What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danny woodhead (1 Viewer)

In PPR leagues, it is not "chasing points" to start him... he should be an every week starter unless your roster is completely stacked. He is RB #4 in total points and RB #12 in ppg in PPR, most of that compiled as part of a committee with Gordon, who is now out.

Also, at OAK is not a typical road game. It is 2 hours away, same time zone, and a division rival, and we already saw Woodhead play well against OAK this year.

IMO some of you are overthinking this.

Trying to decide between him and Jennings who has a decent matchup vs Vikings. Woodhead is so tough to trust but has such a high ceiling he's tempting.

In PPR leagues, it is not "chasing points" to start him... he should be an every week starter unless your roster is completely stacked. He is RB #4 in total points and RB #12 in ppg in PPR, most of that compiled as part of a committee with Gordon, who is now out.
Since the bye week he scored double digits once (10.7 week 12) and single digits the other three weeks (2.6, 6.4 and 4.3) so he's been ice cold other than last week so it's indeed "chasing points". He put up his big games early on but since the Chargers have had nothing to play for he's been garbage.

Since the bye, San Diego has looked like ####. They seem to be back on track though.

During that rough patch Woodhead had like 6 dropped touchdowns.

I've started Woodhead every week except week one. My other options all season were J Forsett, M Ingram, A Ellington, and A Morris. Over time, I've added Bryce Brown, Kerwynn Williams, Kendal Gaskins, and Mike Gillislee.

No faith in Ellington, fearful of Morris. But I'm sticking with Woodhead this week and one of either Morris, Gillislee, or Gaskins.

Not sure Gordon being out makes that much difference because Brown will likely soak up a lot of Gordon's work no? I'm no Chargers homer but given Woodhead is essentially the third down guy and 2 min offense guy, does his role even change with Gordon being out?

If not Woodhead, Rivers sucks up most of Gordon's work, with 3-4 of those heading Woodhead's way. Woodhead will still get 10+ carries and now 10+ passing targets. Even without those 3 TD receptions last week Woodhead would have gotten 15 points, so I'm liking his floor in PPR.

Going against him in a couple of leagues and with Gordon out he is probably a good start. Here is hoping Brown spoils the show. Either way I still feel Woodhead will catch enough passes to make him relevant even if Brown dominates the early down work.

Since the bye week he scored double digits once (10.7 week 12) and single digits the other three weeks (2.6, 6.4 and 4.3) so he's been ice cold other than last week so it's indeed "chasing points". He put up his big games early on but since the Chargers have had nothing to play for he's been garbage.
Since the bye week:

vs. KC - #4 in fantasy points allowed to RBs; Woodhead 2.6

@ JAX - #23 in fantasy points allowed to RBs; Woodhead 10.7

vs DEN - #12 in fantasy points allowed to RBs; Woodhead 6.4

@ KC - #4 in fantasy points allowed to RBs; Woodhead 4.3

vs MIA - #31 in fantasy points allowed to RBs; Woodhead 36

Woodhead's scoring appears to be well-correlated to the defenses he has faced. The OAK defense is #20 in fantasy points allowed to RBs.

Aside from the fantasy points allowed to RBs, KC and DEN are elite defenses. DEN is currently #4 in points allowed and #1 in yards allowed; KC is currently #3 in points allowed and #8 in yards allowed. Is it really surprising that Woodhead had low scores in those games? And don't forget that Woodhead dropped a TD on the last play of the second KC game that would have given him another 8 points.

Another reason for Woodhead's dip since the bye week is the team trying to get Gordon more touches (82 touches in 4.5 games). Obviously, that is not a factor this week.

I'm fine agreeing to disagree on this, because to me it is clear that starting Woodhead this week is not "chasing points." :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: One
I wish this game wasn't tonight. I am either playing Woody or John Brown, as my flex, in .5 PPR Finals.

I feel Oakland will score enough to keep SD throwing...so Woodhead should get plenty of work and Oakland struggles against pass catching RB's.

Not sure Gordon being out makes that much difference because Brown will likely soak up a lot of Gordon's work no? I'm no Chargers homer but given Woodhead is essentially the third down guy and 2 min offense guy, does his role even change with Gordon being out?
Yes, his role changes. The team had shifted more touches to Gordon, to get him more reps. No need to do that with Brown. Brown will get plenty of snaps, but Woodhead's snaps should increase over recent weeks.

Woodhead is not just a third down and two minute RB. He has 82 rushing attempts this season: 45 on 1st down, 28 on 2nd down, 9 on 3rd down. He has 86 targets this season: 26 on 1st down, 28 on 2nd down, 30 on 3rd down, 1 on 4th down.

i think the team was kind of forcing Gordon into the field because of his draft status to get him reps. No need to do that with Brown.

Picked him up this week with the idea of starting him over Ivory (non-PPR), but just can't pull the trigger. Too many duds since the bye; feel like I'd just be chasing a one-off big week.

(I'm almost always wrong on these calls, so take that for what it's worth.)

Picked him up this week with the idea of starting him over Ivory (non-PPR), but just can't pull the trigger. Too many duds since the bye; feel like I'd just be chasing a one-off big week.

(I'm almost always wrong on these calls, so take that for what it's worth.)
You're not alone. I drafted Woodhead (non-PPR), and held on to him until just a couple of weeks ago. Its tempting as hell to pick him up and surprised nobody else has in our 12 team league -- Still 3hrs to go...

I have him in two leagues and against him in two more. I hate that, but I still try to play my best players and not get too cute and sit him and pray he doesn't score.

Couldnt bring myself to starting him in non-PPR after how many low weeks he has had recently, and the SD offense in general disarray. Ended up starting Freeman, Martin, Denard Robinson and Cooks over him instead.

Back to complete irrelevancy. And we all got caught chasing last week Pts. Last week he screwed us all by randomly blowing up on our bench and this week he is screwing us by going back to being an afterthought.

Praying for a better second half. Not looking good though

One said:
Can't panic yet. Woodhead put up like 25 in the last 6 minutes during the last Raiders game.
True...may realize that Brown is playing back to his abilities and just go hurry up the rest of the way...

Because the Chargers wanted to put an exclamation point next to the "L" on or foreheads for chasing last weeks points.

Raiders need to give SD a reason to go no-huddle. They'll slam Brown for 1 ypc as long as they can.

So...the SD coaches are basically just as good at coaching as the average forum member here.
No. But if SD wants to run it up the middle for a few yards it should be Brown. If they want to keep the offense moving in other situations, it should be Woodhead

Ok I'll take this game considering what it could have been at halftime. Not a dream killer kind of performance. Thanks woody!

Picked him up, another owner dropped him before his game last week? We play in contracts so I signed him for 2 years (1 year deal).

Philip Rivers puts this guy in the right position to succeed. He's got natural talent, yes. But Rivers is constantly audibling to a screen or dumpoff to Woodhead.

Chargers are 31st in rushing but a good portion of Rivers passing yards are YAC from Woodhead.

Not bad at all. He always seems to pick up as the game wears on and SD remember that he exists, has talent and should be used. Not a bad night, even in standard.

Loving all these catches.
Not if you play in a standard league.
Gross who does that?
Not to mention why play him in standard, he is only viable in PPR
Actually before his bye week he was rb5 in my standard league!

He is very viable in standard formats WHEN HIS COACHES USE HIM INSTEAD OF TRYING TO FORCE THE BALL TO THEIR ROOKIE BUST. Or Donald brown.

He gave me a fine stat line in my standard league last night. Nothing earth shattering but I'll take 10+ Pts in my flex any week.

Not bad at all. He always seems to pick up as the game wears on and SD remember that he exists, has talent and should be used. Not a bad night, even in standard.
Could have been much much worse for those going against Woodhead.
Yes it could have been. On the other hand it could have been worse for Woodhead owners. They didn't bench Brown until the 4th quarter if memory serves.

Users who are viewing this thread