What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official CJ Spiller (2 Viewers)

matttyl said:
F Jax not practicing Friday with an illness. He was already limited with ankle issues earlier in the week. Should his "questionable" tag end up being "out", is Spiller worth a start at home vs New England?
Sadly, I've started Spiller every week out of necessity. This would be the greatest news ever. Not that Spiller will do any better, but at least I won't be frustrated watching Fred Jackson get carries on the gamecast.

CJ is arguably the biggest bust of the season so far. Worst third round pick for me in over 25 years playing this game.

people still think he's better than Fred Jackson?
The fumble was bad, but Spiller is given no opportunity to succeed in this offense right now... the only plays he's in the game are run plays to him. Defenses can sniff that out in a second.
Yeah I agree. I used to complain about Chan Gailey but at least he gave Spiller an opportunity to succeed. There's no doubt in my mind he's more explosive than FJ, and he's already shown he can handle feature back duties. Running him up the middle for 8-10 carries a game is stupid. He's a space player who CAN run between the tackles when he's used creatively. Gailey used to split him out too. No idea why Buff is using him as they do. And then relegating him to kick offs and playing Dixon? That's asinine, put your playmakers on the field.

Can't wait till he's out of Buffalo.

Is he a buy low in dynasty? Not looking at this year, as this OC does not appear to understand how to get him the ball in space. IIRC, he has a player option for next season, so I have to believe that he will take his skillset elsewhere, maybe to a team that can utilize his talents. Is this the time to try to acquire him?

I have no idea why this coaching staff continue to give Spiller the ball on clear running plays and no targets in the passing game.

I have no idea why this coaching staff continue to give Spiller the ball on clear running plays and no targets in the passing game.
I've repeated this over and over in this thread, but it's the biggest reason why Spiller never gets any room to run in his carries. The coaching staff doesn't trust him in pass protection (I don't think he's terrible at it, BTW - Jackson is just very good in that regard).

The only way Spiller becomes fantasy viable again this year is if Jackson gets hurt.

His value has plummeted so low, the only thing to do is to hold in dynasty and hope he goes to a team in the offseason where 2012 Spiller reappears.

It's clear defenses are playing Spiller differently than FJ when he's in the game due to the fact that the BUF coaching staff is calling obvious running plays. Spiller is only getting limited snaps and almost always on running plays designed to go inside, or that the defense can easily force inside.

It's also possible that he's not the same player he was a couple of years ago, but the speed he showed on the kickoff return TD vs. Miami says otherwise. He had a bad fumble against NE which didn't help, but the coaching staff really needs to be more creative with the play calling. Put him and FJ on the field at the same time, line him up at WR, give him some reverses, get him in space, etc.

Finally dropping him this week for McKinnon who has gone unnoticed on my WW so far.

His value is literally zero in re draft right now

It's clear defenses are playing Spiller differently than FJ when he's in the game due to the fact that the BUF coaching staff is calling obvious running plays. Spiller is only getting limited snaps and almost always on running plays designed to go inside, or that the defense can easily force inside.
Buffalo's atrocious play calling has sabotaged Spiller's career and only a change of scenery will impact that.

You'd think a supposedly "desperate for their jobs" coaching staff would change their ways instead of being obvious about what they're trying to do.

That shows a lack of respect for both Belichick and their fans, to be honest.

I guess they don't want to stay employed after all. My bad for assuming they did after their road wins against Chicago and Detroit... although, let's be honest, Detroit gave that win away.

Incidentally, Spiller may have value as a Bill this season (even in a non-Fred Jackson injury situation) if Pegula cleans house before Week 16. I doubt he does, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live outside Buffalo and listen to local radio every morning on the way to work (Shredd and Ragan {spelling?} show, can't stand the radio guys, I think the main guy is kind of a blockhead but I like the sports talk) and they have Rueben Brown calling in to the show all the time.

Rueben has been somewhat ambivalent about the move from Manuel to Orton but has pretty clearly criticized the play calling. "run the ball" was his mantra on one show and he was pretty critical about putting Manuel in a position to fail by not running the ball.

I think the play calling has been pretty poor as well but, generally speaking, It seems Bills fans are so excited to see signs of life from the team that there hasn't been much said about it (that I'm aware of). The misuse of Spiller has been terrible though.

I can't argue with the QB change because I think it's obvious that Orton's substantially improved (over Manuel) accuracy and experience adds a completely new dimension to the team. I'm not much of a fan of Manuel and I think the Bills reached terribly when they took him in the first, but I have to agree with Rueben that the Bills coaching staff did nothing to help him succeed either and actually almost set him up to fail.

His value has plummeted so low, the only thing to do is to hold in dynasty and hope he goes to a team in the offseason where 2012 Spiller reappears.
I traded Spiller and Doug Martin for Lamar Miller and Branden Oliver in a dynasty league. Feeling pretty good about it right now.

Not a Spiller owner, but every time I see this thread I read it as "Spiller is a go to hell".

Makes a lot of sense, don't get me wrong. But....to support the CJ owners that think he is some sort of elite talent.....

2012, pre-Moron, 1700 yards, 8 TDs, #7 fantasy rb. ADP of 5 overall the following fall. If Chan was still in charge, would things be different? I say probably.

The Bills are down to 4 active WRs this week against Minnesota. There's a chance that they might use Spiller as a wideout (he lined up as a receiver from time to time under the previous coaching staff), but I still don't think he's worthy of even a flex play right now.

I am just hoping he breaks a big run or pass. I have to start him with Leveon. Jennings is out until the bye, Khiry is behind Ingram again and they are playing Detroit, and Moreno is out for the year.

Every answer he gave was 100% professional. Never blamed anyone for anything.

Meanwhile I've read tweets today that Marrone went on the radio and bashed CJ for looking for the big play. Read another tweet that Hacket bashed CJ for something like "not taking 3 yards when it's there" or something like that.

Shame the Bills coaching staff is such CYA mode they can't show the same class and professionalism as Spiller and have instead resorted to saying things in public they have no reason to say about a player. I know Spiller recently signed with an agent and I hope that agent is doing everything he can right now to let the Bills know this is a crappy way to treat a client heading into a FA year and by crappy I don't mean his playing time but spouting negativity about him in public. I hope this agent does all he can to get CJ out of town in the next few weeks.

I used to think the #1 reason the Bills would not trade Spiller is because the current regime knows they need to win now. I believe now their #1 hesistancy to move Spiller is so they won't look so stupid and petty when a real coach utilized him properly.

No one is giving a 2nd or 3rd for Spiller. I think a 5th is the best they can hope for.

Here is a list of teams that would be great for Spiller

Carolina - no running back can stay healthy and with the threat of Cam running the read option it would open so monster holes for him and some explosive plays

Indy - Trent is horrible, and Bradshaw can't be the workhorse. So Spiller comes in and takes the Richardson role, which he would be better than Richardson, or he comes in if/when Bradshaw gets hurt and takes his role.

San Diego - I think he could do well in the Woodhead role, if Matthews can't get healthy or stay healthy.

Denver - The pass protection might scare off the Broncos, but he would be the most talented runner on that team that has a great passing game and a good O line.

That's a pretty terrible article. He uses RB usage to support his argument, says 2 sets of coaching staffs have reached the same conclusion (which isn't really true, Gailey used Spiller a lot and played to his strengths, and there was a stretch when Spiller successfully performed as a feature back), and then says something like "it's always something with Spiller", which I'm not sure is true either. Fred has had a few high profile fumbles if I recall.

I'm not disputing pass blocking deficiencies. Not disputing that Fred Jackson is a very good RB (he also fits Buffalo blue collar, lunch pail culture also which is, at least in part, one of the reasons he's a fan favorite). They are different kinds of runners. But it's not just Spiller FF owners he feel he is and has been misused. There are other analysts who say the same thing. Whatever, it's beating a dead horse at this point. Be interesting to see what happens with him down the road.

No one is giving a 2nd or 3rd for Spiller. I think a 5th is the best they can hope for.
I think they'd need at least a 4th to move him since I think they get a third round compensatory pick if they just let him walk in FA.
I doubt they get a 3rd in compensatory for him. I don't know exactly how it works, but from what people on this board have posted and my understanding of it. He would have to sign for a big contract and it also depends on who the Bills bring in for free agency.

I think they'd need at least a 4th to move him since I think they get a third round compensatory pick if they just let him walk in FA.
I doubt they get a 3rd in compensatory for him. I don't know exactly how it works, but from what people on this board have posted and my understanding of it. He would have to sign for a big contract and it also depends on who the Bills bring in for free agency.
Agreed. The biggest factor is the net loss of free agents, followed by their contracts. For example, they didn't get any comp picks last year for Levitre despite his huge contract because they lost two and signed two.

msudaisy26 said:

Carolina - no running back can stay healthy and with the threat of Cam running the read option it would open so monster holes for him and some explosive plays

Indy - Trent is horrible, and Bradshaw can't be the workhorse. So Spiller comes in and takes the Richardson role, which he would be better than Richardson, or he comes in if/when Bradshaw gets hurt and takes his role.

San Diego - I think he could do well in the Woodhead role, if Matthews can't get healthy or stay healthy.

Denver - The pass protection might scare off the Broncos, but he would be the most talented runner on that team that has a great passing game and a good O line.
The closest match for Spiller would be SD, but they don't need him and wouldn't pay for him when they have Oliver crushing it right now. Spiller is a "get him in space" back, which means he's going to be better on a read-option type offense. The Bills *should* be a good fit for him, but FFS they just don't know how to get him to the edge. I don't know if it's EJ Manuel not reading coverage correctly or the coaches just thinking RBs are only good for straight ahead running, but Spiller needs to be on jet sweeps, bootlegs, and pitches. He's terrible as a between-the-tackles runner and he's a monster if he can get to the edge. I just dropped him in my TDs only league because, frankly, he's not worth the headache. What gets me, really, is it's not CJ's fault. He's running like a madman on returns. It's the atrocious play calling when he's the RB. At this point, I feel like the only way to get CJ in space is to put him on a Russian rocket. The Bills are too focused on EJ and Watkins and are ignoring the gold they have in Spiller.

menobrown said:
Grigs Allmoon said:
To combat those who think he's not some elite talent: http://vimeo.com/100308743
This is so depressing. I never thought I'd look back on the Chan Gaily years with nostalgia.

Can you imagine this defense with Gaily as our OC using Spiller the right way, with a real LG?

ETA: btw, if you watch closely, most of those runs have Urbik playing RG. Which is just more damning evidence against Marrone & Hacket. The holes he helped open for those runs are huge - and against quality Ds like KC and NE.

For those who don't know, starting Urbik was one of the arguing points between Marrone and the head office. They wanted Urbik to start, and Marrone insisted on starting Erik "turnstile" Pears or anyone else instead.

msudaisy26 said:

The closest match for Spiller would be SD, but they don't need him and wouldn't pay for him when they have Oliver crushing it right now. Spiller is a "get him in space" back, which means he's going to be better on a read-option type offense. The Bills *should* be a good fit for him, but FFS they just don't know how to get him to the edge. I don't know if it's EJ Manuel not reading coverage correctly or the coaches just thinking RBs are only good for straight ahead running, but Spiller needs to be on jet sweeps, bootlegs, and pitches. He's terrible as a between-the-tackles runner and he's a monster if he can get to the edge. I just dropped him in my TDs only league because, frankly, he's not worth the headache. What gets me, really, is it's not CJ's fault. He's running like a madman on returns. It's the atrocious play calling when he's the RB. At this point, I feel like the only way to get CJ in space is to put him on a Russian rocket. The Bills are too focused on EJ and Watkins and are ignoring the gold they have in Spiller.
This.

These videos are really sad. I drafted him with my second round pick in a dynasty startup in 2012. I've since sold him and bought him back two different times in the same league. No choice but to hold and pray he goes somewhere next year. Then I can be depressed about how they use Bryce Brown with a 39 year old FJax.

Carolina seems like it would make a lot of sense.
Good O-line. Good coach. Desperate need for a good RB. Can you imagine the headaches Spiller and Newton would cause for d-coordinators?
:no: CAR's OL, especially from a run blocking standpoint, is one of the worst in the league. I really hope I never have to see Spiller go to CAR. They still have JStew and DWills signed through 2016 if I'm not mistaken.

Rotoworld:

Coach Doug Marrone said he believes C.J. Spiller is "pressing" and that he's "looking for the home run."

Spiller is only playing about one-third of the offensive snaps, so it's hard to blame him for trying to make big plays. Unfortunately, the Bills offensive coaches have zero clue how to use the 27-year-old and insist on banging him between the tackles. It's translated to a meager 3.44 YPC and zero touchdowns on 68 totes. He hasn't found the end zone since a catch-and-run score in Week 1. We selfishly can't wait for Spiller to escape Buffalo. We just hope it's not too late at 28.

Oct 17 - 9:07 AM

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter
Bills OC Nathaniel Hackett conceded Friday the team is not pleased with C.J. Spiller's running style.

Spiller is a boom-or-bust runner by nature. The Bills are now asking him to change the way he runs to fit their scheme, as opposed to changing their scheme to fit him. Hackett wants Spiller to "see three, get three," and says he's trying to "do too much." Spiller is likely in his final season with Buffalo, although it's worth wondering if Hackett and coach Doug Marrone are, as well.

Oct 17 - 3:43 PM

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Bills OC Nathaniel Hackett said he "wants to continue feeding" C.J. Spiller.

Spiller played a season-low 12 snaps last week. He had at least 13 touches in his first five games, and should see similar workloads going forward. Spiller's Week 6 snap total was the result of getting benched for most of the second half after losing a fumble. He'll have a chance to get back on track against a Vikings defense that's allowing the third-most fantasy points to opposing running backs.

Source: ESPN.com
Oct 18 - 5:35 PM

Users who are viewing this thread