What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (1 Viewer)

DeAndre Hopkins said he played with more pain last season than he had dealt with at any point in his career.

"Last year was tough, not just physically but mentally," Hopkins said. "It's the most banged up I've ever been playing football. I was dealing with serious injuries a lot of people would have sat down for. But we had a good team that depended on me, and I never gave a thought to not playing unless the doctors told me I couldn't." Despite playing through an immense amount of pain, Hopkins still tallied 115/1,572/11 as fantasy's WR4 in '18. Expected to be 100 percent come Week 1, he or Davante Adams are the No. 1 option at receiver across all formats heading into the season.

SOURCE: John McClain on Twitter

Jun 8, 2019, 5:38 PM ET

Texans placed WR DeAndre Hopkins on the active/PUP list.

The issue is presumably Hopkins' shoulder. Speaking last month, Hopkins revealed he had ligaments "torn off the bone" in the Texans' playoff loss to the Colts. The active/PUP is a far less serious matter than the reserve/PUP, as players can be activated at any time. It appears Hopkins will be babied through the early days of camp, but there is zero concern as to his Week 1 status. He remains a safe first-round investment.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 21, 2019, 4:33 PM ET

DeAndre Hopkins caught 8-of-13 targets for 111 yards and two touchdowns in the Texans' Week 1 loss to the Saints Monday night.

Hopkins had some uncharacteristically tough grabs fall to the ground after hitting him in the hands, but he quickly pulled himself together and made some massive grabs as the Texans flirted with a Superdome upset. Hopkins scored touchdowns from two and 16 yards out, catching two of Deshaun Watson's three touchdown passes. Hopkins was being shadowed by CB Marshon Lattimore the entire night but still gave him the business. Things will be just as tough next week against Jalen Ramsey, but Hopkins has obviously worked Ramsey over in the past. He's an obvious top-three WR1.

Sep 9, 2019, 10:57 PM ET

Rib injury I believe is what they are calling it. 

New to having him on a team this year but the site I use said he shows up from time to time on report last few years but always plays. Hopefully that's the case here.

Listed as questionable but I haven't seen any updates on an injury - any locals know what's going on?
Texans homer.  I wouldn't worry.  As others have said, he's a warrior and rarely if ever misses a game. Pretty much the opposite of the fragile Fuller.  

DeAndre Hopkins (ribs) is good to go for the Texans' Week 2 matchup against the Jaguars.

Hopkins was limited all week due to a ribs injury, but he'll be a full go Sunday against Jalen Ramsey and company. Nuk hasn't had a problem producing in Ramsey's shadow over the years, posting 5-48-0, 8-87-0, 7-55-1, 4-80-1, 3-50-1 and most-recently 12-147-0 receiving lines in their six career matchups. Will Fuller is set up brilliantly on the other side of the field against a Texans defense that could be without No. 2 CB A.J. Bouye (hip, questionable).

Sep 13, 2019, 4:08 PM ET

I will say this one thing... on those matchups he had an insane target volume to reach those numbers... like 12 was the fewest targets he received in those matchups. Watson may not need to pepper Hopkins with Fuller facing an inferior corner + Stills and Coutee back.

I will say this one thing... on those matchups he had an insane target volume to reach those numbers... like 12 was the fewest targets he received in those matchups. Watson may not need to pepper Hopkins with Fuller facing an inferior corner + Stills and Coutee back.
But he’s the best WR in football. He’s going to get the target share. 

Fuller isn’t a target hog. He’ll get his deep shots of course, but I’m not worried about Hopkins at all 

DeAndre Hopkins caught just 5-of-8 targets for 40 yards in the Texans' 13-12, Week 2 win over the Jaguars.

Hopkins didn't catch a pass in the second half. He was wrapped up in Jalen Ramsey's coverage all day, and the Texans barely survived this one. Hopkins' 40 yards actually tied Will Fuller for the team lead in receiving. Hopkins gets another tough battle with Casey Hayward when Houston visits the Chargers in Week 3. Still, Week 2 will likely go down as Hopkins' worst game of the season.

Sep 15, 2019, 4:10 PM ET

DeAndre Hopkins caught 5-of-8 targets for 41 scoreless yards in the Texans' Week 4 loss to the Panthers.

Two of Hopkins' catches came on the final drive of the game thanks to off coverage. He's now failed to find the end zone or surpass even 70 yards in three consecutive games. Hopkins hasn't had the easiest CB matchups during this stretch, matching up with Jalen Ramsey, Casey Hayward and James Bradberry in Weeks 2-4, respectively. The most concerning metric is his mundane number of targets, as Hopkins has averaged just 7.7 targets in this slump. Nuk is in a prime bounce-back spot next week against the Falcons.
This is a bit concerning. For the first time since... ever, Hopkins isn't being relentlessly being fed targets. That's Hopkins' bag, insane volume on insane efficiency.

I wanted to post this because looking back... it's literally been 3 years since we had to question anything about him (go back to page 18 of this thread for drama)

RotoWorld - The Morning After excerpt

DeAndre Hopkins’ slump reaches three games - Hopkins is averaging 5/49 since his 8/111 Week 1. What gives? For starters, the work. Hopkins has just 23 looks since the opener. This is someone who averaged 10 targets in 2018. Uneven Deshaun Watson performances against strong defenses have played a part. There’s also the matter of Hopkins’ increased target competition, with Kenny Stills capable of more out of the No. 3 receiver spot than Keke Coutee or “Vyncint Smith.” So what’s the outlook? Improved. For Week 5 there’s a Falcons Defense that just revived Marcus Mariota and A.J. Brown followed by the Chiefs. You need more from your first-round pick. You are about to get it.  
So I've been a Hopkins owner 3 straight years; each year taking a different path to actually drafting him. This is the first stretch like this I remember and although this group of WRs may be the most talented/healthy right now, you always could rely on Savage/Yates/Watson forcing the ball to him. However Watson isn't really doing that as much this year and Hopkins himself isn't as efficient as he was in previous years. Is anyone actually thinking of dealing him at this point due to his name/the potential of the offense?

Last edited by a moderator:
He's fine.  Players have bad stretches.  He'll have a big game or 2 and we'll all laugh at the time we thought he wasn't an automatic starter.  

I'm buying low where I can.  I honestly didn't think there would be many people concerned about him, but here we are.

As a Texans fan and having also been in attendance last week I can tell owners this: Hopkins was double teamed all day. Watson has been off all season. Teams were daring any other Texan to beat them.

The good, if I’m a Hopkins owner, is after Fuller coming out this week, coverage will soften on Hopkins moving forward. 

As a Texans fan and having also been in attendance last week I can tell owners this: Hopkins was double teamed all day. Watson has been off all season. Teams were daring any other Texan to beat them.

The good, if I’m a Hopkins owner, is after Fuller coming out this week, coverage will soften on Hopkins moving forward. 
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the feedback. 

DeAndre Hopkins caught 7-of-8 targets for 88 scoreless yards in the Texans' Week 5 win over the Falcons.

Nuk was the clear second-hand man to Will Fuller (14-217-3), but his performance was still a positive after being held under 70 receiving yards in three straight weeks. Hopkins continued to get mostly underneath targets, although Deshaun Watson did look his way multiple times in the red zone before choosing to go elsewhere. Defenses will continue to surround Hopkins with multiple defenders, but he's too good to stay quiet for much longer. Perhaps the blowup spot for Nuk is next week against a Chiefs defense he's posted 4-52-3, 7-113-1, 9-98-2 and 6-69-0 lines against since 2015.
There were a number of coverages Hopkins sucked to him were Fuller was open or 1-on-1. You take the points and move on.

fingers crossed there.

I’ve been trying to sell ...

getting declined all over the place. Which is weird. So then I response with “hey French boy, you realize I’m offering Hopkins right?”

... still get declined.

He is too good for this to continue all season.  He’s been double teamed and bracketed his whole career.  The difference now seems to be that Watson no longer feels the need to force it to him BC he trusts his other options. 

Head scratching...really. I mean, he is supposed to be one of the best in the league and the QB is pretty good and he's throwing the ball over the field but everyone is disappointed.   

What's crazy (and it's always .Ike this) is the fact that a guy as gifted as Nuk keeps getting bottled up but then there are guys like Keenan Allen and davante Allen and...DJ Chark and Chris godwin...who seemto be bullet proof.  Gofigure.  I blame coaching 100 percent of the time when I see obvious talent under achieving.   I spent a decade cursing at the people I see under utilizing Megatron, Dez, julio, etc...and then I just said "whatever". 

Last edited by a moderator:
DeAndre Hopkins hauled in 9-of-12 targets for 55 yards in Houston's Week 6 win over the Chiefs.

It's the fifth consecutive game Hopkins has failed to eclipse 100 receiving yards and/or score a touchdown. His 9.3 targets per game through six outings resembles his 10.1 average from last season, but the results obviously haven't followed as the stud wideout is currently on pace for a mere 105.6/1,072/5.3 after totaling 115/1,572/11 in '18. Odds are Hopkins turns it around on sheer talent alone, but plays such as his dropped five-yard score against the Chiefs won't help. He'll again be a Top 10 receiver against a Colts defense that's limited big plays to opposing wideouts in Week 7.

He did drop probable TD pass last week. 

Watch most of this game and the deep passes are going to Fuller for sure. Nuk was the possession 3rd down guy in the game. His only long gain was a 5 yard pass that he slipped a tackle and picked up another 10-15 YAC. Never had him on a team before this year but it is weird, he always killed me whenever I played him.

He did drop probable TD pass last week. 

Watch most of this game and the deep passes are going to Fuller for sure. Nuk was the possession 3rd down guy in the game. His only long gain was a 5 yard pass that he slipped a tackle and picked up another 10-15 YAC. Never had him on a team before this year but it is weird, he always killed me whenever I played him.
My take... how long before Nuk is running those patterns that Fuller keeps dropping?

My take... how long before Nuk is running those patterns that Fuller keeps dropping?
I hope so. Give him a a couple at least. Problem is the offense has been working pretty well with half the defense following him around and him just catching 5-6 balls. Need a couple blow up games in a row and it will be all good.

tricky92 said:
It is strange that they don’t try to get him in those same spots - could also be that although he’s got the best hands in the game, he’s just not the burner that Fuller is in order to make those routes really work.

Anyone sitting him this week? If so, who are you starting in his place? The matchup isn't too bad, but still, his numbers just aren't there this year.

Anyone sitting him this week? If so, who are you starting in his place? The matchup isn't too bad, but still, his numbers just aren't there this year.
He still has a fairly high floor.  He just isn't getting the ceiling games yet this year.  There is no way you bench him unless you are crazy stacked at WR and even then you don't sit him. 

Users who are viewing this thread