What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (2 Viewers)

The main problem, again, is that he's splitting time with a RB who pass protects well and rarely fumbles, yet offers little else. But that formula is producing wins, so there's nothing we can do about it.

I started GIO over Ellington this week :cry: .... that is a microcosm of my season so it's pretty obvious and basically goes without saying that was gonna happen... Play ellington vs sea bench him vs atl....

The Bengals win by 40.... and Gio has 27 total yards.

:lmao:

Unstartable.
BGE didn't have much more. Weird game, they got up so big so fast, 3 def TDs. Went into the game looking to wing it, i don't think they had much intention of running it against the Jets D. He's a rookie in a timeshare. He'll have a lot of up and downs.

Marvin Lewis simply loves BJGE in key spots. Anytime he needs 2 yards, Ellis is out there, every time they sniff the goal line, Ellis is out there. Regardless of the fact that Ellis was repeatedly stuffed at the line today Lewis kept throwing him out there.

Then the Bengals got up huge and threw in the third string RB as they are on a short week (they play Thursday).

It's not for a lack of talent, but I can't see Gio doing much given the situation.

The Bengals win by 40.... and Gio has 27 total yards.

:lmao:

Unstartable.
BGE didn't have much more. Weird game, they got up so big so fast, 3 def TDs. Went into the game looking to wing it, i don't think they had much intention of running it against the Jets D. He's a rookie in a timeshare. He'll have a lot of up and downs.
Total fluke. If people are selling cheap I'm definitely buying. I only needed to see what he did in the Packers game to know he's a long-term buy, even if BJGE is in the way this year. His vision, acceleration are excellent and he was getting most of the red-zone snaps in that game. Maybe he's got to work on pass protection? I'm not sure. But this game was kind of a fluke where they didn't need him. I picture Gio getting more involved against really tough defenses where they need to use him as a Sproles-like player and use mismatches. That wasn't really needed today.

Are you going to poop on Le'veon for only having 24 yards? Hell no. They both have bright futures, but had off days where they were either ineffective or weren't used in the scheme because of game circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ I want to be clear -- I have no issues with his "long-term" prospects. I realize this is a dynasty thread.

But in redraft leagues, in no way is he automatically getting penciled into my lineup anymore.

In re-draft terms he is mucho volatile. Been on my bench most weeks, now I play him two weeks running and he lays eggs.

I think you need to be quite weak at RB in re-draft to get the best out of him by playing him every week in flex or wherever where you will get his good games with the bad. Otherwise, if your trying to pick and choose games, Sod's law will come into full effect

^^^ I want to be clear -- I have no issues with his "long-term" prospects. I realize this is a dynasty thread.

But in redraft leagues, in no way is he automatically getting penciled into my lineup anymore.
Agree, although I am a bit more down on his keeper/dynasty prospects than I was at the beginning of the year, versus say, Lacy.

Despite his one-dimensional game, I see BJGE sticking around for at least another few years. Why not - the team is very successful rotating the two RBs, BJGE is still relatively young, is cheap, and effective for what he is needed for.

This may be a frustrating RBBC for another year or two.

Hold up. I came in here buying the hype in redraft. The thread title sounds like dyno, but aren't most 1.1 dyno picks also considered solid redraft picks as well? The first few pages of this thread promised a late season Gio domination, as lawfirm stepped aside. I feel like a prize sucker :bag:

I thought I bought low, but it turns out I bought closer to the top of his value. :kicksrock:

Had to play him with bye weeks and Murray being out.

Oof...thought Gio and Trent would be good for me this year (Gio as depth)...has not worked out that way.

Thankfully Danny Woodhead has saved me when they are not on bye weeks.

He's barely on the flex radar in non-ppr. Even PPR now , he's a flex play IMO. Until they stop trotting out that plodding talent-less load in BJGE, Gio will only do so much with his 10+ touches

Looks like 2014 is where the value will be for Gio.

2014 and beyond..... he is fodder for now while BJGE plods away. So sad. I think Lewis and Arians are total ball busters and want to play their old fodder bums because they are paying them... BJGE, mendy compared to GIO/Ellington is night/day. Guess they don't want a day job.

He's barely on the flex radar in non-ppr. Even PPR now , he's a flex play IMO. Until they stop trotting out that plodding talent-less load in BJGE, Gio will only do so much with his 10+ touches

That talent-less load is averaging 3.2 YPC vs. Bernard at 3.9 and BJGE has been getting the majority of the short yardage carries which tends to lessen YPC. BJGE isn't as bad as the Gio backers want to admit, which has been the issue with his redraft value all along. He's not going away anytime this year.

That talent-less load is averaging 3.2 YPC vs. Bernard at 3.9 and BJGE has been getting the majority of the short yardage carries which tends to lessen YPC. BJGE isn't as bad as the Gio backers want to admit, which has been the issue with his redraft value all along. He's not going away anytime this year.
Come on, how can u watch BJGE play and not think he's the least talented 'starting' rb in the NFL. If he's not, tell me who that guy is. He has ZERO explosiveness and literally just runs into the pile every carry. If the hole isnt glaring, he does nothing with the rock. Great, he doesnt fumble. I'm sure there are a ton of 3 ypc guys out there who dont fumble.

Come on, how can u watch BJGE play and not think he's the least talented 'starting' rb in the NFL. If he's not, tell me who that guy is. He has ZERO explosiveness and literally just runs into the pile every carry. If the hole isnt glaring, he does nothing with the rock. Great, he doesnt fumble. I'm sure there are a ton of 3 ypc guys out there who dont fumble.
He's also a solid blocker, which shouldn't be discounted in NFL terms. Perhaps that is a weakness for Gio right now.

Also, the team is really playing well, and having a veteran back there like BJGE who understands the various intracacies of the offense, even when not carrying the ball, is important to a guy like Lewis.

It's also important to note that this Cinci team should be and probably is thinking of a deep playoff run. Perhaps the reason they want to keep their rotation going the way it is is because they don't want Gio hitting the "rookie wall" come crunch time. Perhaps they also don't want BJGE run down at the end do the season as well. I'd think Gio is of more concern, though. In short, they care more about winning than you're fantasy team.

It's also important to note that this Cinci team should be and probably is thinking of a deep playoff run. Perhaps the reason they want to keep their rotation going the way it is is because they don't want Gio hitting the "rookie wall" come crunch time. Perhaps they also don't want BJGE run down at the end do the season as well. I'd think Gio is of more concern, though. In short, they care more about winning than you're fantasy team.
So u think playing Green Ellis over Gio helps them win games? Thats laughable. Dalton and this Cincy D has been the reason they're winning games. I can buy the idea they're conserving Gio if he didnt have 72 carries 1/2 way thru the season! haha. And a fresh Green Ellis is terrible, forget a tired one. They're winning all these games sans a running game, and hence thats why Gio is barely startable in fantasy. If they needed any sort of running game thru 8 weeks, he'd have a much bigger role IMO.

So u think playing Green Ellis over Gio helps them win games? Thats laughable. Dalton and this Cincy D has been the reason they're winning games. I can buy the idea they're conserving Gio if he didnt have 72 carries 1/2 way thru the season! haha. And a fresh Green Ellis is terrible, forget a tired one. They're winning all these games sans a running game, and hence thats why Gio is barely startable in fantasy. If they needed any sort of running game thru 8 weeks, he'd have a much bigger role IMO.
Well the only running game they need most weeks is the kind that can make some first downs late, get short yardage, and kill clock. BJGE is very good at that game whether you want to believe it or not. Gio will be more important if they ever get in some more GB-style shootouts. With the defense playing like this though, those could be few and far between.

I have no idea what you're getting at here. Do you think a RB on pace for 142 carries is a lot?

I have no idea what you're getting at here. Do you think a RB on pace for 142 carries is a lot?
No its far from alot. You noted that they may want to prevent Gio from hitting the rookie wall. Gio had 180+ and 240 carries the last 2 years in college, in 10 games!

Again, he's not really being used because there hasnt been a need for him. Its not handling him with kid gloves or this "BJGE adds something to the table" argument.

No its far from alot. You noted that they may want to prevent Gio from hitting the rookie wall. Gio had 180+ and 240 carries the last 2 years in college, in 10 games!

Again, he's not really being used because there hasnt been a need for him. Its not handling him with kid gloves or this "BJGE adds something to the table" argument.
144 carries is no where near a lot. There are already 4 RBs (Lynch will after tonight) who have more carries than that in the NFL. His college carries mean nothing as it relates to the NFL.

You're not understanding me apparently (Jurb). You were the one who suggested they might not want Gio hitting that 'rookie wall'. He could have 100+ carries and its still wouldnt be that much 1/2 way thru the season. That has nothing to do with his limited role. If they were playing from behind, which has been few and far between this season, we'd have seen much more of Gio. Their games have dictated his minimal use. Its not the 'rookie wall' or 'BJGE holds value' angle.

Yea, Gio is strictly RBBC status for PPR leagues this year but that's not a bad deal given his ADP. I don't know why people were expecting anything from the Jets game - Football Outsiders has the Jets as one of the elite defenses both vs. the run and vs. RBs in the passing game. Led me to bench him for McFadden & Ellington...opposing defenses are the #1 factor I look at when I don't have a clear RB1.

You're not understanding me apparently (Jurb). You were the one who suggested they might not want Gio hitting that 'rookie wall'. He could have 100+ carries and its still wouldnt be that much 1/2 way thru the season. That has nothing to do with his limited role. If they were playing from behind, which has been few and far between this season, we'd have seen much more of Gio. Their games have dictated his minimal use. Its not the 'rookie wall' or 'BJGE holds value' angle.
I still don't think so. I think Cinci wants to try and keep their backs fresh late in the year. BJGE isn't as bad as you think. If he was, then I feel like Cinci would ride Gio out of necessity. This will be RBBC regardless of outcome IMO.

Gio has a bright Dynasty future. Especially in PPR Dynasty leagues.... :brush:

Let us not take his ReDraft prospectus, nor his exceedingly poor showing yesterday, too much to heart.

With Moreno on bye next week, I have to start either Gio or Trent. Since I had previously sworn to staple TRich to my bench until he showed me something, I think I have to give Gio one more shot. But man, I don't feel good about it.

, I think I have to give Gio one more shot. But man, I don't feel good about it.
I guess the only hope is that Gio faces the hapless Rams. Maybe he can take one to the house or get some additional work if there is blowout time.

I don't own Gio in any leagues, but there seems to be a lot of overreaction here. The Bengals have a lot of weapons and you can't expect everyone to have a big game each week. It is particularly distorted since Jones had such a big night. Gio will still get looks and should have had a TD yesterday.

I don't own Gio in any leagues, but there seems to be a lot of overreaction here. The Bengals have a lot of weapons and you can't expect everyone to have a big game each week. It is particularly distorted since Jones had such a big night. Gio will still get looks and should have had a TD yesterday.
:rant: :wall:

Can't believe they called that fumbling out of the endzone/touchback. Broke the plane and all that matters according to this Gio owner. :rant:

Can't believe they called that fumbling out of the endzone/touchback. Broke the plane and all that matters according to this Gio owner. :rant:
His knee was down first. The refs got it right after review.

Im willing to bet money had Gio got 3-4 cracks from inside the 1, he would have got in unlike BJGE. Im all for winning guy and putting the best players on the field usually results in more wins then starting inferior players... Last time I checked that's how it goes...

Im willing to bet money had Gio got 3-4 cracks from inside the 1, he would have got in unlike BJGE. Im all for winning guy and putting the best players on the field usually results in more wins then starting inferior players... Last time I checked that's how it goes...
When did BJGE get 3-4 cracks from inside the 1? I know the 4th down stop by the Jets this week included Gio getting the ball once, Dalton passing once, and BJGE getting 2 carries. All of this trying to get a 1st down around the 2 yard line. I am guessing that's the one you're referring to?

Had to play him with bye weeks and Murray being out.

Oof...thought Gio and Trent would be good for me this year (Gio as depth)...has not worked out that way.

Thankfully Danny Woodhead has saved me when they are not on bye weeks.
I think this statement is what may drive me to quit playing FF. lol.

Geez, when you look around the landscape of ff and you see all the Spiller, TRICH, wilson, Martin, etc owners getting kiiled week in and week out by the guy who has woodhead and Moreno types, you know you stopped at the wrong parallel universe.

Agree, although I am a bit more down on his keeper/dynasty prospects than I was at the beginning of the year, versus say, Lacy.

Despite his one-dimensional game, I see BJGE sticking around for at least another few years. Why not - the team is very successful rotating the two RBs, BJGE is still relatively young, is cheap, and effective for what he is needed for.
I'll take the under.

They could throw a dart in the late rounds of the draft and find a backup to Gio who is a better player than Green-Ellis.

I'll take the under.

They could throw a dart in the late rounds of the draft and find a backup to Gio who is a better player than Green-Ellis.
Perhaps, but he's relatively cheap labor, not that old, and knows the offense. I can see BJGE's role being scaled back next year if the team falls short this year, but I don't see him being kicked to the curb.

, I think I have to give Gio one more shot. But man, I don't feel good about it.
I guess the only hope is that Gio faces the hapless Rams. Maybe he can take one to the house or get some additional work if there is blowout time.
Well, considering the Bengals face the NFC Central this year, that's clearly not going to happen (although Trent does play them; I'm hoping he does well enough against Houston this week for me to feel comfortable starting him against the Rams the following week).

His knee was down first. The refs got it right after review.
Seriously. You must have been really mad not to notice that a) the call was overturned and b) the Bengals kept the ball.

Well, considering the Bengals face the NFC Central this year, that's clearly not going to happen
My bad - they are playing the Dolphins on Thurs. Was thinking of the Rams based on tonight's MNF game.

Forget what I said - expect a grind it out type of game on Thurs night with a healthy dose of BJGE.

Because he shat the bed for me this week while I needed him because of byes I have full confidence that he'll score 20+ in my PPR on Thursday

think gio owners are overreacting. he spoiled us earlier in the year with some big outputs. you should be happy that he has been able to get 12+ touches a game on average. it was never realistic for him to supplant benjarvus, esp not this year.

and those thinking the bengals will move on from benjarvus in the next few years are almost certainly wrong. this franchise does not operate like that. benjarvus is signed for 2 more years at like 2m per. no way they get rid of him and given this staffs history of loyalty to vets, he will likely continue to receive plenty of touches.

Alright, let's try this one more time. :popcorn:

I feel pretty good about this matchup, but if he craps the bed again he is *OFFICIALLY* out of my circle of trust.

I really want to play him, but concerned about having to sit on a 8-35-0, 4-20-0 type stat line until Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread