What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

whoa. not covered.

also probably not going to help them spot and get the drop on a dragon from behind an island before it spots them... but pretty cool anyways.
They sorta did when he landed with the Golden Company and mentioned having much of a pain in the ### it was to sail with a crew of mutes. No backstory just that line drop.

They sorta did when he landed with the Golden Company and mentioned having much of a pain in the ### it was to sail with a crew of mutes. No backstory just that line drop.
ah- right. thought he was talking #### about the GC. and thought he said "mooks"... which probably wouldn't make sense :lol:

My total guess for the finale in a couple of weeks is that Jon ends up killing danys as she is going to far and burning too many people up.  They have hammered the point home throughout the series about how the Targeryons are obsessed with fire and all of them turn out crazy.
Not all of them.

"I am no maester to quote history at you, Your Grace. Swords have been my life, not books. But every child knows that the Targaryens have always danced too close to madness. Your father was not the first. King Jaehaerys once told me that madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."

Ok that's interesting, but these you describe were basically siege weapons. Not anti-aircraft that could be aimed.  I mean even in 1944 AA batteries would have to throw up a crap ton of rounds to even ding one of the planes.  Things like flak were more effective.  

It does sound like the range of the situation described would be within 100m though.  

Yes, I get it dragons and all that crap.  
Well, romans never had a reason to make theirs for dragons :)

B-25 >>> dragons

I'm with you.  I was Hound kills Mountain going into the season, but I've reversed.  Arya is going to take down the Mountain (and not Cersei).  
I must be one of the few who couldn't care less about whether the hound kills the mountain or they mountain kills the hound or they end up having a threesome with Ayra,.

Too much other stuff to do, no time to do it.

You know they're just trying to wrap everything up as fast as possible when you get a line like "The new prince of Dorne pledges his allegiance." Like we spent 2 seasons in Dorne, and now they can't even give the guy a name?

Dorney McDorne Face? Fresh Prince of Dorne Air? At least pretend it still matters a little bit.
That line got me sitting up - WTF? They can't just bring Dorne back into this in the second-to-last episode based on that one line.  My fear is the Dornish army storms in, Knights of the Vale style, to save the day just as things look lost for the good guys.

Also, is there still an army at Riverrun and which side would they be on?  Historically aligned with the Starks due to Catelyn/Lysa, but things got a bit turned around a couple seasons ago.

no way he still does though at this point. unless he's a mook too.
cersei said "our child" and he got on his knee to pet the tummy. he just found out about the baby and thinks it's his. and from a few episodes ago...

alternative theory, after doing the deed Yuron rubbed her tummy and said "i'm gonna put a son in there" or something like that. my guess is she let him f her as a backup plan so she can say the baby is Yuron's when Jamie is dead, at least based on her plans.
:bowtie:

Finally have a moment so here are some thoughts.  Definitely need to rewatch because I watched with a drunken Mrs. Woz last night who was yelling at the TV for most of the episode. For some reason, drunken Mrs. Woz really disliked the Jaime - Brienne #### session.  I do think I agree because, oddly, I would think Jaime had too much respect for her as a warrior and person to then give her what I interpreted to basically be a pity #### because she's a virgin (also, cruel question by Tyrion WTF). But that scene basically ruined the episode for my drunk wife and she declared it too Hollywood for what we've previously seen. 

1. Episode was less enjoyable than average for the show although there were some really good scenes in the first half that have been previously mentioned. The Hound scenes in particular were great. But, the romances all appeared forced and rushed (the Gendry-Arya scene was something out of like a Twilight novel).

2.  They really really really need to explain Bran better. He's such an important character, and I was actually on board with his trek north, but it's so hard not to be frustrated with the minimal information were given about him couple with the incredible lack of utility he appears to give everybody.  I was really hoping we'd get an episode dominated by his visions or him basically going all storyteller on everybody to fill in some plot holes. But instead we're basically given he knows everything + doesn't do anything + nobody thinks to ask him about the best course of action. 

3. I've gotten over the whole "how the #### did that character travel 1000 miles so fast" issue and have just accepted that time gets fast-forwarded a bit.  But, I can't get over how Euron and his giant ####### sailboats are able to sneak up without detection at the perfect moment every time. And the dragons didn't see him or even get off some breaths of fire? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be one of the few who couldn't care less about whether the hound kills the mountain or they mountain kills the hound or they end up having a threesome with Ayra,.

I guess you'd have to unpack this a little bit more to really know what you're thinking, but I think the people you seem to care nothing about will play a large role in the other stuff you're looking forward to.

That line got me sitting up - WTF? They can't just bring Dorne back into this in the second-to-last episode based on that one line.  My fear is the Dornish army storms in, Knights of the Vale style, to save the day just as things look lost for the good guys.

Also, is there still an army at Riverrun and which side would they be on?  Historically aligned with the Starks due to Catelyn/Lysa, but things got a bit turned around a couple seasons ago.
Yeah, and that was further conflated by Cersie promising Riverrun to Bronn.  Is that even hers to give?

Oh, speaking of Bronn, his scene was annoying too and felt way rushed. 

Not all of them.

"I am no maester to quote history at you, Your Grace. Swords have been my life, not books. But every child knows that the Targaryens have always danced too close to madness. Your father was not the first. King Jaehaerys once told me that madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land."
Not all of them but they have hammered the point home that the Targaryens have been way over the top insane in the past.  Way too many mentions of this to not bring it up on the way to the ending

3 big players (but not central) that you don't care at all about? ok. just in it for the dragons and throne?

Gotta say...the moment at the gate was pretty lame.  I don't think there's no way that Cersei doesn't end it right there.  Right up there with ALL the "We gotta kill Negan...nothing else matters" moment in The Walking Dead where Rick could have shot Negan a thousand times in the 10 minutes they're talking to him.  I think they were only using it as a means to maybe convey the idea to Euron that it isn't his baby.  

Oh, for what it's worth I'm actually okay with Dany's descent into madness because I think it's been understandably accelerated by her finally being close to the throne, her losing half her armies+, Jorah dying, Tyrion erring, and her having some real competition for the throne (Jon and/or Sansa).  But, I would agree that prior season Danaerys was probably one of if not the most kind-hearted characters on the show.  I mean, hell, even cool-head Ned beheaded the deserting Crow whereas Dany did not always kill a character when she probably could have justified doing so. 

IIRC Edmure Tully is still at Riverrun. He was being run by the Freys/Lannisters, but I doubt they have much hold on him anymore. Maybe Jon pick the Tullys up as he goes south, though technically he's not related to them, and he's not King In The North (they were Stark banner men at the beginning of the show). Maybe Sansa sends them a note or something. Also they'll be passing through the neck, near Greywater Watch, which is Howland Reed's domain. Maybe Meera brings some troops?

cersei said "our child" and he got on his knee to pet the tummy. he just found out about the baby and thinks it's his. and from a few episodes ago...

:bowtie:
well yeah- that all seemed pretty straight forward.

but at this point, when Tyrion yells about the baby that he shouldn't have any right knowing about... yuron must have some new doubts. or he's a mook. 

That was awesome overall. the dragon death scene was poorly done being it made no sense, she would have flown ahead to dragonstone and scoped it out before hand.  That said it did look really cool at least and now we are down to one left.  

hope tormund is coming back the last two shows here, I love that guy.     Him just leaving and going back to being a wildling is kinda lame!
The after show tease made it seem as t though the are several dragons coming. I sense a plot twist

My total guess for the finale in a couple of weeks is that Jon ends up killing danys as she is going to far and burning too many people up.  They have hammered the point home throughout the series about how the Targeryons are obsessed with fire and all of them turn out crazy.
In terms of character development though it's somewhat obvious in how they're doing it, it does make sense as Dany has lost most of her two main armies, so naturally she would turn to her super weapon, but the more she does that the more she sets of the Targaryen gene.

3 big players (but not central) that you don't care at all about? ok. just in it for the dragons and throne?
Typical response.

Of course Ayra is central, and her story will be told.

Hound is fine and all but the mountain is a background character...so yeah, with everything else they have to tidy up in about 160 minutes, I think I could do without some resolution between the hound and the mountain. They are already butchering the entire series in an effort to get it done in 6 episodes, so if it's all the same to you, I'd like what little time they have left to focus on the major characters.

Cool? Thanks!

It is almost like they are trying to break the fourth wall over some of the memes about the series.  Dorne and the whole Ghost thing

I don’t get why the rush here.  They could have drawn this all out over a bunch of additional episodes.  
My guess. These types of shows have a definite expiration date, they know it and don't want to ruin it. I believe the final episode will be spectacular.

Typical response.

Hound is fine and all but the mountain is a background character...so yeah, with everything else they have to tidy up in about 160 minutes, I think I could do without some resolution between the hound and the mountain. They are already butchering the entire series in an effort to get it done in 6 episodes, so if it's all the same to you, I'd like what little time they have left to focus on the major characters.

Cool? Thanks!
:confused:  ... typical of who/what? you seem pretty touchy there.

hound is tied up with the mountain who is tied up with cersei- those plot points go back to episode 1. I was asking who/what else you care about if these type of players aren't worthwhile for you. 

I'd prefer them to have stretched this out a bit more- it's definitely getting rushed and sloppy relative to the rest of the show. but at this point- characters like the Hound, Arya and the mountain are all deeply rooted fixtures in the show and need their proper resolutions or this would feel even more rushed and sloppy. your previous post doesn't seem to agree with that.

My biggest beef is with how easy it's been to kill these dragons.

Viserion killed by an ice spear (miracle shot) and now Rhaegal hit by not one but 2 giant arrow (bolts) whatever you want to call them.  Those things should be inaccurate as hell especially at that distance. 
This is another place where I feel like I can see the writers' strings moving. Dragon air power is an unmatched weapon in that place and time. Three dragons are almost undefeatable. So they give one dragon to NK, that evens things out and brings down the wall which has magic protective runes.

And now they take one more out. Presto technology is invented, large scale manufacturing happens, and 50-100, 200? of these dragon and boat missiles are ready and loaded on ships and the red keep. Wow. They own the sea and the air all of a sudden.

Because otherwise 3 dragons, and they just mow down the dead and obliterate the pirate navy and the castle surrenders. Not good for storyboarding is it.

Typical response.

Cool? Thanks!
The Mountain protects Cersei at literally every step.  What a strange path you're taking here.

:confused:  ... typical of who/what? you seem pretty touchy there.

hound is tied up with the mountain who is tied up with cersei- those plot points go back to episode 1. I was asking who/what else you care about if these type of players aren't worthwhile for you. 

I'd prefer them to have stretched this out a bit more- it's definitely getting rushed and sloppy relative to the rest of the show. but at this point- characters like the Hound, Arya and the mountain are all deeply rooted fixtures in the show and need their proper resolutions or this would feel even more rushed and sloppy. your previous post doesn't seem to agree with that.
Well you are right, in an effort to sloppily clean up every character arc, no matter how insignificant the character is(mountain) it wouldn't surprise me to see him get some screentime.

I'm sure it won't matter, but I'm curious who this prince is. IIRC, House Martell is wiped out. it would be cool if it was someone from House Dayne, because they were historically bad###. but again...with 2 episodes left, it won't matter.

As little of Dorne as possible is good though.  

Hey if you feel the mountain is a significant character I wont argue with you.  i don't.  At all.
Doesn't matter either way actually. 

The point you seem to be making is that the writers will have to go out of their way to resolve the Clegane bad blood, which will take away from other main characters arcs/conclusions, when others including myself are implying it can be easily accomplished organically because the Mountain is tied to one of the most important characters in the show.  

Doesn't matter either way actually. 

The point you seem to be making is that the writers will have to go out of their way to resolve the Clegane bad blood, which will take away from other main characters arcs/conclusions, when others including myself are implying it can be easily accomplished organically because the Mountain is tied to one of the most important characters in the show.  
Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread