Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Squintz82

Larry Fitzgerald

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald (knee) is inactive for Sunday's Week 13 game at Atlanta.

Fitzgerald's Grade 2 MCL sprain has now kept him sidelined for two straight weeks. Impressive rookie John Brown will start and makes for an intriguing plug-n-play against one of the league's worst secondaries. Meanwhile, newly signed Michael Bush isn't ready to go yet and is inactive. The rest of the Cardinals' inactives: LB Desmond Bishop, LB Kenny Demens (hamstring), DT Alameda Ta'amu, DT Ed Stinson (toe) and TE Matthew Mulligan.
Related: John Brown
Nov 30 - 2:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians stated Friday that Larry Fitzgerald (questionable, knee) is "still not 100 percent" and will be a "game-time decision" for Week 14 against Kansas City.

Beat writer Darren Urban is "guessing" Fitzgerald will face the Chiefs after he was listed as a full participant in Friday's practice, but sees that as "no lock." In the fantasy playoffs, the entire Arizona offense is best left avoided with so many injuries and bumbling Drew Stanton at quarterback.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter
Dec 5 - 3:22 PM

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald (knee) is active Week 14 against the Chiefs.

Fitzgerald got in work in all three practices this week, but he is still not 100 percent recovered from his sprained MCL. Still hobbled and with Drew Stanton under center, Fitzgerald is nothing more than a WR4 against the Chiefs.
Dec 7 - 2:57 PM

Rotoworld:

A source tells PFT that the Cardinals will not release Larry Fitzgerald this offseason.

Fitzgerald carries an exorbitant $23.6 million cap number for 2015 as part of the eight-year, $128.5 million contract he signed in 2011. Per PFT, the future Hall of Famer could be traded, restructure his deal or lower his cap number via an extension of some sort -- but he won't be cut. Of course, this could be a leverage leak from the team looking to maintain some kind of trade market for a 31-year-old receiver who has just 61 catches, 755 yards and two touchdowns in 13 games this season.
Dec 22 - 8:33 AM

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald - WR - Cardinals

Larry Fitzgerald's $23.6 million cap number next season would take up approximately 17 percent of the Cardinals' cap space.

There's a zero percent chance Fitz will be back at that current number, but Profootballtalk has reported he won't be released. That means the sides are either already anticipating some sort of middle-ground agreement, or the Cardinals are attempting to keep any vestige of trade leverage. Fitz is still an effective player, but is no longer the vertical dynamo who earned an eight-year, $128.5 million deal in August 2011. Both sides know this. There's a good chance cooler heads prevail with a revised deal to keep Fitz in Arizona.

Source: Arizona Republic

Dec 23 - 7:51 PM

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald - WR - Cardinals

Larry Fitzgerald's $23.6 million cap number next season would take up approximately 17 percent of the Cardinals' cap space.

There's a zero percent chance Fitz will be back at that current number, but Profootballtalk has reported he won't be released. That means the sides are either already anticipating some sort of middle-ground agreement, or the Cardinals are attempting to keep any vestige of trade leverage. Fitz is still an effective player, but is no longer the vertical dynamo who earned an eight-year, $128.5 million deal in August 2011. Both sides know this. There's a good chance cooler heads prevail with a revised deal to keep Fitz in Arizona.

Source: Arizona Republic

Dec 23 - 7:51 PM

Cardinals are heading toward salary cap hell by keeping him.

Monster number against the cap regardless. They might as well keep him for 2015.

Monster number against the cap regardless. They might as well keep him for 2015.

Save 9.2 mill by cutting him. They are roughly 6 mill over the cap next year.

He's gone.

Reality is he's probably worth 3 years and 20-25 million on a new deal. Zero chance Arizona pays him 23.6 million for next year alone.

Also sounds like he wants out. He's got to be looking at his numbers and the log jam at WR for the Hall of Fame. Fitz has 12,151 yards right now. He's 31 years old. Tim Brown has 14,934 yards and still hasn't been voted in. Brown retired as the #2 all time WR in yards. Since then Brown was passed by Owens, Moss, Bruce and Gonzo. Basically, Fitz has averaged about 850 yards per season over the last 3 years. He'd need another 3 years at that pace just to get in the same ballpark as Tim Brown. Gotta think he'd love to go to NE or someplace where he'd get more than the 103 targets he got this year. NE just gave 134 and 119 targets to Edelman and Lafell respectively.

Reality is he's probably worth 3 years and 20-25 million on a new deal. Zero chance Arizona pays him 23.6 million for next year alone.

Also sounds like he wants out. He's got to be looking at his numbers and the log jam at WR for the Hall of Fame. Fitz has 12,151 yards right now. He's 31 years old. Tim Brown has 14,934 yards and still hasn't been voted in. Brown retired as the #2 all time WR in yards. Since then Brown was passed by Owens, Moss, Bruce and Gonzo. Basically, Fitz has averaged about 850 yards per season over the last 3 years. He'd need another 3 years at that pace just to get in the same ballpark as Tim Brown. Gotta think he'd love to go to NE or someplace where he'd get more than the 103 targets he got this year. NE just gave 134 and 119 targets to Edelman and Lafell respectively.

Brown is #6 in receiving yards - Owens is #2 with 15,934. Fitz needs four 946 yard seasons to pass Owens, at 31 I don't think he'll have trouble doing in even a decent situation.

Brown is #6 in receiving yards - Owens is #2 with 15,934. Fitz needs four 946 yard seasons to pass Owens, at 31 I don't think he'll have trouble doing in even a decent situation.

Larry Fitzgerald 14 games 103 targets 7.35/game

John Brown 16 games 102 targets 6.375/game

Michael Floyd 16 games 99 targets 6.18/game

Andre Ellington 12 games 64 targets 5.33/game

IMO planning on four more seasons is rough for somebody that's already 31. Fitz is already showing signs of slipping. At this point he knows the Arians offense isn't going to feature him. I would expect a similar target distribution again next year. Contrast that with the 145 targets that Carolina gave to Kelvin Benjamin. How many would he get from Drew Brees in NO if they move on from Colston? NE? There are a number of situations out there that would feature Fitzgerald a lot more than he is right now. Got to believe that is more desirable to him at this point.

I think he needs to win some hardware too. There is just too much competition in this age, and even though I would argue Fitz is the most complete WR of his era, there are several guys like Steve Smith, Andre Johnson, and Reggie Wayne that also have huge numbers compiled. I think Fitz gets lost in the mix unless he dazzles on his way out.

Save 9.2 mill by cutting him. They are roughly 6 mill over the cap next year.

He's gone.

:goodposting:

What the Cardinals FO has done in previous years was to decrease current year impact by converting guaranteed $ to a roster bonus, which becomes prorated over the remaining years. It helps the immediate year recognition of $, but as the remaining years shrink in number, this tactic creates greater future dead money (when the inevitable occurs). I can't imagine they feel Fitz warrants the same $9M salary he got in 2014, or even that restructuring for less is worth putting themselves facing an even greater dead money scenario in 2016. Even if they in theory restructure him down to $5M, the cap impact doesn't disappear, it just means more of it is being put off to a future dead money outcome.

hes def washed up. dude went on some wacky bullsht diet and killed all of his athleticism.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--cards--larry-fitzgerald-gives-up-favorite-foods-for-trendy-diet-and-chance-to-prolong-career.html

Fitzgerald is a sworn follower and insists that overhauling his eating habits have not only helped him feel healthier, but increased his overall level of performance – though his pass-catching numbers don't back up those sentiments. He has 14 catches for 181 yards and one touchdown reception

"There are certain things that I do – I don't eat chicken or pork," Fitzgerald said. "I stay away from red meat a lot;

hey buddy, might wanna get some meat and protein back in ur diet.

IMO planning on four more seasons is rough for somebody that's already 31. Fitz is already showing signs of slipping. At this point he knows the Arians offense isn't going to feature him. I would expect a similar target distribution again next year. Contrast that with the 145 targets that Carolina gave to Kelvin Benjamin. How many would he get from Drew Brees in NO if they move on from Colston? NE? There are a number of situations out there that would feature Fitzgerald a lot more than he is right now. Got to believe that is more desirable to him at this point.

Everyone thought Steve Smith was done at 31 and he's had three 1000 yard seasons since.

With his contract he's done in AZ. Personally I'd love him with the Vikings and see what he could do with Bridgewater, but almost anywhere else will be better for him.

When Fitz doesn't have Jr. HS QBs throwing him the ball and a coach who pretends Fitz is Wes Welker he'll be just fine. Can't happen soon enough -- he's nowhere near washed up.

• Like 1

hes def washed up. dude went on some wacky bullsht diet and killed all of his athleticism.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--cards--larry-fitzgerald-gives-up-favorite-foods-for-trendy-diet-and-chance-to-prolong-career.html

Fitzgerald is a sworn follower and insists that overhauling his eating habits have not only helped him feel healthier, but increased his overall level of performance – though his pass-catching numbers don't back up those sentiments. He has 14 catches for 181 yards and one touchdown reception

"There are certain things that I do – I don't eat chicken or pork," Fitzgerald said. "I stay away from red meat a lot;

hey buddy, might wanna get some meat and protein back in ur diet.

This is like saying that Eddie Van Halen wrote worse music because he stopped drinking.

There's causation and then there's correlation.

• Like 1

Everyone thought Steve Smith was done at 31 and he's had three 1000 yard seasons since.

With his contract he's done in AZ. Personally I'd love him with the Vikings and see what he could do with Bridgewater, but almost anywhere else will be better for him.

I don't think he's done at all. I do think it would be in his best interest to find a better situation going forward. There are plenty of offenses in the league with better QB situations that would give him 125-145 targets. Three or four more mediocre years in Arizona at less that 1000 yards/season isn't going to help his HOF credentials as much as other situations likely would.

Huge fan of his but he's done nothing to warrant HOF discussion. Playoffs 3 times, one Super Bowl appearance.

Huge fan of his but he's done nothing to warrant HOF discussion. Playoffs 3 times, one Super Bowl appearance.

I don't think wins and Super Bowls hurt other positins the way they do a quarterback.

:rolleyes: Barry Sanders never won a super bowl. What a scrub.

I'm not a huge Fitz fan, but what you said is not logical. I think he's got some pretty impressive records under his belt. If he plays for a few more years with a good QB, he'll likely have some high all time ranks which will make him a shoe in.

More career receptions at 22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31 than any other player in NFL history (IIRC). Despite playing with crap QBs for a significant chunk of his career.

Edited by wdcrob

Rotoworld:

Larry Fitzgerald acknowledged Tuesday that his contract needs to be addressed.

Appearing on ESPN's NFL Live, Fitz was somewhat evasive when asked if he expected to remain with the Cardinals for 2015, but hinted at a willingness to redo his deal. Everyone and their mother knows that Fitz's $16.25 million salary and $23.6 million cap number for 2015 are untenable. FOX Sports Arizona recently reported there's been "positive movement" in talks, but it's possible the sides won't get serious until shortly before Fitz's $8 million roster bonus comes due in March.
Jan 13 - 5:33 PM

Guest General Tso

I pray the Patriots, Panthers, Ravens, Saints, or Redskins sign him.

Why's that?

When Fitz doesn't have Jr. HS QBs throwing him the ball and a coach who pretends Fitz is Wes Welker he'll be just fine. Can't happen soon enough -- he's nowhere near washed up.

Really liked this point. He's a horse, let him run for cryin' out loud.

Gotta disagree with this. Fitz was certainly an "eye test" guy. What you saw him do - and do for a long time - definitely warrants inclusion in the HOF.

Rotoworld:

Cardinals president Michael Bidwill believes Larry Fitzgerald will be back with the team in 2015.

"I’m sure we’ll get it worked out," Bidwill said. "We’ve had a couple of conversations that I think were productive so we’ll continue those discussions." There is almost zero chance Arizona keeps Fitzgerald at his current $23.6 million cap hit, so those productive conversations likely centered around a pay cut for the 31-year-old wideout. After appearing resolutely opposed to a pay cut during the season, Fitzgerald has softened his stance in recent weeks. If a deal is to be done, it will have to be before Fitz's $8 million roster bonus comes due in March.

Source: ESPN
Jan 17 - 10:23 AM

If he's still there then Fitz has nobody to blame but himself for not sniffing another Superbowl and playing with garbage at GB

• Like 2

If he's still there then Fitz has nobody to blame but himself for not sniffing another Superbowl and playing with garbage at QB.

If Palmer could play again like he did last year they'd have a chance, but at nearly 36 and coming off a torn ACL I won't hope my breath for that.

What he did in the playoffs alone was HOF worthy. In 2007 playoffs in 4 games he posted 546 yards and 7 touchdowns. He was arguably the only reason they won most of those games. Remember, the Steelers win came down to the Santonio Holmes toe tap td. Before that was a Fitz td. I swear, it felt like he had game winning touchdowns in every playoff game that year.

What he did in the playoffs alone was HOF worthy. In 2007 playoffs in 4 games he posted 546 yards and 7 touchdowns. He was arguably the only reason they won most of those games. Remember, the Steelers win came down to the Santonio Holmes toe tap td. Before that was a Fitz td. I swear, it felt like he had game winning touchdowns in every playoff game that year.

Was going to post thesame thing. He was a monster in that super bowl run. Maybe the most dominant playoffs by a receiver ever.

I'm thinking he is going to have a Moss type rebirth with a good qb except he may still have 4 or 5 more quality seasons in him unlike Moss. From everything I have ever seen or heard about teh guy, he is a true professional.

Edited by medstudent

Rotoworld:

Cardinals president Michael Bidwell says restructuring Larry Fitzgerald's contract is the team's top priority, but acknowledged "it takes two to come to an agreement."

Fitzgerald will go down as the greatest receiver in Cardinals history, but right now his contract is holding the team back. A straight pay cut probably wouldn't appeal to Fitzgerald (he's scheduled to earn $16 million in 2015), but restructuring his deal could give Arizona enough cap room to sign a top flight free agent. Fitzgerald is coming off one of his worst statistical seasons, recording just 784 yards in 14 games. Of course, Arizona's revolving door at quarterback is at least partially to blame.

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 12 - 9:15 AM

Rotoworld:

Cardinals signed WR Larry Fitzgerald to a new two-year contract through 2016.

Fitzgerald was originally set to count a whopping $23.6 million against the 2015 cap. The new deal clears about $13 million. In exchange, Fitzgerald is guaranteed $11 million per year over the next two seasons and locked in with Arizona through his age-33 campaign. That will give Fitzgerald a chance to retire a member of the Cardinals. Prior to the new contract, the Cardinals were projected about $12 million over the cap. They now need to figure out what to do with LE Darnell Dockett's $9.8 million cap hit.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Feb 18 - 11:13 AM

####.

As a cards fan, I'm happy about this deal. He is the heart and soul of the team, and we save some cap space. Not a bad start to the offseason.

Keeping Larry Fitzgerald another good decision by Cardinals

By Josh Weinfuss | ESPN.com

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have made a lot of good decisions in the past few years.

Arizona, led by team president Michael Bidwill, has been making the right calls since it fired coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Rod Graves after the 2012 season. At that point, the locker room (and many games) were lost.

Then came a series of decisions that have framed the Cardinals' present and that will alter their future: promoting Steve Keim to general manager, hiring coach Bruce Arians and trading for quarterback Carson Palmer.

The decision Wednesday to re-sign star receiver Larry Fitzgerald is yet another in the long line of good decisions. It will leave its imprint on the Cardinals for years to come. Fitzgerald had been due an $8 million roster bonus in mid-March, which would bring his 2015 compensation to $16.25 million. His cap hit would have been $23.6 million.

Instead, the Cardinals gave Fitzgerald a new deal, re-signing him for two years and likely letting him finish his career with the Cardinals. Fitzgerald will receive $22 million in guaranteed money over the course of the new contract, according to ESPN sources and multiple reports.

It's the next in a long line of right decisions for a long line of good reasons.

First, as has been well-documented, is Fitzgerald's ability on the field. One reason his numbers declined last season -- the eight-time Pro Bowler had 784 receiving yards and a career-low two touchdowns in 2014 -- was his role in Arians' offense. Fitzgerald blocked more and was the Cardinals' second-most-targeted receiver on third downs in 2014, even though he caught more passes on third down than any of his teammates.

But he still has it.

Fitzgerald took a 4-yard pass over the middle 80 yards for a touchdown in Week 8 against the Eagles. He may not be as quick, but he is just as reliable. He had a drop percentage of 1 this past season.

Second, sure, his 2014 numbers were his lowest since his 2004 rookie season, but Fitzgerald was one of the most valuable players on the field. Case in point: Michael Floyd, who was expected to replace Fitzgerald as the Cardinals' No. 1 receiver in 2014, had 37 receptions for 628 yards and six touchdowns when Fitzgerald was also on the field. But Floyd caught only six passes for 155 yards without a touchdown with Fitzgerald on the sideline.

Having Fitzgerald on the field instantly makes defenses wary. If they ease off Fitzgerald, he can make them pay. If they double or bracket him, another receiver is open. Even though he's a surefire Hall of Famer, he's still used as a decoy. And it works.

Third, losing Fitzgerald to free agency and another team would have been a major blow for the perception of the franchise. As a state, Arizona is already full of transient fan bases, so winning the battle to convert them into Cardinals' fans hasn't been easy -- especially before Arizona's run to the Super Bowl in 2008. But a constant during the past decade has been Fitzgerald. Take him away, and the Cardinals would lose the face of their franchise, their heart, their soul. And they'd lose some of their fan base. A franchise that still hasn't entrenched itself as an annual contender can't afford to let the one man people pay to see, whose jersey most fans wear, just walk away.

That's why keeping Fitzgerald is the right move for the Cardinals. It helps their product on and off the field. Like any aging star, the 31-year-old Fitzgerald isn't the 20-year-old version of himself. He changes, his game changes, the team changes.

But keeping him a Cardinal was the latest good decision by Bidwill and the Cardinals.

Didn't break 40 yards receiving for 6 straight games to end the season. Finished the year with 784 and 2. Gets 11 million guaranteed for two years. Wierd that cheap ownership keeps overpaying him.

Didn't break 40 yards receiving for 6 straight games to end the season. Finished the year with 784 and 2. Gets 11 million guaranteed for two years. Wierd that cheap ownership keeps overpaying him.

Wait....people still think Cards ownership is cheap!?? Mind boggling.