What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

It's obvious to me that Cincy staff is trying to keep Gio fresh throughout his first year. He's not going to get a lot of garbage time looks making him a tough start.

Looks like you're basically playing a TD game at this point -- if he can score from 10-20 yards out, it'll be a good week. If not, he is a 3-6 pts kind of guy.

It's obvious to me that Cincy staff is trying to keep Gio fresh throughout his first year. He's not going to get a lot of garbage time looks making him a tough start.

Looks like you're basically playing a TD game at this point -- if he can score from 10-20 yards out, it'll be a good week. If not, he is a 3-6 pts kind of guy.
yep sorry to say it's sad that the bengals can't give him a few more touches... I remember 3 straight drives the Bungals had BJGE in instead of GIO. Gross underuse isn't smart and is doing nothing to help them. If they want to be ELITE, the kid has to be integrated into the offense more. He is 208 lbs and has had no problems thus far, so their really is no excuse for 15-20 touches and more gl time, as it seems they have taken him off that even lately. He is not a small guy and seems to get the game from what I see.. A bad break last week where he had a TD taken back and called at the 1, has made some good blocks picking up blitzes also. I really don't know what the problem is beside Blind loyalty to plodder BJGE.

think gio owners are overreacting. he spoiled us earlier in the year with some big outputs. you should be happy that he has been able to get 12+ touches a game on average. it was never realistic for him to supplant benjarvus, esp not this year.

and those thinking the bengals will move on from benjarvus in the next few years are almost certainly wrong. this franchise does not operate like that. benjarvus is signed for 2 more years at like 2m per. no way they get rid of him and given this staffs history of loyalty to vets, he will likely continue to receive plenty of touches.
unfortunately you are looking to be right. I so wish you were wrong but your not. :bs:

Last edited by a moderator:

yep sorry to say it's sad that the bengals can't give him a few more touches... I remember 3 straight drives the Bungals had BJGE in instead of GIO. Gross underuse isn't smart and is doing nothing to help them. If they want to be ELITE, the kid has to be integrated into the offense more. He is 208 lbs and has had no problems thus far, so their really is no excuse for 15-20 touches and more gl time, as it seems they have taken him off that even lately. He is not a small guy and seems to get the game from what I see.. A bad break last week where he had a TD taken back and called at the 1, has made some good blocks picking up blitzes also. I really don't know what the problem is beside Blind loyalty to plodder BJGE.
Unfortunately for FF purposes, Marvin seems to be trying to prevent Gio from hitting the rookie wall, and most importantly, the team is winning. Can't argue with his success.

BJGE may be a ploddder, but he's still moving the chains for the most part with his 3.2 YPC. And protecting Dalton.

I have owned BJGE from the start of the season in one league, and just recently acquired Gio in another. I never understood the BJGE hate until now that the shoe is on the other foot.

BJGE himself is unstartable except as a desperation bye week filler, and in turn makes Gio a bench player. Someone please go whack his knee with a tire iron!

:wall:

Well, gents, it's been nice knowing you, but I just hopped off the train. Traded him and TRich for Ray Rice. I still like him long-term, but Law Firm is going to continue to depress his value for the rest of this season at least. Classic case of what's good for an NFL team is bad for a fantasy one.

Well, gents, it's been nice knowing you, but I just hopped off the train. Traded him and TRich for Ray Rice. I still like him long-term, but Law Firm is going to continue to depress his value for the rest of this season at least. Classic case of what's good for an NFL team is bad for a fantasy one.
Was this dynasty? If so, you're going to regret that BIG TIME. Rice is not the guy you pay that premium for right now. I know lots of Gio owners who wouldn't trade him straight up for Rice. And that's not even including Trent, and opinions vary widely on him.

This is what has been so frustrating. It's like Marvin and Gruden can't see what the rest of us see.

But if they don't see it by now, they should choose another profession.

I really think if we knew it was his show going into next year. 3 down back, all situations, he would be my rb1

Fn wish I had him.

@adamlevitan: Gio v BJGE reminds of Ray Rice vs. McGahee. In 2008, Rice got 107 carries as a rookie. McGahee got 170. In 2009, Rice 254, McGahee 109.

Was this dynasty? If so, you're going to regret that BIG TIME. Rice is not the guy you pay that premium for right now. I know lots of Gio owners who wouldn't trade him straight up for Rice. And that's not even including Trent, and opinions vary widely on him.
Nope, redraft. Agree it wouldn't have made sense in dynasty. For me, Gio was only going to be a bye-week fill-in behind Moreno/Lacy. Rice will be the same thing unless he goes back to being Ray Rice. Also, if I hadn't made a 2-for-1 trade, I would have had to drop Steve Smith or Hilton.

I like Bernard a lot, and he could easily end up outscoring Rice the second half of the season (just as he did in the first half). I just took a calculated risk on the higher upside.

Nope, redraft. Agree it wouldn't have made sense in dynasty. For me, Gio was only going to be a bye-week fill-in behind Moreno/Lacy. Rice will be the same thing unless he goes back to being Ray Rice. Also, if I hadn't made a 2-for-1 trade, I would have had to drop Steve Smith or Hilton.

I like Bernard a lot, and he could easily end up outscoring Rice the second half of the season (just as he did in the first half). I just took a calculated risk on the higher upside.
Its not a bad redraft move if you think Rice is going to get back no trap. It would be awful in dynasty, obviously.

I love to pile on when one of my guys blows up right after someone does something really stupid. Go Gio.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/274881/giovani-bernard-leaves-game-with-rib-injury

Giovani Bernard was forced from Thursday night's Week 9 game with a rib injury.

Bernard was injured late in the fourth quarter and had to be taken to the locker room. He totaled 104 yards on 13 touches and two touchdowns before exiting, including an impressive 35-yard score to tie the game in the second half. The severity of the injury isn't yet known. Bernard will likely undergo further tests before the Bengals provide an update on his status.

He is just too small and brittle to handle the full load. Much more of a 3rd down back.
excellent point.

no RB that was 208 lbs. has ever succeeded as a feature RB in NFL history.
He was 202 at the combine. While there are successful backs that are that small they are the exception......not the rule.
he is listed at 5'9", 208 lbs.

maybe he is not as small as you thought he was.

charles is 200 lbs.

mccoy 208 and taller.

your beloved lynch is 5'11" 215, so seven lbs heavier, but two inches taller, similarly compact build.

bush 6'0" 203.

all in top 10?

He is just too small and brittle to handle the full load. Much more of a 3rd down back.
excellent point.

no RB that was 208 lbs. has ever succeeded as a feature RB in NFL history.
He was 202 at the combine. While there are successful backs that are that small they are the exception......not the rule.
successful back that are larger are an exception too. thing is, being a successful every down back is an exception. they dont come around very often. and size doesnt seem to matter much when you get above 200 or so lbs.

in order NFL career rushing leaders

1) emmitt smith 5'9" 210 lbs.

2) walter payton 5'10" 200 lbs.

3) barry sanders 5'8" 203 lbs.

4) curtis martin 5'11" 210 lbs.

8) tony dorsett 5'11" 192 lbs.

10) marshall faulk 5'10" 211 lbs

wow, you were right ITS, it is extremely rare for RBs around 208 lbs to have success in the NFL (60% of the top 10).

* gio may not be tall, but he is put together like a brick outhouse.

Small or not this offense needs him on the field. Terrible without him out there tonight. He was the offense.

in order NFL career rushing leaders

1) emmitt smith 5'9" 210 lbs.

2) walter payton 5'10" 200 lbs.

3) barry sanders 5'8" 203 lbs.

4) curtis martin 5'11" 210 lbs.

8) tony dorsett 5'11" 192 lbs.

10) marshall faulk 5'10" 211 lbs

wow, you were right ITS, it is extremely rare for RBs around 208 lbs to have success in the NFL (60% of the top 10).
Don't you do that!

bloom called bernard the love child of ray rice and brian westbrook after the draft (top 100?), no doubt due to their similar physical stature profile, in addition to skill set (ankle breaking open field moves... not just good hands, but ability to run routes like WRs, etc.)...

rice has gained weight since entering the NFL (26 years old), now listed at 5'8" 212 lbs...

gio is only 21, very possible he puts on a few more pounds as he physically matures and developes.

westbrook's wiki listing (don't think he has an active NFL page) was listed at 5'8" 203 lbs, my recollection is he also put on weight later, got to around 208 lbs.

* in the interest of a balanced perspective, rice may have had to overcome this perception initially (too small to be a feature RB, more of a complementary or situational-type), but he quickly demolished those concerns. westbrook probably also, due to lack of opportunity (staley ahead of him at first?), but once he was given more work, he proved up to the physical punishment and rigors of the position.

Users who are viewing this thread