What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (2 Viewers)

Have a sneaky suspicion that Lamar breaks out this week going for 15-20, then goes forward as a solid RB2. Coming off the bye, I'm expecting the coaches to adjust the game plan, getting him 15+ touches per game moving forward.

I just can't do it. Miller needs to show me some goods before I willingly put him in my lineup again. It would also help if the Dolphins organization as a whole showed that they are changing their philosophy away from the one dimensional pass happy offense that has been the focus for the past three games.

Given the choice today between Miller, DeAngelo, and Edelman for my flex spot... I'm going D-Will.

Starting him over CJ0.75K, L.Bell, and Z.Stacy. None of them are terribly exciting, I know, but I really feel good about Miller this week. This could be his sink or swim day for me, but I just figure he's coming off a game where he received a significant majority of the snaps, the team is coming off a bye, the match-up is good, and there has been a lot of chatter out of Miami about the need to run the ball better. Thomas certainly isn't going to be the catalyst to that taking place, so I'm giving Miller one more shot.

A glutton for punishment, I know....

My love affair with Lamar miller has officially come to an end and I have returned to reality.

To the bench you go, son. Permanently until the Miami coaches dedicate to the run and to miller Zac Stacy is a better option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.......it's a shame. Lot's of forces going against him right now.

Lousy OL

Lack of commitment to get him the ball

It's puzzling. He busts a 30 yarder and almost goes to the house....and I think he got 2- more carries the rest of the game....and all from the shotgun.

This coaching staff.....is showing their true colors over the last 3 games. And this OL is truly garbage.

Kid has a ton of talent...I still believe is a very explosive player, and his situation stinks.

He is un-startable for sure.

I still believe in him.....but the coaching staff does not seem to agree.....and if they think they can win handing the ball to Daniel Thomas.....they are going to lose a lot more games this season. He can't give you any big play potential at all....and can't covert short yardage for ####.

I didn't catch the game, but based on the box score alone it seems kind of unfair to rip the coaching staff for using Thomas yesterday -- from his numbers it would appear that he was running well yesterday.

PPR:

Droppable in redraft.

The only encouraging part is he's playing more 3rd downs. Downside Miami is going to ride Tannehill's arm, backs used more for blocking (not receiving) and isn't going to see much goalline work. Thomas, while not the athlete Miller is, is much more physical in the tackles.

PPR:

Droppable in redraft.

The only encouraging part is he's playing more 3rd downs. Downside Miami is going to ride Tannehill's arm, backs used more for blocking (not receiving) and he's not guaranteed goalline work.
Starting him this week due to byes.

Not too excited about it.

nobody wanted to believe Miami when they said this would be an even timeshare. Miller definitely has more burst but Thomas runs tougher.

Just re-watched the game. Thomas started, but they pretty much rotate every series and sometimes within a series. Can't really say there's clearly defined roles. They both got carries in the red zone and near the goal line (both did nothing much with them). Both are in on obvious passing plays. Miller was in on the final drive except for the last hail mary play. Snap counts give slight edge to Miller. All I took from the game is that Tannehill didn't play very well and the running game is pretty blah. Miller goes out on routes and was targeted several times. At this point with bye weeks, if you have to start him (I am in 2 leagues), it's hope he breaks one time.

Just re-watched the game. Thomas started, but they pretty much rotate every series and sometimes within a series. Can't really say there's clearly defined roles. They both got carries in the red zone and near the goal line (both did nothing much with them). Both are in on obvious passing plays. Miller was in on the final drive except for the last hail mary play. Snap counts give slight edge to Miller. All I took from the game is that Tannehill didn't play very well and the running game is pretty blah. Miller goes out on routes and was targeted several times. At this point with bye weeks, if you have to start him (I am in 2 leagues), it's hope he breaks one time.
Watched him again too... he looked pretty damn good to me. I just wish Daniel Thomas would fall off the face of the earth or at least off of the Dolphins roster.

Fantasy speaking, it was pretty meh, but there were a couple of things that really stuck out to me statistically:

• 38 of his 43 yards rushing came after contact, which was his highest YAC of the season.
  • His lone reception for 4 yards was caught behind the LOS, he was met immediately and took it 4 yards... 7 YAC.
  • He had 5 missed tackles which was the highest of the season. To put this into perspective... in the previous 5 games this year, he only had 1 missed tackle.
Overall it was a pretty impressive game... what does it mean for his prospects ROS? Probably squat, because this team refuses to use him more. Frustrating to say the least... but the future is bright IMO. 22 years old on an up and coming team... I'm looking to buy in dynasty.

Good grief, there are some serious Miller fan-boys in this thread. Look, I do not argue that he has shown flashes, but geez, the dude is the #38 RB in ppr. That is less that 8 ppg. In redraft that just aint gonna cut it for even a #2 RB option. Fortunately I have other options so until I see consistent production he will sit.

I didn't catch the game, but based on the box score alone it seems kind of unfair to rip the coaching staff for using Thomas yesterday -- from his numbers it would appear that he was running well yesterday.
I am ripping this coaching staff...overall.

They stink.

Period.

We are going nowhere.

Patriots have the 31st ranked rushing defense.

So we have that going for us this week.

Just got to hope Miller can do some damage with 9 touches.

Good point about the matchup. The Jets were able to beat the Pats by handing the ball to Ivory 30+ times. Shouldn't the Phins look to copy that gameplan? If Miller gets half of that 15-17 touches, he makes for a good flex?

As I am typing this, I am considering deleting.....I have no confidence in Miller :bag:

I am ripping this coaching staff...overall.They stink.

Period.

We are going nowhere.
Can't speak with authority on the Dolphins, as I don't really follow them closely, but from the outside looking in, they appear to be moving in the right direction. A .500 record during a pretty complete overhaul isn't exactly what I'd call a complete failure. If the fast start had visions of a division title dancing in your head, your expectations might have been too high IMO. This team is definitely in the "work in progress" category.

Good point about the matchup. The Jets were able to beat the Pats by handing the ball to Ivory 30+ times. Shouldn't the Phins look to copy that gameplan? If Miller gets half of that 15-17 touches, he makes for a good flex?

As I am typing this, I am considering deleting.....I have no confidence in Miller :bag:
Agreed. I'm starting him out if necessity this week.

Every time he's been in my lineup this year he's put up a fraction of a point.

Not holding my breath, but trying to find some information that makes me feel more comfortable about it.

I have to start Miller this week; no other options. Hopefully Miami's coaches get their heads out of their asses and start utilizing him more. I watched last week against the Bills and the MIA coaching staff seems pretty damn clueless. Just when it looked he was going to start humming along after his 30 yard scamper, he pretty much gets benched.

He is currently 12th in the NFL with 4.31 ypc. I don't understand why they keep Thomas so involved in the gameplan?? Miller is much more explosive and should be seeing more then 10 total touches (9 rush/1 rec). They are going against a NE defense without Wilfork that is allowing 157 yards rushing a game; if they can't figure out away to make things happen this week, I am giving up hope. I really, really need him to put up a decent game this week... nothing crazy but 15 points or so would hit the spot.

I have to start Miller this week; no other options. Hopefully Miami's coaches get their heads out of their asses and start utilizing him more. I watched last week against the Bills and the MIA coaching staff seems pretty damn clueless. Just when it looked he was going to start humming along after his 30 yard scamper, he pretty much gets benched.

He is currently 12th in the NFL with 4.31 ypc. I don't understand why they keep Thomas so involved in the gameplan?? Miller is much more explosive and should be seeing more then 10 total touches (9 rush/1 rec). They are going against a NE defense without Wilfork that is allowing 157 yards rushing a game; if they can't figure out away to make things happen this week, I am giving up hope. I really, really need him to put up a decent game this week... nothing crazy but 15 points or so would hit the spot.
Not every RB in the NFL is well suited for a heavy workload.

I agree but:

Those are his attempts the last 4 games. I think he should be able to handle a larger workload then a little over 7 carries per game. He's averaging 4.3 yards a carry this season so it's not like he's been atrocious with the ball in his hands.

Over that 4 week span, he only has 3 receptions as well. Less then 1 per game. With their very shaky line play and defenses coming hard after Tannehill, I feel like Miller could be dynamite in the screen game. Clabo and Martin have been questionable the last couple weeks but I know Martin has some good legs on him to get up field on screen passes. Make those defenses pay for their aggressiveness with screen passes to Miller and Wallace.

not using him in the passing game and getting him in open space is super curious. gotta wonder what the coaches think he lacks to disqualify such usage. maybe he has michael turner hands.

not using him in the passing game and getting him in open space is super curious. gotta wonder what the coaches think he lacks to disqualify such usage. maybe he has michael turner hands.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think they are both African American.

:confused:

I am ripping this coaching staff...overall.They stink.

Period.

We are going nowhere.
Can't speak with authority on the Dolphins, as I don't really follow them closely, but from the outside looking in, they appear to be moving in the right direction. A .500 record during a pretty complete overhaul isn't exactly what I'd call a complete failure. If the fast start had visions of a division title dancing in your head, your expectations might have been too high IMO. This team is definitely in the "work in progress" category.
Brother they have been a work in progress going on 15 plus years.

You have to understand one thing about me. I have been a Dolphin fan since I can walk and talk. I have seen greatness. I watched Marino's entire career.

I remember the days of knowing every Sunday.....regardless of our lousy defense....and no running game....we had a chance to win every game because of #13.

After Jimmy Johnson came in...it has been one massive decline....and it's still going.

We are 3-3 inspite of a 3-0 start. Game one.....an ugly ugly win vs a below average Browns team. A quality win on the road vs a good Colts team. Then...IMO a gift vs the Falcons....who are proving they are not as good as last season (yes injuries have killed them).

The only shining moment for me was Tannehills brilliant drive to win the Falcons game and his solid performance vs the Colts. Everything else has been the same lousy crappy gameplay we have seen for 15 plus years.

This staff is proving more and more each week they are lousy game planners, and Philbin is a lousy game day coach.

The talent has improved....I am encouraged by our defense, I like some of the pieces on offense (yet they don't use Lamar Miller nearly enough nor try to get him the ball more when he clearly is a game breaker and playmaker when given his limited work). But this coaching staff is not the answer.

It;s just becoming more and more evident on this 3 game losing streak. And if they go in and beat the Patriots tomorrow.....I will seriously be in shock.

Defensively we can stay in the game......but if they again think giving Daniel Thomas 12-15 carries will win this game....they are clueless. He can't do anything other then plod and try to fall forward. He has zero big play ability.....zero.

They need to get Miller going early, let him get into the flow of the game....he can rip off some huge runs....shorten the field for Tannehill. They need to roll Tannehill out of the pocket....get him on the run. He has great feet....let him use his feet. Let him tuck and run if he needs to.

It seems to me either they coaching staff is telling Tannehill not to scramble.....or Tannehill is just laser locked and has no sense of pressure or the internal clock needed to be a successful QB.

No more excuses. THis team needs to get going on offense. For the last three weeks....they have been pure garbage. Our OL is an abortion. A complete abortion. So all this really does not matter if they can't block.

I agree but:

Those are his attempts the last 4 games. I think he should be able to handle a larger workload then a little over 7 carries per game. He's averaging 4.3 yards a carry this season so it's not like he's been atrocious with the ball in his hands.

Over that 4 week span, he only has 3 receptions as well. Less then 1 per game. With their very shaky line play and defenses coming hard after Tannehill, I feel like Miller could be dynamite in the screen game. Clabo and Martin have been questionable the last couple weeks but I know Martin has some good legs on him to get up field on screen passes. Make those defenses pay for their aggressiveness with screen passes to Miller and Wallace.
Unfortunately we are without a doubt the worst screen team in the league.

Just downright atrocious. We could not even get Reggie Bush going in the passing game. Reggie was completely mis used during his time here.....yet was still able to put up decent numbers. Look at how Detroit uses him.....night and day.

And Millers lack of touches is one of the biggest mysteries in the NFL right now. He is clearly a better back than Thomas......but we know the story so far this season. As his touches go down....we lose 3 in a row. There is a lot of forces at work during the losing streak (which I expect to continue this week in NE) most of all the horrid OL play. It all starts right there.

So it does not matter if they do not get better......and judging the season....they have only gotten worse.

I agree but:

Unfortunately we are without a doubt the worst screen team in the league.Just downright atrocious. We could not even get Reggie Bush going in the passing game. Reggie was completely mis used during his time here.....yet was still able to put up decent numbers. Look at how Detroit uses him.....night and day.

And Millers lack of touches is one of the biggest mysteries in the NFL right now. He is clearly a better back than Thomas......but we know the story so far this season. As his touches go down....we lose 3 in a row. There is a lot of forces at work during the losing streak (which I expect to continue this week in NE) most of all the horrid OL play. It all starts right there.

So it does not matter if they do not get better......and judging the season....they have only gotten worse.
I have no proof of this, but my sneaking suspicion is that the directive to play Thomas is coming from Jeff Ireland who wasted a 2nd rd pick on him.

with doug martin hurt and cj2k on bye, im starting zac stacy and peyton hillis over this guy in ppr. He's staying in my bench until either I drop him or dthomas is done.

I agree but:

Unfortunately we are without a doubt the worst screen team in the league.Just downright atrocious. We could not even get Reggie Bush going in the passing game. Reggie was completely mis used during his time here.....yet was still able to put up decent numbers. Look at how Detroit uses him.....night and day.

I have no proof of this, but my sneaking suspicion is that the directive to play Thomas is coming from Jeff Ireland who wasted a 2nd rd pick on him.
he drafted lamar miller too.

Sherman's play calling at Texas A & M was one of the reasons he was fired. The offense would be up big leads in the first half and Sherman would become very conservative in the 2nd half. They lost 5 - 6 games like that.

Miami is wasting both Miller and Wallace.

Pittsburgh lined Wallace up all over the formation while Miami puts him on the right side almost all the time. Why did they even sign him ?

I agree but:

he drafted lamar miller too.
In the 4th round. Thomas was a 2nd rd pick over players like Cobb, Ridley, Demarco, etc. and Ireland has been panned for terrible drafts since his arrival in Miami.

Have him going in 3 leagues as my flex........this is the week to show something against a very weak and vunerable Patriots run defense.

Let's go Lamar.....time to rip off some huge runs and show it.

I wish I had the confidence in him to start him this week. I've got Zac Stacy in my flex over miller. Stacy has Hellen Clemens at qb and is playing Seattle. That should tell you all you need to know about my current confidence level in miller as a fantasy option. So sad. My 2nd rd pick.

I wish I had the confidence in him to start him this week. I've got Zac Stacy in my flex over miller. Stacy has Hellen Clemens at qb and is playing Seattle. That should tell you all you need to know about my current confidence level in miller as a fantasy option. So sad. My 2nd rd pick.
Ouch. Man thats tough. I took him in round 4 of my redraft. I drafted him in the middle of the 2nd round in my 3 dynasty leagues last year.

I took T.Rich in round one of my redraft though......and my goodness....what a disaster so far.

Have him going in 3 leagues as my flex........this is the week to show something against a very weak and vunerable Patriots run defense.

Let's go Lamar.....time to rip off some huge runs and show it.
7 carries for 51 yards sounds about right for today, yes? :lol:

Lamar Miller is making his first start for me this year. My bags are packed for a long ride on the hype-train, choo-choo! All aboard, next stop fantasy supremacy....hello? Anyone here?

Users who are viewing this thread