What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (3 Viewers)

The Titans have very inexperienced weapons, but they have loads of talent. The OC just doesn't use them as such. Adoree hasn't even played O this year, Henry rarely gets short yardage runs but he's the biggest beast in football, run right when they led the NFL running left last year....soooo much wrong and Marcus has to somehow do his thing
So much right in this sentence. And that could be why Mularkey has been in the house which may have led to a reasonable performance against Dallas

Marcus Mariota completed 16-of-24 passes for 228 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' Week 10 win over the Patriots.

He added a 21-yard reception and two carries for 21 yards on the ground. Mariota has now been highly efficient in three straight games, the first a one-point loss to the Chargers in a game the Titans very nearly won, and the last two upset victories over Dallas and New England. Mariota is squarely in the QB1 crosshairs ahead of a potential Week 11 shootout at Indy's Lucas Oil Stadium.

Nov 11 - 5:39 PM

If that game was "Mariota looking great" I rest my case.  He just doesn't stack up as an NFL passer.  You could see it all game long, especially on slant routes that were consistently thrown 100 mph into traffic.  He also missed receivers open in the flat early in the play numerous times.  His mobility is above average...that's about it though.
Still?

Yeah, I just don't see it.  ??  I realize this will come across as stubborn at best or Shark Pool trollish at worst, but I just don't believe in Mariota.  I watched the majority of today's game and he had a lot of time and made the basic throws.  He just waits too long to throw the rock...which wasn't a problem today against the Pats defense.

Not saying Mariota is Osweiler/Peterson bad but to expect him to make anticipation throws against tough defenses, hit back shoulder darts on 3rd and 5, or to consistently be accurate in the pocket just seems like a reach.  He seems to be a genuinely good guy, but I wouldn't want my teams Super Bowl hopes riding on his right arm.

Yeah, I just don't see it.  ??  I realize this will come across as stubborn at best or Shark Pool trollish at worst, but I just don't believe in Mariota.  I watched the majority of today's game and he had a lot of time and made the basic throws.  He just waits too long to throw the rock...which wasn't a problem today against the Pats defense.

Not saying Mariota is Osweiler/Peterson bad but to expect him to make anticipation throws against tough defenses, hit back shoulder darts on 3rd and 5, or to consistently be accurate in the pocket just seems like a reach.  He seems to be a genuinely good guy, but I wouldn't want my teams Super Bowl hopes riding on his right arm.
It seems you want him to be Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady. Chances are he won't be that kind of QB. he's a mobile QB with a better arm than most mobile QBs have had. 

He's more akin to Donovan McNabb with lesser coaching. Hopefully that coaching improves, as it's been showing at times this year. To me that's the biggest thing, the team needs better coaching than he's had.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems you want him to be Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady. Chances are he won't be that kind of QB. he's a mobile QB with a better arm than most mobile QBs have had. 

He's more akin to Donovan McNabb with lesser coaching. Hopefully that coaching improves, as it's been showing at times this year. To me that's the biggest thing, the team needs better coaching than he's had.
He is mobile but his movement in the pocket is below average. He doesn’t look like he makes it past his first read on most plays and I am not sure his arm strength is in the top 50% of league starters. He made some good throws today from what I saw but I didn’t finish the game thinking he was anything other than an average QB. He seems like a great person but IMO he is reliant on successful play calling more so than being able to carry a team with his arm talent and quarterbacking skills. 

King of the Jungle said:
He is mobile but his movement in the pocket is below average. He doesn’t look like he makes it past his first read on most plays and I am not sure his arm strength is in the top 50% of league starters. He made some good throws today from what I saw but I didn’t finish the game thinking he was anything other than an average QB. He seems like a great person but IMO he is reliant on successful play calling more so than being able to carry a team with his arm talent and quarterbacking skills. 
Half this is absurd. Watch an Oregon game, google Mariota highlights and see what comes up....guy throws it far and across the field while on the run.

It's fair to say he relies on successful play calling but you also gotta be fair and say he has had two guys that were famously bad in Robiske and Whisenhunt followed by LaFleur who has only been an actual OC for 8 weeks and many were already calling for his job. My gripe with him is along these lines, I want him to take over on a bad day and put the team on his back. He has maybe done that twice but he really could do alot better in this regard. I think that comes with maturation.

Marcus was allowed to change plays at the LOS today for the first time with this staff. Under Robiske, he was so proficient at it that they actually took it away from him as if it hurt Robiske's ego. That was a whole what the...chain of events. Anywho, I think this helps a QBs comfort. 

He just had a real good day against one of the best defensive minds ever coaching for the other team. Why rag on him now? Let him have his day

Half this is absurd. Watch an Oregon game, google Mariota highlights and see what comes up....guy throws it far and across the field while on the run.

It's fair to say he relies on successful play calling but you also gotta be fair and say he has had two guys that were famously bad in Robiske and Whisenhunt followed by LaFleur who has only been an actual OC for 8 weeks and many were already calling for his job. My gripe with him is along these lines, I want him to take over on a bad day and put the team on his back. He has maybe done that twice but he really could do alot better in this regard. I think that comes with maturation.

Marcus was allowed to change plays at the LOS today for the first time with this staff. Under Robiske, he was so proficient at it that they actually took it away from him as if it hurt Robiske's ego. That was a whole what the...chain of events. Anywho, I think this helps a QBs comfort. 

He just had a real good day against one of the best defensive minds ever coaching for the other team. Why rag on him now? Let him have his day
You see him more than I do so I trust your opinion more. Just a couple of casual observations and even though they had success I just didn’t come away terribly impressed from what I saw. The arm strength comment may be unfair as he was using touch on more throws versus gunning it. He also had a couple throws that he either lost grip on or didn’t throw well. Minor in overall picture.

Again I am not a scout but I just couldn’t get past the fact that it seemed like he was basically making one read on most plays. I  certainly could be wrong on that but he didn’t seem to go through progressions.

It was also surprising to me that he didn’t seem to shift real well in the pocket considering how mobile he is. I would like to see him moving around a little more and at least threatening the defense with his legs.

As I posted in the Corey Davis thread his numbers have been dreadful at times....Last year he ended the season with 4/6 games under 200 yards passing. This year 4/7 games have been under 130 yards passing. 

Those numbers pose a concern. Hopefully it has been a combination of injury and poor playcalling that has kept him from truly shining. 

I am rooting for the guy and it was great to see them kick the Pats butt. Titans have an interesting team and if he can improve they will be tough to handle.

Mariota has 228-2 and added 42 yards from scrimmage (21 rushing, 21 receiving) in the win over New England. Despite ownership at only 15-40 percent, his fantasy stock is sharply rising and he’s going to be a popular pickup this week in all formats. The next six matchups (@IND, @HOU, NYJ, JAC, @NYG, WAS) are all favorable.
-fftoday

Was impressed with what I saw against Dallas two weeks ago. Thought for sure Dallas was going to smoke 'em. Nope. That game was in Dallas as well.

Indy plays at a fast pace. Could see this a higher scoring game. Think MM has a decent chance for ceiling this week against this D.

From NFL.Com Bucky Brooks

Is Marcus Mariota really a $100 million quarterback?

On the surface, the No. 2 overall pick of the 2015 NFL Draft checks numerous boxes as a franchise quarterback, with an enviable combination of size, speed, athleticism and arm talent. Displaying solid leadership skills and big-game moxie (remember last January's road playoff win in Kansas City?), Mariota appears to be the right kind of quarterback to lead the Tennessee Titans' blue-collar outfit for the next decade.

"You notice good football players on the road when you're scouting, and he was a guy that had a quiet confidence about him, that distributed the football well, that had a unique balance of arm talent and athleticism and just thought he was going to be a really good football player," Titans general manager Jon Robinson said about his franchise quarterback during an interview on the Jim Rome Show in 2016 shortly after being hired by Tennessee.

While all of those factors are certainly true, Mariota still has been an inconsistent player over the past few seasons. At this point, quantifying his value as a franchise quarterback is no easy task.

The fourth-year pro sports a 23-26 career record as a starter, with a 62.5 percent career completion rate, a 65:39 touchdown-to-interception ratio and an 88.8 passer rating. Over the past 23 regular-season games -- going back to the beginning of the 2017 campaign -- the TD-to-INT ratio sits at 20:20, with only five games above a 100.0 passer rating during that span. Certainly not eye-popping statistics for a so-called franchise quarterback, which is why the Titans face something of a conundrum when it comes to the franchise's future plans at the game's most important position. Mariota is poised to play on his fifth-year option in 2019, at a rate of $20.9 million, but he could be tracking toward inking a deal worth more than $25 million annually when all is said and done.

That's a whole lot of cheese for a quarterback who currently ranks 37th in passing yards per game(187.2), behind the likes of Dak Prescott (214.4), C.J. Beathard (208.7), Brock Osweiler (207.8) and Ryan Tannehill (194.4). Mariota's 89.9 passer rating puts him behind Derek Carr (93.5), Eli Manning(92.7), Prescott (90.8), Alex Smith (90.7) and Andy Dalton (90.7). Considering how much hate the football world spews on many of those other passers, you can see the dilemma facing the Titans when making a decision on how to value their QB1 in the current marketplace.

Is an average quarterback worth $100 million dollars or should the team look for another QB1?

"He's not a Tier 1 or Tier 2 quarterback, but you have to keep him," an NFC personnel director told me. "It's hard to find an elite quarterback in this league, so you have to continue to build around him and hope that he develops into an upper-echelon player with the right supporting cast in the right system."

With that in mind, the Titans have attempted to build around their young quarterback. They've invested a ton of draft capital and free-agent dollars in offensive skill players, and they brought in a new offensive coordinator (Matt LaFleur) with a scheme designed to maximize Mariota's talents. After a slow start to the 2018 season, where the QB slogged through six straight games with a passer rating under 100.0, Mariota has posted dazzling figures of 119.9 and 125.0 over the past two weeks -- easy wins over the Cowboys and Patriots. Mariota has posted a 69.8 percent completion rate with a 4:0 TD-to-INT ratio during this span.

Studying the All-22 Coaches Film of those performances, Mariota is at his best when he plays like an athlete at the quarterback position. He flourishes when he is able to throw on the move on bootlegs and scrambles. Mariota has a knack for finding open receivers on second-reaction plays, when the defense breaks down as he flees the pocket. In addition, the 25-year-old is a spectacular runner who's quite adept at executing the zone-read and other designed QB run concepts on the perimeter. Although his injury history prevents the Titans from extensively utilizing these concepts, Mariota's elusiveness and explosiveness as a runner add a dangerous element to the offense.

From the pocket, Mariota is at his best making quick-rhythm throws to the perimeter. He excels throwing quicks and in-breaking routes at short and intermediate range. He also shows impressive accuracy, touch and anticipation tossing post-corners to receivers down the field. Mariota consistently places his passes on the proper shoulder along the boundary, which makes it hard for defenders to make a play on the ball.

From a critical standpoint, Mariota remains a little inconsistent as a passer from the pocket. He misses a handful of layups each game -- which is odd, based on his feathery touch and solid instincts. In addition, Mariota hasn't shown opponents that he can consistently pick apart a defense with a surgeon's precision from the pocket. Granted, he is still acclimating to a new scheme and play caller, but his inconsistent stretches are more user error than poor play design.

That said, Mariota is certainly good enough to win games in this league. He is a mobile playmaker with the potential to be a true difference-maker as a dual-threat quarterback. No. 8 needs to continue to refine his game as a passer, but he's trending in the right direction in Tennessee's current system.

From a monetary standpoint, the Titans should bite the bullet and pay market rate for their young QB1, based on his potential and the dearth of other enticing options available. With an average quarterback class in the 2019 draft and a bunch of ho-hum prospects heading toward the free-agent market, Tennessee is better served investing in its young QB1 and continuing to add pieces around him to help him play winning football from the pocket. This approach has served Alex Smith's employers well during the latter part of his career, and it certainly could help the Titans remain a fringe contender with a quarterback offering a similar game

Vrabel said after the game he was not injured and could have gone back in. 

Maybe something swells the next day but...Ian's report is counter to what the head coach said

Vrabel said after the game he was not injured and could have gone back in. 

Maybe something swells the next day but...Ian's report is counter to what the head coach said
"appears to have." According to whom? Ian Rapoport? This is the kind of reporting that is "bending the rules" and quite irresponsible, but it's in the age of having to be first. He says Titans are waiting to hear about his injury status, then goes on to speculate that he "appears to have reaggravated a nerve issue" without any sources to back up that claim.

I'm not expecting Mariota to miss any time as it made sense as to what the coach said

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9385/marcus-mariota

Titans coach Mike Vrabel said Marcus Mariota suffered a stinger Week 11 against the Colts.

The coach added Mariota is not in the concussion protocol, and he is hopeful the quarterback will be able to play Monday night against the Texans. It is good news Mariota did not re-injure his troublesome elbow, but it is concerning he is dealing with another nerve injury. Blaine Gabbert will get the start if Mariota cannot return. If that happens, the Texans DST will be the top play on the board.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Yeah Vrabel said stinger today.

Again Mariota said he could go back in but Vrabel went with Gabbert.

Mariota was displeased.

There's like this almost drama but...its just not there 

Drama is probably coming...I'd bet $ that Mariota is benched with a "give him a week to recover" designation. LOTS of Titans were not happy Marcus wasn't allowed back in. That plus LaFleur taking away his ability to change plays at the LOS. I'm telling ya I would bet good $ this happens. I could be wrong but if ever there was a time one could foresee a coach or OC about to shoot themselves in the foot, this is it

Drama is probably coming...I'd bet $ that Mariota is benched with a "give him a week to recover" designation. LOTS of Titans were not happy Marcus wasn't allowed back in. That plus LaFleur taking away his ability to change plays at the LOS. I'm telling ya I would bet good $ this happens. I could be wrong but if ever there was a time one could foresee a coach or OC about to shoot themselves in the foot, this is it
Why did LaFleur take away his ability to change play at line of scrimmage?  Is that confirmed?  I was expecting Marcus back for Monday, it is sort of a must win game.

Why did LaFleur take away his ability to change play at line of scrimmage?  Is that confirmed?  I was expecting Marcus back for Monday, it is sort of a must win game.
It appears the exact same as with Robiske. MM8 does so well at calling plays, better than the OC, so they take it away like his pride is hurt.

He looks fine and talks fine and all in today's presser. He followed Vrabel saying the same thing. He was limited doing individual drills and hoping he can play. Dont forget its a stinger. We'll see we'll see but Gabbert practiced with the ones

Kenneth Adams and Amy were at the facility doing things for the people of TEN. LaFleur had a meeting with JRob. Mariota is starting.

Nothing as far as details or what happened just that all the talk of Gabbert starting is completely gone

Marcus Mariota completed 22-of-23 passes for 304 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' 34-17, Week 12 loss to the Texans on Monday night.

Mariota completed his first 19 passes of the night, channeling his inner Philip Rivers who set the record with 25 straight completions on Sunday Mariota didn't have his first incompletion until there was 1:06 left in the fourth quarter. He finished with a near-perfect 147.7 passer rating and threw 61- and 48-yard touchdown passes to Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis, respectively. Smith did all the work on his, racking up a ton of YAC as he went almost untouched to the end zone after not being covered. Davis' ball was a deep shot down the right side. He was wide open. Mariota added 28 rushing yards. One of the most unpredictable players at the position, Mariota can pop up for big games in random spots and totally bottom out in perceived good matchups. This offense is bipolar as a whole. Mariota will get the Jets at home in Week 13.

Nov 26 - 11:06 PM

O'Hara and Mariota spoke to LaFleur and Vrabel about a second half gameplan and what they saw. 

I don't know whose voice was bigger, had more input. Whose ideas things were or anything more.

Second half was way better.

We did learn that O'Hara (former arena league coach) has been the one that has been adamant that Mariota must be allowed to use his feet and not be trapped in the pocket.

Maybe this means the QB coach will be allowed more input moving forward? I don't know...just interesting as is

Mariota has best ever stats in the red zone and fourth quarter....still. It's been that way since he entered the league. I would hang onto that for dynasty. They've had awful OCs in TEN and he's found a way, regardless, when it matters.  I think the stats illustrate a guy that could put it all together soon if the offense suits him well enough.

Mariota has best ever stats in the red zone and fourth quarter....still. It's been that way since he entered the league. I would hang onto that for dynasty. They've had awful OCs in TEN and he's found a way, regardless, when it matters.  I think the stats illustrate a guy that could put it all together soon if the offense suits him well enough.
I would like that for Mariota. He's an easy guy to like. But when I watch him, he seems to always struggle throwing the deep ball. I don't know if that is correctable at this point.

I would like that for Mariota. He's an easy guy to like. But when I watch him, he seems to always struggle throwing the deep ball. I don't know if that is correctable at this point.
Did you see yesterday? That one to Taylor was perfect, others were nice.

He's been great at the deep ball in high school and college, then curiously had issues in the pros but he's had his moments the last couple years.

Did you see yesterday? That one to Taylor was perfect, others were nice.

He's been great at the deep ball in high school and college, then curiously had issues in the pros but he's had his moments the last couple years.
I get that it's not just him, but he seems so freaking awesome sometimes. Then the opposite at times. Seems way too inconsistent for what I thought he'd be. 

Still a big fan, maybe I'm just frustrated.

Nothing against Vrabel as I am a big fan of the guy but Mariota needs an offensive minded coach, and a consistent one at that, to fully develop him.  Perhaps even a QB coach who has a better resume than this:

Pat O'Hara has coached Adam Sandler, Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson for roles in football movies.

Next, he'll turn his attention to Marcus Mariota.

Nothing against Vrabel as I am a big fan of the guy but Mariota needs an offensive minded coach, and a consistent one at that, to fully develop him.  Perhaps even a QB coach who has a better resume than this:
This guy has been good lately. We never hear of QB coaches but, finally some good news from a Titans coach. I mean in a maddenish way, an Arena league guy is the perfect compliment to a mobile QB like Mariota. Technique and everything else...I have no idea if he coaches that well but I do know there has been a lot of talk of Mariota's technique this year so he did correct some thing.

I still want Vince Passas as do a very large number of Titans fans. Mariota's HS coach has produced a number of QBs that have been on NFL teams and Tua and his lil bro. (Yep I'll never forget that Matt Mariota he says was the best) The guy is so knowledgeable in interviews and they love him. He spends 10 minutes discussing their different deliveries and why one throws better on the run versus the pocket for several minutes and it's just like woah! That's a QB coach. Supposedly he's a great HS offensive mind but...I'm just looking for a QB coach. The tiny details he discusses and how much he digs, it is so beyond the high school level that Nick Saban hired him the day he met him. On the other hand, how many NFL teams boast or brag about their QB coach? The risk is so minimal, I so wish the Titans would just do it.

LaFleur is really flirting with getting fired. Maybe there will be an opening at OC and QB coach. 

For now, it only took ignoring Titans fans for years, but they finally seem to be letting him move around. He is rough when stuck in the pocket but fun when he can move. Take a game like tonight. The Jags could squash him with their DL so every coach would want him in the pocket but he's a better athlete than most rushing him or faster than them or whatever, so let him be him. I'm at a point where the Titans win if he can be mobile or lose if he can't...not sure how accurate, it's just so old n obvious now

Marcus Mariota - QB -  Titans

Marcus Mariota completed 18-of-24 passes for 162 yards with one interception in the Titans' Week 14 win over the Jaguars.

Mariota had a first row seat to the Derrick Henry Show tonight, so Mariota wasn't needed. After Henry ran for his fourth touchdown of the night, the Titans purposely tried to get him a fifth score, which obviously hurt Mariota's fantasy line. The Titans will face another franchise in a downward spiral next week when they visit the New York Giants, and Mariota will be a QB2 in that contest with more opportunities for touchdowns.

Dec 6 - 11:32 PM

I don't get the repeated narrative regarding Mariota. 

Henry didn't hurt Mariota's fantasy line - that is Mariota's fantasy line... more often than not.  

I don't get the repeated narrative regarding Mariota. 

Henry didn't hurt Mariota's fantasy line - that is Mariota's fantasy line... more often than not.  
You didnt understand the blurb then. They said they tried to get Henry a 5th score, which meant Mariota wasnt running it in himself or passing for that score attempt. So yes, that choice of play calling hurt Mariotas stat line, because it could have been a little better 

You didnt understand the blurb then. They said they tried to get Henry a 5th score, which meant Mariota wasnt running it in himself or passing for that score attempt. So yes, that choice of play calling hurt Mariotas stat line, because it could have been a little better 
Don't bother, he is just a Mariota hater

And you didn't seem to understand my blurb.

What hurt his fantasy line was his inability to throw the ball like an NFL QB.   You cant say it hurt his fantasy line when his fantasy line is exactly what you would expect from him.... under 200 yards and less than 1 TD passing. 

Tennessee = Dallas = screwed if they sign their QBs long term.  

And you didn't seem to understand my blurb.

What hurt his fantasy line was his inability to throw the ball like an NFL QB.   You cant say it hurt his fantasy line when his fantasy line is exactly what you would expect from him.... under 200 yards and less than 1 TD passing. 

Tennessee = Dallas = screwed if they sign their QBs long term.  
While you are correct, he had a bad day, the news story was pointing out it was worse than it could have been because of a deliberate effort to get Henry a 5th TD rather than let Mariota score 

But I think you understand that and are just looking to take a jab at Mariota any way you can

While you are correct, he had a bad day, the news story was pointing out it was worse than it could have been because of a deliberate effort to get Henry a 5th TD rather than let Mariota score 

But I think you understand that and are just looking to take a jab at Mariota any way you can
I don't need to jab at Mariota anymore.  It is this narrative that you repeat in your post that I am jabbing at.

At this point "he had a bad day" is most days.  What you are referring to as a "bad day" is literally (no opinion necessary) his normal day.  He is a starting QB during the most prolific scoring and passing era in NFL history.... averaging less than 200 yards and less than 1 td per game.

The "jabs" are at the narrative, every week, that there is some other reason for his "bad days".   Two seasons running now - let's call a spade a spade. 

He is not an NFL caliber QB.  Worse, he is a boring QB.

I don't need to jab at Mariota anymore.  It is this narrative that you repeat in your post that I am jabbing at.

At this point "he had a bad day" is most days.  What you are referring to as a "bad day" is literally (no opinion necessary) his normal day.  He is a starting QB during the most prolific scoring and passing era in NFL history.... averaging less than 200 yards and less than 1 td per game.

The "jabs" are at the narrative, every week, that there is some other reason for his "bad days".   Two seasons running now - let's call a spade a spade. 

Cool. 

Doesn't change the fact his day could have been a little better had they not purposely fed Henry for TDs. 

Titans don't make the playoffs last year without Mariota and they definately don't win at Kansas City in the playoffs without him.  He isn't being asked to throw a whole lot, but you know that and just choose to be obtuse.

Cool. 

Doesn't change the fact his day could have been a little better had they not purposely fed Henry for TDs. 
Cool.

Doesn't change the fact his day would have been a LOT better if instead of the interception he hit the wide open WR.  Or any of his down field throws.

Rinse and repeat most weeks.

Titans don't make the playoffs last year without Mariota and they definately don't win at Kansas City in the playoffs without him.  He isn't being asked to throw a whole lot, but you know that and just choose to be obtuse.
An NFL QB that isn't being asked to throw a lot in today's game.  Makes sense.

eta - those games, and wins like last night are what will inevitably end up in years of mediocrity for TEN if they sign this guy long term,

eta again - worse than mediocrity, unwatchable football, boring.

eta - those games, and wins like last night are what will inevitably end up in years of mediocrity for TEN if they sign this guy long term,

Cool, because the borderline playoff team doesn't play the way you want, he sucks. Got it. 

I would like him to throw more, I expected Taywan Taylor to be pretty good but his stats haven't born that out. Davis should put up better stats and probably would in LA, Philly, KC, etc. 

Marcus hasn't become an elite passer, not above average for that matter. That seems to be all you want from the QB, and I can't really fault that opinion.

We'll just disagree on whether Mariota is a starting caliber QB. 

I'd like him to improve as a passer for sure, but he does a darn good job in every other facet, other than staying fully healthy. I'll take him over Winston, and probably half the current starters. 

In all honesty, if he wasn't such a high quality, likeable guy, many of us would probably agree. But leadership matters. Availability does too, so it's frustrating to see him get injured this often. 

I still like him way too much to want the Titans to move on. 

It's not him. It hasn't been him most times. He's a super good guy and he's been being a good soldier much of his career, just following orders. 

I've been saying that this year he needs to start to speak up. I get the whole not talking back to your boss, doing what your told thing but that's part of maturing too. 

They let him call his own plays/audible and the O looked real good. Then they took it away. That's the second time in his career where he calls plays, the O does well, and the OC takes this ability away as if his own pride is hurt that the O looks better when Marcus calls em'. Still, he must speak up. A few games, ago, at the urging of his QB coach, Marcus did at halftime and met with Vrabel and LaFleur at halftime. The first half was yuck, second half was soooo much better. (also, Vrabel wants him to speak up too)  

There hasn't been any probs since, til yesterday and he was out of the game so not in a position to talk at halftime.

Ya gotta also keep in mind the turnover Marcus has witnessed. Speaking out, didn't help his coaches careers.

The Titans always have something up their sleeve when hiring OCs and they never just get someone with a good rep as an OC.

Dowell Loggains decided throwing a million short passes would work and skip the O. Didn't work in Ten, didn't work in Chicago.

Everyone knows Robiskie...as a WR coach

Bratkowski has a decent rep as an OC, but he was briefly a WR coach in TEN

LaFleur is this up N coming guy based on INTERVIEWS. Yeah, not on a single thing he did. This was the first year he called plays...ever.

Titans fans are sick of all this "cute" stuff on offense and whenever they get something rolling, they go away from it because some OC has a "clever" idea. We're looking for normal, regular, average. It would be nice to have a great OC and all but faaaa normal would be fine.

Now Vrabel has praised Marcus' QB coach lately and while it's still not a certain thing that this OC gets fired, if he does, I gotta believe the QB coach could replace him. That guy is a former Arena league coach. I love the idea of Marcus ad-libbing and pretending he's in the arena league but that's still not a normal choice if it happens.

WRs- Everyone loved Hunter, Wright, and DGB for potential but they all stunk. Marcus has had tons n tons of WRs. I applaud their effort to get him the WR talent, but they stink at it and should just sign free agents. None of those guys (Although hunter has actually had a couple moments) have done jack outside of TEN so it's not like Marcus made them bad WRs, if anything they played better with him.

Best ever red zone percentage, fourth quarter comebacks in line with the greats, only failed twice on "and 1" runs, has two games with best ever completion percentage. There's definitely something there. 

When opposing coaches come to town, when press comes during the summer...all these people rave about him. 

Don't forget his peers and coaches voted him into the pro bowl despite a yuck season.

I think we're looking at Sam Bradford II and the Titans have to do something to ensure that doesn't happen. He can't be in games where the line allows 10 sacks. He can't have a new WR corps and new OC every year. Everything is there, no doubt, but they aren't doing him any favors in furthering his career.

Josh McCown and Josh McDaniels actually did a real nice long interview about this stuff (Brady had like a minute in it, but is listed in the promo) Briefly they mentioned Rishard Matthews and Marcus and how catastrophic it can be to a young QB to lose his goto WR that was top ten on third down efficiency.  McCown said that at one point in his career he decided to start making some off throws in camp and see which WRs could go get it anyway. Google for it, there's a whole lot to just how important continuity is to QBs.

Kurt Warner talks way too much but he often talks about this subject and says the teams are unfair and unreasonable. 

One last thing, re Marcus and free agency- I would bet some big $ that Belichick would "give up the farm" to land Marcus (or Jurrell Casey) from the Titans. The things he says...I'm telling ya, he would love to get his hands on Marcus. When Marcus is a FA, maybe this is worth discussing and seeing how much BB would give up, but when the best coach loves your player, there's gotta be something there.

So the way I think of it is that he has to grow up or mature. They're messing this up by changing everything all the time. 

Users who are viewing this thread