jones owner in any league so this is just from the outside looking in with no dog in the fight:

Like a lot of people, I have been watching this unfold and, to me, Jones looks like David Johnson out in Arizona. The coaches in AZ simply can't justify holding him back much longer.

The difference in Washington is those coaches have already acknowledged the talent. They spoke about Jones the other day and used the word "rare" when describing him and, to me, that says a lot. You always hear coaches say a guy is good...great..can do this..can do that..brings this to the team...is "special"...all that.. But you hardly ever hear a coach directly say a player is "rare" or "is somebody we can't replace" or something along those lines unless its a done deal that he is THE GUY.

I really think its simply a matter of time before Jones is like Hill was last year and just absorbs the role they build around in the run game.

Users who are viewing this thread