What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 PDSL 3 Comment Thread (1 Viewer)

Been a bit overwhelmed after picking this up during the 6th round.

Do feel like I've struggled a bit after not having any prep time but I think a few of my picks could surprise, I've taken chances on new HCs revitalising certain positions (Reid in KC - Alex smith, Chip Kelly in Philly - Maclin, Casey)

Thanks to Donsmith753 for stepping in for me the past few days. I'm taking back over, so send any pms to me now please.

Good job Donnie, I really like the Maclin/Smith picks. The Casey one was a shock when I first saw it, but It could be a good gamble.

Thanks to Donsmith753 for stepping in for me the past few days. I'm taking back over, so send any pms to me now please. Good job Donnie, I really like the Maclin/Smith picks. The Casey one was a shock when I first saw it, but It could be a good gamble.
Fwiw, I planned to target Casey in the 11th if he was there.

LongBallLarry said:
Thanks to Donsmith753 for stepping in for me the past few days. I'm taking back over, so send any pms to me now please. Good job Donnie, I really like the Maclin/Smith picks. The Casey one was a shock when I first saw it, but It could be a good gamble.
I'd be shocked if Casey isn't moved to TE on MFL before the start of the season and with the uncertainty over Gronk it made sense to get another guy.

11.05, 49ers, Def 1

Too soon?
I don't think so ... if the run on defenses hadn't started by the 11/12 turn I was planning to kick it off.

According to MFL, DST1 averaged 5-1/2 PPG more than a replacement-level DST (DST16). I daresay there isn't another position at this spot in the draft where you are likely to find that kind of VAR vs. what would be available at the position 22 (in your case) picks from now.

Andy Dufresne said:
I hope this won't be a problem, but I'll be unavailable Fri, Sat, Sun.
No issue, though I really think we need to try to have this wrapped up by next Tuesday at the latest, as the NFL schedule (and accompanying bye weeks) is officially released on Wednesday the 17th.

These last few rounds have gone at a pretty fast clip so I'm not as worried about this as I would have been last week.

Andy Dufresne said:
I hope this won't be a problem, but I'll be unavailable Fri, Sat, Sun.
Do you want to have a temporary replacement?
I'd take one, sure. I feel like I've completely lost control of this draft anyway. :yucky:
Haha. Let's see where we are by the time you leave and decide then. Things are moving at a good pace right now. I can help recruit someone if we need to.

Heh. Just saw this Mr. I. As someone who went 1-7 in Week 15 semifinals I can relate.
:cry: 0-4 for me. Oh-and-four! And they weren't squeakers, either. I think I lost by something like an average of 22 points.

BTW, wdcrob, I just looked through the rosters, and you are absolutely killing this draft:

Player YTD Pts Bye

Manning, Peyton DEN QB - 7
Palmer, Carson ARI QB - 10

Jones, Felix DAL RB - 5
Martin, Doug TBB RB - 5
Mendenhall, Rashard ARI RB - 10
Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB - 6

Burleson, Nate DET WR (P) - 5
Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR (Q) - 9
Johnson, Andre HOU WR - 8
Williams, Mike TBB WR - 5

Celek, Brent PHI TE - 7
Gresham, Jermaine CIN TE - 8

49ers, San Francisco SFO Def - 9
13 Total Players
I mean, that's an A- or B-rated team at every single position. IMO you've got the best squad at this point and it's not close.

Thanks man. I'm happy with my team so far, but I'm also a pretty bad redrafter. I'm just not able to separate how good I think a player really is from his situation -- and Mendenhall, DeAngelo, Felix, Holmes, Burleson and Celek could all be zeroburgers by September.

Thanks man. I'm happy with my team so far, but I'm also a pretty bad redrafter. I'm just not able to separate how good I think a player really is from his situation -- and Mendenhall, DeAngelo, Felix, Holmes, Burleson and Celek could all be zeroburgers by September.
Yeah that where I look at your team and I see more questions than a 'top of the league' type team... Is Mendenhall the starter in Arizona? Is DeAngelo the starter in Carolina? Outside of AJ your receivers are not an outstanding group... I do like your QB combo and that will help you but I just don't see what Mr. Irrevelant is seeing with this roster. Not casting stones - my roster has it's own set of problems but I definitely see a couple of other squads I would prefer to this one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and perhaps MI has a big man crush on Mendenhall and Mike Williams (lol)...

Don't fret about the 'redraft' aspect... with rosters still in transition in the NFL, the rookie draft still weeks away and still no OTAs - it is near impossible to guage where and NFL team is at the moment yet alone try to draft of squad within a 16 team league and make sense of what you have on your roster and how your team will fair against the rest of the league.

Oh, it's definitely subjective. I'm looking at it through the eyes of "who would I have taken at those spots / positions if they'd been available, or I'd gone a different direction" and both his QBs, D-Will, Holmes, Williams, and Gresham are all on that list. Meh on Mendy but at least he's a probable starter, which is more than I can say for most of my RB corps.

I'm also looking at "who's well-equipped to handle a Survivor format" - not that I've ever played in one - but I've gotta think that consistency across the positions is priority #1. Granted, still 8 rounds to go, but I don't see many other rosters (mine included) that up to this point aren't in serious trouble if one of their key guys goes down early.

IMO wdc and Renesauz are Tier 1 at this point, and everyone else is chasing those two. My :2cents: worth.

CommuterMan said:
wdcrob said:
Yeah that where I look at your team and I see more questions than a 'top of the league' type team... Is Mendenhall the starter in Arizona? Is DeAngelo the starter in Carolina? Outside of AJ your receivers are not an outstanding group... I do like your QB combo and that will help you but I just don't see what Mr. Irrevelant is seeing with this roster. Not casting stones - my roster has it's own set of problems but I definitely see a couple of other squads I would prefer to this one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and perhaps MI has a big man crush on Mendenhall and Mike Williams (lol)..

I'm also looking at "who's well-equipped to handle a Survivor format" - not that I've ever played in one - but I've gotta think that consistency across the positions is priority #1. Granted, still 8 rounds to go, but I don't see many other rosters (mine included) that up to this point aren't in serious trouble if one of their key guys goes down early.
I think this is a great strategy for surviving until week 8, but not necessarily the best strategy for winning the league. But I've never played in a survivor either.

I'd be shocked if Casey isn't moved to TE on MFL before the start of the season and with the uncertainty over Gronk it made sense to get another guy.
MFL just moved Casey to TE yesterday. :thumbup:

Romo, Tony DAL QB - 11Schaub, Matt HOU QB - 8Dwyer, Jonathan PIT RB - 5Ridley, Stevan NEP RB - 10Sproles, Darren NOS RB - 7Tate, Ben HOU RB - 8Woodhead, Danny SDC RB - 8Avery, Donnie KCC WR - 10Boldin, Anquan SFO WR - 9Green, A.J. CIN WR - 12Harris, Dwayne DAL WR - 11Randle, Rueben NYG WR - 9Wayne, Reggie IND WR - 8Gates, Antonio SDC TE - 8Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE - 9

Watson, Ben NO TE - 7

Graham, Shayne HOU PK - 8

Brown, Josh NYG PK - 9

Chargers, San Diego SDC Def - 8Titans, Tennessee TEN Def - 8

I guess the bye weeks could have been worse for meOther then AJ, my team doesn't scream star power, but I believe it to be pretty solid. Curious to see how far it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing your 2013 Irrelevants:

QB:1.16 Drew Brees, NO (QB2)10.01 Matt Flynn, OAK (QB23)I know several folks decided from the outset on a QBBC approach, but in a league with 6-pt pass TD's I still believe that having an elite QB is imperative. The numbers speak for themselves - last year a best-ball combo of Eli and Freeman (in decent fantasy years for both) still averaged 1.5 PPG less than Brees did all by himself.

In that sense, Flynn is nothing more than bye-week coverage and a cheap insurance policy. However, I think with Oakland needing to throw a ton, he nonetheless has a shot to significantly outperform his draft position.

RB:4.01 Frank Gore, SF (RB22)7.16 Mikel Leshoure, DET (RB36)9.16 Knowshon Moreno, DEN (RB45)13.16 LaMichael James, SF (RB64)14.01 Andre Ellington, ROOK (RB65)17.16 Michael Turner, FA (RB76) :tfp:

WR:2.01 Brandon Marshall, CHI (WR3)3.16 Vincent Jackson, TB (WR15)6.01 Danario Alexander, SD (WR31)11.16 Darrius Heyward-Bey, IND (WR66)16.01 Andrew Hawkins, CIN (WR85)20.01 Jason Avant, PHI (WR97)Individually I like some of my WR's more than others, but as a collection I think they're custom-tailored for a 3WR PPR best-ball format. I've got two true WR1's in Marshall and V-Jax; a WR2 with big-play potential and big-time upside in DX; two pure home-run hitters in DHB and Hawkins; and a reliable possession guy in Avant whom, since I only rostered 6 WRs, I suspect might just save my bacon with his typical 5/68/0 output some week when the guys above him come up small.

TE:5.16 Dennis Pitta, BAL (TE10)8.01 Heath Miller, PIT (TE16)I think with Boldin gone that Pitta is poised for a huge year - I got him at TE10 and I think he's got even odds to put up a top-5 season. Heath at 8.01 was clearly a reach but, in my mind, the potential benefit of having 2 bona fide TE1's in a 2PPR league down the stretch is so enormous that I'm willing to roll the dice either that he comes back in Week 1 or that Piita can carry the load on his own if Miller starts the season on the PUP list.

ST:15.16 Justin Tucker, BAL (K7)19.16 Dan Carpenter, MIA (K29)12.01 Broncos, DEN (D3)18.01 Vikings, MIN (D22)When you're at the turn in a 16-team league, you really only have two options when it comes to special teams: either grab a top-end one the first chance you get, or cross your fingers and hope you can make something of what's left by the time it comes back to you 30 picks later. I went with option (A) and am pleased with the results. Tucker is extremely accurate and will get above-average opportunities, while Denver may not finish in the top 3 but should be a reliable week-in and week-out option with an occasional outburst.

Overall, I think my team will provide an interesting case study: in a league where stud RB's are relatively devalued compared to many standard redraft leagues (6-pt pass TD's, start 3 WR's, 1- and 2-PPR scoring), is it still necessary to have stud RB's to win? Or can having elite / upper-tier talent at every other position, plus a deep bench of has-beens and might-never-be's at RB, offset the hole I'll be digging for myself on a weekly basis at the position?

I think the Irrevelants are more likely than the average squad to make a September exit, but also more likely than average to make the final four. Time will tell.

Interested in others' feedback here.

6.9 Ben Roethlisberger QB

7.8 Josh Freeman QB
Decided from the get-go to spend a 6/7 on a QBBC. While Ben/Freeman was better than I expected - both have big game upside and well-established - still, if I would have known that I could get Freeman/Dalton at 7/8 or Dalton/Schaub at 8/9, I might have waited even longer. There were a few WRs available in the 6th that I hated to pass on.

1.8 Marshawn Lynch RB

3.8 Demarco Murray RB

9.8 Isaiah Pead RB

12.9 Pierre Thomas RB

14.9 Michael Bush RB

16.9 Mike Gillislee RB
Plan was always RB-Hernandez, but Murray falling to 3.8 made it easier to go away from my usual RB2BC. Pead has upside and should provide a firewall at worst, as will Pierre Thomas with his 4-8 pts a week and occasional outburst. Bush gets goalline carries and has upside if Forte misses time. Gilleslee was a shot in the dark for a hit in the draft late since I felt I had solid depth.

4.9 Jordy Nelson

5.8 Torrey Smith

8.8 Tavon Austin

10.9 Greg Little

11.8 DeAndre Hopkins

15.8 Joseph Morgan

20.9 Josh Morgan
I like this composition of two guys that are threats to be top 5 in any given week, a rookie who theoretically will have a high PPR floor and ceiling with his game-breaking speed, a solid #2 who should get 3-5 catches a week, the most pro ready outside receiver in this year's draft, a deep threat with a growing role in a great passing game, and a #2 in a passing offense with a #1 who just said that he might not be 100% all year.

2.9 Aaron Hernandez

13.8 Marcedes Lewis
Plan A was always Hern in the 2nd, and that was before Gronk's week 1 was put in doubt. Has the talent and role now with Welker gone to be the #1 fantasy TE if he can stay healthy. Lewis should be good enough to keep me afloat if Hernandez misses time again.

17.8 Robbie Gould

18.9 KC D/ST

19.8 DET D/ST
I usually like to just go with one somewhat safe kicker, opting to get extra RB/WR depth with that pick instead. Usually kickers as established as Gould don't last until the 17th. I like taking any 2 D/ST's as late as possible. I think KC will be a major value D with OAK/SD X2 plus a good improvement overall in the quality of the team.

07.10 QB17 Cutler08.07 QB19 Tannehill02.07 WR06 Fitzgerald05.10 WR28 M.Austin06.07 WR35 S.Smith10.07 WR54 E.Sanders11.10 WR64 Quick13.10 WR70 A.Roberts19.10 WR96 Ford03.10 RB20 Mathews04.07 RB24 Stewart09.10 RB42 C.Michael12.07 RB58 Beanie20.07 RB82 Blount01.10 TE02 Graham14.07 TE33 Z.Miller15.10 PK05 Zuerlein18.07 PK22 Hauschka16.07 TD18 Miami17.10 TD21 BuffaloQB - Wanted Culter/Rivers but went with Tannehill for upside when Rivers went QB18. I look forward to Cutler in a new offense with decent weapons. Tannehill could do quite well with Wallace, but I'm not holding my breath.

WR - Very confident in my top 4 guys outpacing their draft positions. 5-7 were all gambles, but I like all three guys. Most happy with how this section ended up.

RB - Extremely happy to have Mathews/Stewart as my 1 & 2, even more happy where I was able to get them. Hoping Beanie and Michael find good homes. Hoping for Blount to get cut/traded. All three of those guys were risky picks.

TE - Wanted Gronk, but can't complain about Graham in a 2PPR TE league. Always like Zach Miller's talent.

Overall, very happy with the way this team turned out - very close to what I envisioned before the draft began. RB depth is obviously up in the air until the draft and free agency get settled, but I was happy enough with my RB1/2 that I didn't feel the need to invest heavily at that position.

I remember when I was good at redraft leagues. I'm okay at TE but if I don't get lucky with my RBs then I'm sunk.

PLAYER YTD PTS BYE
Manning, Eli NYG QB - 11
Rivers, Philip SDC QB - 7
Bell, Le'Veon FA RB ® - -
Forte, Matt CHI RB - 6
Franklin, Jonathan FA RB ® - -
Goodson, Mike NYJ RB - 9
Taylor, Stepfan FA RB ® - -
Crabtree, Michael SFO WR - 9
Hankerson, Leonard WAS WR - 10
Jones, Julio ATL WR - 7
Shorts, Cecil JAC WR (P) - 6
Wright, Jarius MIN WR - 11
Bennett, Martellus CHI TE - 6
Cameron, Jordan CLE TE - 10
Rudolph, Kyle MIN TE - 11
Barth, Connor TBB PK - 5
Bogotay, Brandon CLE PK - 10
Browns, Cleveland CLE Def - 10
Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB Def - 5
Jaguars, Jacksonville JAC Def - 6

07.10 QB17 Cutler08.07 QB19 Tannehill02.07 WR06 Fitzgerald05.10 WR28 M.Austin06.07 WR35 S.Smith10.07 WR54 E.Sanders11.10 WR64 Quick13.10 WR70 A.Roberts19.10 WR96 Ford03.10 RB20 Mathews04.07 RB24 Stewart09.10 RB42 C.Michael12.07 RB58 Beanie20.07 RB82 Blount01.10 TE02 Graham14.07 TE33 Z.Miller15.10 PK05 Zuerlein18.07 PK22 Hauschka16.07 TD18 Miami17.10 TD21 BuffaloQB - Wanted Culter/Rivers but went with Tannehill for upside when Rivers went QB18. I look forward to Cutler in a new offense with decent weapons. Tannehill could do quite well with Wallace, but I'm not holding my breath.

WR - Very confident in my top 4 guys outpacing their draft positions. 5-7 were all gambles, but I like all three guys. Most happy with how this section ended up.

RB - Extremely happy to have Mathews/Stewart as my 1 & 2, even more happy where I was able to get them. Hoping Beanie and Michael find good homes. Hoping for Blount to get cut/traded. All three of those guys were risky picks.

TE - Wanted Gronk, but can't complain about Graham in a 2PPR TE league. Always like Zach Miller's talent.

Overall, very happy with the way this team turned out - very close to what I envisioned before the draft began. RB depth is obviously up in the air until the draft and free agency get settled, but I was happy enough with my RB1/2 that I didn't feel the need to invest heavily at that position.
RB is scary with Mathews track record, Stewart in a time share, and Michael with no guarantee of a decent-sized workload. Would have preferred to see better depth at RB, and less at WR. well done on slow playing QB and WR value at 5/6

QB:

Robert Griffin (4.02)

Jake Locker (10.02)

QB likely will make or break this team. Griffin was not good value, but I didn't love any of the WRs left at 4.02 either. If he can return by week 3 and excel as a pass-first QB, I think I can make a deep run. Locker is just a guy, but he seems to have a firm hold on the starting job in Tennessee.

RB:

CJ Spiller (1.15)

Alf Morris (2.02)

Andre Brown (7.15)

Robert Turbin (11.15)

Brandon Bolden (19.15)

Knew I was going RB/RB unless Graham or Gronk fell. Got fairly safe options in Morris and Spiller, which let me be judicious about drafting RB depth. Brown and Turbin, in particular, are one injury away from RB1 status.

WR:

James Jones (5.15)

Josh Gordon (6.02)

Denarius Moore (8.02)

Brian Hartline (9.15)

Mohammed Sanu (12.02)

Nick Toon (16.02)

Markus Wheaton (20.02)

Seven, count 'em, seven wide receivers! Many of them are large and/or fast! Some -- maybe even most -- will have footballs thrown at them during the NFL regular season. They will wear uniforms in a variety of colors.

TE:

Tony Gonzalez (3.15)

Delanie Walker (14.02)

Gonzalez was the last of my Tier 2 TEs. Quite happy to get him more than a full round later than Hernandez and Witten. Despite my WR corps, I don't regret taking him over VJax. Delanie Walker is a serviceable backup. His 2012 drop rate is anomalous and overhyped.

PK:

Phil Dawson (17.15)

Adam Vinatieri (18.02)

Just wanted two guys not likely to face camp competition.

DST:

Rams (13.15)

Giants (15.15)

Wanted two top-half defenses, and I got them. I'd rather get the Rams (13.15) and Markus Wheaton (20.02) than, for example, Justin Hunter (14.03) and the Jaguars (20.04).

QB

Matt Ryan ATL (3.02)

Christian Ponder MIN (10.15)

I like to anchor with a top QB when given the opportunity. Took Ryan over Payton due to bye weeks and over Brady due to WR changes. After Brees and Rodgers, Ryan seems the safest bet to repeat his top 5. Ponder is a solid backup who I grabbed super late.

RB

A.Peterson MIN (1.02)

B.Giovani ROOK (7.02)

T.Gerhart MIN (16.15)

J.Randle ROOK (19.02)

Here is clearly my risk position with only one real proven contributor. AP is worth 1.5 RBs, so that helps and having the handcuff seemed smart in the given situation. For the RB2, we have 2 top rookie prospects in what is a "down year" for RBs. How this all goes is a multiphase TBD, with phase 1 being Draft weekend.

WR

W.Welker DEN (2.15)

A.Brown PIT (5.02)

L.Moore NO (6.15)

C.Patterson ROOK (8.15)

B.Lloyd FA (11.15)

D.Jones NE (14.15)

D.Bess (15.02)

With 3 picks in 6 rounds, I feel I should like this group more. It has a bit of a blue collar feel, when it should sparkle with some elite shine. Still, blue collar will work. Lets start with the high expectations. Wes continues to roll for Payton, Brown gets more targets, and Bess dominates some nickel-backs. If I get fair production from my rookie and free agent, Ill be happy. If Jones starts for NE, hell be a super steal in the 14th.

TE

G.Olson CAR (4.15)

F.Davis WASH (9.02)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this pair especially for the price paid. Expecting a monster bounce back year for Fred Davis.

PK

S.Gotkowski NE (13.02)

S.Suisham PIT (18.15)

R.Harvard DET (20.15)

TD

Chicago (12.15)

NYJ (17.02)

QB:1.16 Drew Brees, NO (QB2)10.01 Matt Flynn, OAK (QB23)I know several folks decided from the outset on a QBBC approach, but in a league with 6-pt pass TD's I still believe that having an elite QB is imperative. The numbers speak for themselves - last year a best-ball combo of Eli and Freeman (in decent fantasy years for both) still averaged 1.5 PPG less than Brees did all by himself.

In that sense, Flynn is nothing more than bye-week coverage and a cheap insurance policy. However, I think with Oakland needing to throw a ton, he nonetheless has a shot to significantly outperform his draft position.

RB:4.01 Frank Gore, SF (RB22)7.16 Mikel Leshoure, DET (RB36)9.16 Knowshon Moreno, DEN (RB45)13.16 LaMichael James, SF (RB64)14.01 Andre Ellington, ROOK (RB65)17.16 Michael Turner, FA (RB76) :tfp:

WR:2.01 Brandon Marshall, CHI (WR3)3.16 Vincent Jackson, TB (WR15)6.01 Danario Alexander, SD (WR31)11.16 Darrius Heyward-Bey, IND (WR66)16.01 Andrew Hawkins, CIN (WR85)20.01 Jason Avant, PHI (WR97)Individually I like some of my WR's more than others, but as a collection I think they're custom-tailored for a 3WR PPR best-ball format. I've got two true WR1's in Marshall and V-Jax; a WR2 with big-play potential and big-time upside in DX; two pure home-run hitters in DHB and Hawkins; and a reliable possession guy in Avant whom, since I only rostered 6 WRs, I suspect might just save my bacon with his typical 5/68/0 output some week when the guys above him come up small.

TE:5.16 Dennis Pitta, BAL (TE10)8.01 Heath Miller, PIT (TE16)I think with Boldin gone that Pitta is poised for a huge year - I got him at TE10 and I think he's got even odds to put up a top-5 season. Heath at 8.01 was clearly a reach but, in my mind, the potential benefit of having 2 bona fide TE1's in a 2PPR league down the stretch is so enormous that I'm willing to roll the dice either that he comes back in Week 1 or that Piita can carry the load on his own if Miller starts the season on the PUP list.

ST:15.16 Justin Tucker, BAL (K7)19.16 Dan Carpenter, MIA (K29)12.01 Broncos, DEN (D3)18.01 Vikings, MIN (D22)When you're at the turn in a 16-team league, you really only have two options when it comes to special teams: either grab a top-end one the first chance you get, or cross your fingers and hope you can make something of what's left by the time it comes back to you 30 picks later. I went with option (A) and am pleased with the results. Tucker is extremely accurate and will get above-average opportunities, while Denver may not finish in the top 3 but should be a reliable week-in and week-out option with an occasional outburst.

Overall, I think my team will provide an interesting case study: in a league where stud RB's are relatively devalued compared to many standard redraft leagues (6-pt pass TD's, start 3 WR's, 1- and 2-PPR scoring), is it still necessary to have stud RB's to win? Or can having elite / upper-tier talent at every other position, plus a deep bench of has-beens and might-never-be's at RB, offset the hole I'll be digging for myself on a weekly basis at the position?

I think the Irrevelants are more likely than the average squad to make a September exit, but also more likely than average to make the final four. Time will tell.

I'm afraid you made an argument to not go QB @ 1.16. If Brees only gives you a 1.5 PPG edge over a 5th/7th combo, that's not buying enough advantage at your first round pick. I bet if you compare at other positions, the edge will be a lot bigger

I think Gore was a great pick and he should provide good return on 4.1, but you needed another RB pick in your first 6. Turner and Ellington were actually good late shots in the dark (love Ellington), but Moreno was probably a shank of a pick with safer, better options on the board. Just don't see the upside there.

WR should be a strength, and it better be. Alexander was probably unnecessary with Marshall and Vjax in tow. should have been an RB pick

Pitta and Miller is strong, but, I think you could have gotten decent bang for your buck at TE2 for 5-7 rounds after the 8th. again would have liked an RB pick instead.

Think you got the #1 D/ST at #3

7.8 Josh Freeman QB
Decided from the get-go to spend a 6/7 on a QBBC. While Ben/Freeman was better than I expected - both have big game upside and well-established - still, if I would have known that I could get Freeman/Dalton at 7/8 or Dalton/Schaub at 8/9, I might have waited even longer. There were a few WRs available in the 6th that I hated to pass on.

>1.8 Marshawn Lynch RB

3.8 Demarco Murray RB

9.8 Isaiah Pead RB

12.9 Pierre Thomas RB

14.9 Michael Bush RB

16.9 Mike Gillislee RB
Plan was always RB-Hernandez, but Murray falling to 3.8 made it easier to go away from my usual RB2BC. Pead has upside and should provide a firewall at worst, as will Pierre Thomas with his 4-8 pts a week and occasional outburst. Bush gets goalline carries and has upside if Forte misses time. Gilleslee was a shot in the dark for a hit in the draft late since I felt I had solid depth.

4.9 Jordy Nelson

5.8 Torrey Smith

8.8 Tavon Austin

10.9 Greg Little

11.8 DeAndre Hopkins

15.8 Joseph Morgan

20.9 Josh Morgan
I like this composition of two guys that are threats to be top 5 in any given week, a rookie who theoretically will have a high PPR floor and ceiling with his game-breaking speed, a solid #2 who should get 3-5 catches a week, the most pro ready outside receiver in this year's draft, a deep threat with a growing role in a great passing game, and a #2 in a passing offense with a #1 who just said that he might not be 100% all year.

2.9 Aaron Hernandez

13.8 Marcedes Lewis
Plan A was always Hern in the 2nd, and that was before Gronk's week 1 was put in doubt. Has the talent and role now with Welker gone to be the #1 fantasy TE if he can stay healthy. Lewis should be good enough to keep me afloat if Hernandez misses time again.

17.8 Robbie Gould

18.9 KC D/ST

19.8 DET D/ST
I usually like to just go with one somewhat safe kicker, opting to get extra RB/WR depth with that pick instead. Usually kickers as established as Gould don't last until the 17th. I like taking any 2 D/ST's as late as possible. I think KC will be a major value D with OAK/SD X2 plus a good improvement overall in the quality of the team.
QB - As a guy with a similar QB plan (I didn't have a round in mind, but I wanted to wait until the last second to grab Cutler or Rivers) I can't argue with your timing or selection. Big Ben has been a favorite target of mine the last few years. Freeman isn't great, but he's definitely undervalued.

RB - Never liked Murray but he's solid in PPR. Good blend of backups to fill in points with either receptions or touchdowns.

WR - Pretty thin here. I avoid rookie WRs like the plague so we obviously have different strategies. Torrey Smith will easily outproduce his ADP. Curious to see if he'll take the next step, though. I was targeting Miles Austin at 5.10 but I was going to have to think long and hard if Torrey was still available.

TE - I will probably never have a team with Hernandez on it, but hard to argue against him in this league. If he stays healthy he could surpass 90 rec this year which would be filthy value at 2.09. Lewis is a very unsexy backup pick who could fill in quite well (in case of a Hernandez injury) should Gabbert take a step forward in his 3rd year.

Respectfully disagree with your stance on kickers. I think a second kicker would score more points for your team than a 7th WR.

I remember when I was good at redraft leagues. I'm okay at TE but if I don't get lucky with my RBs then I'm sunk.

PLAYER YTD PTS BYE
Manning, Eli NYG QB - 11
Rivers, Philip SDC QB - 7
Bell, Le'Veon FA RB ® - -
Forte, Matt CHI RB - 6
Franklin, Jonathan FA RB ® - -
Goodson, Mike NYJ RB - 9
Taylor, Stepfan FA RB ® - -
Crabtree, Michael SFO WR - 9
Hankerson, Leonard WAS WR - 10
Jones, Julio ATL WR - 7
Shorts, Cecil JAC WR (P) - 6
Wright, Jarius MIN WR - 11
Bennett, Martellus CHI TE - 6
Cameron, Jordan CLE TE - 10
Rudolph, Kyle MIN TE - 11
Barth, Connor TBB PK - 5
Bogotay, Brandon CLE PK - 10
Browns, Cleveland CLE Def - 10
Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB Def - 5
Jaguars, Jacksonville JAC Def - 6
I actually like that shotgun strategy with rookie RBs. I did RB2BC w rookies last year and hit with Martin on a few teams. Franklin is a terrific

prospect and you really bummed me out when you took him.

I think you could have used another RB/WR instead of a 3rd defense. I want to argue against taking 3 TEs, but Cameron has a lot of upside, and it could work out. If you could have known that you could get bennett and cameron later, maybe you don't go with rudolph?

7.8 Josh Freeman QB

>>1.8 Marshawn Lynch RB

3.8 Demarco Murray RB

9.8 Isaiah Pead RB

12.9 Pierre Thomas RB

14.9 Michael Bush RB

16.9 Mike Gillislee RB

lockquote>Plan was always RB-Hernandez, but Murray falling to 3.8 made it easier to go away from my usual RB2BC. Pead has upside and should provide a firewall at worst, as will Pierre Thomas with his 4-8 pts a week and occasional outburst. Bush gets goalline carries and has upside if Forte misses time. Gilleslee was a shot in the dark for a hit in the draft late since I felt I had solid depth.

>4.9 Jordy Nelson

5.8 Torrey Smith

8.8 Tavon Austin

10.9 Greg Little

11.8 DeAndre Hopkins

15.8 Joseph Morgan

20.9 Josh Morgan

2.9 Aaron Hernandez

13.8 Marcedes Lewis

17.8 Robbie Gould

18.9 KC D/ST

19.8 DET D/ST
QB - As a guy with a similar QB plan (I didn't have a round in mind, but I wanted to wait until the last second to grab Cutler or Rivers) I can't argue with your timing or selection. Big Ben has been a favorite target of mine the last few years. Freeman isn't great, but he's definitely undervalued.

RB - Never liked Murray but he's solid in PPR. Good blend of backups to fill in points with either receptions or touchdowns.

WR - Pretty thin here. I avoid rookie WRs like the plague so we obviously have different strategies. Torrey Smith will easily outproduce his ADP. Curious to see if he'll take the next step, though. I was targeting Miles Austin at 5.10 but I was going to have to think long and hard if Torrey was still available.

TE - I will probably never have a team with Hernandez on it, but hard to argue against him in this league. If he stays healthy he could surpass 90 rec this year which would be filthy value at 2.09. Lewis is a very unsexy backup pick who could fill in quite well (in case of a Hernandez injury) should Gabbert take a step forward in his 3rd year.

Respectfully disagree with your stance on kickers. I think a second kicker would score more points for your team than a 7th WR.
I think a 2nd K may add more points to the bottom line, but only at the margin - so perhaps 3-5 pts at the most in any given week, except the bye and in case of injury. I like to go risk/reward at WR Morgans usual 6-10 points could be more important in case of byes/injuries/my trio of deep threats and rookie duo going cold in any given week. Just see that "firewall" WR as more likely to save me than a few points from a kicker. In general, Ive noticed that when I get booted, it's because of a poor RB/WR week not just missing out by a point or two, so I try to have a lot of backup plans there

Yea, those are last years bye weeks.

Manning, Peyton DEN QB

Palmer, Carson ARI QB

No reason not to be happy with this pair. Had a hard time picking between Brady and Manning, but went with Peyton just because the situation with his receivers is more settled.

---------------------------------------------------------

Martin, Doug TBB RB

Mendenhall, Rashard ARI RB

Also happy with this pair in a 16-teamer. Not really worried at all about Mendenhall unless we start hearing stories that his knee is balky. I expect him to end up somewhere between RB20 and RB32, and most likely around RB26 where I drafted him.

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

Tolbert, Mike CAR RB

I think the chances that the new management makes the same mistake the old one did, and keeps two expensive RBs, are very low. And I think the chances that they make Williams a June 1st cut and re-sign him cheaply aren't very high either. Williams at a reduced salary is a perfect fit for some RB needy team with a rookie RB as their #1. And he's appears to have something left. Tolbert is a nice RB5 even if Williams stays. If Williams leaves it's even better.

Jones, Felix DAL RB

I have a weakness for Felix, and apparently there's no cure. He's probably been my costliest mistake in FF overall. Most of my big misses I didn't pay anything for, but this one has not always been cheap.

-------------------------------------------------------

Johnson, Andre HOU WR

Williams, Mike TBB WR

Solid 1-2 here.

Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR (Q)

Burleson, Nate DET WR

Washington, Nate TEN? WR

Patton, Quinton ??? WR ®

Simson, Jerome MIN WR

My season probably turns on these five WRs. Holmes, Burleson, Washington and Patton are all basically unknowns for 2013. If Holmes is healthy, Burleson keeps his old role with Young's implosion, Washington lands on his feet in TEN or elsewhere I'm probably pretty solid. If not, not.

-------------------------------------------

Celek, Brent PHI TE

Gresham, Jermaine CIN TE

Glad to get Gresham as TE#9 and Celek is a strong TE2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crosby, Mason GBP PK

Nugent, Mike CIN PK

Crosby had a bad year and missed a lot of FGs, but Ks have a lot of seasonal randomness and he should return to form. At PK14 he was low risk. Was also pretty surprised to get Nugent as PK26. Did his re-signing with the Bengals slip under the radar?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers, San Francisco SFO Def

Panthers, Carolina CAR Def

One good, bad.

---------------------

Overall, a solid top two at every position, but the depth is mostly swing for the fences. A lot of things could go wrong.

ETA: other opinions welcome!

Manning, Peyton DEN QBPalmer, Carson ARI QB No reason not to be happy with this pair. Had a hard time picking between Brady and Manning, but went with Peyton just because the situation with his receivers is more settled.---------------------------------------------------------Martin, Doug TBB RBMendenhall, Rashard ARI RB Also happy with this pair in a 16-teamer. Not really worried at all about Mendenhall unless we start hearing stories that his knee is balky. I expect him to end up somewhere between RB20 and RB32, and most likely around RB26 where I drafted him. Williams, DeAngelo CAR RBTolbert, Mike CAR RB I think the chances that the new management makes the same mistake the old one did, and keeps two expensive RBs, are very low. And I think the chances that they make Williams a June 1st cut and re-sign him cheaply aren't very high either. Williams at a reduced salary is a perfect fit for some RB needy team with a rookie RB as their #1. And he's appears to have something left. Tolbert is a nice RB5 even if Williams stays. If Williams leaves it's even better. Jones, Felix DAL RB I have a weakness for Felix, and apparently there's no cure. He's probably been my costliest mistake in FF overall. Most of my big misses I didn't pay anything for, but this one has not always been cheap.-------------------------------------------------------Johnson, Andre HOU WRWilliams, Mike TBB WR Solid 1-2 here. Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR (Q)Burleson, Nate DET WRWashington, Nate TEN? WRPatton, Quinton ??? WR ®Simson, Jerome MIN WR My season probably turns on these five WRs. Holmes, Burleson, Washington and Patton are all basically unknowns for 2013. If Holmes is healthy, Burleson keeps his old role with Young's implosion, Washington lands on his feet in TEN or elsewhere I'm probably pretty solid. If not, not.-------------------------------------------Celek, Brent PHI TEGresham, Jermaine CIN TE Glad to get Gresham as TE#9 and Celek is a strong TE2.----------------------------------------------------------------------------Crosby, Mason GBP PKNugent, Mike CIN PK Crosby had a bad year and missed a lot of FGs, but Ks have a lot of seasonal randomness and he should return to form. At PK14 he was low risk. Was also pretty surprised to get Nugent as PK26. Did his re-signing with the Bengals slip under the radar?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------49ers, San Francisco SFO DefPanthers, Carolina CAR Def One good, bad.--------------------- Overall, a solid top two at every position, but the depth is mostly swing for the fences. A lot of things could go wrong.ETA: other opinions welcome!
You have a LOT more faith in mendenhall and the ARI running game than I do. I see an RBBC with williams, and not a very big rushing pie to split up between them. 6 games against SF/SEA/STL too.

I want to believe Williams will get cut, but all outward signs point to them keeping him. I do like Tolbert as a late pick b/c of receptions & GL work

You need Holmes to come through and Patton to land in a good spot. Burleson and Washington are looking irrelevant and Simpson is a total roll of the dice.

Have a feeling Celek is in for a greatly reduced # of targets with Casey in town.

You can go deep with some breaks, but you absolutely can not afford an injury to Martin or Andre Johnson. Not very much upside built into this team until DeAngelo gets cut and starts somewhere else

I'm afraid you made an argument to not go QB @ 1.16. If Brees only gives you a 1.5 PPG edge over a 5th/7th combo, that's not buying enough advantage at your first round pick. I bet if you compare at other positions, the edge will be a lot bigger
Just to be clear: That 1.5 PPG advantage isn't from Brees and Flynn, or any other mid-tier QB2. Or even Brees and Sanchez. It's Brees, all by himself, with no backup plan and a big fat zero on the bye week.

If Flynn manages even Sam Bradford-in-2012-level production - not a huge stretch IMO - that 1.5 PPG becomes something more like 4 PPG. You have to go from RB11 (what was available at 1.16) all the way down to RB27 to find a similar gap at that position. I daresay I'm fairly confident Gore manages a top-27 finish this year.

I think Gore was a great pick and he should provide good return on 4.1, but you needed another RB pick in your first 6. Turner and Ellington were actually good late shots in the dark (love Ellington), but Moreno was probably a shank of a pick with safer, better options on the board. Just don't see the upside there.

WR should be a strength, and it better be. Alexander was probably unnecessary with Marshall and Vjax in tow. should have been an RB pick
I actually agree with you here. Full disclosure: I have a man-crush on DX and think top-15 production out of him this year is not out of the realm of possibility. Having said that, I was planning to go TE-RB at the 5/6 turn, but when I saw what was left - Bradshaw, Ingram, D-WIll, Vereen - I couldn't pass up Alexander and taking a chance on the RB's I thought would be left at 7/8. And I actually think you might be higher on my RBs than I am - I think Ellington represents fantastic value where I expect him to go in dynasty, but I'm not sold on his value in redraft.

Pitta and Miller is strong, but, I think you could have gotten decent bang for your buck at TE2 for 5-7 rounds after the 8th. again would have liked an RB pick instead.

Think you got the #1 D/ST at #3
Thanks, and agree with this as well. Personally I really liked 16 of my 20 picks, but my 7/8 and 9/10 turns were just so awful that I quite possibly deserve to go out early based on those alone. If Pitta puts up the kind of production I'm expecting him to, then Heath was a big risk for a relatively small reward at 8.01, and Moreno was (as I've mentioned earlier) a flat-out mistake. I'd feel a lot better about my team if 8.01 and 9.16 had been F-Jax and Fleener instead of Miller and Moreno.

Manning, Peyton DEN QB

Palmer, Carson ARI QB

---------------------------------------------------------

Martin, Doug TBB RB

Mendenhall, Rashard ARI RB

Williams, DeAngelo CAR RB

Tolbert, Mike CAR RB

Jones, Felix DAL RB

-------------------------------------------------------

Johnson, Andre HOU WR

Williams, Mike TBB WR

Holmes, Santonio NYJ WR (Q)

Burleson, Nate DET WR

Washington, Nate TEN? WR

Patton, Quinton ??? WR ®

Simson, Jerome MIN WR

-------------------------------------------

Celek, Brent PHI TE

Gresham, Jermaine CIN TE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crosby, Mason GBP PK

Nugent, Mike CIN PK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers, San Francisco SFO Def

Panthers, Carolina CAR Def

---------------------

Overall, a solid top two at every position, but the depth is mostly swing for the fences. A lot of things could go wrong.

ETA: other opinions welcome!
Being solid at the top 2 with questionable depth is par for the course in a 16-team league.

Great QB combo. Manning + Welker should be interesting and Palmer should be a strong QB2 coming at a weak QB2 price.

I am well documented to believe Mendenhall = JAG, but we are in the same camp on DeAngelo. His cap hit is just too great for a semi-intelligent GM to accept. Felix was probably a good, cheap gamble.

I'm not a big Mike Williams fan, so I don't know that he's really a solid #2, but AJ is definitely a solid #1. No reason he won't hit 100 rec again. The rest of the guys don't really stand out, but Simpson was a great upside pick. Holmes is probably underrated after last year.

Celek has been underrated his whole career but with the money they're paying Casey, I'm going to avoid him this year. Gresham should be decent although I can't get over how slow he looks.

2 starting kickers and 2 defenses - check. I don't worry a lot about these. Quite a bit of variation each year and probably not going to make a difference as long as you have two.

Overall, I feel like you should be stronger at WR or RB given how late you got your TEs. Looking at your team, I can't figure out who you took in the 3rd round. Was it Manning?

Overall, I feel like you should be stronger at WR or RB given how late you got your TEs. Looking at your team, I can't figure out who you took in the 3rd round. Was it Manning?
Yeah... 3.05, #37, QB4. Had planned to wait a long time for QBs since I like the QB14-18 range a lot, but didn't like my choices at RB/WR/TE there.

I don't like Mike Williams either, but he was WR24 in ppg last year and (AFAIK) his situation hasn't really changed at all. Drafted him as WR38.

No real quibbles with you or Sig overall though. So many unknowns this early that it's easy to be wrong about players. And I basically drafted guys who've outproduced where I drafted them in the past, but whose current situations are totally up in the air (Felix, DeAngelo, Nate Washington, Burleson, Holmes -- lots and lots of ?? there). Seems like for the most part if you can play in the NFL some team's going to put you to use. At least that's the gamble I took.

No doubt MW was value at WR38 - I was just saying I wouldn't call him solid. His value lies strongly in his TDs. I expect his TDs and ypr to dip a bit next year, as do most people given his WR38 price tag. But a very minor disagreement. You definitely succeeded in drafting guys who will outproduce their draft spot. Holmes doesn't have crazy upside, but a WR30 finish for WR50 price is a good building block in these best ball leagues. Burleson is the same type guy. I wouldn't draft him in a normal league, but he's a safety blanket in these best ball leagues when your other players have dud games.

If DeAngelo goes to Denver... steal of the draft.

Oh, but wait, it gets better! My complete team, with bye weeks:

QB:1.16 Drew Brees, NO (QB2) - 710.01 Matt Flynn, OAK (QB23) - 7
Code:
RB:4.01 Frank Gore, SF (RB22)       - 97.16 Mikel Leshoure, DET (RB36)  - 9 9.16 Knowshon Moreno, DEN (RB45) - 9 13.16 LaMichael James, SF (RB64) - 9 14.01 Andre Ellington, ROOK (RB65) ?17.16 Michael Turner, FA (RB76)  - ?
Code:
WR:2.01 Brandon Marshall, CHI (WR3) - 83.16 Vincent Jackson, TB (WR15)  - 56.01 Danario Alexander, SD (WR31)- 811.16 Darrius Heyward-Bey, IND (WR66) - 816.01 Andrew Hawkins, CIN (WR85) - 1220.01 Jason Avant, PHI (WR97)    - 12
Code:
TE:5.16 Dennis Pitta, BAL (TE10) - 8 8.01 Heath Miller, PIT (TE16) - 5
Code:
ST:15.16 Justin Tucker, BAL (K7) - 819.16 Dan Carpenter, MIA (K29)- 612.01 Broncos, DEN (D3)       - 918.01 Vikings, MIN (D22)      - 5
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think it's a pretty safe bet that I will not be taking home the PDSL3 title this season.

Code:
RB:4.01 Frank Gore, SF (RB22)       - 97.16 Mikel Leshoure, DET (RB36)  - 9 9.16 Knowshon Moreno, DEN (RB45) - 9 13.16 LaMichael James, SF (RB64) - 9 14.01 Andre Ellington, ROOK (RB65) ?17.16 Michael Turner, FA (RB76)  - ?
Code:
WR:2.01 Brandon Marshall, CHI (WR3) - 83.16 Vincent Jackson, TB (WR15)  - 56.01 Danario Alexander, SD (WR31)- 811.16 Darrius Heyward-Bey, IND (WR66) - 816.01 Andrew Hawkins, CIN (WR85) - 1220.01 Jason Avant, PHI (WR97)    - 12
Code:
Code:
ST:15.16 Justin Tucker, BAL (K7) - 819.16 Dan Carpenter, MIA (K29)- 612.01 Broncos, DEN (D3)       - 918.01 Vikings, MIN (D22)      - 5

I think it's a pretty safe bet that I will not be taking home the PDSL3 title this season.
Look at the bright side, your kickers don't share the same bye week. :unsure:

Code:
Code:
Code:
Code:

Look at the bright side, your kickers don't share the same bye week. :unsure:
and you wil be a ####### BEAST for about 7 weeks...... :lol:

maybe 8 if you slide by week 7......

and don't forget immunity which would be nice for you to win in week 6, 7, or 8

Celek, Brent PHI TEGresham, Jermaine CIN TE Glad to get Gresham as TE#9 and Celek is a strong TE2.
Tough draft for your TEs. :topcat: Don't think anyone would have predicted that.
I forgot about this!

I think people are misreading the short-term situation though. IMO Eifert means the Bengals go with two TEs a lot more, and one less WR. I do think that Eifert makes it less likely the Bengals re-sign Gresham after 2014, but I don't expect it to hurt Gresham all that much this year.

Celek's stock is in the trash though. First Casey, now Ertz.

Glad that Bloom survived until week 5 with no TE because he's the only one I can realistically hope to outscore this week. (Neither of us will get any points at QB.)

Users who are viewing this thread